GOAT Seahawks Quarterback

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
IndyHawk":chcnu41y said:
RW's forte was to use legs and throw an awesome deep ball..I can't remember
quick outs or slants..I sure don't remember very many passes down the middle.
Any variation of the passes that he doesn't do much of have resulted in pick 6's.
Why after 10 yrs he never fixed the weak areas of his game is a head scratcher.
GOAT?A tie at best with #17 and Hass.I say this in regards to the many rule
changes and the baby carrying of QB's today that make the game easy for good
QB's.Hass or Mudbone win those two SB's with that defense and running game.

I think if someone asked either Dave Krieg and/or Matt Hasselbeck the answer to the Seahawks Greatest QB ever would easily be Russell Wilson. Hatred for a certain player should not cloud one’s judgement to their greatness. I can’t stand Tom Brady but I at least acknowledge his greatness. SMH!!

Vesuve

Reaction score
glowingeyedseahawk":1pthi2n3 said:
My question to all of you is (?)

At what point in his career does Russ become the Seahawks "greatest" quarterback ?
Is he already there ?

Russ is already there....2 SBs....including his actual play at the end of games in general.

Must he finish his career in Seattle ?

No....because he's already there.

Does he need another ring ?

No, he doesn't.....but WE want one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
This would be like having a 10 page thread on who the greatest left tackle is in Seahawks history.

The more interesting debate at some point becomes ... who is the greatest Seahawks player of all time. If Russ isn't there yet, he likely will be.

BASF

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":38sbumrk said:
This would be like having a 10 page thread on who the greatest left tackle is in Seahawks history.

The more interesting debate at some point becomes ... who is the greatest Seahawks player of all time. If Russ isn't there yet, he likely will be.

I will jump in this one and say Wilson isn't even close in this category. Wilson will never be considered the best QB of his era. There have been at least two better QBs every season that Wilson has played.

Largent was the best receiver of his era. The few guys who had better numbers than him were playing with Hall of Fame QBs in fairly new offensive systems that would become the basis of offenses for decades afterward. Meanwhile Largent was saddled with lackluster rosters until Knox arrived. Then it was three yards and a cloud of dust taking away opportunities.

Tez is a little difficult to say he was better than Sapp or not. Sapp played the three pretty exclusively and had better talent around him. Sapp was easily better at getting to the passer, but Tez was much better against the run. It is easy to say that Tez was more rounded a player, so maybe 1A and 1B.

The actual greatest Seahawks player is Walter Jones. Pace and Ogden were both great left tackles, but Jones was better than both of them. Many tried to say that Jones had the advantage of playing next to Hutchinson, but when Hutch left, his play did not drop off. The only left tackle I watched who played as well as Jones was Muñoz and would still put him behind Jones in overall play.

John63

Reaction score
BASF":zw3a1tb6 said:
Hawkstorian":zw3a1tb6 said:

I will jump in this one and say Wilson isn't even close in this category. Wilson will never be considered the best QB of his era. There have been at least two better QBs every season that Wilson has played.

Largent was the best receiver of his era. The few guys who had better numbers than him were playing with Hall of Fame QBs in fairly new offensive systems that would become the basis of offenses for decades afterward. Meanwhile Largent was saddled with lackluster rosters until Knox arrived. Then it was three yards and a cloud of dust taking away opportunities.

Tez is a little difficult to say he was better than Sapp or not. Sapp played the three pretty exclusively and had better talent around him. Sapp was easily better at getting to the passer, but Tez was much better against the run. It is easy to say that Tez was more rounded a player, so maybe 1A and 1B.

The actual greatest Seahawks player is Walter Jones. Pace and Ogden were both great left tackles, but Jones was better than both of them. Many tried to say that Jones had the advantage of playing next to Hutchinson, but when Hutch left, his play did not drop off. The only left tackle I watched who played as well as Jones was Muñoz and would still put him behind Jones in overall play.

great except you are not on topic we are talking QB GOAT of the Seahawks, in others words the best Seahawks Qb ever. All your stuff is off-topic and a bad attempt to not admit the obvious. You don't have to be the best of your era to be the best your team ever had. so your whole post is just off-topic. This is not about the greatest Seahawks' player it is about the greatest Seahawks QB. Perhaps you should reread the question. Or perhaps you did this on purpose, so you did not have to admit the obvious Wilson is the best b the Seahawks has had.

