For all the sky is falling guys

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
For all the "sky is falling guys," We aren't the only one to give up a game-winning score in the last minute of a game this week alone. 8-6 Baltimore just let division rival Pittsburgh march down the entire field and punch it in for the winning touchdown with nine seconds left. They gave up the division to Pittsburgh with the loss, got eliminated from the playoffs, and in a game where they had a three-point lead with a minute left.

Point is, this happens all the time in the NFL, especially among division rivals. We don't notice it watching other teams, or if we do, it doesn't stay in our minds for too long. It's magnified by our fandom for our team of choice, but breaking news here, it ain't just the Seahawks.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
RussB":yixtjzo0 said:
They can still win. But they are way too inconsistent, there is no consistency at all with this team. They were supposed to destroy this cards team and the fact that it was even competetive is a huge negative. The cards suck this year and great teams are supposed to destroy sucky teams. Thing is hawks keep taking L's against these kinds of teams thats not a good recipe at all.

They also gave up 34 points at home and choked the game away in the final minute on D. The thing that to me is the worst about them is that they arent getting hot while the playoffs near they are actually getting worse.

This is woefully misguided. The Patriots struggled with the Dolphins, and have in the past struggled with the Jets. Regardless of the records. That's what happens in divisional rivalry. You quite literally want the Seahawks to be the only team in the NFL that doesn't struggle against divisional opponents and that's absurd

bighawk

Reaction score
I love this team but the fact Cable can't get these guys to block is very sad. If they can master the zone then add some power schememixed in. This is ineptitude at its highest. Focus on the fundamentals and play for each other. Get the ball to Graham and remember what they are playing for.

Jville

Reaction score
Sometimes, when trail blazing and reaching for excellence, an outfit can over extend.

There is no reason to panic or go hysterical over those occasions. It's just part of the process.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
bighawk":1xcdb836 said:
I love this team but the fact Cable can't get these guys to block is very sad. If they can master the zone then add some power schememixed in. This is ineptitude at its highest. Focus on the fundamentals and play for each other. Get the ball to Graham and remember what they are playing for.

Cable can't get these guys to block. Who got these guys to block against New England? Carolina? The Rams last week? Who made the halftime adjustments last night and turned an atrocious performance into one of the better 2nd halves we've had all season?

Inconsistent is not the same as bad. At times it is good, at times it is bad...but it isn't bad all the time and it isn't the worst in the league...even with two rookies and a LT that's never played the sport before this season. I think it's remarkable that a line as young and inexperienced had the resiliency to turn around from a horrible first half to become a relatively dominant force in the second half. That's coaching dude. Really good coaching.

Arizona knew that Seattle was going to have to throw the ball the entire 2nd half. And our OLine allowed him to do just that. Who got the line to do that?

I'm with the OP 100%.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Wartooth":3dduvg9h said:
At the end of the day, win or lose, it's just football...
Did anyone's life change dramatically when they won the Super Bowl?
Mine didn't, still got up the next day and went to work, paid my bills.
Your fandom should not be who you are, it should not define you.
It's just football, a game, entertainment...
Letting it become more than that, is foolish.

Yeahhh, I can still be pissed when my team plays like garbage with out altering my life. Also, it is pretty cool being a fan of a team that wins a Super Bowl. According to your logic, in 2013, I should have just said, "huh, my team just won the biggest game in sports. Whatever its just a game, I paid my bills, football doesn't define me." Why even bother watching the sport?

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
While I agree with Wartooth, nothing about fandom is rational or applicable to logic.

chris98251

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":q2hhmg1l said:
bighawk":q2hhmg1l said:

Cable can't get these guys to block. Who got these guys to block against New England? Carolina? The Rams last week? Who made the halftime adjustments last night and turned an atrocious performance into one of the better 2nd halves we've had all season?

Inconsistent is not the same as bad. At times it is good, at times it is bad...but it isn't bad all the time and it isn't the worst in the league...even with two rookies and a LT that's never played the sport before this season. I think it's remarkable that a line as young and inexperienced had the resiliency to turn around from a horrible first half to become a relatively dominant force in the second half. That's coaching dude. Really good coaching.

Arizona knew that Seattle was going to have to throw the ball the entire 2nd half. And our OLine allowed him to do just that. Who got the line to do that?

I'm with the OP 100%.

It also depends on match ups, Rams and Cards have good D lines, Patriots have Brady and score making the defense less a issue, they hold the ball a lot or score points in bunches.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
sdog1981":251dadpo said:
CodeWarrior":251dadpo said:
sdog1981":251dadpo said:
The Cards will be the last elite front 7 they play until the Superbowl vs the Raiders. So I also feel this team can go far. Only the Rams and the Cards make this team look this bad.

