Hawks trying to trade WR Kearse

razor150

Reaction score
Yeah, the odds of this happening is fairly low. The only team likely in the market for a WR is the Patriots, but I doubt they would want Kearse.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":366a65lu said:
As you post your celebratory memes, keep in mind that hardworking Seahawks players are able to see what you're writing, and that doubling down and being a "tough, gotta earn your pay" hardass doesn't make it any less so. If you've never been on the field yourself...

So who was it that said "why would another team trade for someone we don't want" again?

Roundabout way of saying he is worthless.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If Kearse leaves the Seahawks (traded/cut/etc), watch him flourish with another NFL team just like Golden Tate did.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
kidhawk":2ps7kzpc said:
He's only saving us $2.2 million this season if we cut him. We are on the hook for the last $3.66 million of his signing bonus. Right now that means we actually lose cap space to cut or trade him.

We're on the hook either way but we save the $2.2M, so it actually does result in real cap savings.

Seymour

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1nnl2kx3 said:
Sealake80":1nnl2kx3 said:
Kearse will probably be here this year. He is underated by fans IMO.

Pete and John just checking all options. Business as usual.

More likely they are shopping him before they cut him.

Certainly a sign in that direction.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Just one source for the story and it's the sinking ship called ESPN. It's 50/50 to me whether it's fake news.

Rat

Reaction score
Darboh was already a lock, but I'd be pretty excited about getting to keep both McEvoy and Kasen. I've been predicting Kasen to be the surprise cut that everyone second guesses, but this is certainly good news for his chances.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1kacmaxf said:
kidhawk":1kacmaxf said:
He's only saving us $2.2 million this season if we cut him. We are on the hook for the last $3.66 million of his signing bonus. Right now that means we actually lose cap space to cut or trade him.

We're on the hook either way but we save the $2.2M, so it actually does result in real cap savings.

Yes, we don't have to pay him as long as we either cut him or trade him by before the season, and whether he's here or not we owe the signing bonus. Assuming he's not on the roster after the final cuts, we can either take the full hit this year or next year, but it's a large hit either way. My point was that we basically have more dead money than we are saving by being rid of him.

sutz

Reaction score
Rat":1omrluxs said:
Darboh was already a lock, but I'd be pretty excited about getting to keep both McEvoy and Kasen. I've been predicting Kasen to be the surprise cut that everyone second guesses, but this is certainly good news for his chances.
Really? I haven't seen a lot out of Darboh so far. I know "nobody cuts a 3rd rd pick" and all, but I could see it happening.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":3k189joz said:
Hawkstorian":3k189joz said:
kidhawk":3k189joz said:

Yes, we don't have to pay him as long as we either cut him or trade him by before the season, and whether he's here or not we owe the signing bonus. Assuming he's not on the roster after the final cuts, we can either take the full hit this year or next year, but it's a large hit either way. My point was that we basically have more dead money than we are saving by being rid of him.

We don't have to pay the base salary. The remaining signing bonus we eat in full immediately. Trading him basically gets us 366K which isn't even a vet minimum player salary. In fact it's not a rookie minimum either. So if we traded him for a draft pick the cost of keeping one of our rookies in his roster spot (400K+) would be a net loss in cap space.

Cutting him however would result in about 2.2M in cap space relief (able to split the remaining bonus over two years).

Unless we're talking a 5th round pick or so, then it makes more sense to just cut him and roll over the cap space or allocate it to some other player.

253hawk

Reaction score
aVOSkIC.gif

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nothing against the man as a person. I always enjoyed his "Kearse Words" segments on All Access. And yes, he has caught single-handedly 3 if not 4 of the biggest catches in franchise history.

It was his drops and disappearing too often that sealed his fate in my eyes, and apparently the FO's as well.

Good luck wherever you land Kearse. Thanks for the memories!

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
We have a logjam at wide receiver. We're going to be releasing at least one receiver who will be picked up by another team. Someone has to go, so the first thing you do is see if you can trade one.

We're not getting rid of Baldwin, Lockett, or Richardson, and of the remaining receivers the only one with any kind of trade value is Kearse. So he's the one we're shopping.

It's the logical thing to do when in the position we're in. Reading more into it is what fans do, but it's just business.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":3ai6xad4 said:
CalgaryHawk":3ai6xad4 said:
I think the Hawks would have to throw in a draft pick to entice a team to agree to take on Kearse's contract so we can clear cap space. No way a team gives US a draft pick for the "privilege" of paying Kearse starter's money.

He's only saving us $2.2 million this season if we cut him. We are on the hook for the last $3.66 million of his signing bonus. Right now that means we actually lose cap space to cut or trade him. It's worth it though if we can upgrade the WR position by keeping other guys.

How do you figure? Cut or trade and you spend the $1.8MM times two

Keep you spend the $1.8M this year plus the $2.2M for a total of four and then you spend the $1.8M next year.

Saving this year by cutting is minimal but not a loss and then factor in the saving for next year is part of the cost now.

Latest posts