Grateful for the 3-0 but very worried...

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
Although this great start to the season is always a good thing I can’t help but think that the defense is a huge liability. 400+ yd opponent passing games have happened in the Pete Carroll era but this frequency now makes it evident that a substantial change will have to happen on defense for this team to get to the Super bowl. I do think it has been a little bit of many things that have led to the defense giving up so many yards so before I explain why we should be worried here are the
excuses for the defense.

For one this is an odd year with little preparation. Defenses across the league are struggling to keep up with the offenses and it does not help that a couple of starters on the defense were not here last year. So they have not finished meshing yet, and we are trying to iron out kinks that would have otherwise been done in preseason. Another thing is obviously injuries. They are rampant across the league but for the Seahawks they have mostly been on defense. That has haulted the continuity of the unit. One that already has the issue of not having much time playing together as it is. The last thing is that we have played very good quarterbacks. They know we are bleeding on defense right now and have attacked it as they should. It does not help when Wilson is going bonkers throwing for 5 tds. They have no choice but to throw and score.

But although all those excuses are valid the real problem is once those things come back to normal is our defense going to be better? Maybe, probably won’t keep this historically bad pace but I believe the biggest issue of pass rush can’t be fixed. It would certainly help if our corners could actually cover and if we could keep both our safety’s in for a whole game but no matter how good the secondary is they will always struggle if we can’t get constant pressure on the quarterback. It’s just not consistent and good quarterbacks will eat us alive all season cause of this. There is no easy fix. And no good pass rushers out there to just go pick up. The team knew this would be an issue going into the season an decided to bank on youth and some veterans to prevail. I don’t necessarily disagree with this decision because this trial by fire that Collier, Green, Robinson, Ford and Taylor will go through might bring the best out of them and thus give us something to work with in the future, but it might also be the thing that keeps us from getting to the big dance. It almost feels as if the front office thought that they would have to get through this year to have something to build on for next year.

Do I think we still have a shot at the Súper bowl? Ofcourse we have Wilson at his best and if injuries are not to harsh for us, with our schedule I think we have a shot at the #1 seed. Once we get to the playoffs anything can happen but I do think the stars will have to align for this pass rush and this defense to turn into a unit that opposing teams have to worry about.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
The thing is apparently we are an offensive team now and we will go as far that will take us. We still need an Oline but we have forever. Since our D was one of the best of all time it’s damn near impossible to put faith in our offense. I have to say I do like this protecting the lead stuff versus coming from behind. It was very nice knowing we could count on our D to score to support our ailing O.

It looks really good for a 5-0 start. RW is on a mission and I’m in. Go hawks

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Every single win, same thing on here. Happy but...……
Nah, enjoy it. We all know the pass D is pathetic. But, we also know this team can win games with this offense.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I'd be way more worried if defenses all over the league weren't getting torched, but they are.

We need to get better but.....
as long as we continue to win, playing entertaining football, while trying to accomplish this, I'll be content.

Besides I made my chicken wings for the game so I wasn't worried at all. 3-0 baby!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll put it this way. As my neighbor said yesterday (a very astute NFL fan) "Enjoy Russ' MVP season but don't expect to win the Super Bowl with that defense." He's right. Russ will likely win MVP this year and we may end up 12-4, 13-3 but once January is here, our defense (or lacktherof) will rear it's ugly head and we will be bounced before February.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Aros":1yv71oyb said:
I'll put it this way. As my neighbor said yesterday (a very astute NFL fan) "Enjoy Russ' MVP season but don't expect to win the Super Bowl with that defense." He's right. Russ will likely win MVP this year and we may end up 12-4, 13-3 but once January is here, our defense (or lacktherof) will rear it's ugly head and we will be bounced before February.
By the time we get to January the defense will be held together by rubber-bands and string by the way these injuries are going.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Aros":nqgxkvxc said:

That's a pretty good take.

It's fun to watch the crazy offense and the wins are great.

