How long are you going to watch the Hawks?

Crizilla

Reaction score
I'll always love gridiron football but there are definitely more important things in life. I'm all for making the game safer. Will it make it not as fun to watch? Probably. I miss kick offs.

How many would continue as fans if they moved away from Seattle?
Not me. Just like how I don't really care for the Thunder. I remember some Sonic fans who immediately bought Thunder gear and watched every game. I couldn't do it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
my prior comment was truly just meant as sarcasm. (The second part of it) but I’ll add, for me there’s always been an emotional connect of some kind as it relates to fond memories with my grandfather and going out to Cheney and getting autographs, watching the players practice, talking to them, seeing the joy in my grandfathers face and the fact It was a tradition for my grandfather and I to go every day and each year they were in Cheney. And He was a Season ticket holder so I’d always have a chance to go to games as well.

Now that he’s passed watching these games keeps the feeling of being with him and connected still. And after reading everyone else’s posts it seems for the most part in someway a few are connected to the team in some way like the above.
that's some pretty touching stuff....

similar to my memories of watching in my grandfather's den in the 70's.....

hawkfan68

Reaction score
LOL Yeah, I want to be the Owner of the Seattle Seahawks in my next life...Ya Hear Me GOD???
I want to be the owner of the Seattle Seahawks in this life. I'm working my way toward it. And when I do, I'll offer the opportunity for each one of you to be honorary season ticket holders for life. I bleed Blue and Green; sometimes purple and gold (college team only) since my family moved to Seattle in 1977.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I agree. And look how many responses it got! It must be a slow news day.
I didn't think it was that silly.

The game has been watered down. It is becoming less entertaining. They are going to continue to do that. Flag football pro bowl? Never thought I'd see it - well, I didn't bother - so -

It's like the old riddle about replacing parts on a car/boat/whatever. At what point when you've replaced enough parts is the vehicle no longer the 'same' vehicle.

Once they change the game enough - it's no longer the same game. I get why they are doing it. I just hate it. And, at some point will relegate it to background type noise. You can't tackle the QB. You can't dominate crossing routes Kam style on D. All kicks will eventually be removed, including field goals. Nerf helmets.... etc etc etc. Jesus - just go back and watch from 5 or 6 years ago.

I'm just sayin - at some point (and this isn't about a slow news day at all - the post was borne from seeing a picture of the goddamned nerf helmets on Calgary Stampede players here) - there's not going to be enough left of the game to watch. At least for me. Exactly when that is - I don't know. I hate to say that the pussification of the game has exponentially lept ahead here in Canada. I have literally TRIED to watch our 3 down step-child in the past two years. And I just can't do it. CFL used to pride itself on not having a fair catch rule. Those days are long Fing gone.

What I do know: Pete brought me back from the Mora abyss. We never travelled back to Seattle for a game after the last Mora loss that we had. I told the wife - "I'm not paying to come see this shit". PC brought me back with his energy - and when that's gone.... well... it all adds up.

Not hatin. Just sayin.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The game has been watered down. It is becoming less entertaining. They are going to continue to do that. Flag football pro bowl? Never thought I'd see it - well, I didn't bother - so -

The overly complicated officiating is IMO what's ruining the game, not the watering down of hitting, etc as much.

I get that the NFL is trying to be safer so they actually have a product to sell in the future. At least that parts understandable, protecting their brand, product and game.

But the insane number of new subjective rules implemented making it utterly impossible for these old ass officials to do a good job week to week and game to game?

THAT'S going to drive away fans, not the game itself.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The overly complicated officiating is IMO what's ruining the game, not the watering down of hitting, etc as much.

I get that the NFL is trying to be safer so they actually have a product to sell in the future. At least that parts understandable, protecting their brand, product and game.

But the insane number of new subjective rules implemented making it utterly impossible for these old ass officials to do a good job week to week and game to game?

Agreed. Along with the premise of subjective calls, I'd add that the consistency is not there. Sometimes it differs from call to call (within the same game). It shouldn't be that difficult to be consistent. But somehow it is for the current officials.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Agreed. Along with the premise of subjective calls, I'd add that the consistency is not there. Sometimes it differs from call to call (within the same game). It shouldn't be that difficult to be consistent. But somehow it is for the current officials.

