If JS, what would you take for Harvin post '14?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":17fjokca said:
I would trade him for Bill Gates's bank account, Neil DeGrasse Tyson's IQ, and Scarlett Johansson's phone number.

Would you settle for John Schneider's head on Scarlett Johansson's body?

A

Anonymous

One, Beeeelllion dollars. :mrgreen:

In my mind, the Seahawks are the only NFL team with enough depth and options to even attempt to keep a guy like Harvin healthy. As we all saw last season, the FO iced him and trotted him out exactly when they wanted to, and not necessarily because they had to. That careful usage of Harvin was the check-mate move on the whole deal. We got where we needed to go, and then used his services to secure the deal.

So far this year, Harvin is being very carefully utilized as a decoy (among other cool things) that are still going to limit is involvement while maximizing the intangibles to make the offense effective and preserve his health. The FO (undoubtedly) has assigned a medical task force to monitor his every nervous sensation. No way to know for sure, but I'd bet a chunk of the farm that every bone, joint, ligament and muscle is analyzed several times a day.

Any other team pays for Harvin (with a king's ransom) and the ownership and coaching will be salivating to get him on the field on every play. The won't be patient and calculating, their expenditure will need to produce results NOW! As a result, they'll end up having to lock him in a hyperbaric chamber by game 5.

Even if a team is able to miraculously keep him relatively healthy into the stretch, there will be a ton of film on him for defenses to examine. By that time there might even be way figured out to contain him (if that is possible). Looking around the current NFL, I'm hard-pressed to identify a franchise that would be in a position to offer what they would need to, and yet be smart about his usage. Even Belichick couldn't control himself.

frosted21

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3cg6okon said:
Three (3) first round and two (2) second round draft picks is the least that I would trade Percy for.

Yikes

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I enjoy thought experiments like this.

I don't have the cap numbers quite right, and I didn't take into account dead money, but here is what it would take for me.

I would send Percy to Cleveland (so we never have to face off against him) for Joe Thomas and a 1st round pick. I would try to get Alex Mack in the deal too.

Percy and Thomas have similar cap hits and Thomas earns about 3 million more than Okung. We could get that back by trading Unger for picks.

Russell Wilson with more time can just about make up for the loss of Harvin.

- bsd

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Why the hell would the man trade Harvin and waste so much cap space a year after making a trade that got us to the Super Bowl?

Not trying to attack the OP but I don't see why anyone would trade a player just after signing him to 6 years $60M+

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1vi2bcrw said:
I would trade him for Bill Gates's bank account, Neil DeGrasse Tyson's IQ, and Scarlett Johansson's phone number.
I'd just go for Scarlett's number, but I'm a slut so............ :229031_shrug:

Seriously, I'm not ready to trade Percy at this point. I want to see how he settles in to this offense over the course of a season.

themunn

Reaction score
I thought the price we paid for Harvin in the first place was steep (1st, 3rd and 7th). Since then he missed almost an entire year to injury and his biggest strength is that he's a decoy.

I'd be happy with a 1st

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
If trading Harvin magically erased him off the cap, I would trade him for a swap of 7ths.

Unfortunately if we trade him we take a cap hit just like if we cut him.

I know a lot of you disagree but I still think he is the most overrated and overpayed player in the league. He is a RB who gets paid like an ELITE #1 WR. There is no doubt in my mind that we would be better on offense if we had a #1 WR instead of Harvin. He is becoming less effective as a decoy with each game and he isnt putting up any stats.

4 games, 133 receiving yards.

We absolutely would be better with a true #1 WR who requires double teams and still puts up numbers. A rb/wr hybrid that only plays part time will never be as valuable as a #1 wr.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":33x2bmf8 said:
Why the hell would the man trade Harvin and waste so much cap space a year after making a trade that got us to the Super Bowl?

Not trying to attack the OP but I don't see why anyone would trade a player just after signing him to 6 years $60M+

Because the trade and contract were both mistakes.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":10g580op said:

I believe that neither of these statements are true correct.

Let's remember and revisit this come week 16.

-bsd

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":mneos0eh said:
If trading Harvin magically erased him off the cap, I would trade him for a swap of 7ths.

Unfortunately if we trade him we take a cap hit just like if we cut him.

I know a lot of you disagree but I still think he is the most overrated and overpayed player in the league. He is a RB who gets paid like an ELITE #1 WR. There is no doubt in my mind that we would be better on offense if we had a #1 WR instead of Harvin. He is becoming less effective as a decoy with each game and he isnt putting up any stats.

4 games, 133 receiving yards.

We absolutely would be better with a true #1 WR who requires double teams and still puts up numbers. A rb/wr hybrid that only plays part time will never be as valuable as a #1 wr.
He also had a ton of yards and 3 TD's wipeout via penalty last game alone.

You don't like him, that's fine.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3lxs3w4b said:

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Some great comments and appreciated. I confess I totally spaced the potential cap hit. A few sighted this thread as "premature" and while I respect your position, you do realize this was a hypothetical question, right? I am being optimistic and suggesting Harvin will continue this year with what I feel has been a stellar campaign. With that, Harvin, imo, will be worth as much or more than ever In trade value. He came to us with major concerns on and off the field, he's all but erased those concerns and again, I am very happy with Mr. Harvin atm.

BUT...other than Holmy's kneejerk in trading Ahman Green, we as an org have been anything but premature in moving players (not counting the 1500 fringe player moves, lol). No reason to name anyone in particular, but we have made some mistakes in getting too attached to a player and carrying him (and his contract) because he was a fan favorite and / or just because of good old fashioned loyalty. While the Pats are currently not themselves, I do like the way they operate. When they feel a player has reached his peak in trade value, they contemplate, then sometimes orchestrate a move. I'm all about loyalty, but I'd like that loyalty directed 1st towards the franchise, 2nd to any given player.

I do understand some of you have not had the chance to see John Ross. Whether Dawg, Duck or inbetween, I encourage you to youtube the kid. Like Harvin (again) the boxscores don't show his impact, nor the TDs he's lost to penalty. Check him out and see if you agree there is definite similarity between he and Harvin. Am I suggesting this kid is Harvin II? That would be a bit premature, but I do believe the benefits (cap hit aside) in my proposal would out-weigh the risks and / or learning curve.

I will end this by thanking Percy Harvin for eliminating my concerns related to his history. I think this group we have, staff and team, have had a hugely positive influence on him. With that, it would be nice of him to offer us something of a rebate, just to show loyalty is a 2 way street. ; )

Oh ...LET'S GO HAWKS!!!! Damn I'm pumped for this game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
pmedic920":t6oo86e2 said:
I'd trade him AND next two first round pix for WATT.
Figure out Cap later.

I'm aware they won't let him go.
I'm just fantasizing.
I love Watt, but unless Watt is an all world offensive lineman (in the Walter Jones mode) I'd rather pass.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Bevell is trying to go through Harvin too much in my opinion. There ARE other receivers.

red grenadine

Reaction score
He's a crutch for Bevell and completely misused. Honestly, he's (edited for language) up the offense with Bevell's fascination with him getting the balls on screens and sweeps