Holy Crap: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin49

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3ifbtf4v said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3ifbtf4v said:
Popeyejones":3ifbtf4v said:
(also, seriously, I thought the Smack Shack was for just having fun and trashing people and NFL Talk was for serious discusion. Is that wrong? I don't go in Smack Shack because I'm here for the good football convo that happens).

I don't consider completely biased, staunch defense of the Niners 'good football convo'. If I wanted to read that, I'd go on the webzone. You're not as bad to be fair -- but Marvin's turning up in every thread that has barely any mention of the Niners. And I know I'm not the only one who's fed up of having threads turn into Marvin vs the world.

At the end of the day, it's a Seahawks forum for Seahawks fans. And sometimes it'd be nice to enjoy a Niners-related thread without the Black Knight telling everyone it's just a flesh wound.

I don't mind the different perspective that Marvin and Popeye (among a few others) bring. They defend their team, sure, but they're not trolls. And some of the vitriol spewed at them here from our Seahawks brethren is far worse than anything they've put on this board.

So just because they're Niners fans, we can't treat them with decency and talk a little football? If they're willing to have rational discussion (which it seems they are for the most part), that's better than an echo chamber of 12s. And hell, some of the 12s here will turn on their own if they take an unpopular viewpoint (see the "real fans" posts).

Thank You. :D

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Marvin can use Volsung's cheery words as a comforter when Jim Tomsula's coaching a 6-10 Niners team in 2015...

Marvin49

Reaction score
BTW, back on topic. More Matt Barrows...

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/ ... augh.html#

Yes, the Browns reached out to the 49ers about a possible trade for Jim Harbaugh, 49ers owner Jed York said today, but the overture was quickly turned down. York, who has had on-and-off contract discussions with Harbaugh, also reiterated what he said in December: "We want Jim to be our head coach, and we've said that very clearly."

When Pro Football Talk's initial report about about a near-trade of Harbaugh to Cleveland first surfaced Friday, York went onto Twitter to say it wasn't true. He elaborated today, confirming an earlier report in The Bee that the Browns, the only team without a head coach when the 49ers season ended Jan. 19, initially called to ask about offensive coordinator Greg Roman and defensive line coach Jim Tomsula. They followed that by asking about Harbaugh.

How far did the conversation get? "Not far at all," York said. "We had no interest in entering those discussions."

ESPN's Adam Schefter has reported that a first-round pick was not part of the compensation the Browns offered, lending credence to the stance that any trade discussion was short-lived.

Asked why he initially offered a flat denial of the PFT story, York said it's because the story wasn't true. The original story said the two sides nearly pulled off a trade for Harbaugh and that it was Harbaugh who ultimately decided not to leave the 49ers.

Asked why he waited to address the story, York said he and the 49ers have a policy to keep trade discussions private. "We keep calls to ourselves," he said. "I see no reason talking about another team - that's how we do business."

The Browns never have challenged the veracity of the original report. Owner Jimmy Haslam on Sunday told USA TODAY there was an "opportunity" to trade for Harbaugh but it "didn't materialize."

Cleveland may have seen an opportunity to land Harbaugh based on reports that initial discussions about a contract extension for Harbaugh did not go well and on talk that he and general manager Trent Baalke do not get along. The Browns also may have thought Harbaugh would want to work with their then-general manager, Mike Lombardi, a friend of Harbaugh's from their time together with the Raiders.

Both Lombardi and the man in charge of the Browns coaching search, CEO Joe Banner, were fired this month. Days after contacting the 49ers about Harbaugh, Cleveland hired Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine.

York said he would resume contract talks with Harbaugh whenever Harbaugh chooses but guessed that they wouldn't take place until after the May 8 draft. Harbaugh signed a five-year, $25 million deal in 2011, a contract that puts him in the middle of the pack as far as NFL coaches and one he's outperformed by taking his team to at least the NFC Championship game in his first three seasons.

Harbaugh and agent David Dunn, however, are seeking to make him the highest-paid coach, something the 49ers are reluctant to fulfill until they win a Super Bowl.

