GOAT Seahawks Quarterback

Hawk4life

Reaction score
Anyone actually debating that Russ isn't the best QB in team history is either an idiot or a racist. Sometimes both. Wilson is #1 in every stat category except fumbles, picks, and losses. He's the best. Period.
Oh no! The dreaded R bomb was dropped, does that mean content of character is officially off the table? Nice try but NAH.

Despite RW's impressive work on maintaining his image, Matt is a proven "Good Guy" and a far better role model for kids. And for future reference, real Americans don't care about race when it comes to character. I'd take Hass over them all, win or lose. Matt was the closest to what you want from a franchise QB that Seattle has ever had. He wasn't very good at running and evading, but that didn't limit him in his role.

I'm grateful for RW, he was the perfect QB for a team without an offensive line and he went way beyond all of my expectations. But reality is, he wasn't good enough to win without Marshawn and the LOB. He is one dimensional because of his height, there is no point it pretending that this isn't true.

Last edited:

Torc

Reaction score
While I do think that Wilson's the best in Hawks history, but, are we sure that a prime Hasselbeck, or Zorn, or Kreig couldn't get it done with 2013 and 2014 defense and Marshawn?
I'm fairly certain that Matt Flynn would have won the super bowl with that defense and Marshawn Lynch running the ball. Heck, Seneca Wallace might have done it. But not Dan McGwire. :p

To me the other way to phrase the question is, if you could pick any Seahawk QB from history and stick them on this 2023 team in his prime, who would you pick? I think I might have to lean heavily towards Moon. (And @Maulbert ......you'll have to explain how it's racist to prefer a black QB over another black QB.)

Hawk4life

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that Matt Flynn would have won the super bowl with that defense and Marshawn Lynch running the ball. Heck, Seneca Wallace might have done it. But not Dan McGwire. :p

To me the other way to phrase the question is, if you could pick any Seahawk QB from history and stick them on this 2023 team in his prime, who would you pick? I think I might have to lean heavily towards Moon. (And @Maulbert ......you'll have to explain how it's racist to prefer a black QB over another black QB.)
I'll help, the answer is when one is not black enough. But I think Warren wins that battle too.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Rumple Wilson III, Hasselbeck, Jon Ryan.

Geno has the ability and drive to be better ie win more than one championship. Lets see.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I ju
Rumple Wilson III, Hasselbeck, Jon Ryan.

Geno has the ability and drive to be better ie win more than one championship. Lets see.
I watched Geno Highlights in the three 2021 games he started in. He really played a solid game in all of them, but REALLY good against the Jags, and almost good enough to beat the Stealers. There were no real bad decisions in those games either. Bad O-Line play and poor tackling. He really showed a lot of promise in 2021, his QB rating for the three and a half games was over 100 and nearly identical to Russ.

He also as I mentioned earlier earned single season Seahawks passing record for yards last year. It's really possible e could earn a place in the conversation, if the Defense has improved enough. Now with a first round receiver to throw to as well. I have high hopes!

Maulbert

Reaction score

AGAIN, my post was from AUGUST 10TH, 2021. Almost 2 years ago. And the argument is ALWAYS Kreig vs. Hasselbeck vs. Wilson.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Emotionally… have to go with Mudbone. He just brings back memories and childhood when I was cutting pubic hair and wisdom teeth and the franchise was trying to turn into something.

Matthew holds another special place…

But, I have to admit Russ has the advantage and that kills me seeing him now… shit my screen name has his name in it. Ugh.

Torc

Reaction score
AGAIN, my post was from AUGUST 10TH, 2021. Almost 2 years ago. And the argument is ALWAYS Kreig vs. Hasselbeck vs. Wilson.
My bad. These zombie threads can be nasty.

I hope to resurrect this thread yet again in two or three years and exclaim that it isn't racist to think that Geno is better than Russ. :p

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think Mudbone would get much more consideration if not for his excessively slippery hands.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I dont think there is much question that Russ is #1. After that I can see the debates.

Personally I go, as far as performance:

Wilson
Hass
Krieg
Zorn.

Influence..

