Free Agent Signings For 2019

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'd love for them to find a way to get Za'Darius Smith in here on a decent deal. Some sites have him rated as a guy that'll get a top deal which I don't think Seattle would pay. However, some other places have him more as a 2nd tier guy, and if that's where his market ends up I hope Seattle pounces.

Justin Houston is intriguing (plus he's a cut so won't take away from comp picks in any way) but as someone else pointed out already, he's more an OLB/Edge type and may not be the best fit opposite Clark. I think they're looking for a bigger guy that can play more the 5T and be stout against the run but also pass rush. IDK, they could also just get the best players and alter the scheme a bit to fit those players better, which is not something they've never done before...

Olivier Vernon would be a really good get if he also ends up getting released.

I guess for me the #1 priority is getting some help for Clark and Reed in pass rush. However, I don't think it can be just a situational, rotation guy. I think it needs to be a guy that can be in there for both run and passing downs, especially when teams play up tempo and don't allow you to sub.

My second highest priority would be linebacker. Calitro was solid against the run but a liability in coverage. Mingo was solid in coverage but a liability against the run. I don't think KJ is going to be in the plans going forward. So, they need a more well rounded OLB. If Kendricks isn't in jail and can play the whole season that would help out a lot as he was excellent in this defense when he played. However, that's not something you can count on fully right now.

I also originally wanted to take advantage of the mass of safeties on the open market and bring in a vet for competition. I've backed off that because I think you have to see what you have between McDougald, Thompson, and Hill. I don't want an older vet starting over those guys as just a stop gap, and I don't want to commit big money to a FA like Collins or Amos when we haven't really seen what these guys are yet.

James in PA

Reaction score
I say spend some extra $ and get Stephen Gostkowski. I’m tired of screwing around with the kicker position. This guy is only 35, still young for a kicker. He’s very reliable. Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hell yes, an actual consistent kicker. Haven't had one since the year BEFORE Haush left. His final season he was just ok. Though people tend to forget that.

DJrmb

Reaction score
If you're going to spend top $$$ on a kicker wouldn't you pick Wil Lutz from NO (25 YO, 93.3% FG and 98.1% XP)? Or do you think Gostkowski (35 YO, 84.4% FG and 98% XP) is the better option (or more predictable option) because he didn't play half his games in a dome?

Edit:
Scratch that, I just noticed Lutz is RFA. I'm sure he'll be tendered too by NO. Looks like Gostkowski it is! Or maybe Ka'imi Fairbairn.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

Follow Follow @RapSheet

Source: The #49ers are signing LB Kwon Alexander to a 4-year deal worth $54M.

:34853_doh: What a horrible signing, dude can't cover at all. WAYYYYY over paid. Hilarious

Chapow

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2l3a31i7 said:
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

Follow Follow @RapSheet

Source: The #49ers are signing LB Kwon Alexander to a 4-year deal worth $54M.

:34853_doh: What a horrible signing, dude can't cover at all. WAYYYYY over paid. Hilarious

That seems like way too much for a guy that's only ever had one stand out year and is coming off a torn ACL suffered in week 7.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I can tell you one guy who absolutely loves the Alexander signing.
Bobby Wagner.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Justin Coleman getting 4 years, 36 mil from the Lions. Good for him. WAY above what we would have been able to pay, or should pay. He was a real solid contributor and a steal for a 7th rounder when we got him.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Yes I doubt the Hawks would match or improve upon this deal. This is a significant deal for Coleman and not necessarily a good thing for the Hawks b/c they lose a quality NCB. Although if it is possible for the FO to control the number of FAs acquired is/could be a potential comp pick for the Hawks.

The team at least got 2 years of good play for him for a 7th round pick.

chris98251

Reaction score
So that thread in the NFL forum should be changed to do the Seahawks want Bortles.

James in PA

Reaction score
Looks like we’ll be bargain hunting again this year in free agency.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
James in PA":b1u60pfi said:

I think the lack of comp picks has given the fo pause for thought. Would not be shocked if we signed noone before the deadline.

getnasty

Reaction score
Has Seattle been linked to anybody? I know the usually 2nd amd 3rd tier shoppers but i havent even heard a name yet.

kobebryant

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":qlt4mooe said:
James in PA":qlt4mooe said:

I think the lack of comp picks has given the fo pause for thought. Would not be shocked if we signed noone before the deadline.

Which deadline?