HC Interview tracker (Quinn, Frank Smith, Evero, etc.)

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
The only name on this list that intrigues me is Frank Smith. He's beloved by his players, especially Darren Waller, for good reason. He also has experience with personnel that suits our roster.

“I never had a relationship with a coach like I do with Frank,” Waller said. “I honestly text him more than I text my friends. We laugh every day at practice, but I seriously respect him as a teacher and a coach and an authority figure you can talk to as a friend. Nothing’s off limits. We can be real and honest with each other about everything. That’s so important to me, having him in my life.”

When Waller was going through his battles with overcoming substance abuse and returning to football, he says Smith was one of the guys who helped him through it.

“Frank helped so much with my transition to the Raiders,” Waller said. “He has a friend that was in recovery like I am, who worked the 12-step program and went to rehab. He was able to understand me by understanding his friend. We learned a lot from each other, and he was able to welcome me in without putting too much pressure on me. But he wasn’t allowing me to be someone just happy to be there. He had me set goals, something I never did before that.

“He really opened my eyes to the fact that I could be great. I never really thought I could be great. I was too worried about all the pressure and the negative things. I never saw the game in a positive light. He helped me see that football can be so much fun if you’re not worried about things outside of what you can control.”

On the personnel side he was the run game coordinator and offensive line coach with the Chargers before joining the Dolphins. This would suit us well and help us to substain drives. I'd say that isn't a bad thing in a division with Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan. The biggest downside with him that I can find is he doesn't call plays but maybe he just needs a chance.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Seattle is going to pick someone who isn’t well known, isn’t calling plays and shock us all.

getnasty

Reaction score
I mean if Johnson and Slowik aren't at least brought in then I'm not sure John's the guy.

Reaction score
Speaking of young offensive minds - his first year as an OC across the country now… but a lot of history here for Dave Canales… I wonder if he will also get an interview.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Hmmm... Smith and Ejiro's names haven't gotten much mention around here. Smith got voted as top OC by NFLPA recently. Miami's offensive design is pretty much perfect for an offensive line that can't hold blocks for very long.

Evero was DC with Denver last year (and turned down the opp. to be interim head coach) while they valiantly tried to keep the Broncos from falling into complete irrelevance, but Carolina has been a complete dumpster fire this year. Kind of a mixed record.
That is pretty interesting on Smith. I don't know much about him other than his background is OL/TE's and he didn't call plays. Rounding out that list is Thomas Brown/Carolina at #2 worst in points, Brian Schottenheimer, Brain Callahan, Kellen Moore. 4 of the 5 weren't their teams play callers to start the season.

getnasty

Reaction score
Where did they rank in points allowed?
Horrible is points per game but actaully top 5 in yards per game. Not something you see much but probably because teams got up and just ran the ball which makes for short games.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Lefluer didn’t call plays, McDaniel didn’t call plays, Harbaugh was a special teams coach. Just something to think about.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think John believes he on point when it comes to the offensive side of the ball, I think two reasons he is looking at a lot of DC's is that strength due to our lack of defense the last few years as well as evaluations of players. Used to the teamwork doing this with Pete also.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Ok, so before everyone creams in their pants including myself. people have been whispering in McDonalds ear that if you take one of these HC gigs, they told him to strongly look at Seattle. The Seahawks is a highly desirable place to be, outstanding people in the building, passionate fan base etc...
Source?

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I think John believes he on point when it comes to the offensive side of the ball, I think two reasons he is looking at a lot of DC's is that strength due to our lack of defense the last few years as well as evaluations of players. Used to the teamwork doing this with Pete also.
Bingo. Not only that, but less chance of conflict with John's choice of QB if he hires a defensive coach. I think MM is at the top of John's list.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

Wait, what?

@Maelstrom787, I'm not on Xitter and don't know how to identify what is or is not a parody account. I know anyone who pays $8 can get any name, and that was the cause of much hilarity (and advertiser flight) in 2022, but is there a way to tell whether that's a joke account or not? I mean, no NFL team can possibly want that guy as a head coach at this point, right?

If that's the real Schefter, could he be joking or something?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Actually, Kafka has the chops. While his stint with the Giants isn't stellar, that might be more of a lack of talent issue on the team as a whole. He was the "offensive quality control coach", then the QB coach and finally the passing game coordinator for the Chiefs under Andy Reid. He received several interviews during last year's coaching carousel. I think I would rather have him than DQ.

I was disagreeing with you up until your last sentence. OK, that's setting the bar pretty low, but yeah. If the only two choices were Quinn and the Kafkaesque choice, then I guess Kafka could be the least-awful choice. But that's kind of like being asked if you'd rather eat dog turds or cat turds. The only right answer is "neither, thanks."

Last edited:

BASF

Reaction score
Waldron being so bad is coloring some ideas here. Our offense is not the problem. Also, the hot young offensive minded coaches are not fairing well in these playoffs. Offense was down this season. The pendulum is swinging back to defense and running game and I want a young brilliant defensive mind to get on top of the movement.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Waldron being so bad is coloring some ideas here. Our offense is not the problem. Also, the hot young offensive minded coaches are not fairing well in these playoffs. Offense was down this season. The pendulum is swinging back to defense and running game and I want a young brilliant defensive mind to get on top of the movement.
Old Macdonald had a farm…..get his ass here now….and on that farm he had a seaplane……Jimmy ******* graham….with a

I’m an idiot

Latest posts