I'm telling you, heat was a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Quit whining about 85 degrees and humidity. Next to the water? Waaahhh... Try living in Michigan for a Summer.
The team knew about the conditions before hand.
They played like dog poo. Get over the excuses. I guess I wasn't as convinced as many here about how good we are this year, especially the D.
They will regroup and hopefully this coming weekend another win is on the horizon. I hope they play very angry just for sheer embarrassment from this last game. GoHawks!

Largent80

Reaction score
TRIODEROB":1343ff5l said:
Charger fan here-

everyone said you guys were a bad match up for us but we were a bad match up for you.

this time of year San Diego gets about 2-3 horrible weather days.

your bad luck was that you got the worst day and the worst time of the whole year.

the stadium is very hot inside on a day like that - its brutal

combine that with the fact you were playing a ball control team with a Q-back at his peak in that function and you guys were doomed - we had the advantage over you.

on the other hand you still have a super talented team and a ring

just shows that football is like boxing - styles make fights

Excellent post. Thank you.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
Haha, Roland. Stop with the temps of San Diego. This was inside a stadium with 70,000 people. The heat was far more extreme in the stadium then outside of it.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":1zccm90l said:
As a Niner fan you have to love Threads like this. Its so fun to skim these posts. Please keep writing about the weather and heat. Im off today, I could use more knowledge of the Seattle football players , the heat and how its their Kyptonite. Just a thought. You realize that half these guys are from south Texas, Virgina, Florida, Louisiana ect ect. You are the Super Bowl champs. Stop tainting your own team, its unbecoming.
Why don't you go away and analyze why your team's QB threw 3 pics. Also, losing at home to a beat up Chicago team? LOL. Yeah, just come on a Seahawk board to troll.....Whatever makes you feel better after the at home meltdown. Did you sleep better after posting this trolling comment TROLL?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Largent80":254qiurk said:
Were you THERE?

If you weren't your argument is it wasn't that hot and it had no affect.

IF you were there, your argument is heat WAS a factor.

Clear enough?
Lol. So because I wasn't in the heat adjacent to you on that day, I don't know what it's like? Good one, bro. I've been in much hotter temps than what you were in yesterday, plenty of times.

Largent80":254qiurk said:
Roland. My wife actually almost fainted, just drinking water, totally sober, and in the shade. Do you need any more proof really?
As I said before the stadium is INLAND, away from the cooling effect of coastal regions.
RastaHawks wife was also in the same boat. This isn't some made up, willy nilly thing. Hawks had 17:45 of Time of possession. SD 10/17 on 3rd down...the heat got to our defense and that is why we lost
Then you better contact the Chargers front office and ask what their magical anti-heat regimen is that nobody else living in the San Diego area knows about.

jblaze

Reaction score
It was a factor. How much, we don't know but it was a factor. The guys looks sluggish and Kam, specifically, had 7 missed tackles. 2 less than he had all last year. Something was amiss.

That and Rivers balled out. They hit on all cylinders and we played poorly defensively and we still had a chance to win at the end of the game. We'll be fine.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I want an honest answer from the people who think heat doesn't make a difference in athletic function: How often do you exercise outside?

Because as someone who runs three times a week, let me tell you: the fall temperatures (in the morning) have about a 20 degree difference. I can run further, faster, with less fatigue in 65 degree weather than I can in 85, even after acclimation. Hydration is a serious issue in weather. Seattle was not properly prepared for it. If you're making your judgments from a sedentary, or climate controlled gym, you're full of it. (Or tacitly admitting you are wrong because you have to use AC.)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Greenhell":1l8rmut0 said:
I think another member here who was at the game was saying the stadium ran out of bottled water at the end of the 3rd qtr. Unacceptable.
Absolutely, ridiculously unacceptable. Agreed. But unless all the water stopped running in the bathrooms and water fountains, one could easily refill them; or buy diet soda.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2u335hme said:
I want an honest answer from the people who think heat doesn't make a difference in athletic function: How often do you exercise outside?

