If you have not watched Wilson's interview on Charlie Rose

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Rose focused on letting the character traits of Wilson shine through, not focusing on his abilities as a football player.

I thought it was a strong interview. It showed where his drive and determination came from, it gave some nice background (that we had all heard but it weaved it all together with context) and it touched on who he was as a person.

Someone noted that he did not end the interview with "Go Hawks" and that showed what a good job Rose did. At some point it stopped being an interview and started just being someone talking with Wilson. So the answers were more real.

The interesting thing about Russell is that he makes people believe in themselves and the group, when he himself had so many reasons to fail. There were so many points that things could have slipped to the side, from losing his starting role, to joining a new team, to coming in as a rookie where another QB was already the heir apparent.

Two parts stood out among the rest for me, one, when he is talking about the thrill of leading a team for the winning score and you can see his eyes light up. Two, when he is talking about that kid thanking him and he has almost a survivor's guilt for not being able to do more. (Which I recognize from a few years long ago working with shelters, you can't help everyone and you cannot even help all the people you think you can help....so you just have to make differences wherever you can)

He truly seems like a good guy, and that is the part I appreciate. I don't even think you have to be a sports fan to appreciate someone with that kind of a force of will and the genuine ability to get others to see greatness in themselves. That isn't fawning, it is just less common than you would hope.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
If Wilson plays 10 years total at his current pace, he is easily #1 in Seattle Sports History.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1gut0ls2 said:
If Wilson plays 10 years total at his current pace, he is easily #1 in Seattle Sports History.

You could make the case that he already is.

Griffey Jr., Largent, Gary Payton, Ichiro............none of them brought us a championship. If you forced me to choose, I'd say Griffey is still #1 just because he put Seattle sports on the map and helped generate enough interest to build Safeco (then cried like a baby and got traded). Never the less, right now it's Griffey........but not by much IMO.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1sk1st14 said:
Rose focused on letting the character traits of Wilson shine through, not focusing on his abilities as a football player.

I thought it was a strong interview. It showed where his drive and determination came from, it gave some nice background (that we had all heard but it weaved it all together with context) and it touched on who he was as a person.

Someone noted that he did not end the interview with "Go Hawks" and that showed what a good job Rose did. At some point it stopped being an interview and started just being someone talking with Wilson. So the answers were more real.

The interesting thing about Russell is that he makes people believe in themselves and the group, when he himself had so many reasons to fail. There were so many points that things could have slipped to the side, from losing his starting role, to joining a new team, to coming in as a rookie where another QB was already the heir apparent.

Two parts stood out among the rest for me, one, when he is talking about the thrill of leading a team for the winning score and you can see his eyes light up. Two, when he is talking about that kid thanking him and he has almost a survivor's guilt for not being able to do more. (Which I recognize from a few years long ago working with shelters, you can't help everyone and you cannot even help all the people you think you can help....so you just have to make differences wherever you can)

He truly seems like a good guy, and that is the part I appreciate. I don't even think you have to be a sports fan to appreciate someone with that kind of a force of will and the genuine ability to get others to see greatness in themselves. That isn't fawning, it is just less common than you would hope.
Charlie Rose has been a really good interviewer for a long time. Agree with your points about this becoming a conversation between 2 people rather than an interview.

"When the Seahawks drafted me, I told Paul Allen, our GM John Schneider and Coach Carroll that they just made the best decision of their lives".
Chills.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2yjisszw said:
**SPOILER ALERT**

He is the MVP at #3 in my all-time roster.

You had to go and do that, didn't you.

Day=wasted. Sigh.

Jville

Reaction score
Outstanding Interview.

Appreciate the post and link.

JMR

Reaction score
How lucky are we? Hard to believe something this great fell into our laps. Russell has as many SB trophies as home losses in his short career. If that pace holds, even for a couple more years, this kid just may turn into a pretty good player.

And to think the Jags picked a punter right in front of us taking Russell.....

sc85sis

Reaction score
He sounds so much like Pete when talking about how you can always do more and how exciting that is.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but Russ has got to be the most boring interview of any professional athlete on the planet.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RW's reminiscing of that 15 Year old inner-city kid was anything but Boring Tical21.
It was obviously a high point, and rewarding as all get out for him to hear that kid tell him that he (RW) had changed his life.
It's one thing to point to a door, and tell someone to just walk through, but it's quite another to be able to inspire some inner city kid without much, if any support at home, to believe that it isn't just empty rhetoric.
I whole heartedly believe that having the love and support of your Mom and Dad, is a way under rated blessing for a positive outlook in a kid, I just find it hard as hell to even imagine growing up without that.
I think Russell Wilson really feels that it's his calling, to give back to the less fortunate, and inspire young people for all his worth.
It's a gift like that only has real value when it's passed on.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":r5t2q81t said:
"When the Seahawks drafted me, I told Paul Allen, our GM John Schneider and Coach Carroll that they just made the best decision of their lives'.
Chills.