There's been enough offense to win a Super Bowl every year since 2013. It's been a little grindy and not the most fun thing to watch at times, but it's enough.

People absolutely insisted that this team would be unstoppable last year if they just opened it up for Wilson. A lot of points are getting scored. But the offense leaves the field and the other team just does what they want. This was totally predictable. It's riding the same hair edge as last year, just now more points are involved. Last year was fun, this year will be fun.

But I'm definitely going to keep shaking my heads at those who are absolutely offense oriented and thinking that "slow starts" and "holding Wilson back" were the thing not getting this team to more Super Bowls. Not only is that hard anyway, but the defense not being able to lock down when they need to is the problem.

It is nice having an obviously HOF QB and being in pretty much every game and winning a lot of them. Glad they paid that dude.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I don't think the "worry" after being 3-0 would be so prevalent if the yards given up weren't so historically extreme. Giving up that kind of yardage (and associated points) while needing 5 TDs from Russ just doesn't seem at all sustainable...is it?
I'm trying to be optimistic that the D will continue to gel and improve at least somewhat.

chris98251

Reaction score
What we have right now is a Funny car that can pull 6 seconds in the quarter, but we are in for a cross country trip and that gas mileage is going to kill us over the long haul if we don't adjust something, it's fun at first but nothing will matter if we can't slow down other teams also.

I think thats what a lot of people are saying.

Own The West

Reaction score
If you saw Shaq Griffin's post-game interview, he mentioned a bunch of things that still need to be cleaned up. Which gives me hope that this D is still a work in progress. He didn't not seem at all concerned though which gives me mixed feelings. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the D is in progress or denial.

I though before the season that if we could get to the bye 3-2, 4-1 we'd be in good shape going into the heart of our schedule. We jolly well could be 5-0 with some of our unknown young guys vetted due to the rash of injuries in Week 2 and 3.

Yes, we gave up a ton of yards the first few weeks but this isn't figure skating. There are no style points. Wins are the only stat that matters.

Sealake80

Reaction score
Great read. Lots of balanced opinions being shared.

Fingers crossed knock on wood the defense gets better as the year progresses. At this stage in Wilson’s development the D just needs to be decent.

I don’t know if it’s gonna happen or not. It’s gonna be fun to watch though.

#3 is so good. So fun to watch his career as a Seahawk.

We have been blessed.

Enjoy everyone. Go Hawks!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Football is hard. Winning is hard. Winning in a salary cap world with an elite QB isn't any easier because you are limited to a lot of JAG's elsewhere.

Personally I prefer this style to the rope a dope style of the last few years. I've always been a proponent that it is both how your start AND how you finish that determines games. The Hawks are starting well and finishing well and hence the 3-0 start. Sure there's a lot of crazy crap in the middle, but that's football.

People whine every year that the team can't win the SB playing like this when that is patently false. Lots of ways to win Superbowls including playing lights out offense and just barely enough defense. What it almost always comes down to is health more than anything.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Sealake80":qpg0g89e said:
Great read. Lots of balanced opinions being shared.

Fingers crossed knock on wood the defense gets better as the year progresses. At this stage in Wilson’s development the D just needs to be decent.

I don’t know if it’s gonna happen or not. It’s gonna be fun to watch though.

#3 is so good. So fun to watch his career as a Seahawk.

We have been blessed.

:ditto: couldn't have said it better myself. We're very blessed to get to watch #3 in the prime of his career. We'll see how far this ride can go

Optimus25

Reaction score
Aros":1rj5xdgd said:

Yup. I'd be terrified to play Green Bay right now. We just don't have the firepower to compete defensively. In my mind Pete has to do something big to change the trajectory. Either a random free agent acquisition or something to change it all up.

The biggest problem since the Super Bowl is we do massive shakeups and then just sit on it for a year or two, stubbornly, not willing to look at the evidence right in front of our face and say, "hmmm, that's not working. Let's just do something, anything to change it up and see if it helps". Instead it's just "well, this is the status quo now. We'll bite this bullet."

Latest posts