Greg Olsen Signed to 1 Year Deal

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's a great example right there. There's something to be said for a vet mentoring other guys on the team. His presence should make a huge difference in that locker room and on the field. IF he can stay healthy, he should contribute.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Olsen's 34, not 44............so not sure why so many people think he's old and washed up. Dude played 14 games, caught two TD's and 52 catches from a stiff like Kyle Allen.

IMO it's a perfect fit here. We desperately need a veteran TE for not only insurance with Dissly coming off a major Achilles injury, but a smart TE that Russell will love throwing to, especially in the red zone.

And for only 5-7M? No brainer great deal for me.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11mst1vf said:
Olsen's 34, not 44............so not sure why so many people think he's old and washed up. Dude played 14 games, caught two TD's and 52 catches from a stiff like Kyle Allen.

IMO it's a perfect fit here. We desperately need a veteran TE for not only insurance with Dissly coming off a major Achilles injury, but a smart TE that Russell will love throwing to, especially in the red zone.

He was healthier last year, so that's good, but to me, where the age has really shown up is his blocking. His willingness and effectiveness both have kinda fallen off a cliff in recent years. He was letting DE's with outside alignment get across his face, and he's since mostly been relegated to playing more of a slot type role.

Jville

Reaction score
We can all second guess. But, I'm confident the Seahawks brain trust has a vision as to how they want to integrate Greg Olsen into the 2020 offense prior to signing. There is also plenty of time to heal up and prepare for a fresh role in a new offense. This will be a new and exciting challenge for a veteran focused on finishing an outstanding career. :biggthumpup:

Fade

Reaction score
Tical21":dw69iqnp said:
First, if we got a Dissly hedge, it should've been a blocker. I actually think at this point, Hollister is a better blocker than Olsen is, and Hollister is pretty horrible. Olsen plays the move TE, which is the same position as Hollister. When Dickson was there (Carolina), he played the Dissly position, and Olsen played Hollister's. Also, I think for a running offense, Hollister is just fine as your receiving TE. I was a strong proponent in adding a veteran TE, but IMO it should've been one with more of a blocking pedigree than a receiving, and a guy that has started a little.

I would've gotten a cheap TE and spent that money elsewhere. You could get Kendricks or Clay for half the price or less, and they would've been fine, and are better blockers. I think getting Olsen means we still have to sign or draft a blocking TE. I really don't get the fit here. I'd prefer Hollister, essentially the same player, much cheaper and younger.

Yay for Tical making a good point for a change, instead of trolling RW threads. PC has done this a ton over the years. Jimmy Graham, Paul Richardson, Percy Harvin, etc. They spend exaborant amounts of resources on being a spread, finesse team, and then turn around and try to blunt force a running game. Which usually leads to it not working, and then Wilson has to put on the cape and try to eek out a victory by the skin of their teeth.

Olsen is a shadow of his former self, his speed is all but gone. Though I think he can be a nice Red Zone target, and a spot starter, but he is light in the cakes these days with a bad foot. A veteran blocking TE for $2-3M would've sufficed just fine. $5.5-7M for a, Jacob Hollister, over the hill, Joker TE is a little high for my taste.

Tical21":dw69iqnp said:
Also, we don't have as much money as people think. Other than a DE, this is probably our big signing. I would not have spent that on a backup TE.

The Seahawks are drowning in cap space actually. As they haven't drafted that great over the last 5 years, they don't have a lot of guys up for 2nd deals. Quill Griffin, and probably Poona Ford being the only 2 players worth 2nd contract/ extensions over the next 18 months.

Seattle is going to have Britt, Wright, Wagner, and Brown coming off the books in then next 24 months as their deals expire or they end up being cap casualties. And of course the salary cap is going to continue to rise every year.

Seattle is either going to play it one of 2 ways.

1) Sign cut players like Olsen, to protect their 2021 comp picks.

2) They spend big like they did early in the PC era signing Miller, Rice, and Gallery. As they have excessive cap space for the next 3 years.

#2 is the right route to take.
From my perspective, they need to get a veteran O-Lineman, 2 DEs, a DT, and retain Fant. If they can do that it will be a successful FA period. They have plenty of space and then some to do just that.

1 OL = 1 out of Conklin, Bulaga, Scherff, Thuney, and Greg Van Roten.
2 DEs = 2 out of Clowney, Barrett, Armstead, Quinn, Fowler, and Jordan Jenkins.
1 DT = 1 out of Reed, Suh, Hargrave, Leonard Williams, and Chris Jones (Probably tagged).

The Olsen signing makes me nervous they are going with option #1, which will be a repeat of the last 5 years. Wilson having to drag a mediocre team to another early playoff exit once again.

Olsen, Snacks Harrison, Everson Griffon, and Ifedi = Mediocresville. But they would keep their 2021comp. picks.

