I dont understand the optimism after an "almost win"?

xray

Reaction score
The Hawks looked much improved in some areas but it's still a loss. If they can string together some games like this than I will have more faith but they are so up and down its hard to get excited.

xray

Reaction score
Seymour":18fxzhm9 said:
xray":18fxzhm9 said:
The Hawks looked better than expected ; but can they string together 2 or 3 good performances in a row . They have to be consistent to convince me. The fact remains it was a loss.

I'm sure we are all on pins and needles awaiting you to become convinced. :roll: :sarcasm_off:
And I live and breathe by your bs posts :stirthepot:

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1cd289yi said:
MontanaHawk05":1cd289yi said:
So I do not begrudge anyone feeling good. I feel good myself.

I feel good, I just don't like the phrase "moral victory."

That's what fans in loserville places like Cleveland and Buffalo say, and IMO we're better than that.

This is a rebuild year, and so I'm fine with being encouraged or optimistic with staying competitive with arguably the best team in our conference and division.

- run game looked FANTASTIC
- Russell played really well
- Lockett and Moore, awesome
- O-line run blocking, fantastic

Just don't use the term moral victory.

The only people that have used the term moral victory in this thread are you and the OP. None of the people that are posting why they see reasons for optimism have said anything about a moral victory.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The answer to what kind of team the Seahawks are now is probably clear.

They looked very bad last week against a terrible team - and won. So they likely are not terrible.

They looked very good this week against a great team - and lost. So they likely are not great.

This is what a 7-9 team looks like.

mrt144

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":d3sd7hcn said:
The problem with run-oriented offense was perfectly illustrated yesterday.

You do not have the time to come back and you won't get any help.

Most of the rule changes in football have been created to create more offense. Specifically, to benefit the QB at the expense of the defense.

A penalty in pass play can literally shift the field. While a penalty against is still surmountable. 1st and 20 can easily be turned into 3rd and 6 or 3rd and 8 with a decent passing offense.

A holding penalty in a passing offense can create a problem.

Meanwhile, 1st and 20 with a run game as the focus is near insurmountable. A holding penalty with a run offense can literally shift you into low to no chance of conversion.

I get the allure. With the need to shut down the QB, defenses are turning lighter and faster - which makes the run game that much easier. But if your bread and butter is the run game, you are going to lose a lot of games down by a single TD because you will not have time to come back.

Still, at least they were able to score some points on offense. We will see if this past game was an outlier or a start of a trend. We have 3 games to figure it out.

In a larger way, this is what happens when you try to draw games down to a single possession and your team talent and coaching can't get you over the hump. With previous iterations of Seahawks, games where you hit heads 3/4 or 7/8 times on a coinflip wasn't beyond reason. Losing games at the margins on variance over and over is a sign of a less talented, less well coached team.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1cq8jaat said:
This is what a 7-9 team looks like.

And what a 11-5 team looks like, too, especially after a loss.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Is it bad that I expect this team to compete for the playoffs every year RW is the QB?

We had a chance to steal a game from the up and coming NFC powerhouse and came up just short. I actually feel pretty good about the game and am really encouraged about the OL. It just sucks because we'd be one game back in the division and who knows what happens to the Rams? They probably win 12-14 games, but they might not.

I'd feel much better about this loss if we could have won one of those first two games. I'd be really happy if we were 3-2 either way. 2-3 is teetering on the edge of contention.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
11-5? That is funny.

This team isn't going to be 11-5.

Most of the Hawks fans know it too. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a ton of people optimistic after losing by a little to a much better team. We aren't making the playoffs so at least playing somewhat competitively with a much better team is what we have to hang our hats on.

11-5 isn't happening. That is laughable.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
This game very much felt like the Rams Seahawks games during the Jeff Fisher era. Only the roles were reversed.

This game reminded me of the Monday Nighter in St. Louis the year you guys won it all - divisional road game, your strongest unit played pretty well, our strongest unit played pretty well (defense for both in 2012, offense for both yesterday).

But I get being encouraged by an "almost win" - wins and losses are fluid. How teams play is more telling.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":1lvs0wcc said:
Sgt. Largent":1lvs0wcc said:
MontanaHawk05":1lvs0wcc said:

That's what fans in loserville places like Cleveland and Buffalo say, and IMO we're better than that.

