Everyone's blaming Bevell, but......

cymatica

Reaction score
At the end of the game we had a chance to win. The coaches aren't on the field, so that's all we can ask of them. We missed the kick, but a tie on the road against a division rival is a pretty decent consolation prize.

I am not talking about the end of the game, whete we finally put one drive together, and only one drive. The only reason we had a chance to win was a phenomenal goaline stabd and a little luck(yes them missing a fg at the 1 involves some luck).

What about not being able to put a single drive together for 4 quarters?

Sioux, don't mean to go after you, but you keep answering these specific examples being brought up with generalized talking points. Yes the players didnt execute, now why was that?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
austinslater25":2llijj2v said:
This last point is one the very pro bevell crowd never answers. I don't think he is the main problem for sure but he's a part of the problem.

Of course he's part of the problem. When the offense is bad, everyone's part of the problem. That's how team sports works.

To lay the blame, even the majority of the blame at the feat of a coordinator is lazy fandom at it's worse........especially a coordinator that's helped Russell become an elite QB, this offense become a top 10 offense when healthy, with being hamstrung on a team that dedicates the majority of it's cap to the defensive side of the ball.

So here's my question for the Bevell haters. Why is literally NO one of educated football minds on the radio, TV, national media, ex coaches, ex players............not a one has come forward and laid the blame for the Seahawk's offensive problems at the feet of Bevell?

These are all smarter people than us right? Very knowledgeable about the game, yet I've yet to read, hear or see "Fire Bevell." They all say the same thing we say, serious injuries, horrible O-line, bad RB situation, etc.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1jvfja5v said:
Of course he's part of the problem. When the offense is bad, everyone's part of the problem. That's how team sports works.

To lay the blame, even the majority of the blame at the feat of a coordinator is lazy fandom at it's worse........especially a coordinator that's helped Russell become an elite QB, this offense become a top 10 offense when healthy, with being hamstrung on a team that dedicates the majority of it's cap to the defensive side of the ball.

So here's my question for the Bevell haters. Why is literally NO one of educated football minds on the radio, TV, national media, ex coaches, ex players............not a one has come forward and laid the blame for the Seahawk's offensive problems at the feet of Bevell?

These are all smarter people than us right? Very knowledgeable about the game, yet I've yet to read, hear or see "Fire Bevell." They all say the same thing we say, serious injuries, horrible O-line, bad RB situation, etc.

How often is any OC blamed in media, or coach for that matter? Hell, they won't even call out players much in the media so I'm not sure what point you were trying to make here.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3457fwg4 said:
Hey, last I looked, we didn't lose in Arizona. In fact, our team was in a position to win in the final seconds, which is where good coaching staffs put their teams. It's up to the players to execute these enhanced chances and we didn't do that at the end Sunday night.

That being said, we do own the third best record in the NFC at the moment and we're only a half a game behind Minnesota and Dallas. This is a good spot to be in.

I see a lot of overreactionaries on here, this thread being devoted to our offensive coordinator. But we have suffered just 1 loss in 6 games and we have won at the rate of 68% over the last 3 years and we have been to 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls, winning one. I'm thinking it's a very good time to be a Seahawk fan.

This coaching staff knows how to get things done and they're in the position they are in because they're talented at what they do. The NFL season is a big-picture thing and I fully expect the Seahawks to again be perched among the league's best at the end of the year when the dust settles.

And yet you completely ignore the fact the only reason this was a close game was because the defense balled out. What offensively did they do on their own to put the team in a chance to win? Pretty sure the only 3 points we got before OT was because special teams blocked a punt and crossed midfield for the first time. You love to point out how good the record is and Bevell plays a major role in this, but NEVER consider it's large in part due to just how dominate the defense is.

There are some seriously talent players on offense. We were lucky to witness some incredible runs by Marshawn the past few years that 90% of NFL running backs would get stuffed for losses on. We were lucky to witness Russell Wilson's heroics of extending plays for 6-10 seconds when absolutely nothing was open on the called play. So many huge first downs by him taking off cause the play call didn't work. How in the world does Bevell get credit for that? This team has been bad this year offensively and a lot of the shortcomings were things I've seen written by many smart football minds about the offensive philosophy and general lack of game flow progression. Now with a limited Russell and no Marshawn, we can't rely on huge plays from backyard football.

And I'm sure you'll follow up with well Bevell can't control injuries, bad line play, etc. Of course not, the tackles were garbage, but he can try to manage these issues and I have yet to see that happen until late 3rd quarter or in Arizona OT. We spend almost the entire first half beating our head against the wall with a gameplan that doesn't work on teams who KNOW how to scheme against our offense. Second half adjustments are big but shouldn't be a silver lining. You can't just give good teams an entire half of free play and hope the defense keeps the game close (which they have done 95% of the time the past few season).

