Frank Clark to KC for a 1st and a 2nd!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3a2oxbud said:
Why do we have people writing off a 2018 playoff team from Super Bowl consideration?

Seattle wasn't THAT far below the top echelon last year...and losing Frank Clark (especially when we dont know what he is being replaced with) doesnt = TOTAL REBUILD!!!! Hes not Aaron Donald for goodness sake..

Cmon guys. Lets not overreact so much. Hawks will likely contend for a playoff spot again this year regardless, and then...as we know....anything can happen.

No one said total rebuild, but I do think we're in the middle of a SB rebuild, as are most teams that aren't named the Patriots or now the Chiefs, or one of the other 1-2 handful of serious contenders...........on paper, on April 23rd.

Lots of things can change for sure, but as we stand today we still have holes and depth issues all over the place. So if you think we're a SB contender then you are more optimistic than me. But again, lots of things can happen from now until January to make me change my mind.

I'm excited for the draft now, that's for sure. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy seeing what Pete and John do with two first rounders.

Steve2222

Reaction score
lol just checked a Chiefs message board. Literally everyone is irate over this trade.

Feels good to be on the winning side of a trade for once.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1eh0gxqy said:
So if you think we're a SB contender then you are more optimistic than me. But again, lots of things can happen from now until January to make me change my mind.

I'm excited for the draft now, that's for sure. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy seeing what Pete and John do with two first rounders.

I was definitely more optimistic. This team doesn't have as many holes as people think. WR is one, but otherwise the offense is pretty much set, deep in fact. Secondary is a concern, but has a potential solution in Delano Hill, and I can't quite write Shaquill Griffin off yet. Besides that, the biggest area of need was defensive end.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Hotchy":1rx6twm5 said:
I dont like getting rid of a stud DE, but when i see what KC gave him, i understand.
So, why should we not trade Wagner away? The Hawks are not going to contend very soon with this current roster, so why not go all in on a retool? What's the point on wasting a ton on Wagner when his game will be on the decline by the time the roster is ready ?
Trade Wags for more picks and start the build now

Because they will have a legit shot next year for sure and an outside chance this season if things really fall into place? :roll:

Jeesh....why get up in the morning when you are just going back to sleep tonight?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":hsopk397 said:
Sgt. Largent":hsopk397 said:
So if you think we're a SB contender then you are more optimistic than me. But again, lots of things can happen from now until January to make me change my mind.

I was definitely more optimistic. This team doesn't have as many holes as people think. WR is one, but otherwise the offense is pretty much set, deep in fact. Secondary is a concern, but has a potential solution in Delano Hill, and I can't quite write Shaquill Griffin off yet. Besides that, the biggest area of need was defensive end.

Defensive line (obviously)
WR
Safety
DB
O-line, TE and LB depth

I'd say that's a pretty big list of needs........obviously some can be addressed immediately this weekend. But those are still players that will need developing, even if we get some young studs. It takes time to develop young players, just as it did Frank.

That's all I'm saying, I do think in another year or two we'll be in the serious SB contender short list. But no, not in 2019.

Steve2222

Reaction score
The team in 2018 didn’t even play to its full capability with Wilson being handicapped by his own teams playcalling.

mikeak

Reaction score
I love it

Turn a 63rd pick into a four year solid / great player

Flip it back for a 29th and a next year 2nd round pick

I mean try go leasing a car for four years and then get two cars for it in four years...…… This is a great deal

nwHawk

Reaction score
Overall, I love it. Now let's put that additional 1st to good use.

Still wouldn't shock me to see us trade down with both picks, out of the 1st rd. JS wants to add picks/players, and I hope they don't get to cute and miss out on a quality player.

Steve2222

Reaction score
mikeak":368udgtc said:
I love it

Turn a 63rd pick into a four year solid / great player

Flip it back for a 29th and a next year 2nd round pick

I mean try go leasing a car for four years and then get two cars for it in four years...…… This is a great deal

Good way to look at it. Frank Clark did a lot of good for this organization. Great pick by the Seahawks.

The Patriot way.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Clark will shine in KC. Mahomes is on a rookie contract, so they can over pay

Will miss the guy, he really did care about the team. Business is business I suppose, glad he got his money and ended up on another contender

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I am going to miss the guy.

We might not be able to do much in the 1st round. But we seem to get these 2nd and 3rd round players that turn solid.

He was our best DL. I think he was at least a fifth of all our QB pressures. Maybe more.

We will probably miss that.

It was a good get. We basically got 2 2nds rd out of it (while technically a 1st round pick ...so close to the 2nd it might as well be one.). We wouldn't have been able to pay him and Bobby at the same time so it was the only real option.

