Give Me Your Playoff Five

rideaducati

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":339qbadu said:
rideaducati":339qbadu said:
I don't see how you can say that KC was "impressive", but the Bills are "not good" when both teams finished with the same record and Buffalo had a much tougher schedule last year. The Chiefs had one good year and in that year they didn't beat a single team that finished the year over .500. They have a tough schedule of AFC and NFC North opponents. KC is not making the playoffs. I think San Diego will take their place.
My feeling about the Chiefs vs the Bills was based on looking at DVOA over that period. Last year both teams finished 9-7. Buffalo had a 10.5 DVOA. KC had a 10.4 DVOA. But the year before Buffalo went 6-10 with a -3.3% dvoa while KC was 11-5 with a 17.5% dvoa.

KC has added some weapons, but what had Buffalo done? I see KC as being a more consistent team than Buffalo. Ultimately, the Bills will lose at KC and that gives the nod to the Chiefs IMO.

I suggest you take a closer look at the 2013 Chiefs. I'm sure most teams would have a pretty good DVOA against the schedule they had. I believe they played 6 teams that were playing with their backup QBs and they lost to every team they played that finished the year over .500. Sure, KC got some new receiving weapons, but I don't think deep threat wide receivers are going to help Alex Smith because Alex doesn't throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field.

Just looking at DVOA, I see the Bills improved A LOT while the Chiefs fell back a lot. KC had a tougher schedule last year than the year before and this year their schedule gets even tougher. I think that trend will continue for both teams.

Buffalo is just average QB play away from being a damn good team. They have weapons on both sides of the ball and a top defense.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
rideaducati":1ijurl8v said:
SalishHawkFan":1ijurl8v said:
rideaducati":1ijurl8v said:
I don't see how you can say that KC was "impressive", but the Bills are "not good" when both teams finished with the same record and Buffalo had a much tougher schedule last year. The Chiefs had one good year and in that year they didn't beat a single team that finished the year over .500. They have a tough schedule of AFC and NFC North opponents. KC is not making the playoffs. I think San Diego will take their place.
My feeling about the Chiefs vs the Bills was based on looking at DVOA over that period. Last year both teams finished 9-7. Buffalo had a 10.5 DVOA. KC had a 10.4 DVOA. But the year before Buffalo went 6-10 with a -3.3% dvoa while KC was 11-5 with a 17.5% dvoa.

KC has added some weapons, but what had Buffalo done? I see KC as being a more consistent team than Buffalo. Ultimately, the Bills will lose at KC and that gives the nod to the Chiefs IMO.

I suggest you take a closer look at the 2013 Chiefs. I'm sure most teams would have a pretty good DVOA against the schedule they had. I believe they played 6 teams that were playing with their backup QBs and they lost to every team they played that finished the year over .500. Sure, KC got some new receiving weapons, but I don't think deep threat wide receivers are going to help Alex Smith because Alex doesn't throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field.

Just looking at DVOA, I see the Bills improved A LOT while the Chiefs fell back a lot. KC had a tougher schedule last year than the year before and this year their schedule gets even tougher. I think that trend will continue for both teams.

Buffalo is just average QB play away from being a damn good team. They have weapons on both sides of the ball and a top defense.
I figure at the end of the year there will be surprises and no one will look like Nostradamus except one guy who made some lucky guesses and gets bragging rights. It's all in fun to break the monotony of the boring offseason. I don't take these things too seriously.

rideaducati

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":csrce69g said:
rideaducati":csrce69g said:
SalishHawkFan":csrce69g said:
rideaducati":csrce69g said:

I figure at the end of the year there will be surprises and no one will look like Nostradamus except one guy who made some lucky guesses and gets bragging rights. It's all in fun to break the monotony of the boring offseason. I don't take these things too seriously.

I know there will be surprises. I don't take these things too seriously either, I'm just enjoying the back and forth banter.

ptisme

Reaction score
NFC..........................................................AFC
1. Green Bay.......................................1. Indianapolis
2. Seattle.............................................2. Denver
3. Dallas..............................................3. Cincinnati
4. Carolina...........................................4. New England
5. Arizona ..........................................5. Baltimore
6. Minnesota.......................................6. Oakland

Ramfan128

Reaction score
ptisme":2mihv443 said:

So you think there will only be one new playoff team in each conference? And both those newcomers will be the #6 seeds? No way.

The AFC might only have one new playoff team, but the NFC will have 3 or 4.

AFC: Broncos, Colts, Ravens, Patriots, Steelers - I have a hard time seeing any of these teams not making it. My 6th team is the Dolphins.

