Illinois @ Washington

SeatownJay

Reaction score
This was the best by far the Dawgs have looked this year. I still don't trust Miles or the pass defense, though.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Good win for UW. I know it's early but it seems that Kasen Williams has completely disappeared. He didn't catch anything today and I'm not sure he was even a target. I don't think he had a reception last week either. He was such a high recruit coming out of high school.

razgriz737

Reaction score
hawkfan68":yjagwl3e said:
Good win for UW. I know it's early but it seems that Kasen Williams has completely disappeared. He didn't catch anything today and I'm not sure he was even a target. I don't think he had a reception last week either. He was such a high recruit coming out of high school.
I think he drew one PI call but yeah other than that he was invisible.

kearly

Reaction score
The broadcast didn't switch to UW until it was 28-5 in the early 2nd quarter. I saw about 3/4 of the game, and during that time Miles had 8 pass attempts total and UW scored no TDs on offense. What I did see was an avalanche of penalties. I'll take the win, but this has been one ugly looking season so far even in victory.

That said, Miles' armstrength seems to have come aways, to the point where it's no longer an abject liability. Fumble aside, he had a good game. Even if it's really obvious the offensive game plan is built around putting as little burden on his shoulders as possible.

Not to sound like a curmudgeon, but I've never been quite as high on Thompson as some (as an NFL prospect). He seems to have just enough speed to make big plays against college level athletes, but the lack of speed to spare makes me think he'll be "just a guy" in the NFL. His reliance on the big play reminds me more of Mason Foster than an instinctive stud LB like Donald Butler.

I'm not that high on Miles Jack either, and I think UCLA playing him at RB is a way of getting media types and scouts to overvalue him for a perceived boost in versatility and athleticism. You know what play solidified Andrew Luck's status as the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning? It was that ridiculous one handed catch he had when he lined up at WR. It wasn't even a QB play. Evaluators make a much bigger deal out of that kind of stuff than they probably should. Seeing Thompson make plays at RB is pretty cool, but I recognize that it's mostly a gimmick, and I wouldn't make as big a deal out of it as others would.

As far as UW, the defensive coordinator needs to do a better job than this, but the bottom line is that UW has the talent to beat good teams when they play mistake free football. This game was an illustration of how good UW could be even when they are making tons of mistakes. It gives me hope against teams like Stanford if UW can avoid coaching miscues and mental mistakes by players for 4 quarters.

davidonmi

Reaction score
well played game, but a lot to work on still.
For miles right now, I'll use the word jaworski was using to describe wilson late last september. random QB
You see bad reads, sacks, poor throws, etc from miles then he suddenly rips off a perfect pass in stride to ross for a 75 yarder.
Makes some more bad reads, fumbles, etc. makes another great play with his legs.
Can this team compete at a pac-12 level? I'll wait and see. Thankfully the pac-12 looks awful this year compared to last.
WSU is terrible,
Colorado is terrible
UCLA's offense is bad
Sark still can't be trusted on the road.
ASU may have lost kelly for the year
Arizona is underwhelming
Cal looks good but they need to win pac-12 games before I can really buy in
OSU struggled with PSU
Outside of Stanford and Oregon the schedule looks fairly easy. Maybe we'll still be able to squeak out 8-9 wins, but we would need to drastically improve on defense for that to happen

zifnab32

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1oeeqew2 said:
drrew":1oeeqew2 said:
DavidSeven":1oeeqew2 said:
Dixon can't cover that kid. Just getting consistently bested down the sideline. Nothing fancy.

Adjustments?

Not necessarily Dixon at fault, looks like a cover 2 and the safety isnt getting there. Baker on one and King on TD.

Don't know the assignment so I can't say for sure, but Dixon's the guy handing off the WR to empty space in both instances. Either needs to fix his own assignment or get on the same page with his safeties.

Not surprising they had a couple busts in coverage considering they played:

CB1 - Dixon, Senior with zero starts
CB2 - Sidney Jones, True freshman with zero starts (he looked pretty good!)
CB3 - Hale, True freshman with zero starts

FS - Budda Baker, True freshman with two starts
SS - Kevin King, True sophomore with two or three starts, can't remember

That is a yoooouuuuuuung secondary

drrew

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/WalterCampFF/status/511188868490870784[/tweet]

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":3vngvcx2 said:
The broadcast didn't switch to UW until it was 28-5 in the early 2nd quarter. I saw about 3/4 of the game, and during that time Miles had 8 pass attempts total and UW scored no TDs on offense. What I did see was an avalanche of penalties. I'll take the win, but this has been one ugly looking season so far even in victory.

That said, Miles' armstrength seems to have come aways, to the point where it's no longer an abject liability. Fumble aside, he had a good game. Even if it's really obvious the offensive game plan is built around putting as little burden on his shoulders as possible.

Not to sound like a curmudgeon, but I've never been quite as high on Thompson as some (as an NFL prospect). He seems to have just enough speed to make big plays against college level athletes, but the lack of speed to spare makes me think he'll be "just a guy" in the NFL. His reliance on the big play reminds me more of Mason Foster than an instinctive stud LB like Donald Butler.

I'm not that high on Miles Jack either, and I think UCLA playing him at RB is a way of getting media types and scouts to overvalue him for a perceived boost in versatility and athleticism. You know what play solidified Andrew Luck's status as the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning? It was that ridiculous one handed catch he had when he lined up at WR. It wasn't even a QB play. Evaluators make a much bigger deal out of that kind of stuff than they probably should. Seeing Thompson make plays at RB is pretty cool, but I recognize that it's mostly a gimmick, and I wouldn't make as big a deal out of it as others would.

As far as UW, the defensive coordinator needs to do a better job than this, but the bottom line is that UW has the talent to beat good teams when they play mistake free football. This game was an illustration of how good UW could be even when they are making tons of mistakes. It gives me hope against teams like Stanford if UW can avoid coaching miscues and mental mistakes by players for 4 quarters.
I think Shaq has the speed. I would bet he runs 4.5 or faster. I just think he plays slow. He is big and strong and fast. I think what is lacking is his instinct. He does the one thing you can't afford to do as a linebacker, think. He always pauses for a half second before he does anything. In coverage, against the run, rushing the passer. Anything. This makes him "catch" the play rather than attack it. It makes him look slow. My dad still thinks he translates to a safety as a pro. I don't see it, but I think it might be worth a try. I don't see him being nearly instinctive enough at LBer to flourish at the next level. He's gotta lotta Curry in him.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Tical21":1dib1kc5 said:
My dad still thinks he translates to a safety as a pro. I don't see it, but I think it might be worth a try. I don't see him being nearly instinctive enough at LBer to flourish at the next level.
That's interesting considering he was recruited as a safety out of high school and converted to linebacker.