I'm telling you, heat was a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob12

Reaction score
It played a part for the Chargers as well.

I don't think we should deal in excuses like this, because I would guarantee that the players and coaches don't. San Diego executed to perfection yesterday. They played a better football game.

I don't know, to me it goes unsaid that the conditions were tough. But I wish it could be left unsaid. I don't think any of us like when other fan bases make excuses.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I still think losing Red(defensive Captain), Clem, and Thurmond in FA plus having Lane out had more to do with the D's ineffectiveness than anything else. Like I stated earlier here, we won in Carolina in awful heat last season.
This team is not as good defensively as we were last season. I noticed it in the GB game even though we won.
It is what it is thanks to the salary cap, which is why I hate it now because we finally have a filthy rich owner.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
Rob12":33njjf1n said:

I don't think we should deal in excuses like this, because I would guarantee that the players and coaches don't. San Diego executed to perfection yesterday. They played a better football game.

I don't know, to me it goes unsaid that the conditions were tough. But I wish it could be left unsaid. I don't think any of us like when other fan bases make excuses.

I don't think it matters what other fan bases do or say. When have we been in the business of trying to impress other fan bases?

Let the team focus how they will. Let the decide wether or not heat was a factor. They can do them.

For me, I'm telling you it was a factor. And it is an excuse. Because I don't think anyone here believes we would look like we did in fairer conditions. Now look, this is the biggest point. I'm not complaining about it. As in, I don't think it was UNFAIR. It was a home field advantage, just like we have ours. The point is, like i originally posted, this was not a normal seahawks game and I'm not worried one bit about how we executed during the game.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1s7piayz said:
Can we delete this thread? I know the Charger (and Niner) fans are coming in here seeing this title and getting a good laugh and just saying look at this pathetic fan base crying and making excuses about the heat being why they lost.
Who gives a crap what they think? Seriously. I don't give a poop.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Not an excuse but a huge factor.

SD has lives and can practice in their weather. I know it hasn't been as hot as it was Sunday down there, but their bodies are more conditioned their Seattle's are. Had it only been in the 90's it still would have been a factor against Seattle. How may 90 degree days does Seattle have annually?

Research shows what excessive heat does to the body regarding reaction time etc. This is a contributing factor to why the defense looked slow and couldn't get off the field.

Research also shows the lasting effects of dehydration can last up to a week. So do not be surprised if this results in a "hangover" effect next week.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2a3t4f57 said:
Jesus. It's not an excuse for anything, and how much it affects you is more mental/psychosomatic than anything else. Ever wonder how people in cold winter climates can wear t-shirts and shorts and barbecue outside in spring when it's 50 degrees out, but native southern Californians wear parkas, mittens, and scarfs in that temperature? You don't think they actually develop some magical skin covering or enzyme that makes the weather affect them less, do you? It affected some guys way more than others, and most of the ones affected by it most negatively, it didn't have to. The actual temperature also never got even close to 115 degrees.

-Signed, someone who has lived in Phoenix, Miami, Wisconsin, and Seattle.

First off Roland, your blood thins. That's how your body adapts. You don't need magical skin, you need time to adapt. Second, they announced that it was 120 degrees on the field.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Heat's only a factor if you make a bunch of stupid mistakes and penalties to prolong drives for the other team.............and for some reason can't cover a 65 year old TE that was almost a game scratch.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The stupid mistakes were huge in this game and going from shutting down Davis, Graham etc to getting owned by Gates killed us.

capncrunch

Reaction score
Cartire":3r50m4k4 said:
Rob12":3r50m4k4 said:

I don't think it matters what other fan bases do or say. When have we been in the business of trying to impress other fan bases?

Let the team focus how they will. Let the decide wether or not heat was a factor. They can do them.

For me, I'm telling you it was a factor. And it is an excuse. Because I don't think anyone here believes we would look like we did in fairer conditions. Now look, this is the biggest point. I'm not complaining about it. As in, I don't think it was UNFAIR. It was a home field advantage, just like we have ours. The point is, like i originally posted, this was not a normal seahawks game and I'm not worried one bit about how we executed during the game.

Yes, I think Cartire is pretty well inflated on his posts here. It was obviously a bad day to have your defense out there so long. Kind of a chicken or the egg conundrum. It was like torture watching the game for the most part though strangely I don't feel that badly about it today. I It does make next week's game very, very interesting. Thanks for the post.

Rob12

Reaction score
blkhwk":o3t1fatw said:
Not an excuse but a huge factor.

SD has lives and can practice in their weather. I know it hasn't been as hot as it was Sunday down there, but their bodies are more conditioned their Seattle's are. Had it only been in the 90's it still would have been a factor against Seattle. How may 90 degree days does Seattle have annually?

Research shows what excessive heat does to the body regarding reaction time etc. This is a contributing factor to why the defense looked slow and couldn't get off the field.

Research also shows the lasting effects of dehydration can last up to a week. So do not be surprised if this results in a "hangover" effect next week.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but yesterday was unseasonably warm. Even for the Chargers. You can't fail to mention that they had to play in the same conditions.

