I feel terrible for San Francisco and Denver fans

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":cs98r61k said:
The whole thing is disappointing.

Sure, some of the fans are grating. Then again so are some of ours.

What I loved about our rivalry was it really was great football. Physical, intense, full of speed & power. It was about two teams trying to overpower each other, and each being the strongest against everyone else. Not like the current trend of trying to trick or scheme your way to a touchdown - it was outbully, out athlete, and win through force of will.

Going to miss that.

But both SF and Denver feel like they are doing to their teams what the Sonics did to theirs when Karl couldn't get us over the hump (even though part of that was some very uneven officiating...maybe where some of the long standing hatred of refs comes from in this town).

SF was a single play away from a SB win and a few plays away from another SB trip. Denver had it in the bag and lost on a desperation heave by Baltimore - that was their shot. It feels like both were a whisker away, but these changes are much more likely to remove their shot at even getting that close.

They each fired their George Karl for dominating but getting shut down by a once in a decade obstacle, and each are likely to get their own version of Westphal or worse. (Sonic fans know what I am talking about)

It would have been amazing to see SF and Seattle fight it out for the SB for years. It would have even been OK to have SF go once more, as long as we had a few more SB wins in there. It would have been like those Dallas & SF rivalries that lasted for years.

What a loss. I truly believe both teams made terrible decisions removing their coaches. Just a waste.
For a couple seasons there, playing SF 2 or 3 times a year made the Seahawks tougher. Especially last year--who the hell wanted to play the Hawks in the SB after the brutal, close game against SF in the NFC Championship? George Karl actually got hideously upset in the first round two years in a row, the second time by the stinking god damn Lakers. But that was a great team--in 96 only the greatest NBA team in history could've stopped us from going all the way (GP vs. Jordon???)

kearly

Reaction score
I feel terrible for Tennessee and Jacksonville fans. And now that their team is probably leaving town on account of them sucking for a decade, I'm even starting to feel bad for Rams fans.

I don't feel any more sorry for SF or Denver than I would for the Red Sox and Yankees for missing the playoffs last year. They've had more than their share. It's time they paid their dues again.

Largent80

Reaction score
I don't know. Did you feel sorry for them when the Hawks sucked year after year?

Personally I am enjoying our team and the dominance. It is rewarding after all the years of misery. I don't feel sorry for any other teams.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kearly":19kw01c4 said:
I feel terrible for Tennessee and Jacksonville fans. And now that their team is probably leaving town on account of them sucking for a decade, I'm even starting to feel bad for Rams fans.

I don't feel any more sorry for SF or Denver than I would for the Red Sox and Yankees for missing the playoffs last year. They've had more than their share. It's time they paid their dues again.
Exactly!
I do feel bad for the very small number of cool niner fans like Kats and Box, but 99.8% of that fanbase are a$$clowns! .....and I think 100% of Donks fans are a$$clowns, so I don't feel sorry for them.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I don't.

Watching these situations is better than watching a comedy show. If you really feel bad for them, I suggest you go back to posts leading up to each game the Seahawks have played with these teams and read what their fans were posting. You'll find their situations more humorous that way.

Personally, I don't think this could happen to two more deserving franchises.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I like good competition not better..Hope I never see that but to feel sorry?I don't ..We didn't get that from them did we?I haven't been on NET long enough to see it..All I have seen is look at the money we have spent to kick your asses and it wasn't good enough or look at all these picks we have stashed to build up a monster that will kick your asses..We all see how that panned out..So sorry no..I feel for Marvin ,Irv and Rikats but the rest can go where the sun don't shine..

Chapow

Reaction score
kearly":1s1yjfca said:

This.

irocdave

Reaction score
I'm torn on this, the Hawks had great owners in the beginning, then one of the worst owners ever in the NFL and now have the best owner in the NFL. I see the niners owner as being a young ignorant overly involved owner that will get in the way of any success for that team for a decade.

Both Denver and Santa Clara fans need some humble pie. That humble pie only comes after 10 - 15 years of being at the bottom. When a generation or two of fans come of age and know nothing of the past glory..that's where the humbleness, eagerness for a winner come from. Hawks fans paid there dues with a shitty owner for a decade and because of that, this teams rise to dominance was diminished by a majority of arrogant niner and donkey fans. They were to stupid / ignorant to know a good team when they saw one and the first reaction to Hawks success was about their own franchises legacy of success and the perceived lack of success by the hawks for their entire existence.

Long time hawk fans know what a bad team / coach / owner looks like. Yes, we have bandwagon fans, we also have fans that are young and haven't experienced the bad teams / coaches / ownership (all of the 90's) and their perspective of the NFL and the hawks is much different.

The reason I have empathy for the niners fans has to do with the helplessness you feel as a fan when the owner is the problem. So niner fans, next time you slam the hawks for their "history" remember, the hawks had a piss poor POS from Nor Cal owner that ran this franchise in to the ground and Hawk fans had to endure that as well as try and block the move to LA.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
There is a piece of me that really agrees with what you're saying TwistedHusky.

However, there is an even larger part of me that says -- WHY?

