I have been a huge fan of Carson

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
What matters is what Carson does in the playoffs, not the regular season.

If Carson played LB or CB, I would care.

But we need him in the playoffs. Having him out 2-3 games a year but balling out in the playoffs is a very fair trade I would take every day.

We are not putting the punishment on him we used to. But we wore him out in earlier seasons. Not sure why people are that surprised that does not have an impact later?

Expecting your RB to play the whole year without getting a few injuries is betting against the average.

We lose Carson and that is very bad. Nobody wants Hyde to run the ball. Nobody. At least never in the last 2 min of a game you need to keep a one-score lead in.

PNW

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2lteh0wy said:
We really, really need Penny. Just to catch passes on 3rd down. And to get to the edge on 3rd and 2.

Hyde is just Hyde. Decent 3rd string back. But nobody you want to see actually on the field unless you have to.

Sure he scored a TD. But at the end of the game, he really hurt us.

Carlos Hyde 1,070 yrds 4.37 average yards per carry. That’s 3rd string to you???

hedgehawk

Reaction score
You’d have to be crazy to sign CC to a high value contract. It has been proven at this point that he can’t stay healthy for an entire year. It’s literally a matter of time until he gets hurt again. Dude is really good but not durable....especially for big money when the cap is most likely to go down.

sutz

Reaction score
We would need an incentive laden deal that would allow Carson to make $10 mil or so, but doesn't risk a lot of LTBE cap money.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
TypeSly":3ii2cf2a said:
Sgt. Largent":3ii2cf2a said:
We've had this conversation since Marshawn left.

IMO it's not so much Carson, although his running style and injury history contributes to him always getting hurt, it's more that we were spoiled with how durable Lynch was.

That is NOT the norm, what we are dealing with now with Carson and our other backs being injured every year is the norm for most teams. It's almost impossible to find a back like Marshawn that's going to play 15-16 games for 4-5 years straight.

Look around the league, just about every bell cow back gets hurt and doesn't play all 16 games. Just the nature of the position. We were lucky with Marshawn, now we're not.

Yeah, but Carson is never on the field, for even close to a full season. Marshawn was always on the field, even when the Seahawks were a heavy, run-first offence.

He's never on the field for close to a full season?? What are you talking about? He played 15 games last year and 14 the year before.

Some fans have ridiculous expectations or apparently don't understand how the modern RB is the most beat up position. You continually rush up the middle fighting for every possible yard with monster DTs and LBs trying to kill you and you're going to eventually get hurt.

The lack of appreciation for Carson and what he means to this team has been glaring.

TypeSly

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":12d6us5a said:
TypeSly":12d6us5a said:
Sgt. Largent":12d6us5a said:

IMO it's not so much Carson, although his running style and injury history contributes to him always getting hurt, it's more that we were spoiled with how durable Lynch was.

That is NOT the norm, what we are dealing with now with Carson and our other backs being injured every year is the norm for most teams. It's almost impossible to find a back like Marshawn that's going to play 15-16 games for 4-5 years straight.

Look around the league, just about every bell cow back gets hurt and doesn't play all 16 games. Just the nature of the position. We were lucky with Marshawn, now we're not.

Yeah, but Carson is never on the field, for even close to a full season. Marshawn was always on the field, even when the Seahawks were a heavy, run-first offence.

He's never on the field for close to a full season?? What are you talking about? He played 15 games last year and 14 the year before.

Some fans have ridiculous expectations or apparently don't understand how the modern RB is the most beat up position. You continually rush up the middle fighting for every possible yard with monster DTs and LBs trying to kill you and you're going to eventually get hurt.

The lack of appreciation for Carson and what he means to this team has been glaring.

Okay, fair enough. Let's go back though.

2017: 4 games total. Serious ankle injury. Out for the year. No playoffs.
2018: 14 games, in which he didn't finish a few. Was hobbled at the end of the year, came back for playoffs. 13 carries, 20 yards.
2019: 15 games , but again taken out multiple times during games (early). Before the season ended, was totally out (hip injury + surgery), again no playoffs.
2020: Taken out of the game (early) a few times already, 5 games into the season. Game 6: injured midway through the game.

So in the first three years of his career, he's played one playoff game (while basically still injured) and had 13 carries for 20 yards. So... this is what you're scolding me for? A feature RB, who hasn't been healthy three straight years in the playoffs? And now in the 4th year, he's already hurt. But he wants "top 5 RB" money... Ok. If this is the RB you wanna invest our future cap in, fine. I don't.

TypeSly

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3886sx9a said:
TypeSly":3886sx9a said:
Sgt. Largent":3886sx9a said:

Plus, who doesn't love Carson... when he's IN the game? He's averaging close to 8 yards a carry (which is crazy!). Even though, he isn't always in, he's a blessing... until you're talking about "Top 5 RB" money.

Elemas

Reaction score
I love CC. I love his playstyle. But, if he's already mentioned that he's wanting to get paid, I don't expect us to be the one signing him.

We haven't seen enough of Dallas to make a call. Rookie RBs can make a splash. Maybe we grab another next year.

We go one of those two routes if he's asking too much.

Would hate to see him go but, RBs have fairly short careers. Can't blame them for looking for $$$ after 3-4 years.

Or, pray that Penny has recovered. I was really liking what I saw prior to him going down. I finally "got" why Pete and John nabbed him early. He doesn't appear to be a 1st-2nd down back (yet) but, he definitely adds to the RB core if healthy and playing like he did in his last two games.

PNW

Reaction score
Here’s a thought haha (only half serious) we resign CC for 8 million a year, sit him on the PS for 14 games, give him two games to get ready for the playoffs then he’s our featured RB in playoff time.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Welshers":258mzw4r said:
We've had terrible luck with RB injuries. Carson (two or three times), Penny, Homer... it's very unlucky. I think Carson just needs to get healthy. He may have ongoing issues. I don't see why we move on from a guy this quickly for injury problems. He's a great deal and very underrated. Who will we replace him with? Making Dallas our featured back?

Christine Michael with hamstring problems, Thomas Rawls broken ankle was it? Marshawn with the core muscle injury.

massari

Reaction score
PNW":3kpothid said:
He’s aiming for top 5 $$$$ He was asked this question in an interview.

Christian McCaffrey $16,015,853
Alvin Kamara $15,000,00
Ezekiel Elliott $15,000,000
David Johnson $13,000,000
Dalvin Cook $12,600,000
Derrick Henry $12,500,000
What's the upcoming draft like for RBs? lol

Or maybe they can franchise tag him for a year

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TypeSly":hz6xysk9 said:
Sgt. Largent":hz6xysk9 said:
TypeSly":hz6xysk9 said:
Sgt. Largent":hz6xysk9 said:

Did you read my post? Marshawn is not the norm in the league, Carson is. So us thinking it's Carson and he needs to go is inaccurate.

We drafted one of the most physical healthiest non injury prone RB's in all of college football in Penny two years ago, and he's hurt.

So to say "hey we need to move on from Carson because he gets hurt all the time" is a false narrative.

I'm not saying to move on from Carson, unless we gotta pay him the big money he wants, when his contract is up. He's an absolute bargain right now. I've never been big on paying RB's big money, (especially when they are hardly ever fully healthy like Carson)... unless they are the rare ones like Marshawn.
So, hmm, use him up, exploit his healthy, his grit & determination, and then $h!t-can him because he wants to get paid?
Without a viable Run game, Russ is being asked to do a hell of a lot more, with less?

sdog1981

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1qgj6fvg said:
So, hmm, use him up, exploit his healthy, his grit & determination, and then $h!t-can him because he wants to get paid?
Without a viable Run game, Russ is being asked to do a hell of a lot more, with less?

Uhhh yes? Are you aware the NFL has a salary cap? The NFL is Effing ruthless man and Carson will just another name in the meat grinder.

PNW

Reaction score
massari":2lznrq2m said:
PNW":2lznrq2m said:
He’s aiming for top 5 $$$$ He was asked this question in an interview.

Christian McCaffrey $16,015,853
Alvin Kamara $15,000,00
Ezekiel Elliott $15,000,000
David Johnson $13,000,000
Dalvin Cook $12,600,000
Derrick Henry $12,500,000
What's the upcoming draft like for RBs? lol

Or maybe they can franchise tag him for a year
2020 franchise tag for an RB would be almost $10.3million, personally I would want to do more than 8 or 9million.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
In a vacuum, yeah of course you keep Carson.

However we're in a place cap wise where we can't even consider it.

He'll get 13m+ on the open market. So we'd have to cut big salary on the offensive side. Roughly 10m. Here are the candidates:

1. Duane Brown (cutting renders 11m)
2. Tyler Lockett (10.2M)
3. Nobody else

There are no other contracts on the offensive side that would provide enough relief to sign him.

