I dont understand the optimism after an "almost win"?

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":1ggtq9jr said:
And I'm a little tired of the old "optimism" vs "realism" debate. Those are NOT mutually exclusive points of view.

Frankly, I think a "realistic" point of view would acknowledge where we played well, regardless of final score.

I certainly see most of the "optimists" around here, including myself, acknowledging that yes, improvements need to be made. As a fan, though, I just can't fall into that "we lost therefore we suck" mindset.

I mean, do people really think that every team in the league is gonna lay a 30 burger on us? After Sunday, I don't think so.

I agree 100%. It's entirely possible (I'd say even likely) that a person can be both unhappy that we lost and optimistic about the team. One really has little to do with the other.

pmedic920

Reaction score
kidhawk":3pei4i6d said:
sutz":3pei4i6d said:
And I'm a little tired of the old "optimism" vs "realism" debate. Those are NOT mutually exclusive points of view.

Frankly, I think a "realistic" point of view would acknowledge where we played well, regardless of final score.

I certainly see most of the "optimists" around here, including myself, acknowledging that yes, improvements need to be made. As a fan, though, I just can't fall into that "we lost therefore we suck" mindset.

I mean, do people really think that every team in the league is gonna lay a 30 burger on us? After Sunday, I don't think so.

I agree 100%. It's entirely possible (I'd say even likely) that a person can be both unhappy that we lost and optimistic about the team. One really has little to do with the other.

Zactly.
:{)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2aljaumz said:
Uncle Si":2aljaumz said:
Sgt. Largent":2aljaumz said:
Optimism is born out of low expectations.

If you think you're gonna get killed 42-7, and you have a chance to win at the end..........voila, optimism.

But yes, there's no such thing as moral victories in the NFL. This is a game the Hawks had to have if they wanted any part of a division race, and lost.

There are plenty of moral victories in the NFL... especially if it gives the team the optimism and confidence to win games down the road, and the coaching staff much needed rhythm in their schemes and play calling.

Sure, the division race, which was never really an expectation, is gone. But today's efforts make for more confidence heading into the next few weeks.

You can focus on the loss, or focus on the next game.

I and every coach and player on the roster disagrees with you...............there is no such thing as moral victories in pro sports, especially for an organization that aspires to be one of the best in the league. This isn't Cleveland.

We can use other words like optimism, encouraged, etc. But any phrase with the word "victory" when you lose in a professional sport is inaccurate and is never used by the people who coach and play the game. You either win, or you lose, and we lost.

If you think of "I wanted to see the team growing towards imminent competition" is a low expectation, then I suppose you're right.

But low expectations were warranted here, Sarge. We offloaded a lot of talent this offseason.

So I do not begrudge anyone feeling good. I feel good myself. We win that game with KJ Wright on the field.

mikeak

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2s6sf7oq said:
I feel better about this team after yesterday's loss than I did after last week's win.

YES - agree 100%

Before this season I was cautiously optimistic on the result for the season, but sure that we would now start to play a winning style of football

After the first two games I was so low. The product sucked, the playcalling was even worse. There was so much crap there that the wins / losses barely mattered.

Then they won two games and still they looked AWFUL against Arizona. One of the worst teams in the league...…. It was like we changed out Cable and Bevell and it got worse.

Then yesterday happened. Playcalling was mixed up, running game was back, play action led to wide open receivers (all the things we had said for years) and the draw plays were creative and it was FUN to watch

Seattle Seahawks went out on the field and was part of one of the most entertaining games of the year in the league. This is a team that has been part of the worst games of the year up until now.

So in my mind I see a team that will start playing fun football and it will become winning football. There is no better combination.

I still think we can compete for a wildcard but don't really care. This is a contender for the next season and that is all I hoped for before the season

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3eilnyvq said:
So I do not begrudge anyone feeling good. I feel good myself.

I feel good, I just don't like the phrase "moral victory."

That's what fans in loserville places like Cleveland and Buffalo say, and IMO we're better than that.

This is a rebuild year, and so I'm fine with being encouraged or optimistic with staying competitive with arguably the best team in our conference and division.

- run game looked FANTASTIC
- Russell played really well
- Lockett and Moore, awesome
- O-line run blocking, fantastic

Just don't use the term moral victory.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":277p6clu said:
MontanaHawk05":277p6clu said:
So I do not begrudge anyone feeling good. I feel good myself.

I feel good, I just don't like the phrase "moral victory."

That's what fans in loserville places like Cleveland and Buffalo say, and IMO we're better than that.

This is a rebuild year, and so I'm fine with being encouraged or optimistic with staying competitive with arguably the best team in our conference and division.

- run game looked FANTASTIC
- Russell played really well
- Lockett and Moore, awesome
- O-line run blocking, fantastic

Just don't use the term moral victory.

We were victorious, morally. :3-1:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3kmmrsem said:
Can I get a copy of this for my file?

Only after you submit your TPS report.

xray

Reaction score
The Hawks looked better than expected ; but can they string together 2 or 3 good performances in a row . They have to be consistent to convince me. The fact remains it was a loss.

Seymour

Reaction score
xray":7wcbro95 said:
The Hawks looked better than expected ; but can they string together 2 or 3 good performances in a row . They have to be consistent to convince me. The fact remains it was a loss.

