How to get out of the funk?

BlueThunder

Reaction score
But we BLEW OUR CHANCE TO THREE-PETE!!! BUWHAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! RARE AIR INDEED GONE!!!

I don't see EVER getting over this...

I honestly feel at least AS BAD as a close friend dying... THIS SUCKS!!!

In a dark place. And I don't like it. at all.

I'm sure we don't feel as bad as Packer fans, and thus my feelings for them... But DAMN this is brutal...

I literally have to duck into the bathroom at work to sob quietly, then visine my eyes... THAT's how bad it is for me. My head is not geared for this kind of tragedy. I'm having a real difficult time with it... I mean for real... Everybody at work knows how much of a die-hard I am... I mean, I AM the guy...

Everybody's been avoiding talking to me, even though I'm putting on my fake "Nothin's wrong with me" face... I don't think I'm foolin' anybody...

:cry:

So... Why do I watch this game? Anyone wanna remind me? 'Cause this is pretty messed up right here...

Jville

Reaction score
Kick back with the Wolfman ......
[youtube]WiFAYQBZG7M[/youtube]

canhawkfan

Reaction score
listening to Russ today really helped in moving forward.
we all need to realize we are in the best stretch of seahawks football ever.

I cant wait for next season now!!

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
I watched a fantastic football movie on Netflix tonight called "undefeated". Check it out, it actually helped a little bit.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
The drama of our Seahawks' season has played like a Greek tragedy. From the rising action in the early scenes with the Harvin fiasco to our ultra dire 3-3 breaking point to finding our lost love (our power running identity) in Act 2 to our near death experience in Kansas City to our resurgence and hope as Act 3 began with us destroying our foes on the battlefield to the ultra miracle of the NFCCG and the final scenes of our war for Championship freedom and ultimate victory finally in sight as we charge our army head on and right before their final troops surrender, in the final twist of the story our emperor unexpectedly sends in our jester on a mule (the playcall, I'm not referring to a player) to fight head on the enemy's last platoon while our mighty warrior on a dark horse is inexplicably sent to the flank where the enemy no longer lies. And right before the final curtain the enemy predictably overpowers the jester and our entire army is instantly defeated and the audience is left to question the emperor's intentions.

The devastation and sheer heartbreak that our loss left all of Hawk Nation can't be understated. Everyone deals with it in their own way. There is a part of me though that will never truly get over the pain of this game by the way we lost due to coaching incompetence. Even the Atlanta loss and XL loss combined do not come anywhere near the anger, gloominess and unanswered questions left with this game. I've been a fan of the Hawks since I was a toddler and rooting for Patera from my rocking horse in the late 70s but I am not one to simply forget this game, look forward to next year already and just be happy we have a good team. I proudly attended the welcoming of the players yesterday at the VMAC and am so proud of their effort in the game. But the agony of seeing our warrior Lynch not even given the chance to win the game will be forever haunting. He earned the right to be the hero. I don't know what if anything can get get me out of this Seahawk funk. Life will go on and I'll cheer them on next year but the memory will remain. I place the loss solely on the coaches and that's what has me in the funk more than anything. Here's to a better 2015.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
twelthmanfan":13dmmpm3 said:
Some people saying we will never be the same. Look at NE. They lost two heartbreakers to the Giants and they bounced back. Enough, we will be better next year.

Great point.

The fact of the matter is that while lots of people are arguing that getting back to a SB is very hard, it's not a random process. The team we just lost to has been there 6 times in 14 years, and they've been to the AFC Championship 9 times in that span. They didn't just get lucky each time. They've got coaching in place. They have a QB in place. They have a philosophy they stick to and players that buy in to that philosophy each season. All of those factors lead to repeatable results.

That's what we're starting to see with the Seahawks. It's not a fluke that we've been to the Divisional round of the playoffs or beyond in each of the last three years. We've got our system in place, the players to fit that system, the coaching to develop those players, etc. We have our philosophy and our identity, and making a mistake in the SB doesn't eliminate that. As long as we have continuity in our coaching, in our philosophy, and in our core group of stars, there's no reason we shouldn't be in the thick of the hunt every season for the next 8-10 years.

Obviously, that doesn't guarantee that we'll make it back to the SB or even make it to the playoffs each year. But the indications are that we're seeing a process at work here, employed successfully, to keep us contenders for a long time. This isn't lightning in a bottle, folks. This is the time when Seattle re-writes the history of the league and adds itself to the league's "marquee" teams.

JonRud

Reaction score
I am surprised a lot of people are taking this harder than XL. For me nothing will ever be worse than that. We had never won a Super Bowl and were not given a chance to win in that game due to blatantly biased officiating. The NFL stole our chance to win a Super Bowl.

As painful as this Super Bowl is, we have nobody to blame but the Hawks themselves, the players & coaches. Injuries to the defense were too much to overcome and the Pats made a great play on the INT. Yes you can hate the playcall, blame Lockette, blame Kearse, but at least the loss is ON the Seahawks, they were just a bit short this time but they played their ass off.

Plus we just won the Super Bowl a year ago. For me at least that takes away a lot of the sting. After XL I was miserable for years and years. I am already starting to heal from XLIX and looking forward to a great 2015.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Want to feel better? Then decide to feel better and then... FEEL BETTER.

This is where the act of choosing comes in. If you're still in a funk on Tuesday or Wednesday then it's because you want to be in a funk. Which is fine, but the way to get over it is to decide to be over it.

netskier

Reaction score
Focus upon the thongs that you personally can control. Focus on loving the Hawks; no one can stop you from this.

