Hawkblogger: Seahawks Offensive Identify Crisis

Seymour

Reaction score
semiahmoo":23m3jv78 said:
KiwiHawk":23m3jv78 said:
While I know the OL has to do a better job than it did last year, the injury events were in situations that Wilson creates as part of his nature. His instinct is to extend the play and look for the home run ball.

Whether the OL holds blocks for 0.5 seconds or 3.5 seconds, Wilson is going to try to extend plays looking for opportunity which puts him into the circumstances in which he was injured last season.

Keep in mind the initial injury was one of the very few true accidents in Suh's career, and the subsequent one came on an illegal horsecollar tackle.

I agree that we need to protect him for the sake of his career longevity, but by the same token we can't wrap him up in cotton balls without ruining the very thing that makes him a special QB.

Which also makes it even more likely he won't have a particularly long NFL career.

3-4 more seasons?

A slower RW is a far less capable one and time and weight are already working against him.

3-4 more healthy seasons and another Super Bowl, though?

I'll take it.

3-4 more years for Russell? Where did that come from? He has never missed a game due to injury and has proven to be an effective pocket passer when needed. Hell Vick played to 37 and was still running more than Russell did. Sorry, I think you are out of luck on that call.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":22v80kck said:
semiahmoo":22v80kck said:
KiwiHawk":22v80kck said:
While I know the OL has to do a better job than it did last year, the injury events were in situations that Wilson creates as part of his nature. His instinct is to extend the play and look for the home run ball.

Whether the OL holds blocks for 0.5 seconds or 3.5 seconds, Wilson is going to try to extend plays looking for opportunity which puts him into the circumstances in which he was injured last season.

Keep in mind the initial injury was one of the very few true accidents in Suh's career, and the subsequent one came on an illegal horsecollar tackle.

I agree that we need to protect him for the sake of his career longevity, but by the same token we can't wrap him up in cotton balls without ruining the very thing that makes him a special QB.

Which also makes it even more likely he won't have a particularly long NFL career.

3-4 more seasons?

A slower RW is a far less capable one and time and weight are already working against him.

3-4 more healthy seasons and another Super Bowl, though?

I'll take it.

3-4 more years for Russell? Where did that come from? He has never missed a game due to injury and has proven to be an effective pocket passer when needed. Hell Vick played to 37 and was still running more than Russell did. Sorry, I think you are out of luck on that call.

Be an effective pocket passer when the line looks like the door to Walmart during Black Friday.

Black friday walmart 620jt111512

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
You know, our line wasn't *that* bad last year. Yes we gave up some sacks, but some of those came from Wilson extending the play, some from holding the ball too long, and some came because over the span of around 6 games at the start of the season we faced all of the best pass rushing defensive lines in the NFL at the time.

I get that the OL was weak to start the season, but if anyone wants to go hyperbolic over it, I'd going to dismiss their entire opinion. They don't add anything to the discussion.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2sr9lrpt said:
You know, our line wasn't *that* bad last year. Yes we gave up some sacks, but some of those came from Wilson extending the play, some from holding the ball too long, and some came because over the span of around 6 games at the start of the season we faced all of the best pass rushing defensive lines in the NFL at the time.

I get that the OL was weak to start the season, but if anyone wants to go hyperbolic over it, I'd going to dismiss their entire opinion. They don't add anything to the discussion.

I'll grant you some of that. It was a bad O-Line but RW was not all that great either even before the injuries. He showed up to camp heavy and slower and made some dumb-ass decisions during games too often.

He needs to bounce back this season or the naysayers will turn into truth-tellers real quick...

purpleneer

Reaction score
Just more evidence that he cares more about how he wins than that he wins. It is by far the biggest reason other teams haven't kept Belichick from dominating the results. Trying to do it that way while straying in a key way (Jimmy Graham) is why the Hawks run hasn't progressed to becoming a dynasty.

Latest posts