Yet, and this is why I love the guy, he was still humble enough to thank them for the opportunity when he'd just won the Superbowl and had every right to be as cocky as anything.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Tical21":3qflx18y said:
I'm sorry, but Russ has got to be the most boring interview of any professional athlete on the planet.

I'll see you and then raise a Kaepernick and Harbaugh combo.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
As a young kid I was a HUGE Chicago Bulls fan and more specifically a HUGE Michael Jordan fan. I had--actually still have to this day--a Jordan/Bulls card collection that you wouldn't believe (hopefully sports cards value makes a recovery, because it will be worth something someday if so). But anyways, when he retired in 93 I cried--I was 6. When the rumors started coming that he would come back to the game obviously I was ecstatic, I had followed the Bulls, and obviously they weren't the same and wanted them to succeed, plus I wanted to see my favorite player again. He came back, as everyone knows, won 3 more titles. Retired again and I was again devastated. But then came back after being a part owner of the Wizards to play for them two seasons. What happened you might ask? Was I still a Bulls fan? No. I was now a Washington Wizards fan because of Michael Jordan. I have now since he retired AGAIN, not really followed the NBA. I do keep up on standings and players here and there but never like I did during the 90s and Jordan's heyday.

What am I getting at you might ask? Well, In the exact opposite mold of my fandom of the Bulls/Jordan, I have been a Seahawks fan to the core and to the blood. I have seen so many "Favorites" come and go, yet I have bled Seahawks forever. Brian Blades, James McKnight, Chad Brown, Anthony Simmons, Willie Williams, Darryl Williams, Joey Galloway (He was a huge favorite of mine, still have an autographed photo of his and I wore 84 as a receiver because of him), Koren Robinson, even Rick Mirer I remember being in a neighbors house as a tiny kid touting him as the next great thing--obviously I was wrong on that :p.

The point I'm trying to make is I have bled Seahawks football from the time I can remember no matter who donned the jersey and I hope Russell Wilson wears the blue and green until retirement because I fear that he COULD be the first player that makes me follow an individual as opposed to the team. In all honesty, I don't think I would ever do that with the Seahawks, but there's never been anyone make me question it like Russell Wilson.

randomation

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":13mmlcg7 said:
Tical21":13mmlcg7 said:

I'll see you and then raise a Kaepernick and Harbaugh combo.

Come on now watching them melt down is anything but boring, though at times it gets kind of sad.

zhawk

Reaction score
my wife is a casual fan, and even she laughs at how stupid harbaugh acts. and his QB is going down that path too.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
To anybody saying RW is a better Seattle athlete than Griffey Jr, LOL. RW is my favourite athlete in the world right now but C'MON MAN. Griffey in Seattle performed at one of the highest levels in the history of the sport when you take everything into account offensively & defensively. RW brought us a Super Bowl but he's not even top 5 at his position in the NFL. Not yet anyway. If Wilson ends up going to 6+ probowls and wins at least 2 Super Bowls then you can start the convo, but sure as hell not yet

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Jaws said Kaep would interview better than Russell on Charlie Rose. He said the defense carried him during the segment. He also says Russ is to short to see the prompters behind Charlie Rose and that Russell's big hands will cause him to miss handle the microphone.

lsheldon

Reaction score
The very first thing I keyed on in that interview was that twice early in his discussion he referred to himself as the "franchise quarterback". I take from that he's happy here and intends to stay as long as possible. First time I've heard him refer to himself like that. Good news for Seattle.

EDIT: And then 25 minutes in he says Carroll told him he wanted him to be the franchise Quarterback. Glad to see he's so excited about staying here.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
lsheldon":2r69ka1d said:
The very first thing I keyed on in that interview was that twice early in his discussion he referred to himself as the "franchise quarterback". I take from that he's happy here and intends to stay as long as possible. First time I've heard him refer to himself like that. Good news for Seattle.

EDIT: And then 25 minutes in he says Carroll told him he wanted him to be the franchise Quarterback. Glad to see he's so excited about staying here.

As I've reported previously.....money will never be the most important thing in the eyes of Russell Wilson. His ego is in check....unlike most NFL QB's.....because his aim in life is higher than an NFL QB.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
brimsalabim":ynkcq4ke said:
Jaws said Kaep would interview better than Russell on Charlie Rose. He said the defense carried him during the segment. He also says Russ is to short to see the prompters behind Charlie Rose and that Russell's big hands will cause him to miss handle the microphone.
This is genius, and VERY funny!