I absolutely hated the Broncos and John Elway then ... and I really don't care much for them now. They were always our bitter rivals and took such glee at smashing us in to the dirt. That's what made the Super Bowl so freaking cool for me personally -- the fact that we got to get out the whooping stick and gain a little bit of payback for all those years of frustration. You know what this is? It's called redemption. What comes around ... goes around.

I've lived long enough to know that success is very fleeting ... and that things in the NFL change and can change quite rapidly. As much as it pains me to say this ... the Seahawks as a winning franchise won't last forever either. Oh for sure, as long as Paul Allen owns this team, Pete Carroll is the coach, John Schneider is GM, and Russell Wilson is at the helm of the offense, we'll be a winning team -- hopefully for years to come. But eventually, everything ends. This is our time in the sun -- our time to shine --- just as it's the Broncos and 49ers sun that is now setting. None of this is going to last forever though, so I'm going to bask in the sunshine and to revel in this all as much as is humanly possible.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
irocdave":zis12rjm said:
I'm torn on this, the Hawks had great owners in the beginning, then one of the worst owners ever in the NFL and now have the best owner in the NFL. I see the niners owner as being a young ignorant overly involved owner that will get in the way of any success for that team for a decade.

Both Denver and Santa Clara fans need some humble pie. That humble pie only comes after 10 - 15 years of being at the bottom. When a generation or two of fans come of age and know nothing of the past glory..that's where the humbleness, eagerness for a winner come from. Hawks fans paid there dues with a shitty owner for a decade and because of that, this teams rise to dominance was diminished by a majority of arrogant niner and donkey fans. They were to stupid / ignorant to know a good team when they saw one and the first reaction to Hawks success was about their own franchises legacy of success and the perceived lack of success by the hawks for their entire existence.

Long time hawk fans know what a bad team / coach / owner looks like. Yes, we have bandwagon fans, we also have fans that are young and haven't experienced the bad teams / coaches / ownership (all of the 90's) and their perspective of the NFL and the hawks is much different.

The reason I have empathy for the niners fans has to do with the helplessness you feel as a fan when the owner is the problem. So niner fans, next time you slam the hawks for their "history" remember, the hawks had a piss poor POS from Nor Cal owner that ran this franchise in to the ground and Hawk fans had to endure that as well as try and block the move to LA.
Excellent post sir! Bravo! :th2thumbs:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I don't like it. Sure, I hated SF in the rival kind of way and basically 98 percent of the DenialZone, but I also know a few Niner fans that are nothing like those guys. It just won't be the same if AZ and STL displace the Niners.

SEA/SF carries a lot of attention from a viewing perspective and has national recognition. The others? Meh...

I hope the Niners can still bring it, but York and Baalke need to be embarrassed.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I want to feel bad for Niner fans.

Then I think about "Quest for 6". Five rings. Empty trophy case pictures that they thought were so hilarious. I do treasure that them being good made us better, for sure, and there was some national attention because if it, but feel bad for them? Nope.

Denver? They could go 0-16 for the next 5 years. I will feel no pain for them. That team tried to buy a championship and failed. I was a Seahawk fan in Denver country in my high school years while John Elway was in his prime, the fact that our first Super Bowl crushed their dreams to dust was cathartic, and I want more. John Elway still being involved in running that team only makes it better.

I feel sorry for Cleveland fans. Jaguar fans. San Diego fans. Even Raider fans. But the Niners and Broncos? nary a tear.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3vgia47h said:
Denver? They could go 0-16 for the next 5 years. I will feel no pain for them. That team tried to buy a championship and failed. I was a Seahawk fan in Denver country in my high school years while John Elway was in his prime, the fact that our first Super Bowl crushed their dreams to dust was cathartic, and I want more. John Elway still being involved in running that team only makes it better.

I feel sorry for Cleveland fans. Jaguar fans. San Diego fans. Even Raider fans. But the Niners and Broncos? nary a tear.

Ohhhhh you and I are SOOOOOOOOOOO on the same page when it comes to the Broncos. I felt EXACTLY the same way in terms of the Super Bowl. After the score was 43-8, some guys I watched the game with asked me, "Man, don't you kind of feel sorry for the Broncos?" I merely smiled and told them, "heck no. I hope the Hawks keep pouring it on and bury these guys." I reveled in every single freaking minute of that whooping. It was very satisfying and downright therapeutic.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2wpl1tvi said:
Scottemojo":2wpl1tvi said:

Ohhhhh you and I are SOOOOOOOOOOO on the same page when it comes to the Broncos. I felt EXACTLY the same way in terms of the Super Bowl. After the score was 43-8, some guys I watched the game with asked me, "Man, don't you kind of feel sorry for the Broncos?" I merely smiled and told them, "heck no. I hope the Hawks keep pouring it on and bury these guys." I reveled in every single freaking minute of that whooping. It was very satisfying and downright therapeutic.

I couldn't wait til the day after to listen to all the mediots that picked the donkos and their excuses. Looking in on some donko boards was all too fun. I couldn't get the smile off my face for weeks after that game.