If the Derek Carr-less Raiders make the super bowl you'll look a genius.

I totally forgot he got hurt too yesterday. Add the Matt Stafford injury to the list and this team might never see an elite pass rusher again this season.
Stafford is not hurt that bad. Carr on the other hand......

bighawk

Reaction score
That's what makes great coaches they get them to block any and all. You guys have excuses for everyone. This why they they get paid big money.

capncrunch

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2wgz41na said:
For all the "sky is falling guys," We aren't the only one to give up a game-winning score in the last minute of a game this week alone. 8-6 Baltimore just let division rival Pittsburgh march down the entire field and punch it in for the winning touchdown with nine seconds left. They gave up the division to Pittsburgh with the loss, got eliminated from the playoffs, and in a game where they had a three-point lead with a minute left.

Point is, this happens all the time in the NFL, especially among division rivals. We don't notice it watching other teams, or if we do, it doesn't stay in our minds for too long. It's magnified by our fandom for our team of choice, but breaking news here, it ain't just the Seahawks.

yeah. See Bills, Chargers, Ravens. the Lions came very close to losing to the Bears last week. A lot of unease in Giants land. locker room insanity in Denver. Rogue secondary in Minnie. Starting QBs droppin all over the place. It's craaazy out there! Watched the Ravens game at a party. The host is from Baltimore. He looked lie he was getting an enema as Bennie and the Jets ( Elton John reference. LIke it?) marched down to win. A few IPAs, slice o' german choc cake and an hour of Pictionary later and dude was alright.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
They are division champs with an O-line fashioned from soup bones, used bubble gum and bailing wire. That would have sunk most teams, so that's a pretty cool thing. Now, if this high-priced defense can come back to center after the Cardinals meltdown, they are right back in this thing.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
capncrunch":ytrg05vb said:
Seahawk Sailor":ytrg05vb said:

yeah. See Bills, Chargers, Ravens. the Lions came very close to losing to the Bears last week. A lot of unease in Giants land. locker room insanity in Denver. Rogue secondary in Minnie. Starting QBs droppin all over the place. It's craaazy out there! Watched the Ravens game at a party. The host is from Baltimore. He looked lie he was getting an enema as Bennie and the Jets ( Elton John reference. LIke it?) marched down to win. A few IPAs, slice o' german choc cake and an hour of Pictionary later and dude was alright.

+10

Mase

Reaction score
-- If you want to feel better about the game, rewatch it. My daughter and I were at the game on Saturday, so after everyone went to bed last night, I called up the DVR and watched the game again, paying special attention to the Oline.

-- Actually, an observation from the live game first, get off the "we don't use Graham right" mantra. If you could see the game live you would realize how ignorant it is. Yes, sometimes he stays in to help block, or at least starts with a chip, but believe me, the Cards were paying a lot of attention to 88. There bracketing of Graham is why our WRs were getting so many one on ones, and why Baldwin absolutely owned Peterson in the second half.

-- But to the replay. George Fant played very well..... except against Chandler Jones. Unfortunately, he faced Jones probably 80% of the game. Make no mistake, Jones played him like a fiddle. He unleashed all the classics, speed rush, inside spin, hand slap, lung and dig. Truth be told, you have to expect that to an extent, right? He isn't Walter. However, he is athletic, and usually doesn't make the same mistake twice. I was actually very optimistic about him even after this game. He needs to see more, before he can be more.

-- Glowinski simply could not handle Calais Campbell alone. It was a physical mismatch. Campbell has always given us fits, and they now add that #98 kid. Another very powerful inside rusher. The more rhythm passing in the second half helped him settle down a lot.

-- Britt was okay. Got good blocks at the second level several times, but the guards had gotten beat so the play ended behind him.

-- Ifedi struggled with twists and stunts, and seemed to lunge too often, again, especially in the first half. He also seemed to settle down, and play much better second half. Like Fant, he has the physical skill, he just needs reps. Reminds me Mawae when we drafted him and played him at guard beside Donaldson. Raw, but you can see the ability. I also remember this board having posts like "this is why you don't waste a first round pick on a guard". They were talking about Hutchinson.

-- Gilliam seemed to play pretty well overall, but did struggle with combination blocks. On those, its hard to tell if he, Ifedi or the TE are the ones missing their assignment. His one holding call was probably a very good idea, Russell had rolled right and was an easy hit for their #44.

