I predict JS will make a bold choice for HC

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I'll keep this short. Now that JS has complete control for the first time as Seattle's GM, I think he's gonna want to make the bold choice and go for a young up-and-coming guy as the next HC, rather than go with the "safe & conservative" pick. I think he's gonna pick someone that'll get the fan base hyped up for next season. That's why I think he'll either go with Ben Johnson or Mike Macdonald.

I'll add this, I hope it's Ben Johnson. He knows how to use TE's and a 2 RB set. Johnson can give Seattle an identity again.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I like Ben Johnson a lot and would love to pair him with someone like Jesse Minter from Michigan or Nate Dreiling from Utah for DC. He's extremely well spoken and oozes confidence/intelligence, the more interviews I've watched of him the more I'd be thrilled with him being hired. Let him basically be the OC ala McVay/Shanahan and allow a young, aggressive defensive coach reshape the core scheme. Honestly watching Michigan they have similar structure to what Pete runs, albeit with some more pressure, but a lot of cover 3/single high looks and those guys are coached to TACKLE man. So the scheme being brought in wouldn't drastically change, it'll just be a new voice preaching it. Very similar to Baltimore with Mike MacDonald (who I agree would also love, though he doesn't 'ooze' confidence how Ben does).

I will say - listening to former players they unanimously want Dan Quinn. Across the board they think he's grown from what happened in ATL and deserves another chance. He carries the same mantra as Pete and they feel the culture that Pete built will continue on under DQ. We can argue about Pete's message not reaching this roster (which I think JS will be taking a blowtorch to) but the outpouring of love for him shows what he built and attempted to continue on got guys to buy in. My only concern with him is wondering is he just an excellent DC rather than HC. There's been plenty of amazing DC's who flame out as a HC because it is such a different skillset managing the whole operation. He's fiery, gets his guys to buy in, is an amazing DL coach and defensive coach in general, and from what I remember never lost the locker room in Atlanta, even after it was starting to fall apart. If DQ hits a homerun on his OC and DC, I'd be alright with it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm nowhere near deep enough into the coordinator scene to know who's a viable candidate, but I do agree that it'll be a bold move.

JS's been waiting for this opportunity his entire tenure in Seattle, and he's not going to land on Quinn or another safe hire.

Nothing's wrong with Quinn, but he's just another defensive Pete disciple. If you want that, you would have just kept Pete.

Jville

Reaction score
I'll keep this short. Now that JS has complete control for the first time as Seattle's GM, I think he's gonna want to make the bold choice and go for a young up-and-coming guy as the next HC, rather than go with the "safe & conservative" pick. I think he's gonna pick someone that'll get the fan base hyped up for next season. That's why I think he'll either go with Ben Johnson or Mike Macdonald.

I'll add this, I hope it's Ben Johnson. He knows how to use TE's and a 2 RB set. Johnson can give Seattle an identity again.

I'm all for running the football. But, what's he going to have to work with at tight end?

hoxrox

Reaction score
If Ben Johnson can make Goff look good, he can make Geno look good (assuming Geno is retained). And I like their 1-2 punch running game too. It would be an upgrade over our unimaginative run game last year.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I hope you're right. I'd love to see JS go after Johnson or Macdonald. I fantasize about what they'd be like together on the same team but that is not likely to happen. As much as I'd love to see Michigan keep Harbaugh and Minter, if they choose to leave Ann Arbor I'd be excited to see Johnson and Minter together in Seattle. Unfortunately I think if Harbaugh does leave for the NFL it's likely he goes to San Diego and takes Minter with him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
12AngryHawks

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I like Ben Johnson a lot and would love to pair him with someone like Jesse Minter from Michigan or Nate Dreiling from Utah for DC. He's extremely well spoken and oozes confidence/intelligence, the more interviews I've watched of him the more I'd be thrilled with him being hired. Let him basically be the OC ala McVay/Shanahan and allow a young, aggressive defensive coach reshape the core scheme. Honestly watching Michigan they have similar structure to what Pete runs, albeit with some more pressure, but a lot of cover 3/single high looks and those guys are coached to TACKLE man. So the scheme being brought in wouldn't drastically change, it'll just be a new voice preaching it. Very similar to Baltimore with Mike MacDonald (who I agree would also love, though he doesn't 'ooze' confidence how Ben does).

I will say - listening to former players they unanimously want Dan Quinn. Across the board they think he's grown from what happened in ATL and deserves another chance. He carries the same mantra as Pete and they feel the culture that Pete built will continue on under DQ. We can argue about Pete's message not reaching this roster (which I think JS will be taking a blowtorch to) but the outpouring of love for him shows what he built and attempted to continue on got guys to buy in. My only concern with him is wondering is he just an excellent DC rather than HC. There's been plenty of amazing DC's who flame out as a HC because it is such a different skillset managing the whole operation. He's fiery, gets his guys to buy in, is an amazing DL coach and defensive coach in general, and from what I remember never lost the locker room in Atlanta, even after it was starting to fall apart. If DQ hits a homerun on his OC and DC, I'd be alright with it.
I get that former players love & respect DQ, it's understandable, they were coached by him and had tremendous success. But it's a new era in Seattle & no one on the roster (assuming Wagner doesn't return) will have had a relationship with him. As much as I respect the former guys, I hope, and believe they will, let JS make this decision on his own terms

I know I just floated his name out there, but people here have convinced me that it's time to move on and start completely fresh.

