Geno Smith...

W

Welshers

is the worst QB in the NFL. The worst to actually have a shot at getting minutes at least. He was already rated dead last by The Athletic. The fact that it's a "competition" for the starting spot is hilarious. This is why so many people inside the building were pushing for Mayfield and now for Jimmy G. I'm telling you that we will come to regret not getting Baker.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Meh. I'm fine with rolling with whoever wins the competition.

Any effort to grab yet another stop gap is simply an effort to make for slightly better viewing. Doesn't really help the future of the franchise much.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Hopefully Lock can provide something because Geno and Eason were a big fat zero!! It seems like we could suck for most of this year... whatever.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Neither Baker or Jimmy are a long term solution. All they do is make a bad team a slightly better team. I understand fans want to win, but there is no QB we can get that will take this team over the top. RW couldn’t even get us the playoffs and he is a top 10 QB. Why would Jimmy G or Baker top what RW did?

We need to rebuild. That means losing a lot, developing the young kids, and hitting in the draft.

People act like Baker and Jimmy G are big time. They are sold QBs who need a great team around them to win.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Neither Baker or Jimmy are a long term solution. All they do is make a bad team a slightly better team. I understand fans want to win, but there is no QB we can get that will take this team over the top. RW couldn’t even get us the playoffs and he is a top 10 QB. Why would Jimmy G or Baker top what RW did?

We need to rebuild. That means losing a lot, developing the young kids, and hitting in the draft.

People act like Baker and Jimmy G are big time. They are sold QBs who need a great team around them to win.
From the games thus far, it does look like we got some hits in the draft this year. Cross, Mafe, Walker III, Lucas, and those two young corners, Woolen and Bryant, look like they will become legit NFL players in a hurry. Maybe even a couple more draftees or UDFAs could make it.

classicaaron

Reaction score
game was unwatchable as will be for most of the regular season. i dont know how anyone get excited over this team and roster. between the horrendous offense, the stupid special teams mistakes, the lack of tackling, the abundance of penalties its unwatchable.

beaumaris

Reaction score
game was unwatchable as will be for most of the regular season. i dont know how anyone get excited over this team and roster. between the horrendous offense, the stupid special teams mistakes, the lack of tackling, the abundance of penalties its unwatchable.
What,no QB mention ?:rolleyes:

WmHBonney

Reaction score
This
The basic fundamentals of football. It's the same old crap. And, these are the things that come down to lack of COACHING. You aren't winning in the NFL if you commit the number of penalties that they did last night. You aren't winning in the NFL if you don't tackle. You aren't winning in the NFL if your special teams look like a clown show. COACHING.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think Geno is peculiar in the sense that he sort of stalls when things don't get going right off the bat.

First few drives, he was doing pretty well and putting them in a position to really move the chains on third down, but for whatever reason, they came up short - like this drop from Swain.

That's an objectively very good throw in Geno's bread and butter, which is intermediate passing.

After this, they drove again and then got screwed by the Gabe Jackson hands to the face penalty on what would've been another successful conversion to Cade Johnson.

Another would-be conversion batted at the line, so not so much an objective team failure but also limited in what he could do. He had the slant open.

Those drives alone, and the solid effort on those third downs, were more promising than anything I got from Eason last night.

After those, he didn't do quite as well. Started misfiring. Not as bad as Eason's misfires, but a little behind here and there or a little too much mustard on the pass.

I think it's a different ballgame if Geno gets rolling on those first drives, and he put himself in a position to do so with what were clearly NFL-caliber throws.

I get those who absolutely hate the dude and will frame overall team failure as Geno's, but it's more than a little scapegoaty. He's never going to be a plus starter, but he's got an NFL arm and he was let down on several occasions by his supporting cast - moreso than he let his supporting cast down, in my opinion.

Horrific game in all three phases, especially special teams.

Happy to open myself to more troll responses that aren't going to even try to have an in-depth discussion about football (I.E. hurrrr Geno sucks hurrrr change profile pic). Just think the hyperbole is getting a little out of hand, and is exacerbated by overall dissatisfaction.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Geno has like 50 yards taken away right here by drops on two near-perfect passes...

