Field Gulls assigns blame for each sack of Russell

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seanhawk":38tubd53 said:
hawkfan68":38tubd53 said:
MontanaHawk05":38tubd53 said:
hawkfan68":38tubd53 said:
Basically the left side of the Seahawk OL didn't earn their keep.

The left side?

The LEFT side???!!!?!!?!!?!

Ifedi was the league's most penalized player, Pocic gave up two insta-sacks on potential game-winning drives, and yet we're talking about the LEFT side.

Good grief. I do not get the irrational hatred for anything and everything "free agent".

Do you think Joeckel and Rees O played superbly this season? Joeckel wasn’t worth 8 peanuts yet he got $8; in hindsight that money could have gone to better use.
Furthermore, the topic of thread is sacks and not penalties. According to the numbers in the OP, Joeckel gave up the most sacks.

I don't know, $8 seems like a bargain for high school tackle, let alone one that was a former top 5 pick. That's not even going to cover one meal at McDonald's.

LOL....Thanks. It's fixed now to $8M

Atradees

Reaction score
I was surprised Wilson was sacked only 23 times. In that horrible offense it seemed like 60 times. I don't what cable was teaching but these lineman appeared clueless. Wilson was also holding the ball too long. Becoming skittish and shellshocked.

sutz

Reaction score
Atradees":3g0947vb said:
I was surprised Wilson was sacked only 23 times. In that horrible offense it seemed like 60 times. I don't what cable was teaching but these lineman appeared clueless. Wilson was also holding the ball too long. Becoming skittish and shellshocked.
Wilson was sacked 47 times. The article lists 23 of them as "Wilson/Ccoverage." The ones being discussed were just the ones fairly obviously because of an error by the O-linemen.

lukerguy

Reaction score
If Joeckel gave up 5 sacks, and FO paid Joeckel 8MM for 1 year... Who's fault really is it?

lukerguy

Reaction score
sutz":16garlg6 said:
Atradees":16garlg6 said:
Wilson was sacked 47 times. The article lists 23 of them as "Wilson/Ccoverage." The ones being discussed were just the ones fairly obviously because of an error by the O-linemen.

So the final count should actually be: Russell Wilson 24, Luke Joeckel 5, Rees Odhiambo 3, Ethan Pocic 3, Justin Britt 2, Duane Brown 2, Mark Glowinski 2, Germain Ifedi 2, Oday Aboushi 1, J.D. McKissic 1, Thomas Rawls 1, Matt Tobin 1?

Mojambo

Reaction score
lukerguy":3dgvdpic said:
sutz":3dgvdpic said:
Atradees":3dgvdpic said:

So the final count should actually be: Russell Wilson 24, Luke Joeckel 5, Rees Odhiambo 3, Ethan Pocic 3, Justin Britt 2, Duane Brown 2, Mark Glowinski 2, Germain Ifedi 2, Oday Aboushi 1, J.D. McKissic 1, Thomas Rawls 1, Matt Tobin 1?

No, it should be: Non-protection related sacks 23, Luke Joeckel 5, Rees Odhiambo 3, Ethan Pocic 3, Justin Britt 2, Duane Brown 2, Mark Glowinski 2, Germain Ifedi 2, Oday Aboushi 1, J.D. McKissic 1, Thomas Rawls 1, Matt Tobin 1?

The 23 that are not directly related to protection can not be placed ALL on Russell Wilson. Could be scheme, coverage, miscommunication, game situation. Those 23 have not been broken down to the point where you can assign them solely to Wilson.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":136r7i9c said:
Someone saying all the Sacks are somehow his fault in 3....2....1..... :lol:

With how putrid the Offensive line played for the first ELEVEN games, and how badly Graham whiffed on blocking, & going after the passes coming his way, I'm surprised that Wilson didn't just throw the damned ball up for grabs out of self preservation, get up off the ground, (because you know that they are going to hit him within three seconds, whether or not he still has the ball,) walk over to the sidelines and scream at Cable to do a better job GETTING HIS O-LINEMEN COACHED UP 2015 level.
Either Block for a Run Game, or Give me SOME semblance of PROTECTION, better yet, COACH them on how to do BOTH.

