Grateful tonight for a petulant child

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":387qjghi said:
Scottemojo":387qjghi said:
If they hire Tomsula, you will have your penny pinching answer.

I think they will promote Tomsula, but I don't think it will be about pinching pennies (they have the highest paid coaching staff in the NFL, and it's not really close -- one of the many reasons they've been able to retain everyone over these four years).

They'll promote Tomsula because they think they have a good thing going, and they don't want too much disruption from that. They know Tomsula is widely respected by the players, coaching staff, and front office, and promoting him will keep things in house and prevent disruption. Him getting outside HC interviews last year also probably gives some legitimacy to the promotion in their minds, IMO.

I think this is a huge mistake, but my guess is that this is what the logic will be.
Considering what Fangio has gotten out of a depleted defense, that ought to be the man.

Or perhaps they will think that if Tomsula takes over Fangio will stay.

I think Todd Bowles would be an awesome HC.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
pehawk":lw5p53dv said:
The stench of how this is going down will linger for quite awhile.

Plus, how far removed are they from being the franchise known for penny pinching? Not that far.

As I've been saying for awhile I think Tomsula will get promoted (which I also think is a mistake), but you're seriously selling the desirability of the job short, IMO.

It's likely all academic but the "stench" of all this (if you read the national and local media), if it's going on anyone, is going on Harbaugh, as he's the one with an established pattern of causing organizational conflict everywhere he goes. Baake was respected in NFL circles before Harbaugh even got the gig.

The "penny pinching" you're referring to is also under John York. Jed doesn't have that reputation at all.

Like it or not the 9ers are a prestige franchise in the NFL, have Super Bowl and deep playoff caliber talent on the team, a bunch of talent coming back from injury, a brand new stadium bringing 100 million in additional revenue a year, a widely respected GM, and some nice draft picks coming up.

They'd have their pick of HC candidates this off-season, which is what makes them (IMO) likely promoting Tomsula such a mistake.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2z6sjwlk said:
Considering what Fangio has gotten out of a depleted defense, that ought to be the man.

Totally agreed about Fangio. Tomsula is a charismatic guy, but Fangio is the real coaching brains in the building.

People forget how innovative Harbaugh and Roman's offense was, it was just figured out and they've been unable to adjust.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2sxbdkrm said:
pehawk":2sxbdkrm said:
The stench of how this is going down will linger for quite awhile.

Plus, how far removed are they from being the franchise known for penny pinching? Not that far.

As I've been saying for awhile I think Tomsula will get promoted (which I also think is a mistake), but you're seriously selling the desirability of the job short, IMO.

It's likely all academic but the "stench" of all this (if you read the national and local media), if it's going on anyone, is going on Harbaugh, as he's the one with an established pattern of causing organizational conflict everywhere he goes. Baake was respected in NFL circles before Harbaugh even got the gig.

The "penny pinching" you're referring to is also under John York. Jed doesn't have that reputation at all.

Like it or not the 9ers are a prestige franchise in the NFL, have Super Bowl and deep playoff caliber talent on the team, a bunch of talent coming back from injury, a brand new stadium bringing 100 million in additional revenue a year, a widely respected GM, and some nice draft picks coming up.

They'd have their pick of HC candidates this off-season, which is what makes them (IMO) likely promoting Tomsula such a mistake.
I will add to that this: If York and Baalke hire Tomsula, it's a sign of insecurity. It would probably be because they want a more pliable coach. There are a number of name coaches who would ask for more authority over personnel than Tomsula.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":5si1rvph said:
Scottemojo":5si1rvph said:

Totally agreed about Fangio. Tomsula is a charismatic guy, but Fangio is the real coaching brains in the building.

People forget how innovative Harbaugh and Roman's offense was, it was just figured out and they've been unable to adjust.

I still think it is innovative. The wrong players got hurt or old. And the receivers they tried to plug into it were mostly not fits, with the exception of Boldin and Crabs.

pehawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2jnraqnr said:
Scottemojo":2jnraqnr said:

Harbaugh is an offensive savant. I think it's all on Kap; he had the easiest job in the NFL in 2012 and 2013. As the job became more difficult Kap's true skill set and abilities became apparent. Harbs hitched himself to Colin, in a way all HC's eventually do. Nothing more than that.

Tannehill is a jugs machine in a helmet. But, i like him as a passer more than Kap. I think Harbaugh will/would do wonders for him.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
For years, Arians couldn't get a HC gig because his personality was too...acidic. Same for Zimmer.

Fangio seems like one of those guys. I'm not saying he is a jerk or anything, just maybe not a yes man for some GM.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
pehawk":1rw54noo said:

To be fair to you, Niner fans think the same thing about the Yorks, but it is a myth.

We were in salary cap hell and could not sign any big free agents during the early 2000s and that's where this whole thing came from. York got his reputation for being cheap because of that. For more info on it, check this: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/05/sport ... tion=&_r=0

At this time we have one of the highest paid coaching staffs in the league (though Harbaugh is underpaid at this time but remember he signed his contract in 2011 without an NFL track record as a HC) and we are pretty much using all our cap space.

pehawk

Reaction score
RationalNiner":sqe6n1qh said:
pehawk":sqe6n1qh said:

To be fair to you, Niner fans think the same thing about the Yorks, but it is a myth.