Because as someone who runs three times a week, let me tell you: the fall temperatures (in the morning) have about a 20 degree difference. I can run further, faster, with less fatigue in 65 degree weather than I can in 85, even after acclimation. Hydration is a serious issue in weather. Seattle was not properly prepared for it. If you're making your judgments from a sedentary, or climate controlled gym, you're full of it. (Or tacitly admitting you are wrong because you have to use AC.)
I have not said it makes no difference. I just cycled 44 miles a few Saturdays ago when it was in the low 90s and went through the 2-liter Platypus water bladder in my backpack in like 75 minutes, and had to stop at a McDonald's where they let me refill it. It makes a big difference. After I finished my ride, I literally had a crust of white salt on my arms from the salt from my sweat that I had to shake off, it was weird. It takes serious effort to keep yourself properly hydrated when you're vigorously exercising in hot weather. My problem is with the people that are claiming it hit 118 or whatever because of stupid Fox Sports sticking a thermometer in direct sunshine, and using whatever temperature it actually DID reach as an excuse. The Chargers had to play in it, too.

Largent80":2u335hme said:
Whatever.

OK, it wasn't hot, the Hawks suck, fire Bevell.....jeez.
Again, I'm not saying it wasn't hot. I'm saying it wasn't close to 118 degrees hot, and that since the Chargers had to play in it too, it cannot be used as a competitive disadvantage toward the Seahawks.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":10pxll1n said:
Again, I'm not saying it wasn't hot. I'm saying it wasn't close to 118 degrees hot, and that since the Chargers had to play in it too, it cannot be used as a competitive disadvantage toward the Seahawks.

So weird they decided to not play in there home colors 4 days ago. Fore something that seems to have zero advantage, they decided anyway to waste the money on a PR campaign informing everyone from San Diego to wear white.

Why bother if it doesn't matter?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2nsfk7ef said:

Again, there were TWO teams out on the field!

The difference is only one team's defense couldn't get off the field due to stupid penalties, blown coverages and poor execution. Stop with the heat nonsense.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":s45xjqei said:
Jesus, IT NEVER EVEN REACHED TRIPLE DIGITS, people! I'm losing my damn mind up in here.

san_diego_weather_091414.png

Yeah. Seriously folks, you should see what the HS football teams have to play in out here in Muggy Michigan. The Dew points and humidity is much higher than it was in SD. Sorry, but that forcast just looks uncomfortable, not miserable. Well, not compared to what some of the young kids and college students out here had to go through recently.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":11ea94e7 said:
RolandDeschain":11ea94e7 said:
Jesus, IT NEVER EVEN REACHED TRIPLE DIGITS, people! I'm losing my damn mind up in here.

san_diego_weather_091414.png

Yeah. Seriously folks, you should see what the HS football teams have to play in out here in Muggy Michigan. The Dew points and humidity is much higher than it was in SD. Sorry, but that forcast just looks uncomfortable, not miserable. Well, not compared to what some of the young kids and college students out here had to go through recently.
Heck, that's a beautiful day in Missouri.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Cartire":21y916n1 said:
So weird they decided to not play in there home colors 4 days ago. Fore something that seems to have zero advantage, they decided anyway to waste the money on a PR campaign informing everyone from San Diego to wear white.

Well, PR-related reasons aside trying not to let the 12th Man overshadow their own fans, read these:
http://fcmdsc.wordpress.com/2010/07/21/ ... ing-black/
http://www.dwell.com/interviews/article ... douin-tent
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v2 ... 373a0.html
The last one is a little misleading because it doesn't go into the hydration aspect, but author William McDonough spent time with Bedouins and had this to say:
William McDonough":21y916n1 said:
As a young person, I could not understand why the Bedouin wore all these layers of black clothing while it was 49 degrees C with no shade, nor why their tents were black. I was staying in a British white canvas tent, wearing shorts and khakis. Then I realised that the Bedouin were protecting themselves from ultraviolet. They were holding in their moisture. The average Bedouin lives on a litre of water a day; I was living on 19 litres a day.