GCrow

Reaction score
I am thoroughly gonna enjoy kicking back and seeing this unfold.

I also cannot wait until (inevitably) though hopefully soon, Paul Allen throws a boat load of cash into Pete's extension and raise.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So, either Jed York or Jimmy Haslem are full of shit. SO far, York has changed his tune at least once, Haslem has been consistent. York initially claimed there was no merit to the reports, now he says the conversation didn't get far.

Either way, the entire Niner organization takes on the appearance of instability, which is just fine with me. Even if Harbaugh signs an extension in San Fran, every single time he acts the ass, every perceived disagreement with Baalke, every disagreement with the media takes on extra signifigance. I love it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":13jtwjik said:
So, either Jed York or Jimmy Haslem are full of shit. SO far, York has changed his tune at least once, Haslem has been consistent. York initially claimed there was no merit to the reports, now he says the conversation didn't get far.

Either way, the entire Niner organization takes on the appearance of instability, which is just fine with me. Even if Harbaugh signs an extension in San Fran, every single time he acts the ass, every perceived disagreement with Baalke, every disagreement with the media takes on extra signifigance. I love it.

I think both men are telling the truth from their perspectives.

Jed explained that the report stated that the trade was "in place" and that Harbaugh nixed it. Thats what was false and what he commented on. His only comment before the above article was "report isn't true".

Haslem said there was an "opportunity". I think that opportunity was mostly in his head, but I believe that he thought that to be true...and maybe that had something to do with why he canned Banner and Lombardi.

As for the appearance of instability, I'd be lying if I said that didn't concern me. It does. I think Harbaugh gets extended, but I have no idea what's gonna happen between Baalke and Harbaugh. Does Harbaugh leave? Does Baalke? Do they just hate each other but continue to work together anyway? Does the whole thing get blown up? Is it overblown?

Who knows. Makes me nervous though.

Marvin49

Reaction score
GCrow":2uf5w2zc said:
I am thoroughly gonna enjoy kicking back and seeing this unfold.

I also cannot wait until (inevitably) though hopefully soon, Paul Allen throws a boat load of cash into Pete's extension and raise.

Gotta say....must be nice to have an owner playing with Microsoft money. :D

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
So I guess Mike Florio isn't a rumor starting 49er hater like the idiots at Webzone believe?

Color me shocked.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3m1xhat6 said:
So I guess Mike Florio isn't a rumor starting 49er hater like the idiots at Webzone believe?

Color me shocked.

Well, what he reported appears to be false, so not sure how Florio has been vindicated. :D

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Not sure that the PFT story has been discredited. Barrows is basically the Danny O'Neal of San Francisco -- his job is solely to perpetuate Niner propaganda. He might as well write his articles on 49ers letterhead. York got caught lying on Twitter. To say otherwise is playing semantics. He knew exactly what he was inferring through his tweet. The Niners org is the only ones who stand to really lose from this story leaking, and all-out damage control is currently under way.

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1ppb8hg9 said:
Not sure that the PFT story has been discredited. Barrows is basically the Danny O'Neal of San Francisco -- his job is solely to perpetuate Niner propaganda. He might as well write his articles on 49ers letterhead. York got caught lying on Twitter. To say otherwise is playing semantics. He knew exactly what he was inferring through his tweet. The Niners org is the only ones who stand to really lose from this story leaking, and all-out damage control is currently under way.

Uh...I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I guess Peter King is just a 49ers propoganda machine as well?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Peter King's only source is York. So, he's basically just parroting what York is spreading through Niner-approved media.

Mike Sando heard rumblings of "sensational stories" about the Niners before PFT broke their story:

A high-ranking NFL personnel evaluator I ran across at the NFL scouting combine Thursday morning said he was hearing sensational stories about the San Francisco 49ers. He would not elaborate because the stories were unsubstantiated, but we can assume at least one of them found its way into the news over the weekend.

There is sensational, and then there is trade-the-head-coach sensational. Harbaugh to the Cleveland Browns by trade? The 49ers initially denied ever discussing such a transaction. The Browns issued a non-denial before their owner, Jimmy Haslam, confirmed that such discussions took place. The particulars matter less at this point than the gathering idea that Harbaugh might not be part of the longer-term future for San Francisco. It's no secret that Harbaugh and the team's executives have been unable to make progress toward a contract extension amid rumblings of friction.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Where does Jim get off thinking he should be the highest paid coach in the league when he hasn't attained the highest victory?

If you want to be paid as the best, you need to actually be the best at some point.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3q8n0ehg said:

It certainly smells like something fishy in that front office. It never really came to light why they abruptly dismissed Scot McCloughan either. York mostly dodged the media on that topic. It came out that it was due to “personal” reasons. But it was also speculated at the time that Marathe, York’s personal advisor, wanted more power in personnel decisions.

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1wafvc0k said:
Peter King's only source is York. So, he's basically just parroting what York is spreading through Niner-approved media.

Mike Sando heard rumblings of "sensational stories" about the Niners before PFT broke their story:

A high-ranking NFL personnel evaluator I ran across at the NFL scouting combine Thursday morning said he was hearing sensational stories about the San Francisco 49ers. He would not elaborate because the stories were unsubstantiated, but we can assume at least one of them found its way into the news over the weekend.

There is sensational, and then there is trade-the-head-coach sensational. Harbaugh to the Cleveland Browns by trade? The 49ers initially denied ever discussing such a transaction. The Browns issued a non-denial before their owner, Jimmy Haslam, confirmed that such discussions took place. The particulars matter less at this point than the gathering idea that Harbaugh might not be part of the longer-term future for San Francisco. It's no secret that Harbaugh and the team's executives have been unable to make progress toward a contract extension amid rumblings of friction.

So essentially York is a big fat liar and the model organization in Cleveland who's been through several head coaches, just fired most of their front office, and has an owner under indictment are the ones who are the bastions of truth.

Right.

Minus new information, I think we might have taken this conversation as far as it can go.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hoxrox":1zd5ap7a said:
Scottemojo":1zd5ap7a said:

It certainly smells like something fishy in that front office. It never really came to light why they abruptly dismissed Scot McCloughan either. York mostly dodged the media on that topic. It came out that it was due to “personal” reasons. But it was also speculated at the time that Marathe, York’s personal advisor, wanted more power in personnel decisions.

The 49ers have never been specific, but the rumors out here were that he had issues with Alcohol. He supposedly showed up late to the combine and was drunk in meetings.

Brahn

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3jnjzo21 said:
Where does Jim get off thinking he should be the highest paid coach in the league when he hasn't attained the highest victory?

If you want to be paid as the best, you need to actually be the best at some point.

Because he not only coaches football but also connects perfectly with the 3-14 year old demographic based on his on field antics. Those kids will one day be the spenders. I still think Harbaugh was robbed by 8 year old Kim Anderson when she won the ESPY for Best Tantrum 2012. He is to hoping he wins it this year, maybe he can be Kaeps date...if Kaep will allow him to roll in khakis and sans shades inside. What award did #7 win last year anyways?

hoxrox

Reaction score
Marvin49":dphr1xvy said:
hoxrox":dphr1xvy said:
Scottemojo":dphr1xvy said:

The 49ers have never been specific, but the rumors out here were that he had issues with Alcohol. He supposedly showed up late to the combine and was drunk in meetings.

So you are admitting that they have not been totally open or transparent with the media.

Dun dun dun…. :stirthepot: :snack:

Marvin49

Reaction score
hoxrox":2fdi3j5w said:
Marvin49":2fdi3j5w said:
hoxrox":2fdi3j5w said:
Scottemojo":2fdi3j5w said:

So you are admitting that they have not been totally open or transparent with the media.

Dun dun dun…. :stirthepot: :snack:

Holy Cow....of COURSE not. LOL.

Getting anything from the 49ers is almost impossible. That doesn't mean they are lying though. It means they give as little information as possible.

With McCloughan, they just never specified what happened. It was always the rumor that there were substance issues with Scot but the 49ers of course never commented on it.

I liked the guy and thought he was a very good GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.