Tical21

Reaction score
I’m in, but you gotta fit that under the cap. You’ve got 43 million to spend, 10 of which you need to save for rookies and 5 of which you need to save for the season. So you’ve got 28. You cut Britt and Dickson. You’ve got what, 45? OL is 10-12 mil depending on what you frontload. DE 1 is 16 or so. You’ve got 18 left. You need a C, 3 more DL at least, a RB and a nickel. What do you do?

massari

Reaction score
Fade":1ia18f69 said:
.1) Sign cut players like Olsen, to protect their 2021 comp picks.

The Olsen signing makes me nervous they are going with option #1, which will be a repeat of the last 5 years. Wilson having to drag a mediocre team to another early playoff exit once again.

Olsen, Snacks Harrison, Everson Griffon, and Ifedi = Mediocresville. But they would keep their 2021comp. picks.
Mingo cancels Graham 3rd or 4th rd comp pick
E.Dickson cancels S.Richardson 4th rd comp
J.Brown cancels P.Richardson 5th rd comp
Stephen cancels Willson 7th rd comp

Now they have a chance to land some actual impact players. If they now decide to go with option #1, someone needs to tell them their philosophy seems a little backwards.

Tical21":1ia18f69 said:
I’m in, but you gotta fit that under the cap. You’ve got 43 million to spend, 10 of which you need to save for rookies and 5 of which you need to save for the season. So you’ve got 28. You cut Britt and Dickson. You’ve got what, 45? OL is 10-12 mil depending on what you frontload. DE 1 is 16 or so. You’ve got 18 left. You need a C, 3 more DL at least, a RB and a nickel. What do you do?
Frank Clark only had a 6.5M cap hit this past season....

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Tical21":20wc75aw said:
Sgt. Largent":20wc75aw said:

He was healthier last year, so that's good, but to me, where the age has really shown up is his blocking. His willingness and effectiveness both have kinda fallen off a cliff in recent years. He was letting DE's with outside alignment get across his face, and he's since mostly been relegated to playing more of a slot type role.
TEs shouldn't be blocking DEs unless they're an extra blocker o-lineman like Fant.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I think the signing gives them a chance of running a legit 2 tight end set which may make up for some lack of depth at wr. The big question or concern is health. Is Dissly going to be the same? Two major injuries and showing so far he is a chronic band aid... Is Olsen done and over the hill? Not sure anyone can say yes right now with the mess he endured last season in Carolina at qb. Also I'd think the team would of assessed that foot before taking him on. I still think Hollister was just a guy who benefited from having RW as a qb. Willsson is done and cant do what we need him to do...Dickson was a waste of money and Swoopes has shown nothing. They had to do something. Every good offense in the league seems to have a stud at te so hopefully both Dissly and Olsen stay healthy.

Jville

Reaction score
Olsen will be able to come into the offense and seamlessly replicate Hollister’s usage on his highest-volume routes, bringing continuity to areas which became highly reliable in 2019. There are two further areas, however, where Hollister struggled or was not used last season that Olsen excels in.

Some interesting thoughts on how Olsen fits into Seattle's offense >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/2/21/21144679/greg-olsen-seattle-seahawks-signing-2020-all-22-film-review-tight-end-jacob-hollister-11-personnel[/urltargetblank] <<< well worth reading.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Jville":5k0jqrvz said:
Olsen will be able to come into the offense and seamlessly replicate Hollister’s usage on his highest-volume routes, bringing continuity to areas which became highly reliable in 2019. There are two further areas, however, where Hollister struggled or was not used last season that Olsen excels in.

Some interesting thoughts on how Olsen fits into Seattle's offense >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/2/21/21144679/greg-olsen-seattle-seahawks-signing-2020-all-22-film-review-tight-end-jacob-hollister-11-personnel[/urltargetblank] <<< well worth reading.
Wow, I sure hope Russ doesn't read this or it'll spur him into forcing the ball to Olsen all season.

Good article. Thanks Jville

Fade

Reaction score
A silver lining on the Olsen signing is If the Seahawks commit to 12 personnel, outside zone, with bootaction off of it this could be a great signing.

However, I just don't see Pete changing his ways. They are going to run inside zone early and often until they get behind the sticks, and then ask Russ to put on the cape when needed. For whatever reason that is how coach wants it.

Understanding that context is crucial.

Olsen inline as the Y is a sluggish Hollister with a better catch radius and some veteran savvy. He will struggle on 1st and 2nd downs blocking, but should be a nice 3rd down target to move the chains if healthy and Dissly isn't on the field, (11 personnel).

I am going to go with the Seahawks are not changing their scheme, because that is how it has always been under Pete.

@Tical, take some Salary Cap lessons or something so we can have a legit discussion on the topic.

