I love our current Offensive Line

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Basis4day":1brmimna said:
gowazzu02":1brmimna said:
LOL, we're going to need that "flexibility" since we'll need to find a new qb because we're going to get him killed next year.

I fail to see how our line will really be any different next year that it has Wilson's entire tenure.

Um last years line was a tale of two lines. First half, where it was putrid and we stunk, second half it was average and the offense was amazing. We just lost our two best lineman from that line that was putrid and then average. Whats worse then putrid? cause we're about to witness it.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Well maybe the NFL schedulers will recognize our weakness and organize the schedule so we play the tougher defenses, particularly ones with dominant front 7's to the end of the season like they did last year. Oh wait.

This pretty much guarantees our schedule will again start out against the tougher defenses. Book it we will open against the Rams again and probably face them a 2nd time before mid season.

Hopefully half our opponents don't get an extra week to game plan against us again.

Holy hell I'm making myself depressed.

Jville

Reaction score
I continue to believe that Tom Cable and the Seattle Seahawks are very attractive to linemen starting out and second chance veterans who suffered setbacks. The reason is opportunity and their commitment to player development. However, that isn't the case for those who succeed at establishing themselves and are looking to cash in.

Several other teams feature quarterbacks that maintain discipline at launching passes from rehearsed launch points and getting the ball off and on it's way quickly. I suspect such a working environment facilitates the appearance of better consistency and produces better grades by outside observers. What's not to like about moving on to a more accommodating opportunity for that next contract? :229031_shrug: The entertainers that run around extending plays also extend the demand for sustained blocks. They also create more challenging and unexpected blocking angles for linemen.

At the moment, I guess I don't see (outside of that super bowl ring) the attraction for a linemen finishing his career in Seattle. But of course playing conditions have the potential to change as Seattle's quarterback and the offense evolving around him matures. When that happens, a second contract and the posibility of finishing a career in Seattle could become more attractive.

Until then ................. Let the roster churn!

LegendKiller

Reaction score
mrt144":1zowsjst said:
New beginnings everywhere and cheap as hell too. Even if 2016 doesn't go great, at the very least we have a completely flexible position group with no looming contracts for the next 2 years. It's nothing but upside from here on out.

....said no Seahawks fan ever. Ask yourself this question, as of this moment, is this o-line better than before FA? The answer is no. We lost 2 starters...and picked up no one to improve it. We picked up a few journeymen in hopes of making it work. I'm worried that eventually, the neglect that we've shown our o-line is going to catch up to us and god forbid, RW is going to take a beating and eventually get hurt because of it. The cards and pats are showing this offseason that they want to go to the Superbowl and it kills me to say that I feel like our chances of going to the Superbowl are not that great.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
mrt144":3rv6gev5 said:
New beginnings everywhere and cheap as hell too. Even if 2016 doesn't go great, at the very least we have a completely flexible position group with no looming contracts for the next 2 years. It's nothing but upside from here on out.

I agree with this somewhat. I think Seahawks maxed out the potential of every Oline they allowed to leave in their system.

Okung was above average at best but not consistently elite. His injury history doesnt warrant a longterm obligation of 10+ m.

Sweezy was great... He transformed himself into a dominant guard but you could see his liability in pass protection. He still as potential to improve but $6m was a hefty price to pay for a guy who is only great at one thing.

For the most part we knew what they were in this system and at times they left a lot to be desired.

Guys like Sowell and Webb, we dont know how theyll fit, could be bad, could be good but the finacial comittment doesnt handicap the team if they fail. If they provide value its a bargain.

Guys like Gilliam, Britt, Glowinski, Lewis, Nowak, Perciak, Poole, and Sokoli are either young enough, raw enough, or not as incorporated in the system where they still have untapped potential to be coached up mentally or be maxed out physically.

For example I think Glowinski is already a more well-rounded player than Sweezy. He may or may not be as dominant of a runblocker as Sweezy but the dude as a mean streak and his lone start he was flipping some pancakes on the field.

Britt to me, his potential is more physical then mental, if the guy can come into this season with added muscle and lower body anchor, while maxing out his athleticism , I think the guy could develop into a conistently solid player. The good news is you really cant coach 32 starts of experience and thatll help him in the long run.

Gilliam like others have stated is more like the opposite of Britt, Gilliam has the elite athleticism and length to be forged into a competent LT but his mental game and experience needs to catch up to his physical potential. Gilliam by no means had a great year last season but he definately improved over the season and if he played like he did in the 2nd half and can improve upon that the guy has a chance to be really solid.

The other guys I dont have a strong opinion about but theyll have a chance to compete and definately have the potential to improve.

The most crucial process will be adding another 5-6 O-linemen through the draft, udfa, or through other teams cuts.

Its a good year for Oline and the Seahawks have the need. If you can hit on at least 1 truly talented cornerstone player (preferably at OT) and maybe a couple others that can overachieve and put them all into the mix to compete... Good things will happen.

Its not like the Oline can be any worse than the other times Seahawks were playing McQuistan at LT and starting Bowie at RT. Or relying on young inconsistently raw players like Carpenter and Sweezy, with Unger playing through multiple injuries.

That was the 2013 season, didnt stop the Seahawks from winning 13 games or winning the Superbowl.