Wilson
Zorn
Hass
Krieg..maybe?

Its nearly 40 years on and there are Zorn jerseys in the stands (not just me!), interest when he is named coach of the local team, etc. His charisma just has attached itself to the city in a huge way. If you think about the fact he wasnt a Pro Bowler, never started a playoff game.. its remarkable how well loved he still is. But his brand of football was contagious.

Hass is well loved and QBed to the Super Bowl and was personable.

Krieg first brought the Seahawks to the play offs and his on days were super on.. but partially because he replaced Zorn, I dont have the feeling that he really ingratiated himself as deep with the fans.
I LOVED Zorn. He was the first. Zorn to Largent is forever etched in my mind. Having said that, on performance Wilson gets the nod.

My list is Wilson, Hass, Krieg and Zorn.

However I will ALWAYS be Horny for Zorny. 🤣

chrispy

Reaction score
Couple thoughts...

The question was asked, "Who would you want on the '23 team?" I'd pick Geno. I really think he's the exact right guy at the exact right time.

Here's another question: What would Geno need to accomplish before retiring a Seahawk to beat out RCW as greatest in franchise history?

rcaido

Reaction score
Couple thoughts...

The question was asked, "Who would you want on the '23 team?" I'd pick Geno. I really think he's the exact right guy at the exact right time.

Here's another question: What would Geno need to accomplish before retiring a Seahawk to beat out RCW as greatest in franchise history?
Have equal or better stats and 1 superbowl.
His record is currently 10-10.

If first half Geno shows up this season, he has a chance to match Russell stats. He balled out last season.

keasley45

Reaction score
Couple thoughts...

Geno for '23, '22, '21, '20, '19. If we had Geno in 2020, God knows how far we'dve gone, if you look at the potential we had that year and why we ended up faltering...

I think there's a danger in getting into a statistical debate here.

Would Russ have succeeded under Knox? No way.

Woukd he have succeeded under Holmgren? Not in a million years.

Did Russ work in Denver. Obviously not.

Will he work under Payton? I thunk he'll be better than last year but don't think he'll be Paytons qb in 24.

Why? Because Pete allowed Russ to be who he his, and was willing to sacrifice team play and the potential of an offense when all 11 guys are working together, to see how far we could go if Russ just played his way and Pete worked around it.

His deep ball percentage is through the roof because he threw them at a rate few other qbs did. He did that because he was allowed to not run the play called. Defenses couldn't account for it and often the only guy on offense other than Russ who could was Tyler or Doug.

His completion numbers are high because he held the ball until he was comfortable letting it go. Not when it was supposed to hit the receiver. Had he thrown the ball in time the way Knox, Holmgren, Hackett, or Payton would have (will) demand, he's simply not the same player.

His td to int numbers are high for a combination of the above reasons.

But ask him to play in any other system but Pete's... no Bueno.

Hass played in Seattle, Tennessee and Indy and started in two towns.

Kreig played in 5 and started at some point everywhere he went.

Both in their prime could have played in Seattle in a manner akin to what Geno did last year and been successful with Pete during his time here. What i mean by that is xs and os qb'ing.

So could Rodgers, Allen, Mahomes, , etc.

Could Russ have outperformed them on their respective teams playing the qb position as its supposed to be played, executing the play, reading the D, maximizing thr potential of all 11 guys?

No way.

Doesn't mean he isn't great. He was great at what he did from that spot. But comparing him to the others? He's a unicorn. Doesn't make him worse. But you can't compare a unicorn to anything else.

He was the best player at the qb position, hands down. But you could also make the argument that he wasn't the best 'QB'.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
because he was allowed to not run the play called.....

... Russ have outperformed them on their respective teams playing the qb position as its supposed to be played....
Do you think the NFL should have a rule and penalties for a QB not playing the position as it's supposed to be played?

So, like "Seattle Penalty, 10 yards and loss of first down for "Not playing the position as it's supposed to be played"

Weadoption

Reaction score
this thread definitely separates the irrational from the rational.
It’s Wilson.
But, but, but, but no.
It’s Wilson.