I'm telling you, heat was a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabowl

Reaction score
Stop them on third down and heat becomes much much less of a factor. 42 minutes with D on the field and 65 degree temperature becomes a factor too.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The heat was a factor. Not an excuse, as both teams had to play in it, although the Chargers got to choose to wear white.

The question I have is why is the league scheduling afternoon games in southern California in mid September in Week 2 of the season? Before the Cards moved indoors, the league used to strive not to schedule day games at such a hot location so early in the season, and that was before they had another night game option in the form of Thursday Night Football that could be used to avoid that kind of environment.

I'm not complaining because it might have been a factor in our loss, but I do think that there is a safety factor here, not just for the players, but fans as well. There is no roof or awning covering Qualcom, and the possibility of fans suffering from heat stroke when you're in the direct sun with little circulation for hours when it's 100+ degrees (close to 115 on the field) is just as likely to cause harm as playing in an electrical storm.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The heat was a factor because San Diego had a gameplan that made the heat a factor.

We did not.

Largent80

Reaction score
I was there as well Cartire, and it most definitely WAS a huge factor. My wife almost got heat exhaustion and we were protected and had plenty of water.

I had binoculars and was watching the Hawks on the sideline and it was NOT a good sight. Players working out cramps, players bent over almost sick. Make no mistake people, the heat WAS a huge factor.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Heat WAS a factor, and I took a fair amount of abuse on NFL.com this past week due to my concerns around it being one.

That said, I was slightly disappointed with the defense LAST week because they seemed to me (by comparison to their play last year) a bit sluggish and just not as sharp...and it was more so this week regardless of the cause.

Credit also needs to be given to the Chargers D for effectively shutting down Percy and eeping Russell contained.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I'm still of the thought that both teams played in the same temps.
IMHO the amount of time our "D" spent on the field in the first half in the heat gassed them.
So in a round about way I agree but not straight up.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
endzorn":3027nbsu said:
RolandDeschain":3027nbsu said:
Cartire":3027nbsu said:
I keep reading all these threads.

Doom and gloom
Bevell blaming
Overlooking

Yada yada yada

Honestly, the biggest factor was heat. I was there. I felt it. I almost died in it.

I understand that SD played in the same heat. And it was unusually high for even SD standards. But it was the biggest factor.

-Our guys were not acclimated to it. It was noticeable from the beginning.
Jesus. It's not an excuse for anything, and how much it affects you is more mental/psychosomatic than anything else. Ever wonder how people in cold winter climates can wear t-shirts and shorts and barbecue outside in spring when it's 50 degrees out, but native southern Californians wear parkas, mittens, and scarfs in that temperature? You don't think they actually develop some magical skin covering or enzyme that makes the weather affect them less, do you? It affected some guys way more than others, and most of the ones affected by it most negatively, it didn't have to. The actual temperature also never got even close to 115 degrees.

-Signed, someone who has lived in Phoenix, Miami, Wisconsin, and Seattle.
Heat is a factor. I work in the oil field on one of the most physical jobs a person can do. I was also in an infantry unit in the army and worked in ridiculous heat. When you are putting in high effort in that heat it is absolutely laughable to suggest the effect is only mental. Your body can adapt over a period of days and weeks, but even then if you do too much you're actually putting yourself in danger. I've seen many, many, many people go down with anything from heat exhaustion to heat stroke. The latter is a scary deal. San Diego took steps to deal with it and Pete Carroll said Seattle did nothing. It showed. Give San Diego a lot of credit for being better prepared.
+1

rastahawk

Reaction score
Not an excuse maker but funny how all of us who were at the game say it was a factor and those who were watching from the comforts of their couches say it wasn't. Heat was a factor! Our team was a step behind their normal selves all day. Not because they're regressing, not because of game planning, getting exposed or whatever... Like Largent my wife did not do too well either. I was genuinely concerned she was going to drop any second. I live 45 mins from Qualcomm and we've had triple digit weather all week. The Chargers have the benefit of preparing in those conditions. We can't simulate that in Seattle.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the view. I've never exerted myself in that type of heat, but I don't have to, to realize that unless your body is somewhat accustomed to it, then your body is gonna be sluggish. That's why we were flat. No other reason.
This is not the team of old. These guys know how to prepare and game plan. But you can't game plan your body failing on you. Also not an excuse, but it cannot be dismissed.

AND we played a team that was firing on all cylinders who beat us. Congrats to them.

nsport

Reaction score
Almost the worst thing that could have happened was to have those quick strike scores in the first half. It really meant that our D could not get the rest they needed. You know it's bad with both Earl and Kam need to come out for IV's. Those are two of the most elite athletes in the NFL and they got killed by their working conditions.

On a side note - we went to the Seahawks/Huskies weekend down in Arizona last year and the Huskies got gassed from the heat - and we were in the stands and almost passed out from it. It was miserable - coming from modest heat here in Seattle to 40 degrees hotter will do it to you.