BASF

Reaction score
John63":n9rztxp8 said:
BASF":n9rztxp8 said:
Hawkstorian":n9rztxp8 said:

great except you are not on topic we are talking QB GOAT of the Seahawks, in others words the best Seahawks Qb ever. All your stuff is off-topic and a bad attempt to not admit the obvious. You don't have to be the best of your era to be the best your team ever had. so your whole post is just off-topic. This is not about the greatest Seahawks' player it is about the greatest Seahawks QB. Perhaps you should reread the question. Or perhaps you did this on purpose, so you did not have to admit the obvious Wilson is the best b the Seahawks has had.

Your intellectual dishonesty is amazing to behold. Click back to page one John.

John63

Reaction score
Hawkstorian said:

The more interesting debate at some point becomes ... who is the greatest Seahawks player of all time. If Russ isn't there yet, he likely will be.[/quoted]

Start a thread on that.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Maulbert":1f8vo264 said:
fenderbender123":1f8vo264 said:
I just wanted to let everyone know that there's a thread in the shack related to this topic, too.

No, there isn't. You were bashing Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck was a good QB. Just because Wilson is fundamentally better doesn't make Hass bad. You lack nuance.

I never once said Hass was a bad quarterback. Go visit the thread and read it sometime.

schkoot

Reaction score
I'll go Wilson, then Krieg, then Hass. Krieg got the cord pulled too early and we all know Behring was actively sabotaging the team in order to move.

The question for me is: Who are the best 3 QBs NOT in the normal conversations. I'll take a flyer and say Moon, Kitna, and Dilfer.

m0ng0

Reaction score
We have not been blessed with excellent QB play over the existence of the team. Zorn will always be my favorite but that's just sentimental. Without a doubt RW is the best we have ever had here. Am I glad he is gone? YES! I just think things had run it's course. Neither side wanted to listen anymore.

keasley45

Reaction score
Warren Moon was the best qb we ever had. Hands down. It's just that he was here for such a short period. But in terms of ability? The dude is in the HOF and it's not like he was at all bad when he was here - not a F Harris comp.

But best to do it over multiple seasons? Russ*

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Anyone actually debating that Russ isn't the best QB in team history is either an idiot or a racist. Sometimes both. Wilson is #1 in every stat category except fumbles, picks, and losses. He's the best. Period.
Except in one year Geno beat him in passing yards in a season. In the three games of fill in in 2021, Geno's numbers were consistent with last year, and on par with Wilson's. Maybe we have something special in a late blooming Geno too? Would obviously require a few years of repeating that performance, but I think it may be entirely possible.

Yes Russ was best, but considering the other elements he had that others did not, not by as wide a margin as many think.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

toffee

Reaction score
While I do think that Wilson's the best in Hawks history, but, are we sure that a prime Hasselbeck, or Zorn, or Kreig couldn't get it done with 2013 and 2014 defense and Marshawn?

Maulbert

Reaction score
Except in one year Geno beat him in passing yards in a season. In the three games of fill in in 2021, Geno's numbers were consistent with last year, and on par with Wilson's. Maybe we have something special in a late blooming Geno too? Would obviously require a few years of repeating that performance, but I think it may be entirely possible.

Yes Russ was best, but considering the other elements he had that others did not, not by as wide a margin as many think.
Maybe notice the date I posted that. August 10, 2021. Almost 2 years ago.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
While I do think that Wilson's the best in Hawks history, but, are we sure that a prime Hasselbeck, or Zorn, or Kreig couldn't get it done with 2013 and 2014 defense and Marshawn?

Maybe, but how does that make them the GOAT?

Russ isn't the GOAT just because he won a SB, as I said use any metric you want and he's still #1, even without the SB ring. All the ring does is remove any debate about it.

Favorite isn't the same as greatest. My favorite is Zorn, but I still acknowledge Russ as the greatest.

Latest posts