But our defense is certainly going to be much less dangerous now. Our pass rush is going to be interesting.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Greenhell":evacm5ha said:
Whew! Almost bought my Frank Clark jersey for this season.
:laugh:
And I am glad I didn’t have to burn my Wilson jersey. ;)

mikeak

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1li45f00 said:
Clark will shine in KC. Mahomes is on a rookie contract, so they can over pay

Will miss the guy, he really did care about the team. Business is business I suppose, glad he got his money and ended up on another contender

I agree with this sentiment

Other teams being able to overpay or in my mind rather pay more doesn't mean Seattle could or should have paid more nor does it make Frank Clark "bad" for taking more money

He made the right decision but so did the Seahawks -- best of luck to all of them except for when KC plays Seattle in the Superbowl

jammerhawk

Reaction score
In the end the team and Clark were too far apart for a deal to come together allowing them to keep him. To me I think the team somewhat underestimated the pass rusher market and were surprised by the size of some of the contracts. Clark's agent told him he could get big money and he did.

Clark's pique at being traded and the quoted "At least I'm going to a team that wanted me" didn't help. Though somehow I can't see where he truly has much to legitimately complain about, the team franchised him and recognized to them he was a top five player at his position. Clark's contract demands likely far exceeded what the team would offer. His new contract pays him significantly more than what it is likely the team would have been willing to pay.

Congrats to him for his new deal, the team got fair market value for him and more than many predicted in a draft where players similar to him were aplenty. Thanks for your time here Frank, good luck and Godspeed!

Hotchy

Reaction score
Seymour, you are missing my point...
Wagner will be 29 this summer. Why would you want to pay a huge cap portion to a single player, not named Wilson ? Wagner got his 2nd contract. You need to take your heart out of it, and sell high. No player, other than a QB should get a 3rd contract. There's more Wagners and Clarks in college right now. You just gotta find them.
Wags will be looking to break the bank next year, and no way they get their return

niveky

Reaction score
Also, if they don't like what is there they could either use that pick or in conjunction with another to end up getting between 2-5 picks.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Sounds like talks got a lot tougher when the Cowboys gave Lawrence the big contract. I'm good with blaming the Cowboys for this.

Chapow

Reaction score
I totally understand why the Seahawks made this trade given the entirety of the situation surrounding Clark and the contract situations of Russ, Bobby, and Reed, and I think it's entirely likely that this was their best option, but I don't think this is quite the fleecing that some of you guys seem too.

First, I'm seeing a lot of "OMG we got a 1st and a 2nd!", which is technically true, but not all picks are created equal. A top ten pick in the first round is enormously different than a bottom 5 pick in the first round. We got the latter.

Second, I've heard for the last 20 years that a pick in next years draft is valued a round below this years draft. So while we technically received a 2nd round pick, the value of that pick is a 3rd rounder, and given the fact that KC is very good and likely a Super Bowl contender, that 3rd rounder is likely to be a very late 3rd rounder.

Third, while it's a small thing, I'm not super happy that they agreed to swap this years 3rd round picks, moving us back 8 spots to the very end of the 3rd round.

We got the 29th pick in this years draft and the equivalent value of a very late 3rd round pick.

The Chiefs got a 25 year old, just entering his prime, that is clearly viewed by the NFL as a top pass rusher, and moved up 8 spots in the 3rd round.

I feel like this was an OK trade for us (again, given the situation), but this is going to look like an awfully bad trade if Clark goes on to shine in KC and we don't end up with an impact player out of that 29th pick somehow.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hotchy":37it9e2z said:
Seymour, you are missing my point...
Wagner will be 29 this summer. Why would you want to pay a huge cap portion to a single player, not named Wilson ? Wagner got his 2nd contract. You need to take your heart out of it, and sell high. No player, other than a QB should get a 3rd contract. There's more Wagners and Clarks in college right now. You just gotta find them.
Wags will be looking to break the bank next year, and no way they get their return

Bobby had arguably his best year ever last year, add in the fact that he's the defensive leader and middle LB's can play and still be effective well into their mid 30's (Ray Lewis), and IMO it's a no brainer to extend Bobby.

CJ Mosely for the Jets just got 17M per year, so that's about what we'd have to extend Bobby at, maybe a little more. Not unreasonable, and totally doable now under our cap.

Bottom line for Bobby, speed and physicality are not his problem if his play diminishes. He's still fast as hell, and is the biggest hitter in the league at his position. Therefore I have ZERO problem extending him., he's not at a speed/quickness position (DB, Edge rusher, outside LB, RB or WR) where you worry about greatly diminished returns year to year.

Latest posts