Seattle's rookies will not eat up $10M in additional cap in 2020. Rookies are generally cheaper than veterans. so a 5th round rookie with a 700K cap hit takes the spot of a veteran with a 900k cap hit. They gain cap space.

As an example. I expect Seattle to draft a Safety in the middle rounds and cut, TT, freeing up 2.14M.

$-800k +$2.14M = $1.34M salary cap gain.

Not having enough space isn't the issue. Signing and drafting the right players is.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1wzsjbvg said:
Really hate this deal. He's a bad fit, and Russ is gonna force the ball to him. We needed a blocking TE, and we needed it to be really cheap. He's neither. Hollister is fine as our pass-catching TE. They play the same position. Olsen isn't an in-line blocker, and hasn't been for a decade. We needed a Dissly replacement, not a Hollister replacement. The fact that he's going to take snaps away from the younger player, who at-worst is almost as good as him, is the kind of backwards thinking that has been causing Pete and John to spin their wheels a lot lately. Hollister was fine. When we roll out Hollister and Olsen in week 1, who in the world is supposed to block? We're going to have to bring in another TE now.
Wow man, why don't you go to V-Mac & wrest the job away from Pete Carroll, just explain to him how damned stupid he is for making these moves that you see as idiotic, I'm sure that the higher ups will see your expertise, and send him down the road kicking horse-turds. :roll: :34853_doh:

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/curtmenefee/status/1231685836548251651[/tweet] .................. I'm getting this feeling that we are going to be privy to some really cool interviews this season. :2thumbs:

Tical21

Reaction score
Fade":35oprypn said:
A silver lining on the Olsen signing is If the Seahawks commit to 12 personnel, outside zone, with bootaction off of it this could be a great signing.

However, I just don't see Pete changing his ways. They are going to run inside zone early and often until they get behind the sticks, and then ask Russ to put on the cape when needed. For whatever reason that is how coach wants it.

Understanding that context is crucial.

Olsen inline as the Y is a sluggish Hollister with a better catch radius and some veteran savvy. He will struggle on 1st and 2nd downs blocking, but should be a nice 3rd down target to move the chains if healthy and Dissly isn't on the field, (11 personnel).

I am going to go with the Seahawks are not changing their scheme, because that is how it has always been under Pete.

@Tical, take some Salary Cap lessons or something so we can have a legit discussion on the topic.

Seattle's rookies will not eat up $10M in additional cap in 2020. Rookies are generally cheaper than veterans. so a 5th round rookie with a 700K cap hit takes the spot of a veteran with a 900k cap hit. They gain cap space.

As an example. I expect Seattle to draft a Safety in the middle rounds and cut, TT, freeing up 2.14M.

$-800k +$2.14M = $1.34M salary cap gain.

Not having enough space isn't the issue. Signing and drafting the right players is.
If the Seahawks use all of their current picks for this year, they're slotted to spend just over 9 million. But they'll probably add a few picks.

Go ahead and project the guys that you expect to be cut if you'd like and figure that into cap savings, but that's not the same argument.

Tical21

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2kz3fae4 said:
Tical21":2kz3fae4 said:
Really hate this deal. He's a bad fit, and Russ is gonna force the ball to him. We needed a blocking TE, and we needed it to be really cheap. He's neither. Hollister is fine as our pass-catching TE. They play the same position. Olsen isn't an in-line blocker, and hasn't been for a decade. We needed a Dissly replacement, not a Hollister replacement. The fact that he's going to take snaps away from the younger player, who at-worst is almost as good as him, is the kind of backwards thinking that has been causing Pete and John to spin their wheels a lot lately. Hollister was fine. When we roll out Hollister and Olsen in week 1, who in the world is supposed to block? We're going to have to bring in another TE now.
Wow man, why don't you go to V-Mac & wrest the job away from Pete Carroll, just explain to him how damned stupid he is for making these moves that you see as idiotic, I'm sure that the higher ups will see your expertise, and send him down the road kicking horse-turds. :roll: :34853_doh:
Ummmm, I guess I'm sorry for sharing an opinion on a message board.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":11bc9x1x said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/1232057946323861504[/tweet]

I knew Dexter never actually made it to Alaska.

Jville

Reaction score
Qomtqtn32qjcwbhwbncv

"It was just too good of an opportunity to pass up," Olsen said. "Their track record of success, consistency of winning. I've played in this city many times, and just the fanbase, the excitement, that stadium is one of the more unique venues in all of sports. And obviously Coach (Pete) Carroll, playing with somebody like Russell (Wilson), it just checks so many boxes I was looking for, and I'm confident I can just come in and do my part and help try to put (us) over the edge."

As Olsen was weighing his options in free agency, one thing he heard from a lot of people, including Wilson, was a high opinion of how the Seahawks operate as an organization.

[urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/news/greg-olsen-signing-with-seahawks-was-just-too-good-of-an-opportunity-to-pass-up[/urltargetblank]