We were in salary cap hell and could not sign any big free agents during the early 2000s and that's where this whole thing came from. York got his reputation for being cheap because of that. For more info on it, check this: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/05/sport ... tion=&_r=0

At this time we have one of the highest paid coaching staffs in the league (though Harbaugh is underpaid at this time but remember he signed his contract in 2011 without an NFL track record as a HC) and we are pretty much using all our cap space.

I'm not talking about the cap. IIRC, the previous York was notorious for deducting beverages and postage stamps from players paychecks. The postage stamps story was from Clayton.

That was their previous rep. My fear would be the revert to part now that the stadium is built.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
pehawk":1aytstaz said:
I'm not talking about the cap. IIRC, the previous York was notorious for deducting beverages and postage stamps from players paychecks. The postage stamps story was from Clayton.

That was their previous rep. My fear would be the revert to part now that the stadium is built.

Interesting. Have not heard that. Do you have a source about York deducting beverages and postage stamps from paychecks that I can read?

Nolan said he never felt John York was cheap and did everything he did to accommodate him and his requests.

-edit-

I actually really like John York. He always took the time to personally and thoughtfully reply to my emails whenever I emailed him and thanked me for being a fan each time.

pehawk

Reaction score
RationalNiner":2jc39ib2 said:
pehawk":2jc39ib2 said:

Interesting. Have not heard that. Do you have a source about York deducting beverages and postage stamps from paychecks that I can read?

Nolan said he never felt John York was cheap and did everything he did to accommodate him and his requests.

Hmm, no link. It was just on Clayton's radio show. I want to say the year the Seahawks signed your LB, Thomas.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
pehawk":4xu6ce5m said:
RationalNiner":4xu6ce5m said:
pehawk":4xu6ce5m said:

Hmm, no link. It was just on Clayton's radio show. I want to say the year the Seahawks signed your LB, Thomas.

LB Thomas??

Never heard the stamps or beverage thing (sounds like BS, tbh) but IIRC these stories started when John York eliminated Xmas bonuses for office support staff. He also went on a media kick saying that Eddie's day of pouring unreturned money into the team were over, and that he was going to run the team to be profitable as one would any other business.

pehawk

Reaction score
Uggh, I meant Julian Peterson...not Thomas. It was right around that time.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ah, of course. Should have been able to figure that out myself. Thanks.

pehawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":11c31gaf said:

Smartass...

Maybe you guys are right and this York is different. But, from our view we've seen underperforming teams followed by a good coach that's now on his way out.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":khu7muvb said:
Popeyejones":khu7muvb said:

Smartass...

Maybe you guys are right and this York is different. But, from our view we've seen underperforming teams followed by a good coach that's now on his way out.

I can see that.

As I look at it, Jed made a good hire (Harbaugh) after a bad hire (Singletary) and got Levis built when Eddie D and John York couldn't. Jeds epitaph has yet to be written.

I trust that there is a mind there that is going to at least do what he THINKS is the right thing and not just the cheapest thing like his father would do.

If Harbough is out (and we still don't know for sure), it is NOT because of the money. Something else is going on.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think alot of the new found commitment to winning may wind down, now that York got his palace. Just a hunch.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Harbaugh is an egomaniacal jerkoff who has always (and will always) wear out his welcome. Yes he took a boatload of good players and got them to the SB. But I see him exactly like Bill Parcells; everything is roses when the team is winning, but when they are not, then the character flaws become too much and it's time for the front office to fire and forget.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":32dbpkfz said:
I think alot of the new found commitment to winning may wind down, now that York got his palace. Just a hunch.

I doubt it.

I think he's much more like his Uncle Eddie than like his father. The angry Tweet on Thanksgiving is something Eddie would have done.

Being like Eddie ain't all good either. If there had been twitter back then it would have been scary what he'd have said.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Tbup8.So.4.jpeg

This is what Jed York decided to talk about publicly right before the 49ers are set to enter the playoffs:
“I hope he has all the leverage in the world. We kind of started to talk about a new contract last offseason after the Super Bowl, but it never got to the formal stage of making an offer. I think, rightfully so, Jim believes he has outperformed the original contract.

We’ll talk about something in the offseason that will put him in better position and we’ll see what he wants to do. He does have two years left and he may decide to play it out and bet on himself. By the time the deal is done, maybe he’ll be worth $8 or $9 million a year because he has won a couple of Super Bowls. I sure hope that’s the case.”

Sure you do . . . you cheap, overpaid, overprivileged, petulant child in a three-piece suit. You're talking like you know a damn thing about what it takes to win a Super Bowl, or motivating anyone to do so.

Then before the start of this season:
"Like I've said publicly and very loudly in the past, I hope he has the utmost leverage when we sit down and talk about his contract at the end of the season. It's a good thing. It's an unbelievable problem to have.”

At least he got one thing right. Uncertainty at the top is an "unbelieveable problem to have" when you are talking about a few million dollars a year standing in the way of long-term success for your franchise.

And here's what he actually said at the end of this year's "State of the Team" address:
"To me the state of the team is we're deeper than we've ever been. We've got a lot of talent. This is a team that's poised for great things this year. It's time to get it done. That's really where we are, and that's what we expect, year in and year out is to get it done. And to be the last one's standing. If we're not, we're going to be very upset."
http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Jed-Y ... 7f30084231

Anyone who knows anything about body language, go watch this video (starting at the 2:45 mark). He is literally shaking his head "no" while he is saying this. He demands Super Bowls like he's freaking King Joffrey.

This is exactly what Harbaugh should do to him next time he opens his mouth to ask him why he hasn't won a Super Bowl yet:
Joffrey gets slapped 5