Loose clothing is far more important than the color, but black allows more breathing from your own 98.6-degree body heat as well; it's a complicated topic, which you can research at your leisure if you care to, but basically loose black clothing is the best in extreme heat, particularly when there's at least a mild breeze. You also don't want your own sweat to evaporate off of your body when it comes to keeping hydrated.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ik63akn0 said:
Cartire":ik63akn0 said:

Well, PR-related reasons aside trying not to let the 12th Man overshadow their own fans, read these:
http://fcmdsc.wordpress.com/2010/07/21/ ... ing-black/
http://www.dwell.com/interviews/article ... douin-tent
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v2 ... 373a0.html
The last one is a little misleading because it doesn't go into the hydration aspect, but author William McDonough spent time with Bedouins and had this to say:
William McDonough":ik63akn0 said:
As a young person, I could not understand why the Bedouin wore all these layers of black clothing while it was 49 degrees C with no shade, nor why their tents were black. I was staying in a British white canvas tent, wearing shorts and khakis. Then I realised that the Bedouin were protecting themselves from ultraviolet. They were holding in their moisture. The average Bedouin lives on a litre of water a day; I was living on 19 litres a day.

Loose clothing is far more important than the color, but black allows more breathing from your own 98.6-degree body heat as well; it's a complicated topic, which you can research at your leisure if you care to, but basically loose black clothing is the best in extreme heat, particularly when there's at least a mild breeze. You also don't want your own sweat to evaporate off of your body when it comes to keeping hydrated.
Correct. When I worked in Suadi Arabia back in the 1990's I wore pajama weight pants an oversized 3/4 sleeve light jersey shirt with a doo rag and desert military floppy hat. The key was that I was completely covered and in loose fitting clothes. I was using 5-6 litres of water a day.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":eoboj7vp said:
Yep. It's largely psychosomatic. Can't tell you how many Californians I've seen visiting here that will sit and complain about it being cold when the temperature is like 64 degrees. People in SoCal are used to this never-changing balmy 70s dry weather that goes into the 80s sometimes too, but leave their normal comfort zone and OH MY GOD IT'S HORRIBLE. Lol.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2t6a35jl said:
Correct. When I worked in Suadi Arabia back in the 1990's I wore pajama weight pants an oversized 3/4 sleeve light jersey shirt with a doo rag and desert military floppy hat. The key was that I was completely covered and in loose fitting clothes. I was using 5-6 litres of water a day.
High five, Mizzou. I wish more people would care to actually research stuff themselves rather than believe whatever is parroted at them by other people. "Someone said it so it must be true"....Ugh.

Largent80

Reaction score
B.S. Roland. I lived in Seattle for 32 years.

Go ahead, keep saying it wasn't hot, even though it's been pointed out by not only us fans but even Earl Thomas.

Jeezus dude, I love ya like a bro, but on this, I gotta say....relax.

ivotuk

Reaction score
TRIODEROB":34t0j3x8 said:
Charger fan here-

everyone said you guys were a bad match up for us but we were a bad match up for you.

this time of year San Diego gets about 2-3 horrible weather days.

your bad luck was that you got the worst day and the worst time of the whole year.

the stadium is very hot inside on a day like that - its brutal

combine that with the fact you were playing a ball control team with a Q-back at his peak in that function and you guys were doomed - we had the advantage over you.

on the other hand you still have a super talented team and a ring

just shows that football is like boxing - styles make fights

Excellent post.

I don't think anyone here is saying that heat caused us to lose the game. Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates caused us to lose that game along with a turnover and some stupid penalties by Zach, JR, and Bruce.

But like the OP's title says, he was a "factor." To say it wasn't is to say that the heat had zero effect. That's like saying weather doesn't effect Drew Brees (check the stats) and that playing in Lambeau or Soldier Field in the December and January doesn't effect warm weather or dome teams.

Weather is a factor to football games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts