GOAT Seahawks Quarterback

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2988tqex said:
Russell Wilson is a legitimate top QB who probably will easily end up in the Hall of Fame. He is so next level compared to everybody else mentioned it's not even a rational statement to declare otherwise. I think his worst season is better than any other Seahawks QB's best season. That's how far apart he is from everybody else.

Hasselbeck was a good QB. He wasn't great, but he was good. Krieg was good at times. He was also streaky as hell and a turnover machine, even for his day. He could blow the doors off or just completely suck. Hasselbeck and Krieg were pretty steady presences for the team for a long time and had a bit of playoff success, something very much missing for quite awhile between their tenures. I'd consider them to be the second tier of Seahawks QBs that were here for awhile.

Zorn threw for 53%, and had two seasons where he barely threw more TDs than INTs (107 TDs to 133 INTs for this team). I get why people love him so much, but he wasn't a good QB. He wasn't as bad as some of the dudes that followed Krieg for awhile, but that doesn't make him good. He's not even Hasselbeck/Krieg level.

This is helpful perspective.

We will compare the next several QBs to Russ, who has now raised the bar significantly. A Matt Hasselbeck-like QB would certainly feel like a significant downgrade, and only a top-3 QB will feel like we're in a better situation.

Back in the mid-2000-ones, if Seneca Wallace came in, I wasn't near as confident as when Matt was playing. And even then, MH could really throw some head-scratchers.

Russ has done more (sometimes with with less, especially on the O-line) than any QB the Hawks have had since franchise start in 1976.

Chapow

Reaction score
glowingeyedseahawk":7zlpxiiu said:
v1rotv2":7zlpxiiu said:
We went to two Super Bowls with Russ and won one. Yeah, Russ is the top dog.

So stats and how he finishes in a Seahawks uniform no longer matter........
When it's all said and done, It's all about the Super Bowl appearances ? :snack:

Of course stats matter. That's one of the main reasons most consider Russ to be the best QB in the history of the Seahawks franchise. Because he already has better stats than any of them (with the Seahawks) and still has has a long ways to go before he's done.

What do you mean "how he finishes in a Seahawks uniform"? How did Hass, Krieg, and Zorn finish in a Seahawks uniform? I'm not remembering any of those guys having particularly great seasons in their final season with the Seahawks.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Chapow":9eq6m9x0 said:
glowingeyedseahawk":9eq6m9x0 said:
v1rotv2":9eq6m9x0 said:

When it's all said and done, It's all about the Super Bowl appearances ? :snack:

Of course stats matter. That's one of the main reasons most consider Russ to be the best QB in the history of the Seahawks franchise. Because he already has better stats than any of them (with the Seahawks) and still has has a long ways to go before he's done.

What do you mean "how he finishes in a Seahawks uniform"? How did Hass, Krieg, and Zorn finish in a Seahawks uniform? I'm not remembering any of those guys having particularly great seasons in their final season with the Seahawks.

I hope he doesn't leave town--if he does--like Earl Thomas, with bad blood between himself and the FO/Team. How he finishes his time in Seattle will certainly color his legacy.

But even if he did leave on bad terms, his performance already has made him the best we've ever had at QB. Any potential decline in his play from here on out couldn't take away from his accomplishments.

He's the Seahawks' GOAT QB.

BASF

Reaction score
The horrible part of this post is that we should have had Brett Favre and Warren Moon. Such poor front offices back then.

Wilson was the best Seahawks QB the moment he put on the uniform. I loved each of the other QBs who lasted more than three years as the Seahawks starter, but none of them had three quarters of the talent Wilson has. It is very difficult to judge numbers as the game has been so slanted to passing stats it isn't even funny. Imagine Wilson trying to throw into the tiny windows back when we faced Haynes/Hayes, Gil Byrd, Wright/Harden and Albert Lewis. Even with those caveats, there are only seven seasons from Hass/Krieg that are comparable to what Wilson has done numbers wise.

Tical21

Reaction score
To me, Russ has to make it past the divisional round without the LOB to be considered the goat.

Fade

Reaction score
BASF":1ydxt81w said:
The horrible part of this post is that we should have had Brett Favre and Warren Moon. Such poor front offices back then.

Wilson was the best Seahawks QB the moment he put on the uniform. I loved each of the other QBs who lasted more than three years as the Seahawks starter, but none of them had three quarters of the talent Wilson has. It is very difficult to judge numbers as the game has been so slanted to passing stats it isn't even funny. Imagine Wilson trying to throw into the tiny windows back when we faced Haynes/Hayes, Gil Byrd, Wright/Harden and Albert Lewis. Even with those caveats, there are only seven seasons from Hass/Krieg that are comparable to what Wilson has done numbers wise.

Too add on to this:

Hass/Krieg have never run for the numbers Wilson has. So Hass/Krieg have never had comparable numbers.

Lamar Jackson if he stays healthy will be the most prolific rusher from the QB spot in NFL history.

Wilson will be number 2 behind Lamar in career rushing yards when it is all said and done. Unless Lamar gets hurt, then Wilson will be #1. Russ currently stands at 4th all-time with 4500 career rushing yards. Vick is #1 with 6,100 yds.
Russ is going to what he did last year if not more being in this new bootleg/rollout system, and having slimmed down. That will take him to 5,000 yards rushing in his career.

The Hass & Krieg comparisons even though I love those guys is absolutely laughable. Wilson is magnitudes better. I never saw Hass or Krieg drag a team with only 1 other pro-bowler kicking and screaming to the playoffs (2018). Wilson has.

Or lead there teams in rushing and the league in TDs, while acounting for 97% of his teams TDs, Wilson has (2017). Hass/Krieg needed a ton of help to win games, they would've died having to carry dead bodies over the finish line like Wilson has had to do since 2016.