Still plenty of time to figure this thing out... The worst case scenario isnt something we havent seen before and the best case scenario is theyll find five guys with potential, who will be cheap, and have a chance to stabilize the Oline for the next 3-4 years.

Teams like the Packers and Panthers were able to field good Olines building through the draft without using big time draft resources. It can be done.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
LegendKiller":3k9msgd6 said:
mrt144":3k9msgd6 said:

....said no Seahawks fan ever. Ask yourself this question, as of this moment, is this o-line better than before FA? The answer is no. We lost 2 starters...and picked up no one to improve it. We picked up a few journeymen in hopes of making it work. I'm worried that eventually, the neglect that we've shown our o-line is going to catch up to us and god forbid, RW is going to take a beating and eventually get hurt because of it. The cards and pats are showing this offseason that they want to go to the Superbowl and it kills me to say that I feel like our chances of going to the Superbowl are not that great.

Of course it isn't better but there's also no long term cap liabilities or even question marks - everyone is about equally bad. We have truly entered the soap, lather, rinse, repeat era of our O Line. I can't wait to see how it plays out, good or bad. It's exciting!

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I wouldn't go so far as to say I love it.

I think it would be better to say you love unproven players on cheap contracts.

I think our offensive line performance will be similar to last year - slow start and good toward the end. If it means some more long term pieces then I am all for it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":3ehe4nc4 said:
Like I said in another thread. Sokoli and Glowinski were basically redshirted just for the departures that were inevitable.

Also, Gilliam just completed his first year on the line.

Couple that with an EXTREMELY deep OL class and Seattles picks and we can essentially have a fine OL. Although it may start gelling too late...or not?
This!The gelling can take place faster since we don't have a Okung or the others we lost slowing that process down somehow.I hope thats what happened last year

seabowl

Reaction score
Overseasfan":flsx5ze6 said:
HawkFan72":flsx5ze6 said:
I highly doubt we'll see any "I love our O-line" threads once the season starts.

Or maybe we will. It's not impossible.

Agree. I think we'll be saying what O line?

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1znjrw5k said:
I highly doubt we'll see any "I love our O-line" threads once the season starts.

Then it's good I made this just in case one of the OL peeks in on us.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3ptx8j7i said:
Basis4day":3ptx8j7i said:
gowazzu02":3ptx8j7i said:
LOL, we're going to need that "flexibility" since we'll need to find a new qb because we're going to get him killed next year.

I fail to see how our line will really be any different next year that it has Wilson's entire tenure.

Um last years line was a tale of two lines. First half, where it was putrid and we stunk, second half it was average and the offense was amazing. We just lost our two best lineman from that line that was putrid and then average. Whats worse then putrid? cause we're about to witness it.

Your also discounting the fact that Lewis, Gilliam, & Britt all gained valuable experience .... All the 3 were basically rookies at their posistions. would you not expect all 3 to improve from that? IMO. IMO the line is an unknown, but that doesn't mean it will be a complete disaster.

BelgianHawk

Reaction score
It's simply too soon to judge our 'current' OL as it will be a very different group starting the season.

Losing Okung hurts, but this is not the moment to judge our OL.
Not re-signing him frees up a lot of cap space reserved for his possible contract that can either be used to sign other OL players or fill other holes on the roster (which would allow them to focus even more on OL in the draft)

Sweezy for example is gone, but for less money than it would've cost to keep him, Lane was re-signed. As a result, the CB position is another position we don't really have to address in the draft.

If you look at the roster, apart from the OL there are no obvious needs. If they sign a replacement for Irvin (could be higher end than planned due to the money available without Okung) they could even go OL with the first 4 picks without neglecting a position of need.
That's a great starting position entering the draft. Most teams would be happy to have just 1 position group that needs improving. They can focus on getting the best OL player available with every pick or get a player from another position they valued much higher.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
mrt144":26gx5x15 said:

what else do you love?

should help me decide on a few other things

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
The consistently less-than-desirable state of our offensive line makes me questions our hopes and dreams. It makes me litter more frequently and donate less to charity. It makes the soles of my shoes come out when I take them off. It makes me make more choices I will soon regret. It makes me more cynical about the world. We need to trade for players who aren't on the trading-block, acquire them for less than what they're worth, and make them restructure their contracts. Only then will flowers grow and hope reign supreme.

I think our line could be better.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkNuts":vgo8op68 said:
mrt144":vgo8op68 said:

what else do you love?

should help me decide on a few other things

Big Butts, Strong Indicas, Cheese, and Italo Disco

firebee

Reaction score
mrt144":2waexku6 said:

I'm loving the possibilities on this line. Like that we're going with a younger semi-veteran movement on the line in free agency and going for depth to create some real competition. Our line can't get any worse than it was last year, especially if we're letting a good group of young guys slug it out for the starting spot, instead of penciling someone in. Would Russell Wilson be as good as he is if he had to start behind a veteran QB that was already penciled in as the starter his rookie year. Michael Bennett? Kam Chancellor? Richard Sherman? Doug Baldwin? Brandon Browner? Jermaine Kearse? Who were these guys before they got here and earned their spot on the team? I don't think they were highly touted 1st round picks or high cost brandname free agents.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I hate our current line and fear Wilson getting severely hurt. I love our staff but they have failed miserably on the offensive line. Not a single starter left from the SB 48 team. This team is unstoppable when the defense can't get pressure.