Freese has to go

Hawks46

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2pncahlx said:
The entire situation makes no sense.

We had a capable long snapper. Who was reasonably priced considering how important the position is.

We instead decided to go with an undersized, underskilled replacement that suddenly resulted in TWO of our most consistent assets (FG kicking and punting) to suddenly have issues all year. Issues that have likely cost us multiple games.

At this point, I have to assume there is some backstory or something that happened between our LS and the coaching staff. Nothing else makes sense.

I hope whatever feud or problem they had with the guy was worth it, because it likely cost us the #2 seed this year.

It was terminally and completely stupid, given how much we depended on FGs because of our inability to score in the RZ and because of how important field position has loomed because our offense is often barely even there for the first half of a game.

Combine that with the issue that additional challenges can lead to turnovers or safeties in the playoffs and you have to really want to see the Cost/Benefit Analysis they did because it was clearly flawed.

That one decision hurt us probably worse than any other decision this year. It was one of the single most important choices they made that negatively affected the team.

Our long snapper is actually pretty big for a long snapper. He's listed as a DE at 245 lbs. Which is larger than Gresham was. The reasoning I remember hearing in the preseason was that Freese was larger and faster than Gresham and he would be better in coverage and not a liability.

My theory is that the coaching staff thought he would get better with reps. To be fair, when he air mailed that snap to Ryan, he had a bum ankle and could hardly walk on it. The next snap was right in there.

Not defending him, but the OP was basically incorrect; Freese was selected for his physical attributes.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I remember reading an article explaining why they dropped Gresham. Simply, he never tackled, seems he was the only long snapper never to have a tackle downfield. I think PC thought he could improve his ST performance with someone who could actually get down the field.

Mem a little hazy, but it's what I recall.

Redsand187

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1jlxkc8q said:
I remember reading an article explaining why they dropped Gresham. Simply, he never tackled, seems he was the only long snapper never to have a tackle downfield. I think PC thought he could improve his ST performance with someone who could actually get down the field.

Mem a little hazy, but it's what I recall.
Sometime's it's you just have to admit you were wrong and go back to how it was before you tried for improvement.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Hawks46":3tmvlx91 said:
Not defending him, but the OP was basically incorrect; Freese was selected for his physical attributes.

635644872545700658-1306043252_kronk%20gif.gif

Popeyejones

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":1heedclm said:
You just can't do this as the playoffs are about to begin. Believe it or not, it could get worse.

My thoughts on this too.

It's obviously a problem and there's no denying that, but the window to start tinkering with it has definitely passed.

mrt144

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1ebzn3x2 said:
Will never understand how they have stuck with him all season.

We need a long term replacement at LS, he's a rookie and cheap and can fulfill the role for years to come. How our rookie LS gets more "replace him NOW!" grief than any of the OL is kinda funny.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Could Freese being too physical at the line be the reason's he hurt alot this season as well, compared to Gresham who didn't try to tackle at all. There still need to be a competition this offseason.

OP
OP
W

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score

Incorrect about what? That he isn't a good snapper?

OP
OP
W

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
mrt144":i3ij2zbv said:
FlyingGreg":i3ij2zbv said:

We need a long term replacement at LS, he's a rookie and cheap and can fulfill the role for years to come. How our rookie LS gets more "replace him NOW!" grief than any of the OL is kinda funny.

Because long snappers are not a commodity. Obviously you can't sign a reliable offensive lineman mid-season, teams have signed long snappers off the street.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":17gw5g97 said:
mrt144":17gw5g97 said:
FlyingGreg":17gw5g97 said:

Because long snappers are not a commodity. Obviously you can't sign a reliable offensive lineman mid-season, teams have signed long snappers off the street.

Just FYI, I think you meant a long snapper IS a commodity since there is little differentiation no matter where they are acquired (e.g. from the street). I also disagree and think long snapping is a unique skill that takes years of training to master to the degree required by the NFL. Are they highly valued? Absolutely not, but I honestly don't think they are that easily obtainable where you can call them off the street at any time and expect them to be reliable.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
VERY interesting point. 32 teams have had the entire season to pick him up. Yet we are frustrated the Hawks didn't pick him up.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3qdzjd8r said:
VERY interesting point. 32 teams have had the entire season to pick him up. Yet we are frustrated the Hawks didn't pick him up.
Gresh was injured in TC, I posted a link to the Seattle Times article. His shoulder.

irfuben32

Reaction score
I am sure this is a silly question. Why do you need a dedicated long snapper?

Hunt couldn't do this job? Center's already do shotgun snaps. it doesn't seem like that big of a leap

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
irfuben32":2pqz0iw7 said:
I am sure this is a silly question. Why do you need a dedicated long snapper?

Hunt couldn't do this job? Center's already do shotgun snaps. it doesn't seem like that big of a leap
Great question. Why not Hunt, he snapped shotguns to Boykin with success, is it that much different? Honest question, but knowing there is some kinda answer. Sowell is supposed to be capable too.