Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1t6rka3g said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1t6rka3g said:
Marvin49":1t6rka3g said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1t6rka3g said:
The 49ers have been talking extension with Harbaugh since last season. This incident doesn't start those talks. He was going to get extended this offseason anyway.

I honestly think that the Texas talk and the Browns talk has much more to do with leverage than anything else. If Harbaugh did initiate talks (which I highly doubt) the 49ers may have just called his bluff and said "go ahead" and he backed down.

That's just speculation. The 49ers may very well tire oh the constant rumors eventually, but my guess is he'll get a big extension soon.

Hqdefault

How original.

Head in sand

I like how your posts never have any substance. Makes them so easy to dismiss.

Speaking of that....welcome to my ignore list. I know. Your heartbroken.
Welcome to the club English, your membership card is in the mail. :)
The more I read Marvin's posts defending everything whiner related I'm thinking he is the offspring of Baghdad Bob and Bill O'rielly. Spin spin spin away Marvin!

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
I think there was some truth to the story about the discussions with the Browns but it was probably somewhat overblown about how far they went. There are enough rumors floating around, though, that makes me think that there are real problems down in Ninerville. I know that Colin Cowherd has tweeted:

Re JHarbaugh story---this I know--he wears people out. Did at Stanford and has w 49ers. Was told at Super Bowl there wz some friction in SF

So Harbaugh is an abrasive personality who's hard to work with? Who would have guessed? Whether that will be enough for them to allow a successful coach to move on sooner rather than later, I don't know. My guess is that if York has to choose between Baalke and Harbaugh then Harbaugh will be the one jettisoned. York probably figures he has enough talent to win with another coach who is less of a PITA. Preferably Marty Schottenheimer.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":19pe5k5d said:
The more I read Marvin's posts defending everything whiner related I'm thinking he is the offspring of Baghdad Bob and Bill O'rielly. Spin spin spin away Marvin!
Would that mean that this is his favorite band?
[youtube]PN7Dcottl-8[/youtube]

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami 21h
Many 49ers fans understand the volatility of Harbaugh/Baalke/York. A few do not and... man are they going to be surprised at some point.

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami 20h
Harbaugh flock screams this is all media vendetta vs. JH. Umm, do you know local media gets along with him better than many 49ers employees?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ could be true obviously, but Kawakami saying something isn't a good reason to believe it's true. There are a bunch of 9ers beat reporters in the Bay Area who prove themselves as reliable over and over again, but Kawakami isn't one of them, and doesn't even cover the 9ers. Listen to the reporting of Maiocco, Barrows, Branch and Inman. Lowell & Grant Cohn and Kawakami don't actually quote sources. They just opinion troll for attention. Kawakami has been this way in the Bay Area sports scene since before Harbaugh was even coaching at University of San Diego. Kawakami is on vacation right now and is just jumping on this because he thinks it validates him from back in December. Anything ever about a Baalke/Harbaugh rift (which may be true) goes back to Kawakami. His opinion piece from a couple days ago which he even repeatedly labeled as fully speculative within the piece has started to get relabeled as fact and based on reporting in the past day and a half. If you follow all the links back they all end up at that piece though.

So yeah, very well might be true, but Kawakami saying it's true -- and being the only who is claiming this despite never claiming that it's actually coming from a source -- doesn't really tell us anything either way. My guess is he heard something from someone but never actually investigatedit because he doesn't cover the 9ers and is just running witth the attention. I'm assuming seattle has these types of guys as well?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":scol5jwd said:
^^^^ could be true obviously, but Kawakami saying something isn't a good reason to believe it's true. There are a bunch of 9ers beat reporters in the Bay Area who prove themselves as reliable over and over again, but Kawakami isn't one of them, and doesn't even cover the 9ers. Listen to the reporting of Maiocco, Barrows, Branch and Inman. Lowell & Grant Cohn and Kawakami don't actually quote sources. They just opinion troll for attention. Kawakami has been this way in the Bay Area sports scene since before Harbaugh was even coaching at University of San Diego. Kawakami is on vacation right now and is just jumping on this because he thinks it validates him from back in December. Anything ever about a Baalke/Harbaugh rift (which may be true) goes back to Kawakami. His opinion piece from a couple days ago which he even repeatedly labeled as fully speculative within the piece has started to get relabeled as fact and based on reporting in the past day and a half. If you follow all the links back they all end up at that piece though.

So yeah, very well might be true, but Kawakami saying it's true -- and being the only who is claiming this despite never claiming that it's actually coming from a source -- doesn't really tell us anything either way. My guess is he heard something from someone but never actually investigatedit because he doesn't cover the 9ers and is just running witth the attention. I'm assuming seattle has these types of guys as well?