NFC: Packers, Saints, Seahawks, Cowboys, Rams, Vikings

Two things that I think could happen, but I'm not ballsy enough to actually predict, are that Rodgers goes down for multiple games (seems to happen every few years), and the Patriots get off to a slow start and ultimately miss the playoffs. In those scenarios I would replace the Pats with the Dolphins as AFCE champs, and the Chargers as a wildcard; in the Rodgers scenario I would replace GB with Minnesota as the NFCN champs, and the Panthers as a wild card.

raisethe3

Reaction score
I think it will turn out like this:

1. Seattle.......................................1. Indianapolis
2. Green Bay.............................................2. Denver
3. Philadelphia..............................................3. Cincinnati
4. Atlanta...........................................4. New England
6. Detroit.......................................6. Buffalo

ptisme

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2k4hdnr4 said:
ptisme":2k4hdnr4 said:

So you think there will only be one new playoff team in each conference? And both those newcomers will be the #6 seeds? No way.

AFC: Broncos, Colts, Ravens, Patriots, Steelers - I have a hard time seeing any of these teams not making it. My 6th team is the Dolphins.

Two things that I think could happen, but I'm not ballsy enough to actually predict, are that Rodgers goes down for multiple games (seems to happen every few years), and the Patriots get off to a slow start and ultimately miss the playoffs. In those scenarios I would replace the Pats with the Dolphins as AFCE champs, and the Chargers as a wildcard; in the Rodgers scenario I would replace GB with Minnesota as the NFCN champs, and the Panthers as a wild card.
You have no idea more than anybody else does....

Ramfan128

Reaction score
ptisme":3boc3ryn said:
Ramfan128":3boc3ryn said:
ptisme":3boc3ryn said:

You have no idea more than anybody else does....

True...but the whole premise of the thread is that roughly 1/3 of playoff teams from a year ago won't be there next year. It happens every year. Your scenario just seems more unlikely than most considering that.

Truth be told, it's very hard to see my Rams making the playoffs. But, they're a pretty good candidate to be one of the newcomers if you're kicking some teams out from last year.

Take 2013 as an example - Saints, Eagles, Niners all made the playoffs. Heading into 2014, most of the talking heads and just about all of the fans of those teams were thinking superbowl was a possibility......and then they didn't even make the playoffs last year. Who will those 3 be this year in the NFC? Odds are it's going to happen.

ptisme

Reaction score
The Rams will have to show me something at quarterback before I get on that bandwagon

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
NFC:
1. Seattle
2. Green Bay
3. New Orleans
4. Dallas
5. Minnesota
6. St. Louis

AFC:
1. Indianapolis
2. Denver
3. Baltimore
4. New England
5. Buffalo
6. Pittsburgh

ctrcat":3upkmglr said:
For those putting the Saints IN, please read Grantland/Barnwell today. They've won one division title since their stained 2009 season and if this doesn't reek circling the toilet bowl I don't know what to tell you. http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-i ... w-orleans/

Yeah, more playoff appearances and playoff wins after that season, than Carolina in the same timespan.

Fig Newton's numbers have decreased at a steady rate after his rookie season!

rideaducati

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":1iuaakaj said:
NFC:
1. Seattle
2. Green Bay
3. New Orleans
4. Dallas
5. Minnesota
6. St. Louis

AFC:
1. Indianapolis
2. Denver
3. Baltimore
4. New England
5. Buffalo
6. Pittsburgh

ctrcat":1iuaakaj said:
For those putting the Saints IN, please read Grantland/Barnwell today. They've won one division title since their stained 2009 season and if this doesn't reek circling the toilet bowl I don't know what to tell you. http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-i ... w-orleans/

Yeah, more playoff appearances and playoff wins after that season, than Carolina in the same timespan.

Newton's entire wide receiving corps was sent packing. I'm sure that had a little bit to do with it. Let's see how Brees does without his security blanket this year. Maybe Brees won't throw picks into triple coverage this year trying to get it to his TE.

ctrcat

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":17f16rnr said:
NFC:
1. Seattle
2. Green Bay
3. New Orleans
4. Dallas
5. Minnesota
6. St. Louis

AFC:
1. Indianapolis
2. Denver
3. Baltimore
4. New England
5. Buffalo
6. Pittsburgh

ctrcat":17f16rnr said:

Then why does he keep kicking your @$$? He's now healthier than ever and should have improved weapons and protection. Doesn't look good in the Big Easy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 841

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
rideaducati":2b10dr0a said:
BlackandGolden":2b10dr0a said:
NFC:
1. Seattle
2. Green Bay
3. New Orleans
4. Dallas
5. Minnesota
6. St. Louis

AFC:
1. Indianapolis
2. Denver
3. Baltimore
4. New England
5. Buffalo
6. Pittsburgh

ctrcat":2b10dr0a said:

Newton's entire wide receiving corps was sent packing. I'm sure that had a little bit to do with it. Let's see how Brees does without his security blanket this year. Maybe Brees won't throw picks into triple coverage this year trying to get it to his TE.

Maybe not, since his best season was without Graham or any featured target.

Graham is a class act, so I'd still pull for him to do well in Seattle.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
If there is ever a year for a team other than the Pats to win the AFC East, this is it:

- Brady is suspeneded the first four games of the season.
- The Pats are worst than last year. Losing a lot of key defensive players.
- Everyone else in the AFC East has gotten significantly better.