Now it's 2021 they finally got him a real OC, Weapons, and a descent O-Line, I expect big things this year, and next. (As long as they have a good LT, of course. They mess that up, then all bets are off.)

John63

Reaction score
Chapow":1lek64z7 said:
glowingeyedseahawk":1lek64z7 said:
v1rotv2":1lek64z7 said:

They were not, its just another attempt to put unrealistic requirements on Wilson that no other Seahawks Qb had.

Jac

Reaction score
John63":1yho4s7r said:
Jac":1yho4s7r said:
Wilson should pass Hasselbeck and Krieg in career passing yards this season. He's already ahead in career touchdowns. His career stats should end up dwarfing both. That being said, I have a soft spot for Krieg because he was the team's quarterback when I first became a fan as a kid.

He already passed them in yards

Wilson is first in yards, Complt%, Tds, Qb rating, and Of the Qbs with 100 tds or 2000 attempts he has the least Ints, in mos tof these it is not even close

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/seattle-seahawks/leaders/career-passing-yards

True, I should have been looking at Seahawk career stats in this case, not career stats.

Jac

Reaction score
BASF":h4jr83p8 said:

What if Nordstrom ignored Paul Brown and hired Bill Walsh. Maybe we would have had Joe Montana, and the 80's dynasty would have been ours. Admittedly more degrees of separation than Favre and Moon, who were truly just a final trigger pull away on personnel decisions fundamentally already made.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Tical21":1hpyskm0 said:
To me, Russ has to make it past the divisional round without the LOB to be considered the goat.

That's why no one's ever asked you

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
#1 is Wilson.

The rest are JAG's but we feel they are more than that because the franchise didn't sustain success until Wilson. I'm sure the Hasselbeck lovers will be upset but the truth hurts sometimes.

Chapow

Reaction score
Tical21":1tgaq14c said:

Let's just say for the sake of argument that he never does. Who would be the Seahawks GOAT QB in your opinion and what would your argument be considering that Russ already has better stats than any other Seahawks QB ever and will most likely be far, far ahead by the time he's done? Oh, and as Fade pointed out, there's that whole pesky rushing stats thing to consider too. The one where no other Seahawks QB ever is even in the same galaxy as Russ.

And since you want to use the LOB argument against Russ, I have to wonder how Hass would have done without Jones and Hutch, and a starting RB that averaged over 1500 yards and almost 20 TD's a year for 5 straight years? Of course, we'll never know, but do you know what he did do with that 3 headed monster that resulted in one of greatest half decades a RB has ever had in the history of the NFL? He went 2-3 in the playoffs during that stretch and won exactly 0 playoff games in 4 of those 5 years.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Tical21":3qx1okme said:

The LOB was in place before Russell Wilson became a Seahawk. What did they do in the playoffs pre-Wilson?

John63

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":k2mehbed said:
Tical21":k2mehbed said:

The LOB was in place before Russell Wilson became a Seahawk. What did they do in the playoffs pre-Wilson?

lets go over that
2013 Wilson gives the Hawks a lead with under 30 seconds and the LOB blows it
2014 SB win
2015 double-digit lead with 8 minutes to go and could not hold it

Also keep in mind almost 70% of the cap was on defense at that time

Fade

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3j2n2yeh said:
Tical21":3j2n2yeh said:

They went 7-9, missed the playoffs w/Beast Mode in his prime, and the #1 scoring defense in the NFL.

Tical21

Reaction score
Fade":1kw13q4p said:
oldhawkfan":1kw13q4p said:
Tical21":1kw13q4p said:

They went 7-9, missed the playoffs w/Beast Mode in his prime, and the #1 scoring defense in the NFL.
This is such disingenuous drivel. Missing the playoffs amid roster turnover and a team made primarily of rookies on defense with a QB with a torn pec is what you're going to hang your hat on? Nice.

Fact is we have turned this team over to Russell Wilson. For seven years now. And since he got paid we have zero to show for it. Just exactly like I said would happen the moment we paid a QB that can't read defenses top dollar. Funny how that works.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Tical21":ii4xbgth said:
Fade":ii4xbgth said:
oldhawkfan":ii4xbgth said:
Tical21":ii4xbgth said:

This is such disingenuous drivel. Missing the playoffs amid roster turnover and a team made primarily of rookies on defense with a QB with a torn pec is what you're going to hang your hat on? Nice.

Fact is we have turned this team over to Russell Wilson. For seven years now. And since he got paid we have zero to show for it. Just exactly like I said would happen the moment we paid a QB that can't read defenses top dollar. Funny how that works.

This is a shit take, and you know it. No team is a one man show. Hasslebeck didn't get us to Super Bowl XL by himself.

John63

Reaction score
Tical21":3i822kls said:
Fade":3i822kls said:
oldhawkfan":3i822kls said:

zero to show for it, ahh we have the longest streak of playoff appearances in franchise history. Also 7 years its been his team that means we turned it over to him in 2013 really are you just trying to be silly. Now you mentioned paid

7 years ago Wilson was still on his rookie contract His first extension was 2015 which is 6 years ago.

As to funny how that works whats funny is you really think anything you say right, cant read defenses, and yet he is considered really good at it my actual experts. Nothing to show for it yet and greatest period of playoff appearance sin team history.

I know you hate the guy and want to pile on him but at least try to come up with something real not this disingenuous drivel, not that I will hold my breath

BASF

Reaction score
Fade":3bh9q6uw said:
oldhawkfan":3bh9q6uw said:
Tical21":3bh9q6uw said:

They were actually seventh in points that season.

Latest posts