I'm sure we are all on pins and needles awaiting you to become convinced. :roll: :sarcasm_off:

OkieHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":ljkw2bfq said:
There is a HUGE difference between being more optimistic and being happy. I wasn't happy after we lost, but I'm definitely a LOT more optimistic, because Pete is allowing the offense to be what it needs to be, and that's a strong running attack with some big plays in the passing game. We can't be a pass heavy offense. Having a rushing attack like we have will help our young defense and our offense all at the same time. Sure we lost, and it's not good for our season that we lost, but it also gives me hope, and as a fan, that's all you can expect.

This. I really thought we were going to get blown out by the Rams. I almost didn't watch the game but thought to myself "that's giving up". Russ was decisive for the majority of the game when passing. Both Carson and Davis were getting some hard yardage out there that set up the PA stuff rather well. While we still need to work on penalties and Dickson's drop kicks, I think overall we are trending up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":1tqo1de5 said:
Sgt. Largent":1tqo1de5 said:
Can I get a copy of this for my file?

Only after you submit your TPS report.

I'll have my people call your people and we'll get this buttoned up.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
| was just a happy that the Hawks put up the best game of the year...regardless of the loss. Rams are super bowl contender. We are not the team of old...far from it. We have a group of young guys that gave it their all yesterday and almost pulled out a win vs a superior team. There were way more positives out of this loss than negatives. Not sure why fans don't see it. IMO it was the most entertaining game to watch in a long time. The young guys on the team gained a lot of confidence in this one.

ducks41468

Reaction score
I'd be much happier with this performance if we didn't have a long history of failing to build on good games. Remember last year when we looked amazing against the Eagles and then went 1-3 afterwards?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ducks41468":by2nwi7d said:
I'd be much happier with this performance if we didn't have a long history of failing to build on good games. Remember last year when we looked amazing against the Eagles and then went 1-3 afterwards?

Yeah, I'm just waiting for Wilson to show up in London and stand there for five seconds holding the ball again. That, specifically, is what happens every time we have a "letdown" game afterwards.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Cyrus12":105yxesy said:
| was just a happy that the Hawks put up the best game of the year...regardless of the loss. Rams are super bowl contender. We are not the team of old...far from it. We have a group of young guys that gave it their all yesterday and almost pulled out a win vs a superior team. There were way more positives out of this loss than negatives. Not sure why fans don't see it. IMO it was the most entertaining game to watch in a long time. The young guys on the team gained a lot of confidence in this one.

So very true. What a great learning game for the young'ins. The Seahawks gave it their all and yes while we can debate the final 2 minutes of the game until the cows come home, it was a tremendous effort by a team that is "rebooting".

THE TABS

Reaction score
Aros":2cxx6re1 said:
Because with all the warts, some that you listed, you can plainly see growth and what is to come. This team is no bottom feeder, cellar dweller. They are on the rise. The running game is back. That will allow Russ to be Russ again. The OL is showing a tenacity and toughness I haven't seen in years. The defense - while certainly no LOB Era - is full of young pups who are learning their way and I feel are going to be very, very good players.

Like I just watched on Good Morning Football, they said...

"Don't sleep on Seattle."

You're damn right. Even my girlfriend Kay Adams said something to the effect of how I feel which is why do I feel so good about Seattle after a loss?

Because you can see the beginning of what is to come. It's 2012 all over again.

2012? I’d say more like 2010.

This is a team clearly in transition, not uptrending, and that’s ON the field. On the sidelines is a whole different story. PC’s terrible game management issues cost us again, and schematicly speaking, we’ve become dinosaurs on both sides of the ball.

Now, offensively, we played pretty damn good yesterday. For once, we didn’t allow Aaron Donald to single handedly destroy our offense, which was nice to see. We got into 3rd and manageables and converted them. However, when we were in obvious passing situations, we did struggle, per usual. My worst fears about BS have been confirmed; this offense isn’t on par with the rest of the league.

Same with the defense. The scheme is stale and predictable, with a lot less talent than we’ve had in the past. We got destroyed on the intermediate routes all day. The Rams lost their top two receivers in the second half, but we couldn’t even force a punt! They executed without skipping a beat.

I feel like the league is passing us by, and that the changes we made this past offseason weren’t enough. Unless Pete is willing to give up some power, and I doubt he would, then it’s time to move on for him, for the betterment of the franchise, and bring in an innovative offensive mind to take back what we’ve lost.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The problem with run-oriented offense was perfectly illustrated yesterday.

You do not have the time to come back and you won't get any help.

Most of the rule changes in football have been created to create more offense. Specifically, to benefit the QB at the expense of the defense.

A penalty in pass play can literally shift the field. While a penalty against is still surmountable. 1st and 20 can easily be turned into 3rd and 6 or 3rd and 8 with a decent passing offense.

A holding penalty in a passing offense can create a problem.

Meanwhile, 1st and 20 with a run game as the focus is near insurmountable. A holding penalty with a run offense can literally shift you into low to no chance of conversion.

I get the allure. With the need to shut down the QB, defenses are turning lighter and faster - which makes the run game that much easier. But if your bread and butter is the run game, you are going to lose a lot of games down by a single TD because you will not have time to come back.

Still, at least they were able to score some points on offense. We will see if this past game was an outlier or a start of a trend. We have 3 games to figure it out.