You're allowed to hold, but not too long, but only within 5 yards, but if it's the 4th quarter or final drive we'll look the other way, but only in nationally televised games, but if the WR holds back we won't call it, or we'll call it on the WR, but only if it's not a popular WR, and only if it's against a rookie DB....................but...................

This is why.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

I've read things that say that the rules changes aren't really about safety as much as taking the 'random' elements out for Vegas. I always liked sherm and angrydoug - "if the league cared about player safety, would there be thursday night games? two games in a week - doesn't seem like they care about player safety too much, does it (cardboard cut out) doug?".

And, I put some stock in that.

I think they want to call games purely on betting lines. Taking all the 'chance' out of it - and I'm not arguing against my original concept - just saying that I think it's 'both' watering down and giving the Refs a steering wheel. When things get complicated, things get subjective, and outcomes get fixed.

Then there's the whole full time refs line of thinking - and the fact that they just keep a few bad crews up their sleeves for 'important' games. Munich anyone?

;)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I've read things that say that the rules changes aren't really about safety as much as taking the 'random' elements out for Vegas. I always liked sherm and angrydoug - "if the league cared about player safety, would there be thursday night games? two games in a week - doesn't seem like they care about player safety too much, does it (cardboard cut out) doug?".

I think they want to call games purely on betting lines. Taking all the 'chance' out of it - and I'm not arguing against my original concept - just saying that I think it's 'both' watering down and giving the Refs a steering wheel. When things get complicated, things get subjective, and outcomes get fixed.

Then there's the whole full time refs line of thinking - and the fact that they just keep a few bad crews up their sleeves for 'important' games. Munich anyone?

;)

Well if that's the conspiracy theory, then it's horribly backfired on the league and Vegas. The officiating is the most randomly chaotic it's ever been.

IMO it's FAR more about keeping the stars of the league healthy and upright bringing in high ratings and keeping the billion dollar industry of things like fantasy football/gambling humming like a well oiled machine, rather than safety.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I didn't think it was that silly.

It's like the old riddle about replacing parts on a car/boat/whatever. At what point when you've replaced enough parts is the vehicle no longer the 'same' vehicle.

Once they change the game enough - it's no longer the same game. I get why they are doing it. I just hate it. And, at some point will relegate it to background type noise. You can't tackle the QB. You can't dominate crossing routes Kam style on D. All kicks will eventually be removed, including field goals. Nerf helmets.... etc etc etc. Jesus - just go back and watch from 5 or 6 years ago.

I'm just sayin - at some point (and this isn't about a slow news day at all - the post was borne from seeing a picture of the goddamned nerf helmets on Calgary Stampede players here) - there's not going to be enough left of the game to watch. At least for me. Exactly when that is - I don't know. I hate to say that the pussification of the game has exponentially lept ahead here in Canada. I have literally TRIED to watch our 3 down step-child in the past two years. And I just can't do it. CFL used to pride itself on not having a fair catch rule. Those days are long Fing gone.

What I do know: Pete brought me back from the Mora abyss. We never travelled back to Seattle for a game after the last Mora loss that we had. I told the wife - "I'm not paying to come see this shit". PC brought me back with his energy - and when that's gone.... well... it all adds up.

Not hatin. Just sayin.
It might not have been silly if you were to ask the question in some other venue, like at a drag show, but it was very silly to ask that question in a forum composed of almost exclusively dedicated football fans.

I understand, and in some cases, sympathize with your agnst over some of the changes we've witnessed. While I accept that a lot of the safety-orientated rules, particularly those involving contact around the head and neck area, are necessary and prudent, I don't like the rules protecting the QB as IMO they aren't as much about player safety as they are about keeping the 'star' system intact so as to support their TV ratings.

But it's going to have to be watered down one helluva lot more, like going to flag football or some sort of non-contact version, for me to ever give it up, and I feel pretty comfortable in saying that most of the posters in this forum likely feel the same way.

