Geno signing multi year deal

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I know but we were talking about 49ers sweeping Seattle.

I think Geno will struggle against good D like the 49ers and if 49ers add Wagz, and improve their secondary then yeah it's 2-0 SF.
Which is exactly what my replies are talking about. Geno wasn't a major reason we got swept and the one half where we had a lead was greatly on Geno's back. They're a better team than we are, period. Having consistency at QB and the ability to focus on greatly improving a bad defense and that is only going to increase our chances of not getting swept.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Seahawks and Pro-Bowl QB Geno Smith reached agreement on a three-year, $105 million contract, including $52 million in the first year, as
@Schultz_Report
reported.
That is missing the most important number, which is the number of guaranteed dollars. If it's a 2/2/51 w/ 50m signing bonus then you can get your reported "numbers" and it's a fantastic deal for the Hawks, but I'm 100% sure it isn't that. I'm also very sure this deal is not front loaded.

Torc

Reaction score
Schneider evaluated Mahomes and Allen, much to the dismay of the then-starter. I don't think Geno's contract prevents them from drafting a QB but it does reduce the pressure to do so and allows them to go defense. At least I'm sure they'll do their homework on every possibility.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
well they can't just do this and nothing else in FA. they have to address the front 7 before the draft... right? and he's not a FA but i hope they can pry deforest buckner away from the colts. he'd be a monster 3-4 DE for us. maybe too costly now. idk

cymatica

Reaction score
From what's leaking so far, Geno's cap hit should be well under $20 million and we need to cut some of the defensive players from last year, they did not play up to their contracts. This contract along with the necessary cuts leaves us room to pay the rookies and still get a few key free agent players.

I'm not sure how our defense can get much worse than it was for many of our losses last season. A rookie qb is almost a guarantee of needing at least a year or two to get into contention. Keeping Geno keeps a pretty good offense stay together (for the most part) and allows the front office to concentrate on improving us where we need it most, on defense.
I don't have intimate knowledge of how the cap works, but from everything I've read, anything around $20 million cap hit is a good deal for the team.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I wouldn't put it past them. John might very well snipe his dude and have him sit behind Geno for a couple of years. Makes sense to front load the deal so heavily if that's the plan.
Can't see that being the Number 5 pick, we have too many needs to invest both a ton of $ and a ton of draft capital at QB. If he really wanted one of the top 4 QBs but didn't think they would be ready for next season Geno would get tagged and his man would have a year to learn (barring injury to Geno).
If John has spotted a rough diamond that needs two years to shine he will want to select him on day 2 or even 3 of the draft.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Having Geno gives them room not to need to use a pick on day one to pick a qb. They can use their early picks to get some defensive talent and maybe draft a qb a bit further back. Someone who may need a little time behind a veteran who can compete for the job in year 2 or 3
"Late round" QB prospects sign 1 year backup contracts then leave the league. It's so frustrating hearing this, because the reality is, late round QBs amounting to anything is about the same odds as being struck by lightening. No, there's no value in late round QBs.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Can't see that being the Number 5 pick, we have too many needs to invest both a ton of $ and a ton of draft capital at QB. If he really wanted one of the top 4 QBs but didn't think they would be ready for next season Geno would get tagged and his man would have a year to learn (barring injury to Geno).
If John has spotted a rough diamond that needs two years to shine he will want to select him on day 2 or even 3 of the draft.
He tried to take Russ in the first, he tried to trade Russ for number 1 overall, and he would've taken Mahomes with the round 1 pick if Mahomes fell. I think he'd do whatever it takes, knowing what we know.

kidhawk

Reaction score
"Late round" QB prospects sign 1 year backup contracts then leave the league. It's so frustrating hearing this, because the reality is, late round QBs amounting to anything is about the same odds as being struck by lightening. No, there's no value in late round QBs.

I could make a list of quality late round quarterbacks, but that's not what I was thinking. I was thinking more mid round selection. Someone with a lot of athleticism who just needs some polishing.

Russ was a mid round steal. I don't expect us to find that. He was a starter right away, but I think we can get someone on the middle rounds that can sit a year or two and learn.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If we go D with #5, and get Hooker at 20, I could think of worse things. Hooker seems kind of old to sit for a year or two though. But maybe not.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
They aren't drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds. An absolute waste of a pick.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Sure didn't see this coming 11 months ago when I was complaining about giving him one year, $7 million. Good for Geno. I hope he stays motivated.
Man did very good for himself. Earned all his incentives and if I am remembering the numbers I heard during the season (of him only earning $19M over his career, not sure if it included '22) then he tripled his career earnings in one pen stroke.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
well they can't just do this and nothing else in FA. they have to address the front 7 before the draft... right? and he's not a FA but i hope they can pry deforest buckner away from the colts. he'd be a monster 3-4 DE for us. maybe too costly now. idk
Currently OTC shows $23m in cap space. Current rookie slots will cost $15m. Have to keep $5m ish for in season IR's etc.

That leaves $3m before Genos cap hit. Generously I'll say it's a $10m cap hit. That puts them over the cap by $7m before they do anything else to the roster. If they free up $20m in cap space by cutting/restructuring/extending guys, they now have $13m to sign FA. Going to be real slim pickings.

Brooks is hurt, Barton is a FA, most of the cap space would come via defensive cuts. The defense is going to be very rough this year IMO.