*Edit and no, I don't think firing Bevell right now would be good. The Ravens going to the SB after doing it is an outlier. Unless Tom Cable is able to step in (no idea), there isn't anyone worth bringing in at this point in the season. But I do think it's something that should be evaluated at the end of the season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1zb0vq0y said:
Sgt. Largent":1zb0vq0y said:

How often is any OC blamed in media, or coach for that matter? Hell, they won't even call out players much in the media so I'm not sure what point you were trying to make here.

Huh? There's literally 1,000 media outlets now with everyone calling out everybody. Hell the highest rated sports shows are with Stephen A and Bayless calling out 20 people a show.

My point is not a one smart person in football has agreed that this is on Bevell, local or national. If you're right, why is that?

I'll answer my own question, because they're logical and knowledgeable football minds that know what I've been yelling into the wind for years on this forum, that when an offense is bad, it's the sum of it's parts and playcalling is a very small part of that.........especially this conversation with all of our injuries and other issues on offense.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3m1d6pla said:
Huh? There's literally 1,000 media outlets now with everyone calling out everybody. Hell the highest rated sports shows are with Stephen A and Bayless calling out 20 people a show.

Oh, I thought you were talking about reputable media outlets. Silly me. :twisted:

HawkGA

Reaction score
RichNhansom":d34g9x6n said:
OkieHawk":d34g9x6n said:
Who says that it would have gone to Christine? We have Jimmy Graham, or have we forgotten that?

I know that Bevell seems to in regards to the end zone. :twisted:

Could you imagine the torches and putchforks if Wilson threw an Int trying to score?

Only option IMO was a run and we don't have Lynch or Rawls and I just don't think they trust C-Mike.

Honestly the way that run went it seemed like it was more about positioning the ball. I didn't take note of where the ball was originally lined up but it seemed like C-Mike went right between the hashmarks. That said, if you're just doing field position then you just have the QB take a knee.

As to throwing an INT, when have we ever seen a QB thrown an int at the goal line with a chance to win the game????

OkieHawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":34316olo said:
As to throwing an INT, when have we ever seen a QB thrown an int at the goal line with a chance to win the game????

This made me chuckle, thanks.

StoneCold

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3mezk8q0 said:
Trrrroy":3mezk8q0 said:
Blaming Bevell is a lazy overreaction. Sometimes your team gets outplayed. It's what happened here. He's not telling his O-line to hold, and Russ being under instant pressure isn't in his playbook.
It can certainly be a lazy overreaction, but a SMART offensive coordinator adjusts his plan to account for injuries, or if his O-line's getting smoked six ways from Sunday. Ours almost never does, and half the time he does, it's too little, too late.

Seriously; telling your players to do something you're watching them be incapable of doing is not the fault of the players. If I tell you to go run a three-minute mile and you can't do it, that doesn't make it your fault. That makes it my fault for sticking with unrealistic expectations that don't take reality into account.

I'm curious, if you go through the play by play list I posted earlier, which plays are you saying the players are not capable of executing? I see a lot of short passes and runs up the middle.

HawkGA

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3a6vto9x said:
RichNhansom":3a6vto9x said:
OkieHawk":3a6vto9x said:
Siouxhawk":3a6vto9x said:
At the end of the game we had a chance to win. The coaches aren't on the field, so that's all we can ask of them. We missed the kick, but a tie on the road against a division rival is a pretty decent consolation prize.[

Pete knows (or at least should) that Hauschka's FG percentage in that stadium is shit. Knowing that, he should have tried at least one more play to get it in the end zone before kicking.

Probably would have with a better option than C-Mike.

Who says that it would have gone to Christine? We have Jimmy Graham, or have we forgotten that?

I know that Bevell seems to in regards to the end zone. :twisted:

It's not just about having Graham, it's about why the Hawks have Graham. Isn't that specifically why they have him? For red zone, jump ball type of situations?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2hykvx9d said:
Sgt. Largent":2hykvx9d said:

Oh, I thought you were talking about reputable media outlets. Silly me. :twisted:

So name a non-reputable media member who agrees with you? Anyone? Seriously, just one person. One warm body.........hell even a dead one.

Cause this silly narrative needs to stop, it's like Groundhog Day after every loss.

Hawks Win: "OMG WE'RE AMAZING GOING ALL THE WAY!"
Hawks Lose: *12 Fire Bevell Threads*

Over...............and over.........................and over..........................and over.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3w3v274v said:
OkieHawk":3w3v274v said:
Sgt. Largent":3w3v274v said:

So name a non-reputable media member who agrees with you? Anyone? Seriously, just one person. One warm body.........hell even a dead one.

Cause this silly narrative needs to stop, it's like Groundhog Day after every loss.