I'm actually of the opposite persuasion with regards to Pete. While I deeply appreciate the fact that he's given us the best period of Seahawk football in franchise history....and I go back to the get-go in 1976...it's my opinion that it's time for him to step aside and let a new coach introduce the next generation of Seahawk football.

But whether he steps aside tomorrow or coaches for another 20 years, I'll still be a Seahawk fan.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
I've been a fan since the early 80's and weathered it all up until the rape that was SB XL. After that I was done. My son was 5 at the time and that completely destroyed my plans for sharing my fandom with him. It is just way too hard to explain to a child that you are raising to be a decent person that something you care about is so corrupt.

When I heard PC was hired I had to come back but the innocence is lost. Bitter sweet symphony really was the perfect song for our Super Bowl win. Yes we won, but it just doesn't mean as much as it should have. There is a part of me that is still repulsed by the fact that PC built a "Dark Side" team to take cheating off the table but I also respect him for understanding that cheating is the reason we lost.

Honestly, my heart isn't really in it anymore. I really miss supporting the Seahawks, win or lose, just because of their strong moral character and role model players. Our team used to represent what I loved the most about the PNW, the awesome people.

Largent's revenge is still my favorite play of all time. It is really sad how faking, lying and cheating has devalued so many aspects of life.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It is sad how faking, lying and cheating has devalued so many aspects of life.

The NFL openly pumped their players full of roids and painkillers to keep them upright each week, with owners, GM's and coaches who were openly racist, sexist and corrupt.

Hell, it's how leagues are formed. Greedy corrupt rich dudes who want to get even richer off of suspect business dealings and treating people awful.

So to think there was some golden age of purity with the NFL is naive. I'm sure there's still some of this going on, we know there is with disgusting owners like Snyder, and coaches who get called out like Gruden. But I betcha it's a cleaner sport than it was when you're talking about being a big fan.

You just weren't aware of most of it due to the modern age of internet/information and being young.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
It might not have been silly if you were to ask the question in some other venue, like at a drag show, but it was very silly to ask that question in a forum composed of almost exclusively dedicated football fans.
Well, those are two very different venues. I don't go to the library much. Honestly - it's not a stupid question.

But it's going to have to be watered down one helluva lot more, like going to flag football or some sort of non-contact version, for me to ever give it up, and I feel pretty comfortable in saying that most of the posters in this forum likely feel the same way.
Flags are comin. QB's first. Book it. Within 2 or 3 years.

JPatera76

Reaction score
How many would continue as fans if they moved away from Seattle?
I do, even in Iowa I find my way and the In-laws have become "dual fans" i don't blame them as they're naturally Bears fans... which is only I'd say a few steps higher than Texans and Browns fans.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The NFL openly pumped their players full of roids and painkillers to keep them upright each week, with owners, GM's and coaches who were openly racist, sexist and corrupt.

Hell, it's how leagues are formed. Greedy corrupt rich dudes who want to get even richer off of suspect business dealings and treating people awful.

So to think there was some golden age of purity with the NFL is naive. I'm sure there's still some of this going on, we know there is with disgusting owners like Snyder, and coaches who get called out like Gruden. But I betcha it's a cleaner sport than it was when you're talking about being a big fan.

You just weren't aware of most of it due to the modern age of internet/information and being young.
And, it's not just in the NFL. Without diverting the thread, nearly every aspect of society has had their share of corruption
Well, those are two very different venues. I don't go to the library much. Honestly - it's not a stupid question.

Flag football within 2-3 years? What was it that you were saying about silly questions?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I’ll watch them until I’m dead or they do something irrevocably bad like change the NFL to flag football. Or sell the team and move them to any place but Seattle, Portland or LA.

The bigger question for me is how long will I keep my season tickets. I’m thinking about revisiting that once this rebuild is over. If it doesn’t produce a great team, I may finally bail. It’s not cheap especially coming from Vancouver.

BASF

Reaction score

;)
There is less padding and harder collisions in hockey. Games on back to back nights are common. Three games in four days happened more than a dozen times last season for most teams. Sherman is definitely overstating his position.