OP
OP
12AngryHawks

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I'm all for running the football. But, what's he going to have to work with at tight end?
Isn't Parkinson still under contract for one more year? Plus, I think JS & the new coach will have to decide on what to do with Dissly & Fant. I think Dissly is for sure gone, but I kinda hope they can convince Fant to stay. Fant will need to be convinced that he'll actually be utilized. And then they could always add someone via FA/the draft.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I find myself torn on what my philosophy would be to be honest.

One one hand, I love having a defensive HC and the team toughness and attitude that can come with it when it is at it's best - peak Carroll and Belichick for example, and what their best teams did to Peyton Manning's great offenses.

On the other hand, if you get a great offensive playcaller to be your HC you don't have to worry about losing him: see Holmgren, Reid, Shanahan, McVay. Whereas, if you have a great OC/QB developer they are getting poached sooner rather than later.

I've tried to Google it up, and sorry I can't find the link, but the rumour was that Jonathan Gannon was Schneider's target if this had happened last year. And I think Gannon acquitted himself pretty well in Arizona this season given their lack of talent.

Jac

Reaction score
I think so too. I think he'll be look for his version of Shanahan/McVay to compete against them.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
The whole point of letting Pete go is to not have someone else just be Pete, like Pete or share in Pete’s culture, or else you’d just retain Pete who openly stated that he expected to be back and wanted to be back. So hard pass on Quinn.

This is the teams chance to try something new and someone new. If JS is leading the charge I think he’ll go more Offensive oriented HC and look to draft a QB round one.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think they made the move with Pete so that they can talk to someone NOW before they get away.

As there are restrictions on interviews with coaches whos teams are still playing, (interviews arent allowed until after the divisional round) i think he has his eye on someone not currently coaching a team in the playoffs.

A current college coach maybe?..

chris98251

Reaction score
Harbaugh would get us wins but he is a 5 year and burns his way out of town coach, he would also tear down everything built, JS and him would clash I think when it came to players and the draft.

This is Seattle not New York or Chicago, PC is rampant still so you won't get a fiery uncontrolled personality. Although George Carl and Sweet Lou were fun to watch when they were here it's different these days.

I don't think JS goes with unproven talent either, for him this is his chance, he wants a full count bases loaded guy that can hit it out of the park knowing the ball is going straight down the middle.

Jville

Reaction score
Isn't Parkinson still under contract for one more year? Plus, I think JS & the new coach will have to decide on what to do with Dissly & Fant. I think Dissly is for sure gone, but I kinda hope they can convince Fant to stay. Fant will need to be convinced that he'll actually be utilized. And then they could always add someone via FA/the draft.

Parkinson played in 6 games and logged 4.6% of available snaps in 2020 ..... his rookie year as a 4th round pick. He has completed his rookie contract. So it's anyone's guess as to where his second contract might be. Fant will become a free agent at the conclusion of this contract year. Where Fant might sign is unknown.

Jac

Reaction score
I think they made the move with Pete so that they can talk to someone NOW before they get away.

As there are restrictions on interviews with coaches whos teams are still playing, (interviews arent allowed until after the divisional round) i think he has his eye on someone not currently coaching a team in the playoffs.

A current college coach maybe?..
If the Rams beat the Lions this weekend (very possible), then Ben Johnson could start lining up interviews. That's an example of a guy they may be wanting to get ahead of. I suppose it could be Quinn as well, but that feels too safe and predictable for JS this time around. I think JS will want to be original.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Parkinson played in 6 games and logged 4.6% of available snaps in 2020 ..... his rookie year as a 4th round pick. He has completed his rookie contract. So it's anyone's guess as to where his second contract might be. Fant will become a free agent at the conclusion of this contract year. Where Fant might sign is unknown.
If you go with Ben Johnson (and assumedly a commitment to a two TE set) putting $$ into Fant & Colby makes sense.

If you’re not emphasizing the TE, Fant is probably too expensive and you hope for a mid level contract on Parkinson and restructure / cut-resign on Uncle Will.

Jville

Reaction score
If you go with Ben Johnson (and assumedly a commitment to a two TE set) putting $$ into Fant & Colby makes sense.

If you’re not emphasizing the TE, Fant is probably too expensive and you hope for a mid level contract on Parkinson and restructure / cut-resign on Uncle Will.

Fant is one of the faster tight ends in the league. I would think he'll command $6 million per year or something north of that as a primary receiver from a team in need of immediate production. Notably north given that Fant's blocking is also improving.

Parkinson is still growing. Speculation over his peak ceiling is open ended. His current value is north of $4 million per year. Possibly well north depending on the eye of the beholder.

Last edited: