Fred Jackson is a Seahawk

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Welcome aboard FJax.

And also thankyou for 3 years ago when you gave my fantasy team a huge boost until you unfortunately broke your leg and my season tail-spinned.

I wonder if he will claim Tye Smith's #22 jersey which he has worn his entire career in Buffalo (I think).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Lane is on PUP. You don't need to use a Designate to Return on him.

And again, using the IR w/ Designate to Return isn't necessarily about quality of the player. It's about holding a roster spot for an additional RB in case something doesn't work out with what we have or someone else gets hurt. Best time to use it is at the beginning of the season when you have a surplus of healthy players and spots are tight. Later in the year, people will get hurt and spots will open up as the natural course of things. The Designate to Return becomes less important. If a starter gets hurt, you just hold them on the roster until they heal up.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Tical21":3uu1wafr said:
storm74":3uu1wafr said:
I love the speed and elusiveness of Michael, but the fact that he doesn't even know which hand to carry the ball in is enough to get rid of him at this point.
How in the world have we not fixed that in three years? At this point it is about as much a Sherman Smith issue as anything.

How can you say that when every other RB has been fine? If every RB had fumbling issues, then maybe you would have a case.

Some guys just don't get it no matter how much they are taught, and I think Michael is one of them.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1nnmd08m said:
Tical21":1nnmd08m said:
storm74":1nnmd08m said:
I love the speed and elusiveness of Michael, but the fact that he doesn't even know which hand to carry the ball in is enough to get rid of him at this point.
How in the world have we not fixed that in three years? At this point it is about as much a Sherman Smith issue as anything.

How can you say that when every other RB has been fine? If every RB had fumbling issues, then maybe you would have a case.

Some guys just don't get it no matter how much they are taught, and I think Michael is one of them.

Yup, Lynch's ball security has improved every year, Turbin had excellent ball security, Rawls/Smith have not had any fumbles, etc.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
DavidSeven":eyylxc9m said:

And again, using the IR w/ Designate to Return isn't necessarily about quality of the player. It's about holding a roster spot for an additional RB in case something doesn't work out with what we have or someone else gets hurt. Best time to use it is at the beginning of the season when you have a surplus of healthy players and spots are tight. Later in the year, people will get hurt and spots will open up as the natural course of things. The Designate to Return becomes less important. If a starter gets hurt, you just hold them on the roster until they heal up.

EDIT: Guess they changed the PUP rules in 2013. You're right.

Still would rather keep that IR/return thing in your back pocket if god forbid a key player went down early in the year.

crosfam

Reaction score
Veteran running back who wants a ring. He and Lynch might be done next year.

I really like Turbin - 4th round pick and a quality #2, but with his contract up, I doubt he would be back next year. I am sure they want to rest Lynch a little more so he is fresh and unhurt down the stretch. Barring a trade, I bet we keep Michael and try to practice squad Rawls. Which means we watch Rawls play for somebody else.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2sb0si6o said:
Hasselbeck":2sb0si6o said:
DavidSeven":2sb0si6o said:

If Lane isn't ready by Week 6, they have to either put him on IR or IR/return (if they haven't used it)

That's why I'd rather save it for Lane than burn it on Turbin.

Well...they would just have to place him on the 53 after 6 games. Doesn't mean he has to be ready, they then have a leeway period for him practice, I think 3-4 weeks. At that point he would need to pass a physical and play or they would have to IR/injury settlement.

I guess the window is extended to Week 11 now on PUP players.. they get 3 weeks after their first practice

Boiler

Reaction score
I have to admit that until earlier this week I thought Fred Jackson and Fred Taylor were the same person. Should have done the math and realized that Fred Taylor would probably be in his 40s by now.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2swdlpti said:
Still would rather keep that IR/return thing in your back pocket if god forbid a key player went down early in the year.

Agree. I hate using it before the season even starts. There are more important players we may need it for.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3dydocl8 said:

I think your logic about the IR designation is sound, and it's pretty much what Seattle did last year with it. I just think that with Turbin you could cut him with a settlement and it would be basically the same thing. I don't think teams are going to value an injured Turbin on a one year deal highly enough to sign and stash him.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Fred.

Bye Christine.

Whether they IR Turbin or not, he stays a Seahawk. Jackson may be better in pass pro (than just about anyone on any team!) but Turbo's still the second best back on the team. Now we got 3 guys that basically do everything right.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":35vzxy9r said:
Welcome aboard Fred.

Bye Christine.

Whether they IR Turbin or not, he stays a Seahawk. Jackson may be better in pass pro (than just about anyone on any team!) but Turbo's still the second best back on the team. Now we got 3 guys that basically do everything right.

Yup. No matter what they end up doing to balance this out, it looks like they upgraded the RB position as a whole.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":4wq9otw6 said:
Welcome aboard Fred.

Bye Christine.

Turbin I think is gone. Christine could learn a lot about being a competitor from Fred Jackson.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":jjem07sn said:
I think your logic about the IR designation is sound, and it's pretty much what Seattle did last year with it. I just think that with Turbin you could cut him with a settlement and it would be basically the same thing.

This is a good point, though I think you have to wait until like Week 9 or so to re-sign your own injury settlement players and he gets a few weeks to sign with other teams once he's healed before Seattle can do that (vs. Short Term IR where you could reactivate him whenever). So, you could imagine a team like Houston possibly jumping on him during that signing window after he's healed up.

That said, if the coaches don't find him valuable enough to be an active roster player, then I agree with others that it's not worth using the designation on him. The argument really only applies to players you're absolutely certain that you want on the team. Not sure we know the answer to this yet.

StoneCold

Reaction score
hawknation2015":wb2oqafy said:
c_hawkbob":wb2oqafy said:
Welcome aboard Fred.

Bye Christine.

Turbin I think is gone. Christine could learn a lot about being a competitor from Fred Jackson.

This. As frustrating as Christine can be, he still has far more upside than Turbin and while I love me some Turbo I think he's gone. Maybe no one bites after we give him a settlement and he's still available, but even then what role would he have on this team?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3kf6th9g said:
c_hawkbob":3kf6th9g said:
Welcome aboard Fred.

Bye Christine.

I kind of hope Christine is moved and Rawls stays

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":54lgm9p9 said:
hawknation2015":54lgm9p9 said:
c_hawkbob":54lgm9p9 said:
Welcome aboard Fred.

Bye Christine.

I kind of hope Christine is moved and Rawls stays

Hypothetically, they could keep Lynch, Jackson, Michael, and Rawls. I doubt we can get value for Michael; the raw athleticism is still there, but everyone in the league knows about the mental errors.

IMO, that would be the deepest RB corps that we have ever had, when you factor in Coleman as a fifth guy who can run the ball, block/catch on 3rd downs.