Gary Gilliam signed to offer sheet by 49ers

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2f6jmw5x said:
He'll still end up being better than Gilliam.

Could be. But there is a good chance that doesn't happen this season IMO, and right now, that is my main concern. His biggest weakness is pass protection, so we put him outside where he will see better athletes and more room to work him?? Sorry man, I just want Russell to have a chance this year, and this oline is a huge key. They are already changing plans they had earlier to leave Ifedi where he was, this is not a good sign given the past experience with shuffling olinemen and getting destroyed up front. Same thing happened in 2015 the first 4 games and it's getting old. So yes, I am paranoid on this issue and watching closely.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
nash72":3v0iddj7 said:
I cant see the line being getting any worse with the absence of Gilliam. Any NFL caliber body should be able to replicate what he brought to the table.

Fans say that every year, and every year the line finds a way to get worse. I was not in favor of tempting fate.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seymour":1gmqxd0u said:
MontanaHawk05":1gmqxd0u said:
Seymour":1gmqxd0u said:
SoulfishHawk":1gmqxd0u said:
Gary Gilliam is an average at best player. Agree to disagree

And so far Ifedi is pure crap at best. The good news is he makes Joeckel look like a good move to Cable.

Also poor analysis. Ifedi has some great plays last year, mixed in with some terrible ones.

It's pretty easy to fall into that misconception. Bad plays always get called out; good plays don't. You should read Fieldgulls a bit more. They have actual tape.

By the way, Gilliam's departure all but ensures that Ifedi is now our right tackle.

In your opinion. But, there are more creditable ones to consider.....
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-how-every-2016-first-round-pick-has-played-this-season/

31. Germain Ifedi, OL, Seahawks (Texas A&M)

Snaps: 777

PFF overall grade: 37.6

Germain Ifedi has been one of the league’s worst offensive linemen in his rookie season, playing guard on a team that seems stacked with them. He has surrendered 38 total QB pressures (tied for fourth-most among guards), despite playing only 12 games, and been flagged eight times. His run blocking has at least been passable, but his pass protection needs to improve immeasurably for him to be a viable starter.

You're using PFF? Seriously?

I know what I've seen from tape. Ifedi wasn't a world-beater, but he had some great plays and was a rookie. Britt was worse in his first two years and look how he turned out. Ifedi has more than enough potential to be worth being in the competitive mix - he just needs to get consistent.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1bb1bnfn said:
Seymour":1bb1bnfn said:
In your opinion. But, there are more creditable ones to consider.....
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-how-every-2016-first-round-pick-has-played-this-season/

31. Germain Ifedi, OL, Seahawks (Texas A&M)

Snaps: 777

PFF overall grade: 37.6

Germain Ifedi has been one of the league’s worst offensive linemen in his rookie season, playing guard on a team that seems stacked with them. He has surrendered 38 total QB pressures (tied for fourth-most among guards), despite playing only 12 games, and been flagged eight times. His run blocking has at least been passable, but his pass protection needs to improve immeasurably for him to be a viable starter.

You're using PFF? Seriously?

I know what I've seen from tape. Ifedi wasn't a world-beater, but he had some great plays and was a rookie. Britt was worse in his first two years and look how he turned out. Ifedi has more than enough potential to be worth being in the competitive mix - he just needs to get consistent.

Yes, thanks but once again I will defer to the experts on this. I could show you tape where Paul McQuistan looked good against JJ Watt as well. What does that prove?

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/25/pro-football-focus-nfl-neil-hornsby-cris-collinsworth-analytics

There’s a good chance you’ve heard of Pro Football Focus. Last summer, former NFL wideout Cris Collinsworth made a significant investment in the company, and he trusts the analysis so much that he uses its scouting information when commentating on NBC’s Sunday Night Football. PFF’s statistics are widely cited in NFL media reports about players, teams and trends, and Hornsby has appeared in several stories on The MMQB. But what the public sees on Pro Football Focus’s website is just a tidal pool compared to the ocean of information that NFL teams are paying very good money (PFF won’t disclose how much) to access.

nash72

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2epy6zv7 said:
nash72":2epy6zv7 said:
I cant see the line being getting any worse with the absence of Gilliam. Any NFL caliber body should be able to replicate what he brought to the table.

Fans say that every year, and every year the line finds a way to get worse. I was not in favor of tempting fate.

I cant even argue with you Montana. You might very well be right. It'll be interesting to see how it can get worse though.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":c6ix5pty said:
Seymour":c6ix5pty said:
SoulfishHawk":c6ix5pty said:
Gary Gilliam is an average at best player. Agree to disagree

And so far Ifedi is pure crap at best. The good news is he makes Joeckel look like a good move to Cable.

Also poor analysis. Ifedi has some great plays last year, mixed in with some terrible ones.

It's pretty easy to fall into that misconception. Bad plays always get called out; good plays don't. You should read Fieldgulls a bit more. They have actual tape.

By the way, Gilliam's departure all but ensures that Ifedi is now our right tackle.

Agreed. People also just assume if you can play Tackle, you can play Guard. Listening to what Pete and Cable said last year, they didn't want to stick Ifedi outside his first year, and wanted him to play Guard for some seasoning. The plan was never for him to stay at Guard.

Looking at some film analysis, and Ifedi is athletically better suited for Tackle. He's tall and long, and has an issue with getting to high in his stance. At Tackle, you play higher in your stance, so this won't be the same challenge that he had.

Run blocking assignments are typically easier at Tackle, and stunts are normally easier to pick up as well.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Well this has potential to be very telling and a lose …lose for our staff. The ninnies are willing to pay this kind of cash to bring in a player who has under-performed under our staff so evidently they believe the problem is Tom Cable. If Gilliam is successful there then you also have to question this whole idea our staff shares that we can just build adequate offensive linemen. More often than not this hasn’t worked and when it does we can’t retain the player anyway. If Gilliam works out then basically Russell Wilson and our running backs all took a lot of serious hits so that Gary Gilliam could learn to better protect another teams QB. However if Gary Gilliam goes to San Fran and is still a turnstile that he was here well then it’s more proof that our staffs offensive line development strategy just doesn’t work.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2tpcudo0 said:
Well this has potential to be very telling and a lose …lose for our staff. The ninnies are willing to pay this kind of cash to bring in a player who has under-performed under our staff so evidently they believe the problem is Tom Cable. If Gilliam is successful there then you also have to question this whole idea our staff shares that we can just build adequate offensive linemen. More often than not this hasn’t worked and when it does we can’t retain the player anyway. If Gilliam works out then basically Russell Wilson and our running backs all took a lot of serious hits so that Gary Gilliam could learn to better protect another teams QB. However if Gary Gilliam goes to San Fran and is still a turnstile that he was here well then it’s more proof that our staffs offensive line development strategy just doesn’t work.

So if Gary Gilliam is better at San Fran its because he got away from Cable. But if he doesn't it's because of Cable?

Profound (but hypocritical) logic...

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1la1fv3u said:
Seymour":1la1fv3u said:
I will take this as a sign they still plan to trade Sherm, have a deal that is close, and will have more options then we now see. :snack:
SHERM is not going anywhere. God, I wish the damn talk would stop. SMH.

Goodbye Gilliam. No loss. He sucked.

Ten days and we will finally be able to put it to rest. Can't wait for the draft.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
brimsalabim":273x1jzj said:

Or..........If he has success there, it could be that he continues to grow as a player. His time here would have to be added to his success, it wouldn't necessarily be in spite of his time here.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Ifedi played decent against Aaron Donald when he was supposed to bull rush him , but when he was supposed to pull or take him at an angle or cut block , the work was just piss poor execution.
I can't recall ever seeing so many whiff's from just not looking at the guy you're supposed to block.
Cable has to have had seen this which is why I put the blame on him more than Ifedi .
When called on to engage it was great but when called on to finesse him it just wasn't there and coaching is able to fix those things but it just isn't happening so I'm just hoping that's what they address more than anything else.
Stunts also destroyed him but that was joeckel's strong suit so It's all on cable right now ain't it :180670:
The field gulls video on this is just excellent for the both of them
Let's just agree that if we suck that bad on the line again that it really is Cable's fault cuz omg wtf smfh wwjd :177692:

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Garry_Gilliam/status/854382717479387138[/tweet]

Clouser said the 49ers offered his client a three-year, front-loaded deal last week after Gilliam visited with new coach Kyle Shanahan and general manager John Lynch. When Gilliam declined that, Clouser said, San Francisco countered with a two-year deal with even more money front loaded. Gilliam and Clouser didn’t want to give up any of the player’s years in unrestricted free agency, so they declined the two-year deal, as well. That’s when the 49ers persisted, countering again with a one-year deal guaranteeing him the $1.4 million. The total possible value is a raise of more than 300 percent from the $600,000 Gilliam made as Seattle’s starting tackle last season.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... rylink=cpy

Gilliam is only the second person to make it through both Milton Hershey and college to play in the NFL. Joe Senser graduated from Milton Hershey in 1974 and played tight end for the Minnesota Vikings.

In the years since he became a surprise Seahawk, Gilliam has returned to Milton Hershey. He’s talked to its students. He’s visited his former coaches and mentors and attended a Friday night football game of his former high school team. They absoultely love him there.

Now he’s a millionaire. Guaranteed.

“I think he’s made more money than guys in that draft class that went in the second round,” Clouser said.

“It’s a miracle. And, yeah, it’s about time to give him some guaranteed money.

“He’s definitely a special kid.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... rylink=cpy

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
thanks for that one catch...other than that no big loss. Again a pylon can fill his role adequately.

Latest posts