I really HATE the salary cap.

Highlordb

Reaction score
The salary cap is the only reason crap teams think they actually have a chance to do well, a few acquisitions and they can contend. I think it brings more competition to the league. Additionally, we don't have a dynasty (Yet). We need more then one superbowl to be considered a dynasty.

Basis4day

Reaction score
The only reason to think that is because of Paul Allen's $.

sutz

Reaction score
The salary cap is why we were able to catch up to teams like the 'Skins and 'Boys. With unlimited spending, they would still be signing better players than us.

What most people really mean is, "I hate the salary cap now."

edogg23

Reaction score
You have to trust in PC/JS and know that sometimes they will have to do things that are not popular with the fans because of it, but it is the reason why they are the best at what they do. I for one am already prepared that this might be Lynches and Sherman's last year with the hawks :(

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":87xdg2v6 said:
WE have the richest owner in the league and cannot keep a dynasty alive because of it.
Damn the Cowboys and Whiners of yesteryear.
Who is with me here?

But.....We are the reigning SB champions!!!!!!

We lost role players. Happens every year.. especially to Super Bowl Champions

Sorry I'm not losing sleep over having Chris Maragos and Clinton McDonald leave. We have young talent that will replenish the roster, and future draft picks that will do the same.

As for the cap.. I like it. It prevents the teams like Dallas and San Francisco from signing everyone. Just because Paul Allen is filthy rich doesnt mean he'd go on a spending spree either. Many MLB owners are filthy rich and try to be as cheap as humanly possible.

drdiags

Reaction score
Salary cap is tough for a team that has hit the mother lode on developing young talent. It allows lazy or inept FOs to reap the benefit of others investment in development. But as someone pointed out, it can have beneficial results. I wouldn't mind if the league allowed teams to go past the cap, if they were willing to pay a luxury tax like the NBA or MLB.

What is going to be of interest is next season or so when the team will have 3 more players move into the >$9M/yr category with Earl - ~$9.5M-$10M/yr, Sherman ~$10M/yr and Wilson ~??/yr (not going to start that argument again).

I am with the OP. But just like the stupid 53-man roster with 7 game-day inactives, isn't going to change anytime soon.

OP
OP
Seahwkgal

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I don't watch Baseball and I don't give a hoot about it. Boring game.
I understand why there is a cap but now we have an owner that could outspend the others. If YOUR favorite team could afford it like the old way, don't tell me it would be boring. Y'all are full of it if you think that. :p

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Yeah, this is still a loaded team.

We can't pay everyone but we also don't waste any resources in going out and finding players and guys that will compete 100% to fill a role and buy into the system.

We lost Schofield (a mostly inactive player) but the Seahawks still have some talented pass-rushers that fit his role in Benson Mayowa and Bruce Irvin that will be future contributors... a reason why Chris Clemons was let go... cheaper and younger but still productive or potentially productive prospects.

We lost McDonald, whom I love but felt he was the lesser needed McD Bro (hopefully McDaniel re-signs) because the Seahawks have a some very talented and cheaper guys who will compete like Jordan Hill, Michael Brooks, and a 2013 LEO prospect Kennetth Boatwright who went from 255 to 275 and could possibly peak at 290 and become something if he works hard enough.

We lost Margagos, an ace STer, but STs are dime a dozen, if Shead , an ex-collegiate FS turned Pro CB turned all-around DB replaces Margagos, you might not get a guy who is quicker/more agile than Margagos but you do get a guy who is bigger, stronger, taller, lengthier plus more explosive, and pound for pound, is faster.

We might lose Tate but we still have Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, Lockette, we have potential quality WRs like Chris Matthews, Phil Bates, Arceto Clark, plus a whole draft... not to mention the Seahawks can elect to move 6'5, 250 (4.5 speed) Luke Willson to WR (who I believe could top out at 4.4-4.45 if he weighed 225-235) if they sign Jermichael Finley... and they probably wouldn't have to release Zach Miller but if they did Anthony McCoy could reasonably fill his role.

