I'm telling you, heat was a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Largent80

Reaction score
The Chargers game plan was because of the conditions. They were smart.

If we would have been able to get some stops on 3rd down we win easily. In spite of heat.

Look at our LB play, then say, there ya go.

KJ?...guess what dude, unless you start playing for your "contract year" like it means something you are gone.

Stiletto

Reaction score
It’s true that the Chargers outplayed the Hawks. It’s also true that the Chargers had a distinct advantage in being acclimated to the heat and conditions associated with playing in San Diego on a blistering day. It’s not an “either or situation” but a “both and” situation. These two truths are not mutually exclusive folks.

Rivers and Gates played out of their minds to be sure. But to say that the heat was “equally” disadvantageous to both teams seems a tad ridiculous. Bodies adapt to
such conditions over time – I don’t think that’s difficult to substantiate. San Diego players live, practice and play in those conditions regularly. To recognize that is not to make an excuse but to simply see it for what it is. It’s going to be a disadvantage for the team who doesn't play in such conditions regularly to expect their bodies to play at peak performance.

Can a team adapt and game plan around such a challenge? I think so. And if we had that game to play over perhaps we do some things differently in terms of player substitutions or game prep in one form or another – I dunno. But to argue that “The Chargers had to play in it too……” dismisses the reality of forcing your body into a situation that its not accustomed to and for which there is no way to prepare.

It doesn't making winning impossible, it just means winning in such conditions has to be game-planned for just like apposing teams must plan for the real challenge of playing against noise at the CLINK.

Onward and upward. Bring on the Broncos.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1dlux9yr said:
But to suggest that the heat played zero factor is ludicrous. It makes a nice theoretical argument, but it ignores reality.
Show me where I suggested that heat played ZERO factor. What's annoying me is the number of people acting like it's why we lost, and making threads about how it was a factor. Talk about suggesting.

People be all like, "I'm not saying we lost BECAUSE of the heat, but man, was that heat a factor...trailing off.......giving a suggestive look...a couple winks...nudge nudge......."

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":8j647t80 said:
volsunghawk":8j647t80 said:
But to suggest that the heat played zero factor is ludicrous. It makes a nice theoretical argument, but it ignores reality.
Show me where I suggested that heat played ZERO factor. What's annoying me is the number of people acting like it's why we lost, and making threads about how it was a factor. Talk about suggesting.

People be all like, "I'm not saying we lost BECAUSE of the heat, but man, was that heat a factor...trailing off.......giving a suggestive look...a couple winks...nudge nudge......."

When you say that it affected both teams equally, that's essentially saying it wasn't really a factor at all.

Roland be all like, "I'm not saying the heat WASN'T a factor, but man, both teams had to play in it..."

I think Stiletto's post sums things up nicely. This isn't an either/or scenario, but a both/and one.

Largent80

Reaction score
Vols, since you live in Colo, you know about "the air is thinner up there, it really affected us" cliche.

While part of that is true, I think the conditions there yesterday were as close to extreme as possible to play a game.

I am just happy everyone made it out of there in fair shape. Some Fans of both teams were being taken out on stretchers.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2lkvwvlh said:
Vols, since you live in Colo, you know about "the air is thinner up there, it really affected us" cliche.

I can vouch for the thin air thing here. Olympic athletes train here for a reason, and it ain't the outstanding scenery. If you can build endurance here, you can exploit it in more oxygen-rich areas. It's an advantage.

If Denver ever manages to snag a SB hosting gig, both teams better fly out immediately after the conference championship games, is all I'm saying.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Temperature and thinner air are completely and utterly different, you can't compare them at ALL for the purposes of this discussion.

Also, Volsung, no - what I'm saying is, and it's very OBVIOUS this is what I'm saying, what factor it DID have affected both teams...Unless as I mentioned before, Chargers players were running around with air conditioners strapped to their backs.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":129dj80v said:
Temperature and thinner air are completely and utterly different, you can't compare them at ALL for the purposes of this discussion.

Also, Volsung, no - what I'm saying is, and it's very OBVIOUS this is what I'm saying, what factor it DID have affected both teams...Unless as I mentioned before, Chargers players were running around with air conditioners strapped to their backs.

