I think Servais deserves Manager of the Year

ivotuk

Reaction score
And Daniel Kramer makes a great argument for it on MLB's site.

"...but it was the way he oversaw the Mariners that proved so impactful. The Mariners for the second straight year had a knack for winning close games, leading MLB with 34 wins in one-run contests while racking up 13 walk-off wins (which tied a franchise record) and 40 comeback wins (third in the AL). They were also 11-5 in extra innings, the AL’s best win percentage.

For an award that is so challenging to put statistical context to, these numbers underscore how Servais managed his roster -- particularly the bullpen -- late in games while walking a tightrope each night. The Mariners simply didn’t blow teams out, so their path to success required more tactics than most clubs from their manager."

Daniel Kramer

sutz

Reaction score
Second year in a row he did a MOY worthy job IMO.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Francona won it. I wonder if the Ray decision changed any voters minds.

Threedee

Reaction score
Francona won it. I wonder if the Ray decision changed any voters minds.
I wasn't happy with it, but, at a certain point, your GM hands you the previous season's Cy Young winner. That's going to make most managers stubborn about trying to make him work.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
710 said that Servais got ONE first place vote? Look, I'm not a big Servais fan, but one? And Baker got 3. Yeah, because managing the Astro's is SOOOOO tough.