Florio says Hawks have a better chance in the rain

James in PA

Reaction score
I just hope our equipment manager has his sh*t together. It just seems like every time we play a road game in crappy weather conditions, our guys are slip slidin around more than the other guys. I'm thinking of the Germany game. It looked like we were playing on ice.

cymatica

Reaction score
I just don't see how this favors Seattle. Any speed advantage will be be neutralized and the game will be won in the trenches.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I just hope our equipment manager has his sh*t together. It just seems like every time we play a road game in crappy weather conditions, our guys are slip slidin around more than the other guys. I'm thinking of the Germany game. It looked like we were playing on ice.

This.

IMO terrible weather like usually favors the more physical teams in the trenches, and that ain't us. On either side of the ball.

Might help keep the score lower, which could be an advantage if a couple big plays and breaks go our way.

So sure, maybe. Or maybe not.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Inclement weather can certainly make a game go off script so to speak....which in theory could help an underdog if turnovers, weird stuff happens

Its worth being hopeful about haha

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Or 2016 playoff game in Carolina vs the Panthers. It was like they were equipped with bowling shoes.

andyh64000

Reaction score
I like the thought of going against a rookie QB in his first playoff game in nasty weather because we need some breaks to go our way.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I can't see how this benefits Seattle but if it does I'll take it. On paper we should get killed. I think if we have first half of the year Geno and Walker can get going maybe we can force Purdy into some mistakes and make this game close.

Marvin49

Reaction score
He's right.

Bottom line...Weather is the great equalizer.

If you have a team that supremely talented vs a team that's a bottom feeder (and to be clear this is an example, not a description of Saturdays game), weather has a way of leveling the playing field.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
He's right.

Bottom line...Weather is the great equalizer.

If you have a team that supremely talented vs a team that's a bottom feeder (and to be clear this is an example, not a description of Saturdays game), weather has a way of leveling the playing field.
In my gambling days with last minute bets I would take underdogs knowing they had a fit chance and have good odds

knownone

Reaction score
Unless the weather is so bad that both teams struggle to do anything besides run, wind and rain benefit the Niners. They have the better running game and an offense with a massive emphasis on short passes and yards after the catch. In contrast, while we're not that far behind SF in the running game, we rely much more on intermediate passes to do our damage.

DJrmb

Reaction score
You guys realize that the equipment manager doesn't choose what cleats the players wear right? The players try out different shoes before the game and decide what they are comfortable wearing.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Rain can mess with shifty offenses, you generally can’t cut hard to break tackles or disguise or catch people off guard. We have a chance, but we have a better QB if Geno can write history, this is his defining moment.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Not just rain but thunderstorms are predicted. If it gets to lightening being a hazard then theres a likelihood they pull everyone to sit inside until that passes.

In any case I hope the Hawks are practicing with deep cleats.

bileever

Reaction score
Earlier this year, the 49er lost to the Bears in a torrential rain storm. Also, Brock Purdy has 9 1/4 inch hands, small for an NFL QB. Unfortunately, so does Geno.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Earlier this year, the 49er lost to the Bears in a torrential rain storm. Also, Brock Purdy has 9 1/4 inch hands, small for an NFL QB. Unfortunately, so does Geno.

All True.

Fair to say field conditions will likely be much better in SC than they were at Soldier Field, but point holds.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I don't agree with Florio. The rain wouldn't give the Seahawks a better chance. Actually the rain plays to the 49ers strength on offense. 49ers have better depth at running back than the Seahawks do. Plus they have Deebo Samuel who can be a rb at times (similar to how Patterson did for the Falcons). Now that Elijah Mitchell is back there's a two headed run attack monster in SF plus their 3rd string back had a decent game running the ball against the Seahawks a few weeks ago. Plus the Seahawk run defense is still a weakness. Cam Akers was able to rip off 104 yards last Sunday on 21 carries against the Seahawks. In my opinion, McCaffrey > Akers and Mitchell > Akers.

I'm not saying the Seahawks don't have a chance, they do but if they win it's not because of the rain. SF has enough weapons to counter any weather issues. With that said, I think it will be a great competitive game. Hopefully, like that battle in 2019 for the division title when it came down to the last few seconds.

Last edited: