Hey .NET, you're gonna want to watch buildthetip.com

Cartire

Reaction score
What the last 3 said. Ill throw on top of it, this is too soon. In no way did I feel the need to memorialize that moment in history. It was an amazing play that sent us to our first SB victory, but it honestly feels like a play that will fade in time in comparison to other great plays around the league.

I was never against it, but I was never really for it. And it looks like Im not the only one at this point.

Riley12

Reaction score
bigskydoc":15mflmei said:
I think a huge barrier is the fact that they made it a flexible funding campaign meaning that they keep the donations even if they don't meet their goal of $250,000.

- bsd

Excellent point that I hadn't even considered. Whenever I see an online campaign, I guess I just automatically assume it follows more of a fixed funding (Kickstarter) model.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Talk of a possible Paul Allen statue made me remember this "The Tip" statue idea and thread. I wondered what people's take on it is now. We are coming up on the 6-year anniversary of the Tip, and six years is the time frame that New Orleans used.

In all honesty, I was a big fan of building this statue at the time, despite my misgivings about the funding model. Now? I'm not so sure. Love Sherman for what he did for us, but he is with the Niners now. Crabtree gone. Smith gone. Niners rivalry dead(ish). It is still a prominent memory, and a critical inflection point in our run to our first Lombardi. I can't think of any other single play that so encapsulates all that this championship season entailed. I had the fortune of being just a few rows up from the play, on the SW corner of the end zone. Still, I can't honestly anymore say that I think it was a good idea.

I'm really hoping for a Paul Allen statue outside the stadium, perhaps in the North Plaza so that it is inside the fence, but outside the stadium. Love the suggestion of him standing with an open hand, waiting to shake hands with the fans. Maybe there should be a second statue by the 12 flag. I'm wondering if a Tip statue would cheapen the Allen statue.

Personally, I would rather see a LOB statue with Sherm, Kam, and Thomas, (maybe even add in Wagz, Bennett, and Avril) than a Tip statue, but I'm sure that I'm in the minority on that, given the discord in the demise of that unit.

So where are you at on this? Especially interested in hearing from fellow supporters. How has the passage of time changed your take? And for those who opposed the idea from the get go, here's your chance to maybe see a few of us eat crow.

evergreen

Reaction score
Build it. It’s the biggest sports moment in our lives and states history. And have that fan reaction video play nearby on a loop.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
I will always have my memories of our SB run and since sherm the worm is now a member of one of our most hated rivals It would be difficult if not impossible for me to support a statue of him because I believe we will be back and win another sooner rather than later so I don't need him to remember it by
Just my 2 cents
Go Hawks

AgentDib

Reaction score
A Paul Allen statue is so much more important. And once the first is done, I'd rather have a second somewhere else around the stadium over a statue honoring players who left on bad terms.

Sealake80

Reaction score
12's should be able to pose as Smith for the INT in Pictures. Could be cool.