Ah, so it's the media's fault. Got it. :34853_doh: :roll:
I think you and your buddy Marv are going to be the most shocked/stunned when the crap really hits the fan down there and someone gets canned/quits.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have a bit of understanding about news, Ken Behring, Bob Whitsitt, Mike Holmgren, Tim Ruskell, Tom Flores, Dennis Erickson, to name a few that were brought up in the media at some point and be it rumor or innuendo had a bit of smoke that turned into fire.

Add the Sonics and Mariner history to our local base of fans for all those and we sniff this stuff out pretty quick and can see that it's never a good thing when management and coaches have issues big enough to become news items.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":1rxe9mcw said:
We have a bit of understanding about news, Ken Behring, Bob Whitsitt, Mike Holmgren, Tim Ruskell, Tom Flores, Dennis Erickson, to name a few that were brought up in the media at some point and be it rumor or innuendo had a bit of smoke that turned into fire.

Add the Sonics and Mariner history to our local base of fans for all those and we sniff this stuff out pretty quick and can see that it's never a good thing when management and coaches have issues big enough to become news items.
:sarcasm_on: But, but, but, Chris this is all the media making things up, or it's a D-Baugh power play for more $$$$$$! :sarcasm_off: Pffffttttttt! Lots of wishful/hopeful thinking going on down there in whinerland!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Jimmy Haslam (Browns owner) confirms there were talks but the deal never materialized

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2meog2ih said:
-The Glove-":2meog2ih said:
Jimmy Haslam (Browns owner) confirms there were talks but the deal never materialized

He's a lying liar just like Tim Kawakami!

But Jed York said it wasn't true FIRST!!!!

Marvin49

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2pjodl3l said:

Actually he said there was an "opportunity". No idea what that means. Still seems odd to me that it never materialized and then all of the sudden Banner and Lombardi were canned.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Marvin49":1vvtrkm8 said:
-The Glove-":1vvtrkm8 said:

Actually he said there was an "opportunity". No idea what that means. Still seems odd to me that it never materialized and then all of the sudden Banner and Lombardi were canned.

No shit...one could reasonably guess that an "opportunity" would mean the Niners reached out to the Browns and not the other way around

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Marvin49":26cgjcvv said:
-The Glove-":26cgjcvv said:

Do you think that it's more likely that CLE reached out about Harbaugh first, or that someone over in SF, whether Harbaugh or Baalke or whoever, floated the Harbaugh idea first?

I think I know your answer (Lombardi asked Harbaugh to come over to CLE), but I'm curious to hear what you really think.

chris98251

Reaction score
smoke_clip.jpg

To be followed by :

fire.jpg

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":zze5veqq said:
Marvin49":zze5veqq said:
-The Glove-":zze5veqq said:

Do you think that it's more likely that CLE reached out about Harbaugh first, or that someone over in SF, whether Harbaugh or Baalke or whoever, floated the Harbaugh idea first?

I think I know your answer (Lombardi asked Harbaugh to come over to CLE), but I'm curious to hear what you really think.

I think it was initiated by Cleveland. I'm sure that shocks you. :D

I think one of a couple things happened.

In any of these circumstances I think this was initiated by Banner/Lombardi to save their jobs and it obviously failed. The thing I really can't get around is that if the 49ers wanted him gone, he'd be gone. Simple as that

Scenario 1) 49ers have no interest in this and they basically just did the prudent thing and heard the Browns out. They asked Harbaugh and he said no.

Scenario 2) Harbaugh is looking for leverage. Michigan Rumors, Texas Rumors, and now these Browns rumors. Maybe Harbaugh tried to drum up a situation where the 49ers would feel compelled to give Harbaugh the $$$ he wants. 49ers get sick of all the rumors and essentially said "go ahead" and called his bluff. He backs down and Banner and Lombardi pay the price. That all seems less likely.

Scenario 3) The 49ers want to dump Harbaugh. If this is true, it sucks. It just doesn't make sense to me. If they wanted him gone, he'd be gone. They could lower their demand. If the Browns had no interest (which I doubt), then the 49ers can let him walk.

It could be a combination of all those things

This much is clear...SOMETHING took place in regards to a trade. I think the level of interest was higher on the Browns end than the 49ers end, but I can't prove that. That's just what makes sense. The only way this seems to add up to me is if the Browns made a serious attempt, the 49ers considered it at some level, and then gave Harbaugh the opportunity to make the call. I could be wrong, but that's the only way this makes any sense to me.

drdiags

Reaction score
The article where Haslam was a little vague about the type of discussions, though the article's title doesn't match what is in the article. Also see this was being discussed a few posts back.

San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York flatly denied his team ever discussed trading coach Jim Harbaugh to the Cleveland Browns. Harbaugh echoed York's denial.

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam has a different story. In fact, Haslam confirmed the two teams did discuss a deal that would've rocked the NFL.

"There was an opportunity there, and it didn't materialize," Haslam told USA Today in a Sunday report.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-haslam-confirms-browns-talked-harbaugh-trade

Status
Not open for further replies.