Gary Gilliam signed to offer sheet by 49ers

chris98251

Reaction score
We see this routinely, If not mistaken he was pretty much benched last year at the end of the season and they brought in replacements already, yes he was tendered but I think it was about him hopefully improving and growing, not on what he had done so far on the filed so much. Could he be in the much feared Cable Doghouse also.

Josea16

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":20r1kn01 said:
Ifedi was a ROOKIE last year. A little different. Way too early to act like he's a bust. I look forward to you being very wrong about Ifedi. He'll end up being a much better player than Gilliam ever was or ever will be.
Not that long ago, people were calling Britt a major bust. He turned out ok.
I'd hazard to say much better then just okay.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Gilliam is so awful. We were right not to guarantee him anything. At his skill level, he needs to be paid like he is fighting for a roster spot.

He was only guaranteed something on one of the worst rosters in the NFL. 49ers overpaid all offseason for middling talent and that is OK because middling is an improvement for them.

Josea16

Reaction score
Jville":2rqywju6 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Garry_Gilliam/status/854382717479387138[/tweet]

Clouser said the 49ers offered his client a three-year, front-loaded deal last week after Gilliam visited with new coach Kyle Shanahan and general manager John Lynch. When Gilliam declined that, Clouser said, San Francisco countered with a two-year deal with even more money front loaded. Gilliam and Clouser didn’t want to give up any of the player’s years in unrestricted free agency, so they declined the two-year deal, as well. That’s when the 49ers persisted, countering again with a one-year deal guaranteeing him the $1.4 million. The total possible value is a raise of more than 300 percent from the $600,000 Gilliam made as Seattle’s starting tackle last season.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... rylink=cpy

Gilliam is only the second person to make it through both Milton Hershey and college to play in the NFL. Joe Senser graduated from Milton Hershey in 1974 and played tight end for the Minnesota Vikings.

In the years since he became a surprise Seahawk, Gilliam has returned to Milton Hershey. He’s talked to its students. He’s visited his former coaches and mentors and attended a Friday night football game of his former high school team. They absoultely love him there.

Now he’s a millionaire. Guaranteed.

“I think he’s made more money than guys in that draft class that went in the second round,” Clouser said.

“It’s a miracle. And, yeah, it’s about time to give him some guaranteed money.

“He’s definitely a special kid.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... rylink=cpy
Special kid my butt. He may graduate to adequate someday but actually good? I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale for anyone that believes that pile of poppycock.

Josea16

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1fhaqh3m said:
Gilliam is so awful. We were right not to guarantee him anything. At his skill level, he needs to be paid like he is fighting for a roster spot.
Given that he would have been fighting for anything more than being a backup that makes total sense.

Josea16

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1h02sin9 said:
Now only 4 of 18 draft picks/UDFAs left from 2014... Britt, P Rich, Marsh, KPL.

What a terrible draft.
Britt and PRich are good to great, so no it's a typical draft. Terrible is either getting nothing or just 2-3 league average players. Britt and Richardson are much better then, to use baseball terms for league average (replacement level player). Seriously this site has pretty much gone silly with the trolling, negative Nellie crap and drama queens literally polluting every thread. Most anybody not a fan before 2013 either left or like myself barely posts because currently this place is the most toxic I have ever seen it be since the split from the original site. You can't and don't do a 2012-13 draft ever. It's why Pittsburgh went from utter crap to legacy team. Basically two stellar drafts and no free agency or salary cap.

The 2017 Seahawks are legitimate Superbowl contenders under the current rules and setup. That is the absolute best you can expect. Full stop, no pass go and no $200. Even without Gilliam. :D

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":2hkzy5aq said:
brimsalabim":2hkzy5aq said:
Well this has potential to be very telling and a lose …lose for our staff. The ninnies are willing to pay this kind of cash to bring in a player who has under-performed under our staff so evidently they believe the problem is Tom Cable. If Gilliam is successful there then you also have to question this whole idea our staff shares that we can just build adequate offensive linemen. More often than not this hasn’t worked and when it does we can’t retain the player anyway. If Gilliam works out then basically Russell Wilson and our running backs all took a lot of serious hits so that Gary Gilliam could learn to better protect another teams QB. However if Gary Gilliam goes to San Fran and is still a turnstile that he was here well then it’s more proof that our staffs offensive line development strategy just doesn’t work.

Or..........If he has success there, it could be that he continues to grow as a player. His time here would have to be added to his success, it wouldn't necessarily be in spite of his time here.
And that still means that our method of developing offensive line projects doesn't work FOR US. Our QB takes all the hits while the project is learning the position then the project moves on to another team before the experiment pays off. It''s a
Lose lose.

Josea16

Reaction score
brimsalabim":37q63gr0 said:
Jimjones0384":37q63gr0 said:
brimsalabim":37q63gr0 said:
Well this has potential to be very telling and a lose …lose for our staff. The ninnies are willing to pay this kind of cash to bring in a player who has under-performed under our staff so evidently they believe the problem is Tom Cable. If Gilliam is successful there then you also have to question this whole idea our staff shares that we can just build adequate offensive linemen. More often than not this hasn’t worked and when it does we can’t retain the player anyway. If Gilliam works out then basically Russell Wilson and our running backs all took a lot of serious hits so that Gary Gilliam could learn to better protect another teams QB. However if Gary Gilliam goes to San Fran and is still a turnstile that he was here well then it’s more proof that our staffs offensive line development strategy just doesn’t work.

Or..........If he has success there, it could be that he continues to grow as a player. His time here would have to be added to his success, it wouldn't necessarily be in spite of his time here.
And that still means that our method of developing offensive line projects doesn't work FOR US. Our QB takes all the hits while the project is learning the position then the project moves on to another team before the experiment pays off. It''s a
Lose lose.
I agree but understand I don't think Bevell is the issue but I absolutely believe Cable is the issue and needs to find a new career path. I would suggest McDonald's or Taco Bell if were in charge.

A-Dog

Reaction score
I personally think this is a big mistake. Why even tender him? I guess it's the guaranteed money that scared them off. I really don't think Gilliam is as bad as many posters think. I also think a lot of posters are not considering the hardships he went through last offseason and how those affected his development and his play early in the year. I also think he has a pretty high upside. The line actually looked pretty good at the end of last year with him back as the starter at RT.

My take on why we didn't match is that it's a personality conflict between he and Cable. It's not that he's a bad kid or isn't putting in the effort. It's that Cable tends to prefer "dirtbags" to quote our former head coach, and Gilliam didn't show that kind of toughness/aggression enough on the field. That's why they put in the inferior Sowell until they realized despite having the preferred "attitude" he wasn't as effective as Gilliam.

I predict Gilliam will eventually be a solid starter and an asset to his team. Wouldn't it be funny if we tried to sign him next offseason?

NINEster

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2vifpls1 said:
thanks for that one catch...other than that no big loss. Again a pylon can fill his role adequately.

Niners just scooping up ex Hawks who make huge catches in NFC Championship Games.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
A-Dog":38v5916w said:
I personally think this is a big mistake. Why even tender him? I guess it's the guaranteed money that scared them off. I really don't think Gilliam is as bad as many posters think. I also think a lot of posters are not considering the hardships he went through last offseason and how those affected his development and his play early in the year. I also think he has a pretty high upside. The line actually looked pretty good at the end of last year with him back as the starter at RT.

My take on why we didn't match is that it's a personality conflict between he and Cable. It's not that he's a bad kid or isn't putting in the effort. It's that Cable tends to prefer "dirtbags" to quote our former head coach, and Gilliam didn't show that kind of toughness/aggression enough on the field. That's why they put in the inferior Sowell until they realized despite having the preferred "attitude" he wasn't as effective as Gilliam.

I predict Gilliam will eventually be a solid starter and an asset to his team. Wouldn't it be funny if we tried to sign him next offseason?

He's terrible, time to move on. If Ifedi had been ready day one to play RT then Gilliam would have never even played a snap.

NYCoug

Reaction score
NINEster":1gqe548j said:
Cyrus12":1gqe548j said:
thanks for that one catch...other than that no big loss. Again a pylon can fill his role adequately.

Niners just scooping up ex Hawks who make huge catches in NFC Championship Games.

Any way I can get you to drug John Lynch and have him trade for Jermaine Kearse then? I'll trade you the exclusive rights to my first unborn child, my livers and kidneys, plus a future conditional organ for him to be off this roster and make yours infinitely worse in the process. Get back to me on that, thanks.

I'm in agreement with A-Dog. The Cable doghouse strikes again. Moffitt, Bailey, Bowie, and I know I'm forgetting a few more. Guys who we heard rave reviews about in their early years, only to find out that they aren't Cableish enough in terms of how much "dog" they have in them.

Funny, for all those that have given up on Gilliam, that Justin Britt is living proof that sometimes the light just turns on for these OLinemen. We probably won't know for sure how well Gilliam does, because he'll only be playing one season next to a pretty talentless team, but Ifedi and Aboushi better be ready.

Hey A-Dog, were you at the Texans game in Houston back in '13? I feel like your name sounds familiar and my buddy Greg and I may have sat next to you for the game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's ok, the same people who were calling Britt a bust early in his career, only to see him become a very good player, are the same ones who are about to Ifedi become a very good player.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1rz24bhy said:
It's ok, the same people who were calling Britt a bust early in his career, only to see him become a very good player, are the same ones who are about to Ifedi become a very good player.

Ifedi will become a good player; I'm confident in that. But if you recall, Britt also struggled in his 2nd year after a position switch.

I think Ifedi will have a much smoother 2nd year if he is allowed to continue his development at the right guard position, where he has flashed the potential to become a dominant run blocker. If Ifedi changes positions to RT, he will likely struggle against a myriad of speed rushers, not just twice a year against the likes of Aaron Donald.

Not giving Gilliam $2.2 million may (or may not) have been the best decision. But now they have to live with it. The margin for error in this draft just shrunk. Either they get lucky and manage to add a starter-caliber RT in the draft, i.e. Garett Bolles or Cam Robinson, or Ifedi is forced to change positions . . . and would likely struggle in pass protection for much of the season as a RT.

sam1313

Reaction score
hawknation2017":mycc2rx7 said:
SoulfishHawk":mycc2rx7 said:

Ifedi will become a good player; I'm confident in that. But if you recall, Britt also struggled in his 2nd year after a position switch.

I think Ifedi will have a much smoother 2nd year if he is allowed to continue his development at the right guard position, where he has flashed the potential to become a dominant run blocker. If Ifedi changes positions to RT, he will likely struggle against a myriad of speed rushers, not just twice a year against the likes of Aaron Donald.

Not giving Gilliam $2.2 million may (or may not) have been the best decision. But now they have to live with it. The margin for error in this draft just shrunk. Either they get lucky and manage to add a starter-caliber RT in the draft, i.e. Garett Bolles or Cam Robinson, or Ifedi is forced to change positions . . . and would likely struggle in pass protection for much of the season as a RT.

This is my concern as well. I am hoping that Ifedi is more of a natural right tackle than guard, but I agree he will have growing pains. And, I assume he will have to move out now given that we have an abundance of guards, and no real tackles.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I do understand why the team let Gilliam go, but finding scheme savvy OTs at a price less than $2.2 mil is a tall order that the Seahawks may find themselves challenged to overcome this offseason given the lack of depth in the draft and the market that exists for OTs presently.

This puts the team squarely in the markey for at least a RT. Having only one RT on the present roster is risky and puts the team into a situation where they may have to reach for need. I do hope the year odf seasoning for Ifedi will alow him to be able to play at Rt w/o too many difficulties. Maybe a player will spring open that the team likes and will add like perhaps Giacomini if he ever gets healthy enough to play. Time will tell but now if anything the team's depth situation at OT has worsened.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I really hope they draft one of those tackles I keep harping on.

If not, Luke Joeckel could probably play RT. He played there as a rookie and could be better on the right side, at least on paper, while George Fant resumes his play at LT. Oday Aboushi has a history at RT, but he's a bottom tier athlete. Rees Odhiambo doesn't have any experience at RT, is another poor athlete, and has struggled to adjust to playing on the right side generally. Robert Myers, another bottom tierish athlete, at least played RT in college. Yep, really counting on the draft here.

mrt144

Reaction score
NYCoug":3tuecgiq said:
NINEster":3tuecgiq said:
Cyrus12":3tuecgiq said:

Any way I can get you to drug John Lynch and have him trade for Jermaine Kearse then? I'll trade you the exclusive rights to my first unborn child, my livers and kidneys, plus a future conditional organ for him to be off this roster and make yours infinitely worse in the process. Get back to me on that, thanks.

I'm in agreement with A-Dog. The Cable doghouse strikes again. Moffitt, Bailey, Bowie, and I know I'm forgetting a few more. Guys who we heard rave reviews about in their early years, only to find out that they aren't Cableish enough in terms of how much "dog" they have in them.

Funny, for all those that have given up on Gilliam, that Justin Britt is living proof that sometimes the light just turns on for these OLinemen. We probably won't know for sure how well Gilliam does, because he'll only be playing one season next to a pretty talentless team, but Ifedi and Aboushi better be ready.

Hey A-Dog, were you at the Texans game in Houston back in '13? I feel like your name sounds familiar and my buddy Greg and I may have sat next to you for the game.

I like proof to be better than 2/12+

A-Dog

Reaction score
NYCoug":avz7e6rd said:
NINEster":avz7e6rd said:
Cyrus12":avz7e6rd said:

Nope, that wasn't me - probably somebody else with a first name that starts with A :p

Latest posts