Greg Olsen Signed to 1 Year Deal

Tical21

Reaction score
Really hate this deal. He's a bad fit, and Russ is gonna force the ball to him. We needed a blocking TE, and we needed it to be really cheap. He's neither. Hollister is fine as our pass-catching TE. They play the same position. Olsen isn't an in-line blocker, and hasn't been for a decade. We needed a Dissly replacement, not a Hollister replacement. The fact that he's going to take snaps away from the younger player, who at-worst is almost as good as him, is the kind of backwards thinking that has been causing Pete and John to spin their wheels a lot lately. Hollister was fine. When we roll out Hollister and Olsen in week 1, who in the world is supposed to block? We're going to have to bring in another TE now.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
IF the Hawks really are going wild this offseason in more than one area, I mean making each group SB quality, TE would be an option as the minor "sacrificial lamb", comparitively. With a bunch of above average TE's who can block, roll the healthy two out week to week, TEBC. Go hogwild on the lines, then everywhere else. We're going hogwild! Might see Dissley in the second half more so, just in time for, well, you know.

Slick

Reaction score
I thinks it's a great deal for two reasons:

1) Leadership in the room. Two young guys (hell three if we still have Swoopes) get to learn from one of the best tight ends of this century.
2) Insurance in the event Dissly is injured at any point.

The bad side is, yes, Greg Olsen is older and his foot isn't the same but watch All or Nothing and you'll appreciate the man.

Seymour

Reaction score
One thing about Olsen I've noticed over the years. Every time we played the Panthers he seems to eat us for lunch and I always hoped we could find a similar talent. At 5.5 M base (the rest is incentives) and lets say we get 12 games + post season from him, then I consider that a good deal personally. He will also help Dissly immensly IMO. This is a fairly low risk 1 year deal with good potential upside.

sutz

Reaction score
Seymour":2fafrlys said:
One thing about Olsen I've noticed over the years. Every time we played the Panthers he seems to eat us for lunch and I always hoped we could find a similar talent. At 5.5 M base (the rest is incentives) and lets say we get 12 games + post season from him, then I consider that a good deal personally. He will also help Dissly immensly IMO. This is a fairly low risk 1 year deal with good potential upside.
Every TE used to eat our lunch. :laugh:

Given our current uncertainty at TE, I can live with this deal. Olsen has been a stud most of his career.

Largent80

Reaction score
The deals evaluations will be at the end of the 2021 season. Right now it is a solid signing for a team that needs a veteran TE.

Health is a concern as it is for a 26 year old Javadeon Clowney who wants a 24 million dollar contract and has had microfracture surgery on a knee.

So who is to say how all of this will turn out in February?..Nobody is the answer.

Largent80

Reaction score
So, I don't see a negative to this signing being that we get a veteran TE (albeit older). So, were better off doing this than anything else. The draft is devoid TE this year. Dickson was a non factor in 2 years.

He offers veteran experience. I don't see a negative at all, but thats just me.

Tical21

Reaction score
Largent80":1hw7bf4q said:
So, I don't see a negative to this signing being that we get a veteran TE (albeit older). So, were better off doing this than anything else. The draft is devoid TE this year. Dickson was a non factor in 2 years.

He offers veteran experience. I don't see a negative at all, but thats just me.
I have two qualms with the deal. Kinda 3. First, if we got a Dissly hedge, it should've been a blocker. I actually think at this point, Hollister is a better blocker than Olsen is, and Hollister is pretty horrible. Olsen plays the move TE, which is the same position as Hollister. When Dickson was there (Carolina), he played the Dissly position, and Olsen played Hollister's. Also, I think for a running offense, Hollister is just fine as your receiving TE. I was a strong proponent in adding a veteran TE, but IMO it should've been one with more of a blocking pedigree than a receiving, and a guy that has started a little. Also, we don't have as much money as people think. Other than a DE, this is probably our big signing. I would not have spent that on a backup TE. I would've gotten a cheap TE and spent that money elsewhere. You could get Kendricks or Clay for half the price or less, and they would've been fine, and are better blockers. I think getting Olsen means we still have to sign or draft a blocking TE. I really don't get the fit here. I'd prefer Hollister, essentially the same player, much cheaper and younger.

Also, I have a feeling that because he's a "name" guy, Russ is going to try to force a few to him that he probably shouldn't. Russ is sometimes a little funny with "name" guys. Not sure Olsen is young enough for it to still really be a factor, but it certainly could be.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/1230249892112519168[/tweet]

Hope you didn't buy a Dissly jersey. :?

sutz

Reaction score
Guys, guys, guys! Please don't get this thread moved to the shack.

:34853_doh:

Jville

Reaction score
Nice call,

Returning to the actual intended topic of this thread ......................

But2ajgvebentyeg5mxm

[urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks-agree-to-terms-with-tight-end-greg-olsen[/urltargetblank]

Assuming this move was made to replace TE Ed Dickson, the signing of Greg Olsen makes a lot of sense. Dickson missed all of 2019 and managed only 364 offensive snaps for 2018.

The 5.5 million guarantee for Olsen less the 3 million in cap saving for Dickson's hypothetical release results in a net of 2.5 million. Add to that 1.5 million in available bonuses produces sums of $2.5 to $4 million. Add the dead cap charges of $866,668 for Dickson's hypothetical release and the result is a cap cost that ranges from $3,366668 to 4,866,668 for 2020. Not a bad solution in filling a need for a veteran tight end that the starting quarterback wants to work with.

Looks like a good move to me. :2thumbs: Rooster churn!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/1223792979397292032[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Will_Diss/status/1229907978641240064[/tweet]

nanomoz

Reaction score
If Olsen plays only on third down, this is probably still worth it.

Jville

Reaction score
iu

Off topic posts have been moved >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163295[/urltargetblank]

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm excited to have Olsen here, both for his production on the field, and his anticipated ability to mentor our younger TE players, including a rookie TE prospect I expect us to pick up in the draft.

I keep going back to the example of a nearly-washed-up Lawyer Milloy coming to Seattle in Pete's first year here, IIRC, and serving as a mentor and example to rookies Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. That didn't turn out too badly! If Olsen can share a few things with younger-bodied Will Dissly and others, it could really upgrade the conversations in our TE meeting room and the production on the field. I don't think Pete would have brought Olsen here without having the conversation about mentorship, and without doing some vetting on Olsen's willingness and ability to teach others the tricks of the trade.

I do think we'll get some great production out of Olsen on the field, and more available/healthy games from him than we're perhaps expecting, like maybe 14+.

Russell's happy, so I'm happy!

Latest posts