I'll say it again...Second half of 2015 was an eye opener on just how historically good a Quarterback that Wilson CAN BE with an even MEDIOCRE Offensive Line, eh?

Atradees

Reaction score
Wilson is amazing and could down as one of the best ever. 47 was the number. 23 would be good I guess. I like the power run game myself. I think any guy can be a good rb with blocking. Hopefully these scrubs on the line can be blended w vets.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, my wife suggested that he throw it to himself since it looks like he's the only one who cares on offense at times :lol:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":228js5zk said:
Yep, my wife suggested that he throw it to himself since it looks like he's the only one who cares on offense at times :lol:
I'll call BS to that - I've never seen Baldwin take a play off or give up on a play. I've seen him fight to get open when he was just a decoy setting the pick resulting in a famed Wilson-scrambles-and-hits-Baldwin play.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Dude, it's just my wife being angry because the offense sucks so bad. She's aware how good Baldwin is. It's more just frustrating at the crap show that was the offense this year. It was funny at the time, and it's still funny. The O was so bad at times, all you could do is laugh to keep yourself from going crazy :2thumbs:

Atradees

Reaction score
My Old lady likes yelling at the tv. The blame has to go to the overall plan. Personel, coaching the gm for letting it go for so long. Some these parts would be better with vets...

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
How many sacks were created by Ifedi creating 3rd and infiniti after his penalties?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawkfan68":39dvh2pi said:
Furthermore, the topic of thread is sacks and not penalties.

Your post left that foundation of specificity by addressing generic quality.

And I wasn't a fan of Joeckel, either. It's just weird that people single out the left side, and I'm betting it's because it didn't involve any draft picks that people have an emotional connection to.

adeltaY

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2rnw9e94 said:
hawkfan68":2rnw9e94 said:

And I wasn't a fan of Joeckel, either. It's just weird that people single out the left side, and I'm betting it's because it didn't involve any draft picks that people have an emotional connection to.

From what I can tell, the overwhelmingly popular emotion fans feel for Ifedi is sheer outrage.

AgentDib

Reaction score
No surprises here and I agree it would be more interesting to see a breakdown of pressures. Russ was responsible for a number of those "non-OL" sacks but remember that was partly intended early in games when he was coached to avoid throwing contested passes. If we're trying to maximize winning probability instead of points then with a good enough defense it makes sense to be overly conservative on offense.

I also agree that pressures should be heavily weighted situationally. Taking a sack on 3rd and 10+ is not remotely the same as a four man rush blowing up a play when it's 2nd and 3. I'd bet that a large number of pressures this year were indirectly set up by either penalties that put the offense in a predictable place, or the lack of a running game that put the offense in a predictable place.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
adeltaY":n92uqd10 said:
MontanaHawk05":n92uqd10 said:
hawkfan68":n92uqd10 said:

From what I can tell, the overwhelmingly popular emotion fans feel for Ifedi is sheer outrage.

Ifedi is getting quite a bit of second chance murmurs. "Well ya know, Solari, and there's the whole Germain-admitting-he-gets-triggered thing, let's give him another shot" and such. No such goodwill towards Joeckel.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Joker was overpaid by every $ paid above vet minimum. He’s a draft bust big time.The team would have been better to have played Odi @ LG all year and saved the cap wasted on him. I even think Roos would have been a better long term choice.

So glad to be rid of Cable so real change can happen uninterrupted by his BS.

Time will now tell if the team has some capable bodies here already and there is the nucleus of a real OLine here already. I’d lketo see a quality G added in the draft.

Brown, Fant, Odhiambo, Britt, Pocic Roos, and Ifedi are a reasonable base to build upon.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2udsok4w said:
hawkfan68":2udsok4w said:

There is no emotional connection to Ifedi from me. I have been critical of him since last season. His play does leave a lot to be desired. But he's a player in his second year. Joeckel is a veteran player (6th year) making the same mistakes as a rookie or 2nd year player. At $8M , you expect more from Joeckel than you do from Ifedi, who is still on his rookie deal. They could have retained Bradley Sowell rather than Joeckel and still get the same amount of production they received. If Joeckel hadn't been terrible, they may have not had to be desperate in trading for Brown. Not that Brown is a bad player (he's a good LT) but he's costly.