This is a rebuild year, and so I'm fine with being encouraged or optimistic with staying competitive with arguably the best team in our conference and division.

The only people that have used the term moral victory in this thread are you and the OP. None of the people that are posting why they see reasons for optimism have said anything about a moral victory.

And the 3-4 people arguing with me, like you, and in another thread in the shack.

But other than all those people, you're right.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
You're the only person that used "moral victory" in the Shack as well.

HommyHawk

Reaction score
lost the battle ,can still win the war..this game was exactly what I said in another thread we needed to see ,whether we won or lost....a team that hasn't turned on their head coach. Lotta of football left boys. Buckle up and enjoy the ride. We are making the playoffs. Go Hawks!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":280b96gf said:

And you argued with me there as well.

That's how this works, people state opinions, then there's agreement or disagreement.....on ambivalence.

Are we done with the how many forums did Sarge use the term moral victory, or can we continue the conversation?

Wartooth

Reaction score
To me, I see the NFL needing one of the teams in the LA market to be good enough to fill seats and sell product.
It's a large market, and they want to suck revenue out of that market.
The Chargers are never going to be that team, with a little help, the Rams might be...
That's what that ticky tack holding call on Fluker was all about!
The NFL's going to do everything it can to help their LA darlings win games... Get use to it.

Cartire

Reaction score
Anybody remember our record after the Dolphins game in 2012?
Anybody remember the mood with the fans during that time?

Sure, we're no 2012 team. But, we were also not the 2012 team until after the Dolphins game.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1s5quxxz said:
Uncle Si":1s5quxxz said:

And you argued with me there as well.

That's how this works, people state opinions, then there's agreement or disagreement.....on ambivalence.

Are we done with the how many forums did Sarge use the term moral victory
, or can we continue the conversation?

Just don't say "Uncle" because you will then concede the moral victory yourself. :lol: :lol:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Could be worse ..As in the Falcons case :snack:

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3q05akc0 said:
Chapow":3q05akc0 said:
Sgt. Largent":3q05akc0 said:
MontanaHawk05":3q05akc0 said:

And the 3-4 people arguing with me, like you, and in another thread in the shack.

But other than all those people, you're right.

What?

I went back and looked through this thread again as well as the one in the shack. Once again, the only people that have used the term moral victory in this thread (or the one in the shack) are you and the OP. None of the people that are posting why they see reasons for optimism have said anything about a moral victory.

You are either having some sort of a mental break or you are lying.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
To the OP,

I think it's entirely probable that you are putting words into other people's mouths. Or at best regarding a handful of fans issuing moral victory and applying it to everyone who was optimistic about the result.

I also don't believe in moral victory. However I said even before the season started, that I wanted to see signs that we have talent to retain on this team during this rebuild year. More to the point, I wanted to see us begin to form our blueprint for winning. Our identity. How we were going to win in the post LOB era.

We lost and that sucks. The end.

We expected a lot of that this year. We got it.

But yesterday we also got a real glimpse that there is talent on this team. We aren't a dumpster fire of a roster that needs 2-3 drafts just to get to competitive levels. And it looks like we've found the emerging elements of our identity and how we're going to win going forward. And that's not just from one game now. We can see this coming the last three weeks.

There is room for excitement in the small victories. In a season where we knew it would be close to impossible to truly compete at a high level. We are finding out where we are, who we are and even in defeat (close or not), we can see the value of our direction and we can see that we're not that far off from being ok to even good.

So I can both be optimistic while still eschewing the notion of a moral victory. The two can coexist quite easily. And one doesn't invoke or presume the other.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Cartire":3apg8als said:
Anybody remember our record after the Dolphins game in 2012?
Anybody remember the mood with the fans during that time?

Sure, we're no 2012 team. But, we were also not the 2012 team until after the Dolphins game.

They were 6-5 after the Miami game in 2012. Prior to that game they were 6-4. They then went on to win 5 straight after that. The schedule in 2018 is much tougher than it was in 2012. This year they yet have to face the Vikings, Packers, Panthers, Chiefs, and Rams (away). Not saying it can't be done. It'll be a hard climb for a young team still finding itself. Which is what the Seahawks are. This is the same team that dropped games to the Broncos (which got blasted by the Jets on Sunday) and the Bears. This just goes to prove that the league is a week to week league and anything can happen any given week.