I've yet to hear/read a player or coach use this as an excuse.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
As a Niner fan you have to love Threads like this. Its so fun to skim these posts. Please keep writing about the weather and heat. Im off today, I could use more knowledge of the Seattle football players , the heat and how its their Kyptonite. Just a thought. You realize that half these guys are from south Texas, Virgina, Florida, Louisiana ect ect. You are the Super Bowl champs. Stop tainting your own team, its unbecoming.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1313hxok said:
I may be wrong, but aren't the same person that argues that time zones have zero effect on the human body and that it is all mental? Again, I could be wrong.
I am absolutely that person. Crossing three time zones has little to no impact. Crossing say, seven time zones? Entirely different story, and there IS certainly an impact there. Three? It's no friggin' different than staying up late on a Friday night and sleeping in Saturday morning three hours later than you usually wake up.

Your mental outlook on things plays a real-world role on almost everything you can experience in life. It's why there's a correlation for patients going through physical therapy after getting in a car wreck or what have you who have a positive outlook actually recovering more quickly than some that don't have a positive outlook about it. The brain is incredibly powerful, and how you mentally look at and handle things can have a tangible impact. "Jet lag" going from one coast to the other within the continental United States can affect you if you LET it. Your body will make sure of it. Go in knowing it won't affect you...And it won't, or at least nowhere near as much. That being said, there's strong evidence that jet lag isn't due to crossing time zones at all but in fact due to spending extended time at a different cabin altitude than what you're accustomed to. It's an interesting topic for anybody that cares to research it.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":5cy0d5fc said:
As a Niner fan you have to love Threads like this. Its so fun to skim these posts. Please keep writing about the weather and heat. Im off today, I could use more knowledge of the Seattle football players , the heat and how its their Kyptonite. Just a thought. You realize that half these guys are from south Texas, Virgina, Florida, Louisiana ect ect. You are the Super Bowl champs. Stop tainting your own team, its unbecoming.

I'll do what I want. And I don't need to impress you. Were having a conversation about acclimation and overall conditions.

I think I would prefer to have this convo with people who were there, because it's become obvious that people just don't fully understand the situation.

Unbecoming. Ha, what a stupid word. Don't try to sound too elitist. You have your own team to worry about.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Again to say it was the reason we lost is beyond stupid but I don't think anyone is saying that? Although I've been bouncing around the forum so could of missed something.

Bottom line: It played a part but was also self inflicted. Get off the field on third down and you can rest...simple as that.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3eq0qena said:
First off Roland, your blood thins. That's how your body adapts. You don't need magical skin, you need time to adapt. Second, they announced that it was 120 degrees on the field.
They were wrong. They showed a thermometer sitting out in the sun showing that temperature. You CANNOT take the temperature in direct sunlight, it's off by a LOT. You can hold a thermometer in direct sunlight in the middle of winter when it's 25 degrees outside and get it to show a temperature in the 50s, or even 60s.

HERE'S what the weather was ACTUALLY like in San Diego yesterday, per the National Weather Service. Obviously it's based on wherever they take their readings at in the San Diego area, but it's not like you're going to see a 20-degree difference a few mile away, or what have you.

http://www.weather.com/weather/pastweat ... A+USCA0982

Being more humid than usual for that area made people think it's a lot hotter than it was, but that also reduces dehydration, so. Either way, it's not an excuse. At all. For anything. Period. Let's stop treating it like one. The 49ers fan making fun of us over this is right.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":prg0nmp2 said:

QFT

Any factor that affects both teams is lame, especially for a team with the talent that we have.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
cesame":zwinvccd said:
Rivers avoiding the rush by stepping up in the pocket and throwing some absolute dimes impressed me the most

We got beat by a top 5 QB today. Rivers was just that good.

This is it. We were not the better team on this day. I think every time we lose someone blames the play calling, the refs, or some other excuse instead of saying hey we got beat by a good team. Time to get ready for the Broncos and forget this game.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Cartire":3rpqobvv said:
Bob loblaw":3rpqobvv said:

I'll do what I want. And I don't need to impress you. Were having a conversation about acclimation and overall conditions.

I think I would prefer to have this convo with people who were there, because it's become obvious that people just don't fully understand the situation.

Unbecoming. Ha, what a stupid word. Don't try to sound too elitist. You have your own team to worry about.

I say Unbecoming, you say heat was a factor. Guess we both have problems

Largent80

Reaction score
The oppressive heat was an incredible factor, it simply was. SD was 10/17 on 3rd down conversions....our D was gassed, and we had no shot in that heat.

I was there. I can't imagine running around in that heat.

Lets move on. If you do or don't think it was a factor.

Rob12

Reaction score
Cartire":1788xlu3 said:
Bob loblaw":1788xlu3 said:

Honestly man, I understand completely. I just don't agree with you. Would you also at least acknowledge that the Chargers are not quite acclimated to playing in 120 degree heat as well? Be fair about it at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.