-- Let me just finish be saying, that as we drove home listening to the post game, there were some remarks by Baldwin that I didn't understand at that time, but I do now. He talked about guys trying too hard, and not having faith in the their own ability. When you watch the Oline in the first half, that is what you see. Over committing, lunging, etc. They tried to win every fight in the first 2 seconds. In the second half, they "engaged", and trusted themselves to do their job. We did start getting the ball out a lot faster which obviously helps, but these guys on the Oline, definitely settled down and performed much better. Youth has its limitations.

-- Oh, and P.S. I'm still IN.

Mase

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Mase":3433mrlt said:
-- If you want to feel better about the game, rewatch it. My daughter and I were at the game on Saturday, so after everyone went to bed last night, I called up the DVR and watched the game again, paying special attention to the Oline.

-- Actually, an observation from the live game first, get off the "we don't use Graham right" mantra. If you could see the game live you would realize how ignorant it is. Yes, sometimes he stays in to help block, or at least starts with a chip, but believe me, the Cards were paying a lot of attention to 88. There bracketing of Graham is why our WRs were getting so many one on ones, and why Baldwin absolutely owned Peterson in the second half.

-- But to the replay. George Fant played very well..... except against Chandler Jones. Unfortunately, he faced Jones probably 80% of the game. Make no mistake, Jones played him like a fiddle. He unleashed all the classics, speed rush, inside spin, hand slap, lung and dig. Truth be told, you have to expect that to an extent, right? He isn't Walter. However, he is athletic, and usually doesn't make the same mistake twice. I was actually very optimistic about him even after this game. He needs to see more, before he can be more.

-- Glowinski simply could not handle Calais Campbell alone. It was a physical mismatch. Campbell has always given us fits, and they now add that #98 kid. Another very powerful inside rusher. The more rhythm passing in the second half helped him settle down a lot.

-- Britt was okay. Got good blocks at the second level several times, but the guards had gotten beat so the play ended behind him.

-- Ifedi struggled with twists and stunts, and seemed to lunge too often, again, especially in the first half. He also seemed to settle down, and play much better second half. Like Fant, he has the physical skill, he just needs reps. Reminds me Mawae when we drafted him and played him at guard beside Donaldson. Raw, but you can see the ability. I also remember this board having posts like "this is why you don't waste a first round pick on a guard". They were talking about Hutchinson.

-- Gilliam seemed to play pretty well overall, but did struggle with combination blocks. On those, its hard to tell if he, Ifedi or the TE are the ones missing their assignment. His one holding call was probably a very good idea, Russell had rolled right and was an easy hit for their #44.

-- Let me just finish be saying, that as we drove home listening to the post game, there were some remarks by Baldwin that I didn't understand at that time, but I do now. He talked about guys trying too hard, and not having faith in the their own ability. When you watch the Oline in the first half, that is what you see. Over committing, lunging, etc. They tried to win every fight in the first 2 seconds. In the second half, they "engaged", and trusted themselves to do their job. We did start getting the ball out a lot faster which obviously helps, but these guys on the Oline, definitely settled down and performed much better. Youth has its limitations.

Mase
Good post Mase, good to have this kind of fore & aft perspective.
It's kind of nice to have the brash and angst taken out of the equation, thanks.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
+1 Thanks Mase, considerated post there, worth a read.

Wrt your second paragraph, PC made the exact same point - almost verbatim this morning.

Jville

Reaction score
Excellent post and points Mase :2thumbs: Thanks for taking the time to spell out your thoughts and posting them.

Here is the MP3 audio link to the Pete Carroll Show referenced directly above >>> [urltargetblank]http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/b/c/9/bc9f1363de1f574e/12-26_Carroll_Show_podcast.mp3?c_id=13696470&destination_id=424121&expiration=1482787401&hwt=3d5e45823675328e27b2703ddee94e65[/urltargetblank]

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
chris98251":2wjeevbu said:
LoneHawkFan":2wjeevbu said:
bighawk":2wjeevbu said:

I'm with the OP 100%.

It also depends on match ups, Rams and Cards have good D lines, Patriots have Brady and score making the defense less a issue, they hold the ball a lot or score points in bunches.

Absolutely. Which actually supports the points I'm making...youth and inexperience are killing us- not necessarily poor coaching and sh*t talent. Fant and Ifedi both have what it takes to be very solid OLinemen- as early as this time next season.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Mase":23erpjsi said:

Mase

I was at the game and saw the same thing with a Graham. Agree completely with virtually all of this post. Well said.