He got let down more than he himself let others down. It's clear as day. I don't get how popular opinion on this is different. His drives didn't go anywhere because he got absolutely screwed on the majority of them.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Geno has like 50 yards taken away right here by drops on two near-perfect passes...

He got let down more than he himself let others down. It's clear as day. I don't get how popular opinion on this is different. His drives didn't go anywhere because he got absolutely screwed on the majority of them.

I admire you sticking to your defense of Geno but he is very much part of the problem. He has played 4 quarters of football (the most of any Seahawk QB) and he's mustered 0 tds passing and 1 rushing td. That's not enough scoring to win games in the NFL. He was horrendous on 3rd downs yesterday. His comp pct was 55.5%. He's had more opportunities than anyone at QB so far. Eason performed better than him and it was his first time of extended play. Geno had plenty of time last week and yesterday.

CPHawk

Reaction score
This
The basic fundamentals of football. It's the same old crap. And, these are the things that come down to lack of COACHING. You aren't winning in the NFL if you commit the number of penalties that they did last night. You aren't winning in the NFL if you don't tackle. You aren't winning in the NFL if your special teams look like a clown show. COACHING.
Yeah. It seems the last 3-4 years our tackling has been an issue early in the season. At some point, you would think Pete would fix the issue before week 5-6.

As for Geno. He was bad in NY, he was bad last year, why would he change now?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I'm no supporter of Geno but the penalties and drops really did hurt him last night. That said we know who he is at this point and having to go through an entire season with him at QB and not someone we drafted is a waste of an entire year imo.
Pete saying that Geno deserves a shot is absurd. The franchise and the fans owe him nothing and his play does not demand starts.
I am so frustrated by the decisions this F.O. has made. Poor desperate decision after poor desperate decision that have decimated this team of talent.
Having said that I am hopeful for this latest draft class but that seems to be the anomaly at this point not the rule. Pete lost his way and bad decisions have led to more bad decisions when it comes to roster construction here and now we have a complete and utter disaster season ahead of us.
This isn't, and never was, Russ's fault and I am also sure that he could see this and wanted out. I don't blame him.

rcaido

Reaction score
Yeah. It seems the last 3-4 years our tackling has been an issue early in the season. At some point, you would think Pete would fix the issue before week 5-6.

As for Geno. He was bad in NY, he was bad last year, why would he change now?
Because of the Jaguars game....He is a better fit then Wilson.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I admire you sticking to your defense of Geno but he is very much part of the problem. He has played 4 quarters of football (the most of any Seahawk QB) and he's mustered 0 tds passing and 1 rushing td. That's not enough scoring to win games in the NFL. He was horrendous on 3rd downs yesterday. His comp pct was 55.5%. He's had more opportunities than anyone at QB so far. Eason performed better than him and it was his first time of extended play. Geno had plenty of time last week and yesterday.
Eason absolutely didn't perform better than him, though, and that's using the same stats you just used for Geno. He was genuinely bad.

This isn't my defense. It's what happened, and I'm talking about his performance last night which goes from ineffective to suddenly quite good if he doesn't get screwed on several occasions.

keasley45

Reaction score

He's not defending anything. The play call worked. Indisputable. The ball was in the wrs hands. Indisputable. Not only were the passes good, the ones that were flat dropped were perfect.

So if the receiver drops a perfect, momentum carrying pass for a 3rd down conversion... or Geno hits another perfect pass that's negated by a penalty, or a 2nd or 3rd pass is dropped... right in the hands of the receiver, that's on Geno? The qb can only put the ball where it needs to go.

He had 3 off target passes and a throw away. The rest should have been caught or converted. That 13 for 17 and 14 for 18 if you count the penalty negating pass.

If you're qb is 26 for 34 passing every week, you're going to win games.

Where he struggled was, even on the crosser that Swain dropped, getting the ball there a little late.. catchable, but late.

Of all the things to pile on in this game, the qb was the least of the problems. Dropped passes, 3 drive killing penalties by your LT, over pursuing defense, garbage special teams play...