I can't bet against the Pats, but I think this could be the year. The AFC East will be a bit like the NFC West of past years.....a slugfest. A lot of great defenses in that division.

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
ctrcat":wbgkkzwq said:
BlackandGolden":wbgkkzwq said:
NFC:
1. Seattle
2. Green Bay
3. New Orleans
4. Dallas
5. Minnesota
6. St. Louis

AFC:
1. Indianapolis
2. Denver
3. Baltimore
4. New England
5. Buffalo
6. Pittsburgh

ctrcat":wbgkkzwq said:

Then why does he keep kicking your @$$? He's now healthier than ever and should have improved weapons and protection. Doesn't look good in the Big Easy.

Ah, that's a good laugh. Opponents think this is insulting but I disagree. Those bags goes to show whether we're 1-15 or 13-3, at least the fans still come to the games. We've had a not so good season, and I'm still on the lengthy waiting list for Saints tickets.

4-4 against us is competitive, but not dominating. We're coming.

NINEster

Reaction score
Maulbert":kod5yyg1 said:
rideaducati":kod5yyg1 said:
SalishHawkFan":kod5yyg1 said:
Looking at every playoff team the past three seasons, this is what I am guessing:
Seattle has been #1 DVOA three years running. Not sustainable, but they're making the playoffs.
Denver has been right on Seattles heels all three years. They're going to the playoffs.
Carolina had one good season squeezed between two poor ones. They're gone.
Dallas just had its fluke good year. They're gone.
Baltimore was back in after one off year. They're going to make the playoffs.
Arizona was crap 2012. Was 10th, but not great 2013. Was crap 2014 even before losing Palmer. They are not going to the playoffs.
Detroit barely had crawled out of mediocrity when they lost Suh. No playoffs.
Pittsburgh squeaked out three more wins than their previous two years. They had an easy schedule. No playoffs for them.
Cincinatti, winning records three years straight. Meh DVOA. I think this is the year they miss the playoffs.
Indy In that division? Playoffs.
New England We're so used to the Pats making the playoffs, but I think this becomes a down year for them. Haha, in that division? Playoffs.
Green Bay These guys are like the Terminator. They'll be back.

Who's new? well let's see, I've got six teams not making it. Buffalo is always supposed to be good and they always are not good. Did they get a QB? Nope.
Miami has a QB and Suh. They've been steadily improving in small baby steps. This is their year.
KC was the worst team three years back, but was impressive the last two years. They'll be back in the playoffs.
Philly hasn't shown they can take the next step, but they have been consistent. They should squeak in from the NFC Least.
New Orleans has Brees. Somebody has to win that division and I think Atlanta's one great year was a fluke.
Everyone seems to think this is the Vikings year. I guess I'll jump on their bandwagon for no good reason.
And because every year they seem like they've got to be able to win, but every year they are the best team per DVOA with a losing record in the NFL, I'm going with the St. Louis Rams to make the playoffs right before they skip town to L.A. It's my upset special.

NFC...............................................AFC
2. Green Bay.................................2. San Diego
3. Carolina.....................................3. Baltimore
4. Dallas.........................................4. Buffalo
5. Minnesota...................................5. New England
6. Philadelphia................................6. Miami

I guess that would put the Cards and Lions out in the NFC and the Broncos, Bengals and Stealers out of the AFC.

Plus, KC lost to both Oakland and Tennessee. Who would define that as 'impressive'?

But which team beat Seattle and New England last year?

rideaducati

Reaction score
NINEster":1whw1nkl said:
Maulbert":1whw1nkl said:
rideaducati":1whw1nkl said:

NFC...............................................AFC
2. Green Bay.................................2. San Diego
3. Carolina.....................................3. Baltimore
4. Dallas.........................................4. Buffalo
5. Minnesota...................................5. New England
6. Philadelphia................................6. Miami

I guess that would put the Cards and Lions out in the NFC and the Broncos, Bengals and Stealers out of the AFC.

Plus, KC lost to both Oakland and Tennessee. Who would define that as 'impressive'?

The same one that lost to Oakland and Tennessee? Hell, the rams pulled the same feat the year before and do you know what both of those teams have in common? INCONSISTENCY and neither made the playoffs.

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
Maulbert":1yt48ibr said:
A Saints fan and a Panthers fan talking smack to each other on a Seahawks forum. Hmmm. :snack:

Lol. Didn't really expect to run into an NFC South opponent on a Seahawk forum. Stuff happens, I guess.

Rex

Reaction score
rideaducati":1f7hl21o said:
NINEster":1f7hl21o said:
[

The same one that lost to Oakland and Tennessee? Hell, the rams pulled the same feat the year before and do you know what both of those teams have in common? INCONSISTENCY and neither made the playoffs.

Nonsense. The Rams have been very consistent since 2004. :34853_doh: