Hawks should impose a deadline w/ Kam

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2e0poz07 said:
HawkFan72":2e0poz07 said:
All he has to do to count as playing a full season is be on the active roster for 6 games. So if he shows up for the final 6 weeks this season, it will count as a fully accrued season and he will get everything he is entitled to for next year.
/quote]

Do you really believe that John and Pete would bring him back at Week 10 so he could get his money? Crazy!

Yes, because the only way they could stop him would be to cut or trade him at that point.

Whenever Kam reports, it is then up to the Seahawks to honor their part of the contract. You know, the part where they agree to pay him for being there and playing?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
As for Chancellor, Davis Hsu reported that the team has offered a 70 percent waiving of his fines and a partial guarantee of his 2016 salary as an inducement to end his holdout. I cannot confirm that, and my understanding remains the team is not looking to offer Chancellor anything.

And again, the reason for that is the precedent it would set to reward a player with three years remaining on his contract for holding out. That said, there have been those around the league who have looked at what the Steelers did yesterday for Antonio Brown — taking $2 million of his 2016 salary and turning it into a signing bonus for this year — as a possible way to end the Chancellor holdout.

That’s similar to what the Seahawks did last year for Marshawn Lynch. One difference, though, is that the Seahawks have insisted the deal for Lynch was one that was already on the table prior to his holdout and not a result of the holdout itself.

There’s also a thought that this is something the team might have been amenable to prior to camp, but not now that Chancellor has held out (since the perception would be that the team caved due to the holdout instead of it being something they could have mutually agreed upon prior to the season). Such proposals, in which the team is not giving any new money to Chancellor but simply giving him some money now, seem like the most amenable way out of this for both sides.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... hancellor/

Rocket

Reaction score
I believe that the earlier wording... of both sides "digging in their heels" is key here. We have ego's in play here, Puget Sound sized ego's, and no one wants to "lose".
If Kam doesn't get a "deal", he looks bad, like he gave up... like he quit. Kam doesn't quit, he's a winner.
If Schneider gives Kam anything, then he expects the whole team to be lined up outside his office. This would mean that he loses, big time. I don't think Schneider wants to lose either, he's a winner too.

Unless a deal is done in the next day or two, I think we're all gonna have to give Kam a big ol' wave good bye.
Don't hate Kam tho... hate his agent, his adviser. I already do.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
No one is responsible for Kam's holdout but Kam. He's a man. He calls the shots. Agents can be fired.

Polaris

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":37ziplhw said:
No one is responsible for Kam's holdout but Kam. He's a man. He calls the shots. Agents can be fired.

Quite true, but I can't help but think that Kam is getting some pretty bad advice from somewhere.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":14ad8xnl said:
As for Chancellor, Davis Hsu reported that the team has offered a 70 percent waiving of his fines and a partial guarantee of his 2016 salary as an inducement to end his holdout. I cannot confirm that, and my understanding remains the team is not looking to offer Chancellor anything.

And again, the reason for that is the precedent it would set to reward a player with three years remaining on his contract for holding out. That said, there have been those around the league who have looked at what the Steelers did yesterday for Antonio Brown — taking $2 million of his 2016 salary and turning it into a signing bonus for this year — as a possible way to end the Chancellor holdout.

That’s similar to what the Seahawks did last year for Marshawn Lynch. One difference, though, is that the Seahawks have insisted the deal for Lynch was one that was already on the table prior to his holdout and not a result of the holdout itself.

There’s also a thought that this is something the team might have been amenable to prior to camp, but not now that Chancellor has held out (since the perception would be that the team caved due to the holdout instead of it being something they could have mutually agreed upon prior to the season). Such proposals, in which the team is not giving any new money to Chancellor but simply giving him some money now, seem like the most amenable way out of this for both sides.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... hancellor/

Kam kind of shot himself in the foot IMO by holding out. I think if he just showed up and participated in everything he was healthy to participate in, the team would have been much more open doing the band-aid deal.

Now if the team does that, it looks like they are doing it because of his hold-out which sets the bad precedence we absolutely have to avoid. I think they have to keep their stance on this one, no matter how much they miss Kam.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":c2jdmy7k said:
I'd say trade him. He's wasting a roster spot that you might either get used by another very good player or get what would likely be a high draft pick or so.

Get something for him given it'll just get beyond manageable if they acede to his demands.

This is a terrible idea. If Kam doesn't show up, he doesn't play. He doesn't get paid. He doesn't take a roster spot. So we gain nothing by trading him, because no one is about to trade anything of value for Chancellor THEN rework a deal with 3 years left on it. There are reasons you don't hear of other teams tearing up 5 year contracts two years into the deal -- because it simply does not happen.

Again, Kam has no leverage as of now. The only way I can possibly envision him gaining any leverage is if we come out against the Rams and Packers and Dion Bailey is absolutely abused.

Other than that.. nothing is going to change really.

Rocket

Reaction score
If ET29 is rusty, Kam will be sorely missed.
If Dion is iffy, Kam will be missed
If Earl is Earl, and Dion is decent, then Kam will be sorta missed.

Assuming Sherm will be Sherm...

I say we just make him park in visitor parking 'till he signs. No trade, no way... he!! no.

Seafan

Reaction score
Basis4day":lhiez9ix said:
StoneCold":lhiez9ix said:
Bigpumpkin":lhiez9ix said:
HawkFan72":lhiez9ix said:
All he has to do to count as playing a full season is be on the active roster for 6 games. So if he shows up for the final 6 weeks this season, it will count as a fully accrued season and he will get everything he is entitled to for next year.

Do you really believe that John and Pete would bring him back at Week 10 so he could get his money? Crazy!

Depends on the perceived need. If we are battling to get into the playoffs they would bring him back.

My brain says, "Don't cave". But my heart says, "Pay that man his money". I know it will set a bad precedent, but when I read the false report that they had extended Kam, my heart skipped a beat and did a yippee dance.

I believe that if a player wants to report then the front office can't really prevent him from doing so absent enforcement of any fines.

Not true. The commissioner can determine whether he gets reinstated and I'm sure he'd do whatever Hawk management wants.

RCATES

Reaction score
I'm just so over this whole subject at this point and as a fan I'm ready to move on without Kam on this team. Going to several Seattle team stores this past weekend really put things in perspective for me. I've been a club level season ticket holder for the past 10 years and at the end of the day this team's success is just as much about us 12s as it is the players and coaches. All 3 stores I went into last weekend had full racks of 31 in all sizes. Kam had IMO one of the best relationships with the fans as any player on the Hawks. That relationship has been diminished greatly. Money will only get you so far in this life. But your Legacy will live on forever. Kam's legacy here in Seattle has undoubtedly taken a hit. The longer this drags out the more I'm convinced that Kam simply doesn't care.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RCATES":2f56jgq9 said:
The longer this drags out the more I'm convinced that Kam simply doesn't care.

I'm not here yet.

Kam is my favorite player, he is the only jersey I have. BUT I honestly don't understand where he's coming from, or why he chose this year to make his stand.

I get he wants more money, they ALL want more money. But he and his agent still have to bring logic and reason into Kam's situation..............and the situation is he has ZERO leverage. So why hold out? If his intention is to make more money, then he's not going to accomplish that by missing game checks and getting fined.

Which is why I think in the end he's going to be here next week, or at the latest after the first game.

ringless

Reaction score
Kam's not as money hungry or greedy as a lot of people here make him out to be.

He seems to do a lot of charity. He bought backpacks and supplies for over 300 kids. He got new uniforms for his old middle school football team. He spends his valuable time participating in the community. He is actively helping the team with practice study. Clearly has an extremely positive attitude.

I just don't get the greedy, thing. He clearly isn't. Apparently it isn't about getting a raise. Its about insurance really for future injuries. Can any of you really say in his position that you wouldn't want to be insured in the event you had severe memory issues etc? His actions outside of this holdout have showed he clearly gives back to the community.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Ringless, I don't think anyone here thinks he doesn't care or give back to the community. What he seems not to care about is the team.

London12

Reaction score
He's just being a massive idiot now.

Angry AND disappointed in him.

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/639588776440786944[/tweet]

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Seahwkgal":217v3wd9 said:
Ringless, I don't think anyone here thinks he doesn't care or give back to the community. What he seems not to care about is the team.

Sorry, but I'm with Ringless on this one. I don't think he's overly greedy. People say "Oh, he's the ONLY player holding out right now!" But the truth is players hold out all the time, and for a bunch of reasons. Kam has been one of the very best players on one of the very best defenses on one of the very best teams. In history. Literally, the defense in which he is a key, integral part, is a historical defense. And he knows that with his style of play, all it takes is one good hit and it's over.

I mean, look who we compare him to: Kenny Easley. A guy who's a sure-fire Hall of Fame player... if not for a shortened career. Kam doesn't want to end up like that, but if he does, he certainly wants to be compensated for it. It's not terribly unreasonable if you look at it like that. And from what we're hearing, the two sides really aren't all that far away from each other. If what David Hsu has said about Holmgren's thoughts, they're close enough to work things out rather quickly.

If he loses a game or two holding out, it's not precedence, and it's not the end of the world, or the end of Kam's career here in Seattle. He'll be back and everything will soon be forgotten, just like with almost every other player that's held out over the years. And hopefully the extra year plus a bit more up front part of it is what happens. That's a win-win-win scenario, as I said upthread.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
He's greedy. Call it like it is. If he cared about his teammates as much as he claims he would be there like Bennett is.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Kam chancellor is suffering from a bout of bad advice. His agent will be fired. So all of your guaranteed money's done after the season right? Does anyone here, barring injury, think that we are going to cut Kam Chancellor from our team? The answer is no. In all likelihood, we would have approached him before the beginning of next season asking him for a restructuring, so that we could keep some of our other contracted players in place. At this time you give him more guaranteed money and even an extension if that's what they want to do. Then neither team nor the player are the bad guy, Chancellor saves face with the Fanbase, and the Seahawks are not caving into player demands all the time.

It's really quite simple. The only thing that messes this up is the chance of injury the season. Even then, the injury would have to be so bad that he was unable to play again. I am frustrated and angry with my favorite Seahawk player. We paid Kam elite money before Kam was elite. And this is how we're paid back. Ouch bro.