Or Chargers players live in San Diego and are used to exerting themselves in that climate, mitigating the effects for them to at least some degree.

Stiletto

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":t5vvf40x said:

It goes without saying that heat affects both teams. It should also go without saying that it does not affect both teams equally - which is the point under contention. The air in Denver affects both teams that play there, but it affects one team to a much larger degree as they are not conditioned to playing in it regularly. And yes I can use the air in Denver as a comparable. While it's not the same as heat, it’s a "condition" that affects the body and an element that one can become conditioned to over time if exposed to it.

I don’t see that as very controversial at all. It just seems to be common sense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":davqxjfr said:
RolandDeschain":davqxjfr said:

Or Chargers players live in San Diego and are used to exerting themselves in that climate, mitigating the effects for them to at least some degree.

The average high temperature in SD is 57 degrees in the winter and 72 degrees in the summer. So get the heck out of here with this argument. The Charger's were no more used to 100 degrees on the field than we were.

Largent80

Reaction score
Here is the funny thing, I am watching the game for the 1st time on tv since I was actually at the game, and I see so many players gasping and actually hoping for a substitution.

Numerous times I saw Maxwell asking for the coverage, because no huddle and no communication. He is literarlly throwing up his arms in a What is it? question.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Stiletto":xbaidunm said:
And yes I can use the air in Denver as a comparable. While it's not the same as heat, it’s a "condition" that affects the body and an element that one can become conditioned to over time if exposed to it.
No. You can't. The way it affects the human body is completely and utterly different, and there's a period of acclimation that you can't get over through sheer mental willpower for the thinner air. It's not AT ALL like playing in a higher temperature.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":32v83hgf said:
Stiletto":32v83hgf said:
And yes I can use the air in Denver as a comparable. While it's not the same as heat, it’s a "condition" that affects the body and an element that one can become conditioned to over time if exposed to it.
No. You can't. The way it affects the human body is completely and utterly different, and there's a period of acclimation that you can't get over through sheer mental willpower for the thinner air. It's not AT ALL like playing in a higher temperature.

Go write a book. You are wasting your talents here on .net. Seriously, go.

Stiletto

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3kdm1ckb said:
Stiletto":3kdm1ckb said:

I never said the way it affects the body is the same. I said it's an element that one can become conditioned to over time - like higher temps.

I was almost hospitalized for heat stroke and I was not going to get over it through "sheer mental willpower". I simply was not accustomed to exerting myself in that kind of heat/humidity. Why do you think every time we get a heat wave here in WA the news reports start talking about taking extra precautions with the young and elderly? It's because we are not as acclimated to the heat and when it comes, Washintonians are not conditioned to it the same way people are that live in it all the time are.

Nobody can tell me that people that work in AZ doing construction are not more acclimated to the heat conditions than people who do construction in WA.

minormillikin

Reaction score
I was about 15 rows up and good God was it hot. Not anything like the kind of hot it gets at a sunny day at the VMAC. It was oppressively hot with sweat sucking humidity on top.

I originally thought it wouldn't be a factor because they practice on some pretty hot days, and it's not like all Seahawks players are from the mild northwest. I think I was wrong though. This was a special kind of hot, and it was surely a factor. Probably good for about 7 points.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1gbloc1v said:
volsunghawk":1gbloc1v said:
RolandDeschain":1gbloc1v said:

The average high temperature in SD is 57 degrees in the winter and 72 degrees in the summer. So get the heck out of here with this argument. The Charger's were no more used to 100 degrees on the field than we were.

Average doesn't do anything for this debate. Do you think San Diego sees more 100 degree days than Seattle does?

Uffda

Reaction score
That Miami game a few seasons ago, temperature seemed to be a factor in that loss also.

Riley12

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3hk8t5n2 said:
Can we delete this thread? I know the Charger (and Niner) fans are coming in here seeing this title and getting a good laugh and just saying look at this pathetic fan base crying and making excuses about the heat being why they lost.

Charger fans coming here: Who cares. We'll see them again next preseason and in a real game four years from now.

Niner fans coming here: Ha! They're busy bailing water as their ship is sinking pretty fast, giving up a 20 point lead in Santa Clara, due to their money pit/turnover machine Krapondick.

Status
Not open for further replies.