Euro 2016

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So, after another England flameout and the ouster of Hodgson, I've heard rumors this morning that the FA may look at Klinsmann to replace him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hearing Southgate (you'll have to google him) or Wenger (right...)

I have a feeling that it's neither, and Klinmsann is not on their list either I'd imagine.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1ebr8q4f said:
Uncle Si":1ebr8q4f said:
Ace_Rimmer":1ebr8q4f said:
Hawk-Lock":1ebr8q4f said:
Iceland pulls off the upset over England.

A country of 300,000 people, and they can produce a team like that, and in Canada we can't even qualify for the World Cup. Makes me shake my head at how inept we are at footie.

Canada is an interesting set up. We get some very good players from there down here with our DAs. And I know the youth set up is very organized, consistent in its messages and funneling talent to the top. Is it just a lack of players?

We have a lot of talent up here in BC for sure. my son was in the Whitecaps pipeline and plays in our Premier League, and is just starting to get offers for college ball. He is holding out for down south somewhere, and I would love it if UW gave him a scholarship as it would make it accessible for us to see his home games.

We have a tonne of players in Canada but the philosophy has only made a shift (in BC at least) in the past few years with the implementation of the Premier League where we have paid qualified coaches teaching our kids.

Hockey plays a big role here, and it seems like that is where we pour most of our money and attention into which is a shame because there are some right good players in Canada that could make the jump to the pro leagues better if they had the right structure s in place to climb the ladder.

With the Premier League in BC, it is a start and we will only start to see the results here in the next few years as the first crop of graduating players will be coming of age(my son included).

We have entertained a handful of Whitecap's players down here in MN. Some have done trainings with our club, or gone on trial with the two DAs here. Only come across one kid from Toronto. We also bring down this club every Summer to play and train. They are from Alberta. Not a bad club. It all looks a little thin when you put it together. I'm surprised to hear the league system is just taking effect there. I would have assumed it existed long ago, but maybe not. I know of the provincial's. Seemed like (atleast in Alberta) that everything was organized at the National level and fed directly into it. Opposite of down here. Everything is organized by local entities and they feed into an organization that the USSF will look at. Then you have ODP (Olympic Development) that is run by the USSF but does not get the best quality players (as they tend to stay away, knowing full well they will be found at the DA features anyways). It's all a bit convoluted.

Blueboy

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1tpvli36 said:

I have a feeling that it's neither, and Klinmsann is not on their list either I'd imagine.

Southgate will fit in just nice, the type of yes man the FA will be looking for. :pukeface:

Boycie

Reaction score
The BCSPL has been going since 2012 I believe. We have a BC Provincial Team program, and the teams that my son has played for usually go down and compete against teams in the US like Crossfire Academy, and the Sounders, and Timbers Academy teams, and we usually beat up on them pretty well. Toronto, and BC are definitely the stronger provinces, although Alberta, and Quebec have some good programs too.

Is the club you bring down Calgary Foothills? They are a good club from what I have seen.

If we put half as much focus on soccer in Canada as we do with hockey, I think we could easily make a push to get to the World CUp years down the road, but it will take a major shift in our national philosophy to do so, and that change will not see results for probably a decade.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1k8q9iv6 said:
Hawk-Lock":1k8q9iv6 said:

A country of 300,000 people, and they can produce a team like that, and in Canada we can't even qualify for the World Cup. Makes me shake my head at how inept we are at footie.

Being a Finn, that sounds awfully familiar.. hockey gets the best talent as it's the best chance to make it big at pros. Still, soccer has the most registered players and we have never made an appearance at the worlds or euros... sigh.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TwilightError":3cce20kq said:
Ace_Rimmer":3cce20kq said:
Hawk-Lock":3cce20kq said:

Being a Finn, that sounds awfully familiar.. hockey gets the best talent as it's the best chance to make it big at pros. Still, soccer has the most registered players and we have never made an appearance at the worlds or euros... sigh.

Honestly not much different than the US.

Statistically, more kids play youth soccer before grade 8 than any of the other sports combined. Think about that. But the country struggles to move forward in terms of the sport.

It may be due in part to other sports ("imagine if Lebron or Richard Sherman played soccer!" gets a ton of run) but it really is about the development program and how the players are brought along.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Blueboy":1btiincx said:
Uncle Si":1btiincx said:

Southgate will fit in just nice, the type of yes man the FA will be looking for. :pukeface:

saw this nugget today:

Rory Smith (@RorySmithTimes)

6/30/16, 9:47 AM

Hoddle, Scolari and Klinsmann all early contenders to replace Hodgson.

I'd be happy to see Klinsmann move on from the USMNT in this type of manner. More of a clean break and may continue to foster belief he was always the right choice. My concern is he is let go, and people believe that the last 6 years have been wasted and have to start over. That is certainly not the case.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Looks like Iceland's dream run is over. Down to France 4-0 at the half. Hopefully the semifinal of France v Germany is better than the Italy v Germany match.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
SeatownJay":10l2htxx said:
Looks like Iceland's dream run is over. Down to France 4-0 at the half. Hopefully the semifinal of France v Germany is better than the Italy v Germany match.

That Italy vs. Germany game had some of the worst PK's I've ever seen.