If Quinn is hired as HC...

KinesProf

Reaction score
Yes, this is true, but let's zoom out a bit here. How many coaches has this NOT been true for? It's rare that an NFL coach completely reinvents themselves. It has happened, is Quinn one of those characters? I doubt it.

I will say this about Quinn though, at least he had some good coordinator hires. I don't think Shannahan coming to Seattle as OC would've ever been a thing under Carroll.
Plenty, absolutely.

But I will never be opposed to giving a guy a chance beyond their first Head Coaching gig, unless they're a trainwreck type with predictable outcomes (Gase, Josh McDaniels). I have seen enough guys, relatively recently too, win their first Super Bowl after not winning one at their first HC'ing job (Reid, Dungy, Carroll, Belichikck, Arians, Coughlin, Vermeil) to not be opposed to a retread.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Plenty, absolutely.

But I will never be opposed to giving a guy a chance beyond their first Head Coaching gig, unless they're a trainwreck type with predictable outcomes (Gase, Josh McDaniels). I have seen enough guys, relatively recently too, win their first Super Bowl after not winning one at their first HC'ing job (Reid, Dungy, Carroll, Belichikck, Arians, Coughlin, Vermeil) to not be opposed to a retread.
I'm saying, compare it to the number of re-treads that fail. Some of those coaches such as Dungy and Reid were still great coaches with a big pedigree. Bruce Arians was a good HC on the Cardinals as well. My issue with Dan Quinn is without Shannahan, his teams were extremely mediocre, his defenses weren't that great. Not a fan of Quinn.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I'm saying, compare it to the number of re-treads that fail. Some of those coaches such as Dungy and Reid were still great coaches with a big pedigree. Bruce Arians was a good HC on the Cardinals as well. My issue with Dan Quinn is without Shannahan, his teams were extremely mediocre, his defenses weren't that great. Not a fan of Quinn.
What is that number? Genuinely asking, as I am not sure.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The problem w/ Quinn is that keeping him would be like trying to preserve the Carroll era without keeping Carroll.
That almost sets Quinn up to fail. It also does not cleanse our palette, we will be expecting Carroll-era production/results and that won't happen.

I like Quinn as a DC. Concerned that hiring him as HC sets us up for a pale imitation of Carroll era football. But also feel that almost any HC that replaces Carroll is doomed to fail, for reasons that range from current roster, to what's in the cupboards, to how expectations have to be reset among the fanbase. We will see.