We have only 22m in expected cap room next year. But we also have to add 19 players to the roster. We don't have draft picks -- so we aren't filling those with cheap rookie contracts.

Additionally, we have defensive holes opening up massively. We lose both our starting corners and starting center. With virtually nothing on the roster to replace those. Keeping just one of those corners is going to eat up half the cap space. Keep two of the three, and you basically have about 15 roster spots being taken by vet minimum players.

As it is now, Seattle is going to have to cut anyway. And it looks like to get any relief, it'll come down to one or more of:

Wagner - 11
Lockett - 10
Reed - 8
Dunlap - 11

To keep Chris, you pretty much have to lose 3 of these four. And then try to figure out what to do with one (or both) CB slots. And that's not even considering extending Adams next year which we pretty much have to do to not make the trade a complete bust. So right now with no Carson deal, we're likely cutting two from that list.

Seattle is in cap hell right now. And the only position where we've effectively drafted ahead of need is actually Wagner who to me is the likeliest candidate for being a cap casualty.

The thing is, you can't commit elite starter cap space for 12 games of Carson. It's not going to come down to love for the player. He's exactly what we love from that position. It's that we didn't draft well enough chasing crappy players at positions of need in order to be in a position to roll over contracts with the next Lockett/Brown/Griffin etc.

And we're paying the price for 3 years ongoing of 'all in to win' type trades. The price of those day 2 picks surrendered for 1 year rentals is coming due next year. And in essence now will be on a 5 year bender of sacrificing top 100 trade stock for emergency band aids.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Name me a RB who never, ever, misses a game on any team due to injury.
Marshawn Lynch spoiled the fan base with his durability and availability.

Carson’s injury history will be part of any contract negotiation going forward.
Football is a violent sport and there is no such thing as a “healthy” football player.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":35dpkwok said:
Name me a RB who never, ever, misses a game on any team due to injury.
Marshawn Lynch spoiled the fan base with his durability and availability.

Carson’s injury history will be part of any contract negotiation going forward.
Football is a violent sport and there is no such thing as a “healthy” football player.

Totally agreed. I really make it a point to never knock players that are hurt. It's just really random. And it's through no fault of their own.

But it won't really be a part of contract negotiation. Whoever signs Chris will do so at top dollar relative to all other backs. Irregardless of availability. It's not like Cook has been even as available as Carson and he set the market.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Chris is a top notch back. Regardless of injuries. You dont let that go. Sorry. It's stupid to do otherwise if money is there. Ecspecially for someone who has given everything he has to his team on a lower salary. Thats why your contracts for other positions have to be on point. So you have room to sign the impact players when needing to. Injuries come expected. Its football not figure skating. If you dont expect injuries you are dead standing!

Chris will be fine and ready for playoffs. Watch homer and dallas take off on you fans who only respond to players you have or havent seen thus far. I saw Homer's potential last year. There is a good reason the hawks are standing pat on rbs they have vs signing new ones they did last year. Scarbourogh etc. Plus, you dont know when penny will land. Bet when he steps in we have a few negative yards and then bam...50 yard scamper for td. Just wait and be patient. They know what they are doing. Trust the patience. We are 5 and 1 and the problem is pass defensive coverage.

sdog1981

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":14g85w1p said:
Chris is a top notch back. Regardless of injuries. You dont let that go. Sorry. It's stupid to do otherwise if money is there. Ecspecially for someone who has given everything he has to his team on a lower salary. Thats why your contracts for other positions have to be on point. So you have room to sign the impact players when needing to. Injuries come expected. Its football not figure skating. If you dont expect injuries you are dead standing!

Chris will be fine and ready for playoffs. Watch homer and dallas take off on you fans who only respond to players you have or havent seen thus far. I saw Homer's potential last year. There is a good reason the hawks are standing pat on rbs they have vs signing new ones they did last year. Scarbourogh etc. Plus, you dont know when penny will land. Bet when he steps in we have a few negative yards and then bam...50 yard scamper for td. Just wait and be patient. They know what they are doing. Trust the patience. We are 5 and 1 and the problem is pass defensive coverage.

Stupid teams and teams from the 90s pay money for running backs. They are as easy to find as 7th round draft picks, aka Chris Carson.

Latest posts