Golden Tate signs with the Lions

Atradees

Reaction score
Tates not gonna live in the ghetto with all that cheddar. Probably get another great contract after this one on team that hasnt figured out defense and run game

wins championships. Cause you aint gonna pass against us biatches.

mikeak

Reaction score
-The Glove-":54xzupzu said:
mikeak":54xzupzu said:
theascension":54xzupzu said:
razgriz737":54xzupzu said:
@Todd_Dybas: The #Seahawks made Golden Tate what he called a "really, really low" offer 10 days ago before upping at the last minute today.

https://twitter.com/todd_dybas/status/4 ... 5303067648
And by that it was probably 4-5 million per which is what he was worth... plus he said he'd take a hometown discount. Honestly not entirely liking the impression I get of his attitude.

You are judging his attitude by an assumption that you made on your own about Seahawks offer? That is pretty awesome

Seriously who knows what Seattle offered? I am guessing we offered $3 million per year which would make anyone go looking and I don't think the team came up higher than $4-5 million at the end. I also don't think we came close to the twenty some million guaranteed. It is one thing to take a few hundred K discount but my GUESS is that there was a significant difference.

I lived outside Detroit for a year - no issues and would do it again for a few million more than my current employeer was paying. It is a job for these guys

According to Tate, all he counts is guarantees and he got 13.25 mill from Detroit. He said the Seahawks final offer paid him that much over several years...so it wasn't even close

Thanks for the link and correction on guarantees. Sounds an awful lot like what I was guessing - $3million / year four year deal and then upped to get over the $13 million guaranteed.

I wouldn't blame the guy if he went for less / more money - they make decisions for their lifes, their families. But I sure as heck won't blame a guy trading almost the same in guarantees as he would make here in four freaking years IF (and that is a big if) he remains with the team that long. If he doesn't get injured then I don't see Detroit cutting him so that makes year 1 and 2 guaranteed except for injury. I don't know the breakdown of contract yet but if his base salary non-guaranteed is $2 milion for next year then that would be like a $15 million for sure........ That is a LOT OF MONEY. I mean you can buy your own doughnut store for that with 24/7 access and still have money left over for sprinkles....

plyka

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":39o2l6w5 said:
Tokadub just nailed exactly how I was thinking.

And yeah, I think depending on Harvin scares me. The only reason I don't worry more is because we won the SB and when you decide to go all in to win it all - you cannot really complain about the cost after if you do win it. There was a cost, we knew we were going to lose players and we did.

But Tate was a BIG part of this ride, and deserves the accolades as much as anyone.

Baldwin made the incredible plays that saved us in a few games, but Tate was consistently a producer that we generally could count on more except for those playoff games, where I still contend the reason was the increased scrutiny from the defense (and that opened things up for other players). We probably couldn't have matched but I don't see a reason we cannot acknowledge how much he meant to this team and how much he contributed to the climb up the ladder.

Also, part of the attitude of this team, that "put it on my back, I'm good" mentality, came from him.

I don't understand how we think we are just going to move forward without missing a beat with so many important cogs removed from the machine. The average WR takes 3-4 years to start producing at a reasonable level (even Golden took 3). But then again, we won and maybe it makes sense to drop expectations a bit since in general SB teams get stripped and weaker shortly after winning, in this new era.

Guys like Tate and Browner and even Red, they were an important part of what makes up attitude and fire that fed this team. The question will be whether we can just pile all this on Wilson alot with some vets and hope to get the same kind of motivation from the team. And I still remain skeptical that we can just hope to replace the offensive production we lost in both starting receivers (Tate and Rice) out and hoping our #3 can be our #2 and our #1 can actually stay on the field.

This type of "reasoning" really gets under my skin. So you're going to go on and on about his consistency, and then when he disappears in the playoffs, it's not that he disappeared, it's that "opened up" other WRs on the team who did produce. So I guess on Detroit he is going to be a 20m dollar man, because Calvin Johnson will probably catch 100+ for 1500+ and 15 TDs, and it'll all be because of Tate and how Tate opened up Calvin.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":35lnn817 said:
Enjoy watching a real team on TV in the playoffs there Golden Shower.

I'm sure he will enjoy it, even more so in the knowledge he's secured his future for him and his family. Also I think he will be pulling for his close friend Russell Wilson and former team mates.

gargantual

Reaction score
plyka":x2wzk68i said:
This type of "reasoning" really gets under my skin. So you're going to go on and on about his consistency, and then when he disappears in the playoffs, it's not that he disappeared, it's that "opened up" other WRs on the team who did produce. So I guess on Detroit he is going to be a 20m dollar man, because Calvin Johnson will probably catch 100+ for 1500+ and 15 TDs, and it'll all be because of Tate and how Tate opened up Calvin.

This ^. I understand the impulse to rationalize away GT ala "The Fox and the Grapes," but it's just avoiding reality to not acknowledge how receivers on a regular basis disappear in games allowing others to subsequently rack up big yardage, that happens ALL THE TIME.
I get and completely agree that this is the price we pay for being a perennial contender going forward. But I'm gonna miss the guy and his big plays big time. Replacing him is a going to be a crapshoot (Percy, while similar fills a very different role).

All that being said, there's a very big chance we get much bigger at WR, which is something that's always been a priority for Pete, going way back.

Reaction score
Best of luck to you, Golden. It was great to see you grow into a very good player.

Thank you for all your great moments, exciting plays, helping us win a Super Bowl, and I wish you the best on your new team.

StoneCold

Reaction score
This thread should be locked until we find out exactly what Seattle offered and can compare that to Detroit's. Everything else, including my post, are off season silliness.

Either way, I wish nothing but the best for Golden Tate. He played like a monster for us. Will be very surprised if he doesn't put up 1200 yards in that offense.

SC

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I've always been a huge Tate fan, just frustrated he chose to leave. Oh well, nothing we can do about it, he's gone. Next up.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
From the sound of details that are coming out, it seems like Seattle basically gave him a low-ball offer as a courtesy with almost no expectation that he would actually sign it. It would be really foolish to bash the guy for accepting Detroit's offer.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Well the good thing about joining the Lions is atleast he won't have to worry about showing up in the playoffs.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2tppsez7 said:
From the sound of details that are coming out, it seems like Seattle basically gave him a low-ball offer as a courtesy with almost no expectation that he would actually sign it. It would be really foolish to bash the guy for accepting Detroit's offer.

That is exactly what happened IMHO.

Xarbx425

Reaction score
Seaswab":60gto3ai said:
Well the good thing about joining the Lions is atleast he won't have to worry about showing up in the playoffs.

HAHA - sorry this made me laugh! Good one! :)

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Why does it seem that while some have lost their objectivity, more seem to have lost anything resembling a sense of humor?

nwgamer

Reaction score
Good Luck Golden. Thanks for all the great memories. The catch against Green Bay will go down in NFL history. Best of luck!