Largent80

Reaction score
rastahawk":34uggiff said:
Not an excuse maker but funny how all of us who were at the game say it was a factor and those who were watching from the comforts of their couches say it wasn't. Heat was a factor! Our team was a step behind their normal selves all day. Not because they're regressing, not because of game planning, getting exposed or whatever... Like Largent my wife did not do too well either. I was genuinely concerned she was going to drop any second. I live 45 mins from Qualcomm and we've had triple digit weather all week. The Chargers have the benefit of preparing in those conditions. We can't simulate that in Seattle.

I said the very first sentence you said here to my wife once we got home. Easy to point a million fingers if you didn't experience it.

Great to finally meet you yesterday and I'm glad your and my wives are ok.

Skansi82

Reaction score
As someone who thought heat wouldn't be a factor, I can say that the heat definitely did have an impact on the game. I don't think it was because Pete didn't prepare for it(there were misters, shades, etc.), darker uniforms, or our team had conditioning issues. I think it was a combination of execution by them, quick touchdowns by us, poor scheme and tackling by our defense, and a turnover that created the perfect storm to make the heat a factor. In terms of keeping our defense on the field that first half couldn't have gone better for them.

If our linebackers don't figure out how to cover somebody, and our elite safeties can't make plays over the top on balls that are in the air forever, our defense will be just as winded against Denver next weekend. I predict that the Hawks and the LOB in particular will bounce back and make a statement this coming Sunday.........should be fun to watch!!

Rob12

Reaction score
Is San Diego used to that heat too? I've heard people say it was 118 on the field. Maybe they are more acclimated to a warmer climate, but 118 for anyone is tough conditions. Let's not act like it was easy for the Chargers, either. I hate this excuse, and that is exactly what it is. We didn't execute. We lost because we were outplayed by a team that had to play in irregular weather conditions, just like us.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1bwd7ui8 said:
Cartire":1bwd7ui8 said:
I keep reading all these threads.

Doom and gloom
Bevell blaming
Overlooking

Yada yada yada

Honestly, the biggest factor was heat. I was there. I felt it. I almost died in it.

I understand that SD played in the same heat. And it was unusually high for even SD standards. But it was the biggest factor.

-Our guys were not acclimated to it. It was noticeable from the beginning.
Jesus. It's not an excuse for anything, and how much it affects you is more mental/psychosomatic than anything else. Ever wonder how people in cold winter climates can wear t-shirts and shorts and barbecue outside in spring when it's 50 degrees out, but native southern Californians wear parkas, mittens, and scarfs in that temperature? You don't think they actually develop some magical skin covering or enzyme that makes the weather affect them less, do you? It affected some guys way more than others, and most of the ones affected by it most negatively, it didn't have to. The actual temperature also never got even close to 115 degrees.

-Signed, someone who has lived in Phoenix, Miami, Wisconsin, and Seattle.

Totally psychosomatic. Hence the need for IV to combat dehydration.

Also, it's ironic that a Cardinals fan would pretend it's not a factor when they had to build an indoor, air-conditomed stadium to combat Phoenix temps.

Give me a break.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Can we delete this thread? I know the Charger (and Niner) fans are coming in here seeing this title and getting a good laugh and just saying look at this pathetic fan base crying and making excuses about the heat being why they lost.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Rob12":nd6225ft said:
I believe you're right, but I hate that it is an excuse. We got outplayed.

Heat is a factor, but it is not THE factor. Should have figured out a way to handle the dink and dunk passing game and get defense off the field to cool off and rehydrate. Maybe calm the offense down and run the damn ball to heck tire out their defense in the same heat and give our defense a break, also try and re-gain some of that tempo. I saw a lot of our guys sitting on the side in the misters NOT drinking water. Pete admitted he did nothing to prepare them for the heat, so that says we came in unprepared. When teams come to Seattle they practice being ready for the noise, they try to wet the ball to be ready for the rain. I know we have staff that checks the weather report. Should have been wearing Sauna suits all week at practice.

Bad game plan, out played and not prepared well enough. Take the gut check Hawks, and lets stomp those Broncos.

Chawks1

Reaction score
ringless":24vriv3v said:
Then I have a question...

Do you guys win because of the rain?

No not the rain. Our home-field advantage is the 12th Man. Teams come in and say the noise wasn't a factor but they cant explain not playing their best game when they come to town. Give Chargers credit, they used their home-field advantage and it gave them an edge. They practiced in the heat and humidity. They wore their all whites and made the visiting team wear dark colors. It did contribute to our guys not being able to play their best game. But it wasn't the deciding factor.

Go Hawks!

Ozzy

Reaction score
No one is saying its THE reason we lost but to argue it didn't play a role is wrong. Didn't realize Roland was at buddhist monk status in regards to the elements....impressive.

Signed, someone who has lived all over the country as well.

ps I hate this excuse too but it played a small part. The main reason we lost was because of stupid mental mistakes and not getting the defense off the field.

blkhwk

Reaction score

Largent80

Reaction score
It was in the upper 90's all week in SD, and guess what?...The Chargers practice field is adjacent to the stadium, so YES, they practiced in it all week.

It isn't an excuse BUT it was a very large factor for OUR team, and even us fans who were't running around in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.