Predict the starting O-line

nwHawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":1yz6qi68 said:
It strikes me as odd that the first round pick last year and the second round pick this year are competing at the same spot.

My guess/hope is that Ifedi wins hands down and that Pocic is mainly out there to gain experience so there is another potential backup tackle. Very thin at RT otherwise. If Ifedi gets hurt or is a bust, there is a glaring hole there. Maybe Rees moves back but that looks like about it for options.

Ifedi will start at RT, Pocic will back up RT and C... Hunt will be replaced with a more versatile interior player. Hunt is JAG at this point.

sdog1981

Reaction score
chris98251":2ne4do5d said:
Fortunate that Fant appears to actual work at building up his body.

One of the last radio interviews Fant gave at the end of the season he talked about getting bigger and stronger so he could hold up aginst the bull rushes. Looks like he added the weight.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Does anyone know where Joeckel is at injury wise? I know it was pretty major, and that makes me think maybe he isn't ready week 1. At the same time, thats a lot of money to pay for someone who's week one availability is in question.

I don't think Pocic will start, but as Tom Cable mentioned he does have the frame for a tackle. I would say they probably plan on him transferring to tackle permanently, and keep Joey Hunt as the backup C.

I would say week 1 starters:
LT Fant
LG Joeckel
C Britt
RG Aboushi
RT Ifedi

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2v59d5w0 said:
brimsalabim":2v59d5w0 said:
I read a piece recently that said the Hawks have drafted more offensive offensive linemen than any other team in the NFL since 2010 and have nearly a 100% failure rate with those selections. How can an owner as intelligent as ours allow this to continue year after year without forcing adjustments? Our process could not be more flawed. We are long passed the time to jettison Cable and the metrics and processes he and the staff use to determine our selections.

What constitutes success? Having linemen stay in the league? Hanging on to our own? (5 starters at a time) Or having probowlers consistently?

I'm curious, since this seems like hyperbole. A number of our linemen have been good enough to get picked up by other teams and paid well, but we won't equal or top the price to keep them. That's a success--well, at least not a failure--in my book for finding decent talent on the line.

Now I'm not even suggesting we've created a good overall line or even decent consistency. We haven't and it is understandably frustrating. But the line is just the area where the team will pay less and be satisfied with lower quality since cap-concerns govern all.

Sorry I just saw this or I would have responded earlier. What constitutes success with respect to our OL?

not this:
clay-matthews-russell-wilson-julius-peppers_pg_600.jpg

or this:  sacked by tampa bay picture id626821084s612x612

or this: 8cd038ab4013dac90ba6f1a0e728e983

and we could go on and on but you see what I mean. If Cable plucks a young DT, starts him at guard, and three years later he gets a big contract from some one else ... THAT IS A FAILURE. Our QB has taken a beating while guys learn on the job. By the time these projects begin to show promise they are off to protect another teams QB and our's is stuck with another project between him and carrier ending injury again.

Jville

Reaction score
Russell Wilson likes football ..... a contact sport.

If Russell didn't like contact sports, he would have taken up something else .... like tennis.

The only failure lies in the comprehension of the meaning of contact sport. :p

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Even with a great OL, RW isn't jesusing you another superbowl ring throwing the ball 60% of the time. Russell Wilson is not the Seahawks and the Seahawks are not Russell Wilson. Get back to running the football 50% of the time, keep defenses honest, and that will buy the QB extra time all by itself while also helping the defense inevitably.

toffee

Reaction score
bbsplitter":a51u5qsv said:
Does anyone know where Joeckel is at injury wise? I know it was pretty major, and that makes me think maybe he isn't ready week 1. At the same time, thats a lot of money to pay for someone who's week one availability is in question.

I don't think Pocic will start, but as Tom Cable mentioned he does have the frame for a tackle. I would say they probably plan on him transferring to tackle permanently, and keep Joey Hunt as the backup C.

I would say week 1 starters:
LT Fant
LG Joeckel
C Britt
RG Aboushi
RT Ifedi

With this lineup, we may achieve league average center and guards wise. Tackles remains problematic: Fant is "known" quality and we hope he improves some. If Fant's added bulk turned out to be helpful, he would be league average too, that's a big improvement.

Under this lineup, I am more worried about Ifedi, he was terrible as guard, not sure he will actually perform as tackle. A BIG if.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Jville":ckam8hnw said:
Russell Wilson likes football ..... a contact sport.

If Russell didn't like contact sports, he would have taken up something else .... like tennis.

The only failure lies in the comprehension of the meaning of contact sport. :p

He's too short to play tennis.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":27n0mdth said:
...and we could go on and on but you see what I mean. If Cable plucks a young DT, starts him at guard, and three years later he gets a big contract from some one else ... THAT IS A FAILURE. Our QB has taken a beating while guys learn on the job. By the time these projects begin to show promise they are off to protect another teams QB and our's is stuck with another project between him and carrier ending injury again.

But it doesn't show what success actually is. I can show a lot of pics of QBs getting sacked. I realize our sack rate was higher than many teams, but it still doesn't tell me what success is.

That's still my question.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Early TC prediction:

LT: Fant
LG: Joeckel
C: Britt
RG: Aboushi
RT: Pocic

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
vin.couve12":37cxvzoi said:
Even with a great OL, RW isn't jesusing you another superbowl ring throwing the ball 60% of the time. Russell Wilson is not the Seahawks and the Seahawks are not Russell Wilson. Get back to running the football 50% of the time, keep defenses honest

Wilson was 50% of that, too. :twisted: :stirthepot: :escape:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3p3ez1gx said:
Early TC prediction:

They've been giving Rees Odhiambo a lot of first-team looks in camp so far. They're definitely giving him a lot of opportunity to win a job.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Britt looks great @ camp this year. He's really developing into a very solid center.

HawkGA

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2g773llz said:
Attyla the Hawk":2g773llz said:
Early TC prediction:

They've been giving Rees Odhiambo a lot of first-team looks in camp so far. They're definitely giving him a lot of opportunity to win a job.

I think that has more to do with Joeckel being eased back in, but still, the opportunities are there.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
vin.couve12":6qfaeqnb said:
LT - Fant/Joeckel/Odhiambo/Senior
LG - Joeckel/Odhiambo/Glowinski/Posic
C - Britt/Hunt/Pocic
RG - Glowinski/Pocic/Ifedi/Aboushi/Roos
RT - Ifedi/Pocic/Myers/Aboushi

I wasn't considering Fant to start until I saw that he was up to 315. He really needed to add strength and he did it. Glow is now on the right side and it should help him in pass pro being back to his natural position. I'm not sure that Ifedi starts because even an undrafted basketball player had a better rookie year than he did, but he probably will. Aboushi may not make the team let alone start. With the hopefully sustained, renewed emphasis on the run game, I don't hold Aboushi in that high a regard. I like a guard to be able to move the LOS and Aboushi is more of a sticky blocker than a drive blocker.
Still standing by this. I think I saw Myers playing a bit on the left though.