Stop hating the other teams and their hands. They can not hurt you if you do not care about them.

Memorize this, and repeat thinking this when needed: "Be a fan, but not a fanatic.".

Hawks46

Reaction score
Gronkzilla":32prli0f said:
The Seahawks have a young, talented, confident and hungry team. This loss hurts and makes you want to not watch any sports news for about 6 months (I know from 3 separate occasions... 96, 07, 11). However your team will be back at this level again soon and will have redemption on the brain.

It hurts now because that is the life of a fan. Ups and downs for a fan is what makes you passionate. You've suffered through the bad and experienced the great. The great thing about the NFL is that there is a brand new season waiting to be won next year.

So while grieving is completely normal, make sure you think about the future and that you have a season still to look forward to (Draft is in 2-3 months :) ). The future is still bright as hell in the pacific northwest in terms of football.

Great game by the way!

Cheers!

Great post. There are still a lot of bitter fans, don't take any hostility personal.

He summed it up for me. I look at next year. We're going to be in the hunt for a SB, and for quite a while. Here's a few things to make you happy:

1. Our team plays better with a chip on it's shoulder. This will make us as hungry as 2013.

2. We're a very young team, and all the great players are locked up long term. The ones that aren't, will be as we have the cap space to do it.

3. We are one of the best drafting teams in the NFL. We're going to reload and find as good or better talent than what we're losing. Book it.

netskier

Reaction score
Pesky phone typos.

Things, not thongs, but I guess thongs will take your mind of the Hawks.

Teams and their fans. Not their hands unless they are giving you the finger.

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
netskier":2w26vbio said:
Focus upon the thongs that you personally can control. Focus on loving the Hawks; no one can stop you from this.

Stop hating the other teams and their hands. They can not hurt you if you do not care about them.

Memorize this, and repeat thinking this when needed: "Be a fan, but not a fanatic.".

Focus upon THONGS that you can control. Promiscuity heals all wounds?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JonRud":1epiqv19 said:
I am surprised a lot of people are taking this harder than XL. For me nothing will ever be worse than that. We had never won a Super Bowl and were not given a chance to win in that game due to blatantly biased officiating. The NFL stole our chance to win a Super Bowl.

As painful as this Super Bowl is, we have nobody to blame but the Hawks themselves, the players & coaches. Injuries to the defense were too much to overcome and the Pats made a great play on the INT. Yes you can hate the playcall, blame Lockette, blame Kearse, but at least the loss is ON the Seahawks, they were just a bit short this time but they played their ass off.

Plus we just won the Super Bowl a year ago. For me at least that takes away a lot of the sting. After XL I was miserable for years and years. I am already starting to heal from XLIX and looking forward to a great 2015.
I agree 100% with this entire post Jon. This isn't as hard as the screwing that was XL* though it certainly isn't easy either.
One other thing that helps me is knowing that our Hawks were pretty fortunate to even be in the game. Green Bay outplayed Seattle in the NFCCG.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
Last year was amazing????

Now there's your problem. This year was also amazing, and in some ways more so than 2013. Look what we did... bounced back from a very rocky start, beat the 49rs twice, ending their legacy, remember the Thanksgiving game and the Turkey dinner on the SF logo? Does it get any better than Sherman hoisting that turkey up? Putting up a record total yards than any Seahawks game ever when they clobbered the Cardinals. dAnd we won the most amazing Conference Championship game ever, one worthy of a sports movie plot. And who would argue that that wasn't the most exciting Super Bowl ever.
No sir, if we can only have an amazing year when we get to the Super Bowl a blow out the other team, then you may have a long wait.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
How do I cope with the heartbreaking ending? The same way the Seahawks do, by getting back to our normal lives. Nothing like a day golfing with friends, or the smell of Balistol that you are cleaning your guns with after a day on the range, that can make pain seam so distant. And Draft day will be here soon enough, and we can start our excitement about the 2015 season and discuss who we picked up.

12thbrah

Reaction score
We're just starting our 3-4 year championship window. We'll be back on top before you know it. I'm more excited to see what this team is capable of next season when they'll be playing angry and motivated.

Heyseed

Reaction score
"Did you ever hear about the BIG one that got away?"

.Net has been good medicine and mental therapy for the Super Jilt
Thank you

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
We need to not lose the "Whats Next?" attitude.

March 10 Free Agency begins. Who will Seattle pick up?

April 30 NFL Draft, Seahawks have 31st pick in the first round.

Reaction score
This is a great effin' thread!
Especially this:
Gronkzilla":43d3agzb said:
The Seahawks have a young, talented, confident and hungry team...
Great game by the way!
Cheers!
And this:
West TX Hawk":43d3agzb said:
The drama of our Seahawks' season has played like a Greek tragedy... Here's to a better 2015.
And this:
JonRud":43d3agzb said:
I am surprised a lot of people are taking this harder than XL. For me nothing will ever be worse than that. We had never won a Super Bowl and were not given a chance to win in that game due to blatantly biased officiating. The NFL stole our chance to win a Super Bowl... I am already starting to heal from XLIX and looking forward to a great 2015.
I wear XL around my neck, just like I wear losing the Sonics around my neck. They weigh me down.
This one feels like just another loss of a game that we were in right up till the end. And I'd rather lose a game that we were in right up till the end than to lose a game that we were out of in the second quarter.
We (the organization) will hopefully learn and not make the same mistakes again, next year. We'll make different mistakes and still, hopefully, be in it right up till the end.
Okay, now...when's the draft??? ;)

Go Hawks,
BillA

Latest posts