Golden Tate signs with the Lions

Seaswab

Reaction score
This doesnt surprise me at all. Tate valued himself pretty highly. Felt he was owed something for giving us 2 years of production, but nothing about this team sticking with him for 2 years when he did nothing. Goodbye Tate.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":19v4wzb8 said:
Paging all haters; paging all haters.

Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr 22m
Tate said the 49ers showed interest in signing him but he couldnt do that to Seahawks fans.

How you like them apples?

Small little something after throwing the franchise under the bus

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":yty278gw said:

Tate said the 49ers showed interest in signing him but he couldnt do that to Seahawks fans.

As much as it sucks and as sour as I am, I'm glad Tate didn't entertain that. Wish you the best of luck Tate.

sc85sis

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":23w21ie2 said:
I am curious as to why it was so imperative to sign a guy who amassed 8 catches in the playoffs? If you sign Tate, you can pretty much kiss Baldwin goodbye. Tate is not a difference maker because in our run happy offense he didn't catch the ball. If you want to argue his value, you could say he was an effective punt returner but he never did return one for a touchdown and that is because he lacks break away speed; elite or above average corners shut him down. Now he wants to cry about it in Detroit. Ok Golden, defenses will be looking for your a** now that the Lions have no running game so he will be a bigger factor in defensive game planning.

Maybe I am wrong but not one defensive team suggested the key to stopping the Seahawks was to contain Tate??

The Lions had 1,792 yards rushing in 2013. Seattle had 2,188, but over 500 yards of that was from our QB. If we had a more typical pocket passer QB, we'd quite possibly have fewer yards rushing than the Lions.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2r4j0xbi said:
Geologic":2r4j0xbi said:
Golden Tate is on 950am right now. He said the Seahawks offered him less. He then cited how the Seahawks rewarded Red Bryant and Clemons then cut them two years down the line. He said he deserved more money and didn't want to get cut two years down the line like Clemons and Big Red did.
he's not wrong for worrying. Take the higher guaranteed money because nothing is a given in this league.

Isn't that kinda an ignorant shot at the hawks? I know these dudes were his friends, but thats how all teams operate, people rarely play out their entire contracts. Even we saw these moves from miles away. You want security you either need to be elite, or have a blanket.

Tates right on for taking more money, good for him, but don't act like the seahawks do all of their players like that.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Seahawk Sailor":1rp4kg9k said:

I read that as "49ers showed interest in signing me, but they couldn't match the 5/31M I got from Detroit."

I mean, no knock on Tate. Just say "I wanted to maximize my earning potential," be gracious about the city and organization, and roll out.

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
Yeah let's give the hater-aid a rest. The guy was emotionally invested in the team and bought into the whole 'family' vibe of the team, fans and the city. He wanted to come back and was likely very disappointed the Hawks wouldn't up their offer, the Hawks had a price that they felt was fair, Tate took the best offer where he could max out his potential as a WR. I can't hate on that. He was part of the team from the beginning of the PC/JS era, a loyal soldier and was a factor in the ascension of this franchise to becoming world champions. The guy has always been both demonstrative and vocal about his love of this fan base. You recall what flag the guy was waving moments after the NFCCG? The guy loved and appreciated this fan base. The guy deserves props and love, let's not make him into some pariah. He's not.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
This may have come up already; from walterfootball.com. Some interesting points.

Lions sign WR Golden Tate (5 years, $31M; $13.25M guaranteed): D Grade
These teams don't listen. Outside of Vincent Jackson, when has a receiver gone to an inferior team than the one he has already on and thrived in his new home? It's a formula that just doesn't work. This signing doesn't make any sense for a number of other reasons as well:

First, there were better receivers than Tate available. Tate has never even had a 900-yard season. I've seen bogus analysis out there about how Tate's stats were limited because of Seattle's run-heavy attack. That's a load of crap. If Tate happened to be a starting-caliber wideout, he would have produced more consistently. The fact remains that Russell Wilson liked to spread the ball around for a reason. Tate just wasn't good enough to be relied upon as a major target.

Second, this draft class is loaded at receiver. Why overspend on a wideout who isn't even as good as several rookies in this upcoming class? And third, the Lions want to utilize a run-heavy attack, so why are they throwing all of this money on a No. 2 receiver, especially one who isn't proven like Tate?

This is an awful signing by the Lions. It'll be lauded by others, but Tate will ultimately become the latest of many free agent receiver busts.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2cvpe3or said:
-The Glove-":2cvpe3or said:
Geologic":2cvpe3or said:
Golden Tate is on 950am right now. He said the Seahawks offered him less. He then cited how the Seahawks rewarded Red Bryant and Clemons then cut them two years down the line. He said he deserved more money and didn't want to get cut two years down the line like Clemons and Big Red did.
he's not wrong for worrying. Take the higher guaranteed money because nothing is a given in this league.

Isn't that kinda an ignorant shot at the hawks? I know these dudes were his friends, but thats how all teams operate, people rarely play out their entire contracts. Even we saw these moves from miles away. You want security you either need to be elite, or have a blanket.

Tates right on for taking more money, good for him, but don't act like the seahawks do all of their players like that.

Depends on how you take it. It's no secret the team values youth and will only spend money on several key guys. You said it perfectly, "you want security. You either need to be elite, or have a blanket". I think he saw the writings on the wall as soon as Percy walked in those doors

getnasty

Reaction score
This one hurts I loved GT, I preferred him over Baldwin but whatever. Funny how GT was such a great guy for giving us a hometown discount and Bennett's a bum for wanting to be paid.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Penman96":3961xs3g said:
Good for him, sad for us?

He's the one moving to Detroit. If I had the choice between 4 million / year plus Seattle plus Superbowls vs.5 million per year in a shitehole where 3 players get 50% of the salary cap I know what I would choose.

Honestly - like the 5 years in Detroit will ever complete. And in Seattle I'm wearing 3 Superbowl rings and I'm a HOF candidate.

Of course, I'm a little biased.

I like Tate and I'm sad he's leaving, but I totally get why we didn't match the offer.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":u8ghuvrm said:
-The Glove-":u8ghuvrm said:
Geologic":u8ghuvrm said:

If nothing else, it serves as a stark reminder that no contract is fully guaranteed in the NFL, and may have forced him to re-evaluate how flexible he was willing to be.

Rocket

Reaction score
I for one will miss his donut stealin' and band-floppin'...
sigh
but I'm sure Schneider will find someone just as good, and we'll get to keep ADB which is more important.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Thats too bad, he had some huge moments for us and always brought it. Good football player I am sad to leave Seattle, but hope he does well and am glad he got his payday.

Cfuji

Reaction score
I'm going to miss him bouncing off defenders and his toughness. It's a good move for him, get paid and play on a team that throws the ball as much as any team in the league.