It sucks from losing players, but our Championship Window is still wide open... the best thing though is our CORE talent is still intact and getting better which each year of experience accumalated... and we are merely losing very good role players that can be replaced.

two dog

Reaction score
Remember when Tampa Bay rented players to win a World Series?
It all went up in vapor the next year.

Watch what happens to the Patriot "dynasty" when Tom Brady retires.

nwgamer

Reaction score
Crizilla":wc3rsa30 said:
I disagree. The cap makes the game more exciting and fair. MLB needs a cap.

AMEN :13: I don't even watch baseball anymore... the team with the most money wins 90% of the time. It's stupid.

Basketball is a joke as well these days with all the flopping and "selling" of fouls. It's stupid too. They look like a bunch of pansies out there.

OP
OP
Seahwkgal

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Remember when Tampa Bay rented players to win a World Series?
It all went up in vapor the next year.
Like I just said;I don't follow Baseball. Boring sport to me.
Watch what happens to the Patriot "dynasty" when Tom Brady retires.
I agree. Which is why we better a)protect Russell and b) Pay Russell. :thirishdrinkers:

Largent80

Reaction score
Another aspect I don't like about it is, with it in place, guys that got their payday have to be asked to renegotiate, and that puts players in awkward positions.

Zach Miller to me is a vital player with his blocking skillset. He more than likely will be asked to do so. Finley cannot block like Miller and to me would be a large step down @ TE.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Maybe they should do something like soccer where they can have a part or 2 who don't count against the salary cap. If every team could pay 2 or 3 players and it not count against the cap this would be awesome.

MVP53

Reaction score
jblaze":7xklxi4a said:
Caps are good for professional sports and parity. The MLB needs a cap. The Yankees have a single player than makes more than the entire Marlins team, that's just stupid.

The salary cap puts a premium on intelligence and prudence. Both attributes PC and JS have in spades. We thrive in this environment so it actually works in our favor.

The problem with MLB is not the Yankees or Dodgers. At least those teams are investing their profits into their product. The problem is the MLB has too many teams like Houston & Miami with embarassing payrolls in the $20-$40M range.

I think it's good the NFL has a minimum spending floor to prevent that kind of thing. I think that would benefit MLB more than a salary cap.

BamKam

Reaction score
Salary cap makes winning SB's much more impressive. I think it is great as it adds a different element to football, the front office plays a much bigger role in championship runs. Micromanaging your team is almost just as important as how well you coach them on the field. Makes the league interesting and opens up the door of oppertunity to any team, big or small market.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
We benefited from it to win a championship now we are paying the piper for success.

I do however think it's only bad teams that whine about the salary cap, you can use the cap to your advantage or you can use it as an excuse to not acquire available talent. The Raiders let a good LT and DE/DT walk to save money instead of shedding other contracts to re-sign their players. They could of afforded both, just chose not too. JS and PC could of went that route with Mebane and Red but they didn't and we won a SB, plus added Miller and Rice in FA, the Raiders had an opportunity to do this during FA this season, they just punted another 3 years away from being competitive. Crappy front offices just use the cap as a scapegoat.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Nothing to worry about. It's best to lose a player or get rid of a player a year or two early rather than the opposite. I know there was no salary cap in baseball, but remember the aging Mariners of Edgar, Buhner, Olerud, Wilson, Boone. Those guys all got old at once and look at where it left the M's. Having to pay them, when few of them were worth it.

Maragos, McDonald, Schofield are probably the easiest to replace.

Clemons and Red still have good football left, but how much is the question, and their salaries were way to high for back ups. If they were both Seahawks next year, I doubt either would start over Bennett or Avril (You can call Red a starter, but with the amount of spread offenses being ran, his time on the field is limited)

Tate and Thurmond: would rather not lose, but you see it all the time to Super Bowl winners.

kearly

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2jj4nb3j said:
We need to win another SB before we can even talk about dynasties.

I know a dynasty when I see one. We are the 80s/90s 49ers for the 2010s and 2020s NFL.