Fred Jackson is a Seahawk

Osprey12

Reaction score
Boiler":3085epyf said:
I have to admit that until earlier this week I thought Fred Jackson and Fred Taylor were the same person. Should have done the math and realized that Fred Taylor would probably be in his 40s by now.
Well to be fair I don't think Fred Jackson is too far from being in his 40's. I love Fred so don't take this as hate on the signing.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I just do not see what all the hype is about Michael...He does not look like he has what it takes to make it in the nfl. Rawls looked more explosive and had better moves. Michael looks like he knows he is gonna screw up every time he gets the ball. Does Jackson fall down like Turbin?

kearly

Reaction score
I think this signing was all about the simple fact that even a 34 year old Fred Jackson is probably a better player than Robert Turbin, and the ankle injury to Turbo just made the decision that much easier. Whether Seattle IR's Turbin with designation to return or attempts the Mike-Rob method, Seattle has options available to them to bring Turbin back later in the year if needed without committing a roster spot to him tomorrow.

And even if Turbin doesn't return, I think the team probably feels good enough about Rawls to take over if needed.

As far as Michael goes, he is a few minor tweaks away from being a very good player, and he did show some progress this preseason. Seattle tends to be patient with talent, it has served them well in the past with other guys who had raw ability but did dumb shit (Golden Tate, Bruce Irvin, etc). Maybe they cut him, but I doubt it, it just goes against their MO. And Carroll's presser last week strongly indicated that Michael was not in any danger of losing his job.

I think Jackson's downside as a runner isn't much lower than Turbin's, and his upside is that of a guy who can be a top 10 RB on a per-touch basis. He's also reputed to be a phenomenal blocker, and right now that's a big need on pass rushing downs. He looked good in the preseason, and looked great through his first 55 carries last year. He also had 66 catches last year for 501 yards. In the Turbin role he'd have about half as many total touches as Jackson had last year (207), and that should help him eke out one more good season.

Jackson also saw his numbers fall in part because Kyle Orton is not a read option QB. Orton took over at QB a quarter the way into the 2014 season.

I love this signing. I think Jackson will be reinvigorated not only by the reduced workload, but also by the read option system and a run blocking scheme that creates a lot of big play opportunities for a back with good vision.

Osprey12

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3mmhkyn1 said:
I just do not see what all the hype is about Michael...He does not look like he has what it takes to make it in the nfl. Rawls looked more explosive and had better moves. Michael looks like he knows he is gonna screw up every time he gets the ball. Does Jackson fall down like Turbin?
I like Rawls too and think Michaels time here is probably over. I ask this in all seriousness because I haven't watched the preseason this year as much as usual but has Rawls played against ones this preseason? Every time I've saw him tearing it up has been against 2's and 3's.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The news came down Friday that running back Fred Jackson and the Seattle Seahawks have agreed to a one-year contract. The move gives Jackson the opportunity to play for a Super Bowl contender, and the Seahawks a great and needed addition to their backfield.

With Marshawn Lynch, Seattle has arguably the best running back in the NFL – he’s No. 1 in our PFF ratings among RBs entering the 2015 season — running behind arguably the worst offensive line in the NFL. In Buffalo, Jackson ran behind another offensive line that was one of the league’s worst. Jackson has consistently been productive, despite having little help from his line up front.

Yes, he is now 34 years old, but there are signs that he can still be effective this season. He forced 39 missed tackles in 2014, as noted by colleague Sam Monson, and he earned a positive grade both as a runner and as a receiver.

Not only that, but he’d be filling a void for Seattle. While Lynch has been one of the NFL’s most consistent and durable performers at the position, the Seahawks don’t have much to back him up. Christine Michael, Robert Turbin and Thomas Rawls all have negative grades this preseason, and don’t provide any stability if Lynch were to go down with an injury.

It’s tough to say how long Jackson can perform at high level, but based on his past two seasons of above-average play, it’s a safe bet that he could be a reliable backup for Seattle.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -seahawks/

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
My guess is that they are going to IR Turbin for the year, and trade C-Mike.
Rawls makes the squad.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1v84lp42 said:
My guess is that they are going to IR Turbin for the year, and trade C-Mike.
Rawls makes the squad.

Agree on Rawls making the roster, but I think Turbin will be released and we won't get value for Michael to trade him.

Here's some info from PFF on Fred Jackson's 2014 season:

Ry0SkrA

Eight positive games as a pass blocker, with no sacks allowed, one neutral game, and five negative games in which he combined to allow nine pressures. He was never used as a lead blocker.

Nine positive games as receiver, 66 catches for 501 yards, one neutral game, and four negative games. He had only two drops on 82 throws to him with 66 catches (80.5% catch rate). He averaged a 8.9 yards after the catch, forcing 19 missed tackles as a receiver.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
This is interesting, and a good move. I am a big fan of Turbin even if he isn't what we all wanted him to be. Hope we find a way to keep him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Wow!!! I leave work and during the commute home, this happens! Nice. This is bittersweet if it means no Rawls. After yesterday he deserved to be on the 53 man roster. Jackson is definitely an upgrade in the backfield behind Lynch. Visualizing a two back set with Lynch and Jackson.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If he's still got it, his biggest contribution may be as an outlet receiver. Had 66 catches last year, which was the same number as our #1 receiver (Baldwin). 7th in the NFL in YAC.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DavidSeven":x2m9tceu said:
If he's still got it, his biggest contribution may be as an outlet receiver. Had 66 catches last year, which was the same number as our #1 receiver (Baldwin). 7th in the NFL in YAC.
This and his pass blocking.

Seafan

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":6nk3r57a said:
DavidSeven":6nk3r57a said:
Always felt they could keep four RBs, so that doesn't change anything for me. Lynch, Jackson, Turbin and Michael could still be on this team.

If they do IR Turbin, they could slap the IR w/ Designation for Return on him. This gives them several weeks to see what they have at running back. I know some people like to "save" it for better players, but it's honestly better just to use it early as you try to sort out your roster. If someone else gets hurt for a few weeks, you just hold them on the roster until they heal up.

Burning the IR/Return on Turbin would suck. Would rather flat IR/waive him than do that. Especially since Lane's status is still up in the air

Lane's situation has no connection to Turbin or the DTR. Lane is PUPed, not IRed.

Seafan

Reaction score
Largent80":132egqn5 said:
Hey everyone. Did you hear Fred Jackson was flying to Seattle?

Was he in first class? Hope he didn't choose the beef tips.