Hawks Win: "OMG WE'RE AMAZING GOING ALL THE WAY!"
Hawks Lose: *12 Fire Bevell Threads*

Over...............and over.........................and over..........................and over.

Dude, at this point I'm merely messing with you. I'm bored at home while windows are getting installed. Also, very few are actually saying to fire Bevell, most are wanting him to adapt a game plan quicker.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
OkieHawk":15dxyoxy said:
RichNhansom":15dxyoxy said:
Could you imagine the torches and putchforks if Wilson threw an Int trying to score?

Only option IMO was a run and we don't have Lynch or Rawls and I just don't think they trust C-Mike.

Can't you already see the torches and pitchforks out? ;)

Yeah but they haven't stormed the castle yet. YET.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
cymatica":3iersm04 said:
At the end of the game we had a chance to win. The coaches aren't on the field, so that's all we can ask of them. We missed the kick, but a tie on the road against a division rival is a pretty decent consolation prize.

I am not talking about the end of the game, whete we finally put one drive together, and only one drive. The only reason we had a chance to win was a phenomenal goaline stabd and a little luck(yes them missing a fg at the 1 involves some luck).

What about not being able to put a single drive together for 4 quarters?

Sioux, don't mean to go after you, but you keep answering these specific examples being brought up with generalized talking points. Yes the players didnt execute, now why was that?
It's not that difficult to comprehend. There's 3 dimensions to a football game and Sunday we relied primarily on defense and special teams and the offense came on in overtime to help us finish off a win. We just needed to make a 27-yarded or whatever it was and missed it and the result is a tie. All I'm saying is that the job of a coaching staff is to put their team in the position to win. Our staff did that, but poor execution nullified that. But the tie isn't such a bad consolation prize for us.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I think some are missing or maybe ignoring the penalties in this game. Virtually every time we had success of any kind it was met with a major penalty. Some where the next series after a first down and some just killed a good play but there is no ignoring that the type and timing of penalties were the biggest factor of why our offense never got anything going.

Not saying it was intentional by the refs, though you could make a good argument but through the entire regular period of play right down to the last offensive series were after a first down and looking like we could potentially get into field goal range, we found ourselves penalized 20 yards backwards looking at a 1st and 30 with no shot at getting back into field goal range.

Once regulation ended and the officials held they're flags we moved the ball at will.

Seems like some want to blame Bevell for the penalties along with the drops and bad passes.

Personally if they just stopped the microscope ticky tacky calls I think we win this game pretty easily and look good doing it.

Not saying Bevell is great but I just don't understand how you can ignore everything else and blame him for everything that took place in that game. Unless you have an agenda.

mrt144

Reaction score
Souixhawk would forgive Bevell (inserting less violent metaphor) spoiling the ending of Empire Strikes Back

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":mp4773lx said:
I think some are missing or maybe ignoring the penalties in this game. Virtually every time we had success of any kind it was met with a major penalty. Some where the next series after a first down and some just killed a good play but there is no ignoring that the type and timing of penalties were the biggest factor of why our offense never got anything going.

Not saying it was intentional by the refs, though you could make a good argument but through the entire regular period of play right down to the last offensive series were after a first down and looking like we could potentially get into field goal range, we found ourselves penalized 20 yards backwards looking at a 1st and 30 with no shot at getting back into field goal range.

Once regulation ended and the officials held they're flags we moved the ball at will.

Seems like some want to blame Bevell for the penalties along with the drops and bad passes.

Personally if they just stopped the microscope ticky tacky calls I think we win this game pretty easily and look good doing it.

Not saying Bevell is great but I just don't understand how you can ignore everything else and blame him for everything that took place in that game. Unless you have an agenda.

Who has blamed him for the penalties? If they have I must have missed it. Most are simply tired of the bland play calling and lack of (perceived) adaptation to the game plan. If a team doesn't adapt, then they will usually lose.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
So apparently it's either 100% hate and blame or you are a Bevell lover then?

It amazes me how the hate crowd can't see anything but one possible answer. No reasoning of any kind.

I've seen many here that aren't obviously in love with Bevell but are willing to at least consider there might be more than one possible problem.

I wonder if Viking fans are ready to hang their OC.

StoneCold

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2tju5wiz said:
RichNhansom":2tju5wiz said:

Who has blamed him for the penalties? If they have I must have missed it. Most are simply tired of the bland play calling and lack of (perceived) adaptation to the game plan. If a team doesn't adapt, then they will usually lose.

What I'd like is for someone to go through the play by play list and give some examples of where the adjustments should have been. And please be specific, otherwise we just go in circles and never talk football.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
OkieHawk":u2x86g2u said:
RichNhansom":u2x86g2u said:

This whole thread is using this last game as evidence of his inibility to perform.

There are more factors at play than just play calling.

Latest posts